Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jul 2003, 22:05 (Ref:655305)   #26
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After reading Stoddard's interview on pitpass.com, I have to agree w/ Minardi's position. Minardi is not where they are due to bad management. In fact I imagine it takes quite brilliant management to be where they are on their budget.

I have a new respect for Stoddard and Team Minardi. If the smaller teams are taking a hit on the fighting fund AND the customer engine issues, what leverage have they other than their veto of new regs?
Old 7 Jul 2003, 23:01 (Ref:655355)   #27
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi has no rights to anything.The fia tried to help but did it all wrong.The teams suggested a help package but the fia said 'nah,we'll do it our way' and stuffed up everything.The fia's motives were definitely right but, being a lawyer,max has no clue.
Stoddart has been whinging constantly since not long after comming into f1.He started off by having big plans for the future and i allmost believed him(he is a very rich man and seemed to be prepared to spend his own money).Soon though it became clear he was only talking things up and wanted other peoples money to get minardi up the grid.
Then it was quite a shock to hear that he haddn't even the budget in place for the first year!!!!
Of course he could have paid for it himself but instead he whinged,*****ed and complained until he got the many million dollars worth of benifits that were due to prost.
This year it's more complaining and threats untill the others pay for his hobby.
The only good reason minardi should be in f1 is for the fans and 'f1 needs privateers'.
Minardi aren't needed to make up the numbers and they are really not wanted anymore by the other teams because of pauls constant complaining.
The team has an undeniably great reputation (even though it's not for winning) ...how long before stoddart p*sses off the last remaining fans and ruins any respect the team has left??
It's easy to imagine that the other team owners have ALLREADY decided to dump paul stoddart/minardi and are just working out the least damaging way to do it.It's no use having someone around that damages f1 wether he's happy or not!
Old 8 Jul 2003, 04:55 (Ref:655484)   #28
RWC
Veteran

I just read the excellent article in pitpass.com,it sure is interesting.
I have a few points:PS says that he was proven right that minardi was legaly entitled to the 'top ten constructors' travel benifits but that's just his (biased) opinion.It was never tested in court-bernie or max simply said 'right,i'm taking this money that was due to prost and i'm giving it to minardi.Anyone who doesn't like that can take me to court'.
Only tom walkingshaw really had issue with that and he didn't have the time or money to chase his share of it though the courts.
As for f1 needing 20 cars ...I have heard elswhere from several scources that the number is 18.Who's telling the truth?
Paul stoddart's version of what was supposed to happen with the support money is paul stoddarts version only.
I'd argue about PS version of how much it would cost to run 3rd cars but in the end that's their decision,not minardis.
Ron Dennis and whoever else ARE the bad guys in the bodywork changes-a case of big business saying how the cars should look.And the comment that max has bought rule stability is just comtemptuous!!
PS says that the fia retained traction control ONLY because the '10 mil euro engines'had been agreed to but it's common knowledge that the fia only backed down when williams and maclaren took max up on his offer of taking the fia to court.
LOL-notice when he's explaining where the 16mil fighting fund was coming from,he said of the arrows money- 'other competing teams'should share it'-not minardi should get it all as they did prosts money.Double standards in interpretation of the rules there!
Yes,too bad the big teams argument with max & bernie is hurting minardi but it's not the big teams FAULT it's happening.
What's pauls beef with teams feeling they have to be SEEN spending money?Do potential sponsors baulk at supporting minardi because they are not wasting money?Stupid argument.
The examples given of charity in f1 are totally incorrect but the point is irrelevant-f1 can choose to be charitable or not.It is f1's choice,not pauls right.

All in all i now have a certain respect for this man but he must realise that no-one owes him anything!He is taking desperate measures 9and stretching the truth)to stay in business and it's not wise to say the very least.

I wonder what he will ask for next year?.....and is bernie going to tip more in?...that completely depends on wether bernie needs a bargaining chip or not.Minardi's future is now tied to a hoorid wheeler dealer/political manipulator who will think nothing of letting the team die when it's usefullness is passed
Unfortunately minardis future is going to be sullied even more

Last edited by RWC; 8 Jul 2003 at 04:59.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 16:33 (Ref:655977)   #29
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
All in all i now have a certain respect for this man but he must realise that no-one owes him anything!
If his version of events are more or less accurate, what is owed him is for Ron Dennis and Frank Williams to keep their word. If new entry into F1 is virtually impossible, whether due to politics, cost or technological requirement (cost), F1 and its fans have a vested interest in keeping teams like Minardi, Jordan and Sauber competing. This is the truth Bernie confirms by his support of Minardi. Although Paul comes off as desparate, I won't label him a whiner because he is the only one to raise his hand and offer a viewpoint counter to the big teams.

I'd like to hear Jordan's candid remarks on this subject, but he seems unlikely to raise his head above the parapet at this point.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 16:52 (Ref:655994)   #30
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by badoer fan
But when *did* it actually mean more overtaking?
it's obvious that the better drivers wil overtake more since they are the ones with the most feeling in their right foot, that would mean you will see the same drivers that perform well in the rain doing better when there's no more TC.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 16:59 (Ref:656003)   #31
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ouch. The tone of this thread is getting a bit nasty.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 20:15 (Ref:656196)   #32
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If his version of events are more or less accurate, what is owed him is for Ron Dennis and Frank Williams to keep their word. If new entry into F1 is virtually impossible, whether due to politics, cost or technological requirement (cost), F1 and its fans have a vested interest in keeping teams like Minardi, Jordan and Sauber competing.
Ron has been quite specific about this. There have been talks about the Fighting Fund, but the Fund would always have to meet certain criteria and conditions. Paul only heard Ron agreeing, no strings attached, but thats Paul's lack of reality speaking.

Besides, Minardi isn't contributing to any of the races, the other teams are, or have been in the recent past (Jordan). So, I wouldn't miss Minardi one bit if they'd go broke. Not only wouldn't I miss them, I would applaude seeing a teamowner trying to damage Formula 1 as a sport and an enterprise, without contributing anything to it, leave the premissis. This has gone on for far too long now, it's time someone puts a stop to it.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 20:17 (Ref:656197)   #33
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by badoer fan
Not necessarily. I can barely remember any drivers really making many mistakes when they didn't have driving aids.
Very true. TC can be heared, but can hardly be seen. These are topdrivers. TC or no TC, the difference is minimal for them and for us.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 08:29 (Ref:656601)   #34
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Neil C
I have a new respect for Stoddard and Team Minardi.
So do i,
i always assumed that F1 was a ruthess money grabbing world but that shows a whole new, more vicious aspect that i didn't expect.
Im still into the old school of thinking that when you promise something 'thats a contract' and 'verbal contracts are, i think, legally binding.
The problem is when it comes to prove that it existed.
Ron and Frank im ashamed of you!!!
And as for Eddie, the comment about yellow was just about right.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 08:39 (Ref:656609)   #35
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey 6 litre

And as for Eddie, the comment about yellow was just about right.
What's changed since forever then?
Old 9 Jul 2003, 08:44 (Ref:656618)   #36
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
Besides, Minardi isn't contributing to any of the races, the other teams are, or have been in the recent past (Jordan). So, I wouldn't miss Minardi one bit if they'd go broke. Not only wouldn't I miss them, I would applaude seeing a teamowner trying to damage Formula 1 as a sport and an enterprise, without contributing anything to it, leave the premissis. This has gone on for far too long now, it's time someone puts a stop to it.
Mianrdi not contributing anything? What about the sheer romance and excitement of a minnow trying to take on companies 1000 times the size? One vital link to the days Giving debuts to Wilson, Webber, Alonso, Fisichella, Trulli and many others?

Paul Stoddart is not trying to damage F1, he is trying to save it from being swallowed up by its greed and myopia. Unfortuantely, F1 fans taking this perspective have fallen foul of the same thinking.

Toyota have had a negative impact on virtually every championship they have ever been involved in, why is no one clamouring for them to be removed? Blinded by the rpestige, or the $ signs?
Old 9 Jul 2003, 13:33 (Ref:656867)   #37
RWC
Veteran

It probably looks like i came across as dead against stoddart but i would like to see minardi (and yes,even stoddart himself) do well in f1.
This is an argument bettween the big guys and they're using the small guys as pawns(allthough i think nether max nor the big teams meant to!)
Oh,Neil C...i wouldn't be giving bernie credit for saving minardi just yet.He'll do whatever he wants-just as he allways does.
With luck,minardi will be worth money to him after he's used them-that is the ONLY hope for their survival

Last edited by RWC; 9 Jul 2003 at 13:35.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 13:41 (Ref:656873)   #38
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I heard on the news this morning Minardi are getting 2.5 million GBP from the other teams so as the Silverstone result won't be void.

Seem's it worked out then..
Old 9 Jul 2003, 14:57 (Ref:656926)   #39
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tis a shame, would have been nice to see the drivers having a go at Silverstone as opposed to the software designers.....

Can Paul try and get them to use gearsticks aswell, he seems quite able at persuading them to give him money!
Old 9 Jul 2003, 14:57 (Ref:656927)   #40
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul says he does'nt know anything about that...........
Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:22 (Ref:656960)   #41
UKFFORDSTER
Rookie

UKFFORDSTER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
Weren't Bernie and Max having a squabble a while ago?

Bernie may have pulled off a masterstroke chess move here
Agreed - Bernie is 'GOD' He will make f1, break f1, decide what he wants and what makes him money and then he will go and get it!
Or Maybe that was my dream last night and really we all live in a Politically Correct world free of corruption and back handers...
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

F1 is cartel city... nothing would suprise me

Paul Stoddart is a breath of fresh air, he is willing to say something and go against the flow... He will end up like a salmon and get tired of going in the opposite direction and we will have an All Italian run F1 team called Minardi next year.

I must remember to take my pills

Last edited by UKFFORDSTER; 9 Jul 2003 at 15:24.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 19:18 (Ref:657229)   #42
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
Paul says he does'nt know anything about that...........
Suprised about that, it was on BBC News 24, usually a 'reputable' news source..
Old 10 Jul 2003, 09:54 (Ref:657715)   #43
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Seem's it worked out then..
hope so, go Stodard, rustle those feathers, the fat cats have had it easy for too long, i like people who stir up s t