Old 2 Jul 2007, 12:17 (Ref:1952247)   #26
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen
Niki Lauda also commented on the incident:"I hope they don't let him start next race, he should be banned from F1, this was the most stupid thing I've ever seen in Formula 1".

And the FIA have given Albers a 5000 Euro fine for dangerous driving.
Yes, it looks like a career ending move by Albers, I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced, even before Silverstone. His pit crew must be pig-biting mad!
Old 2 Jul 2007, 13:12 (Ref:1952287)   #27
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Van der Garde completed 5 laps in the test before humping the Spyker into the wall at Becketts.

There is no problem with the Mechanics as they did all they needed to do.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 13:28 (Ref:1952311)   #28
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
There is no problem with the Mechanics as they did all they needed to do.
I'd like hear that from the mechanics themselves
Old 2 Jul 2007, 13:38 (Ref:1952320)   #29
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd say make Albers get out and pump his own fuel, just like the rest of us.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 13:41 (Ref:1952325)   #30
McKendrick
Rookie

England
London
McKendrick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=FPV GTHO]At the very least, perhaps the pit crew mechanics should be recognised by the FIA as trained. By that i mean like the drivers have to have superlicenses and pass medical tests, the mechanics need to pass FIA competancy tests.

Whilst these mistakes seem to be split between the mechanics, the driver and the pit controller, it seems to reason that making sure the mechanics as well as drivers are recognised as competant would surely leave less danger.

The mechanics of an F1 team are all highly trained and experienced. They have to be to get into F1. I think they may all be qualified enough to change a wheel, jack the car up or add fuel to the car in a pit stop. You have to remember that the teams are constantly practicing this. There will always be mistakes every now and then though because at the end of the day they are all human. As everyone working in motorsport knows there is a risk, but we all accept this. Pitstops occur in most major race series and the amount of accidents that actually happen are a very small percentage of the number of stops performed.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 13:51 (Ref:1952338)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I he gets canned I don't want to hear any "Albers is toast" comments.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 13:59 (Ref:1952344)   #32
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
You'll have to explain that one to us colonials
Old 2 Jul 2007, 14:01 (Ref:1952345)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Doh!

The complaints about pit stops revolve around the risk of fire.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 14:18 (Ref:1952364)   #34
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Quote:
Doh!

The complaints about pit stops revolve around the risk of fire.
Sometimes the obvious escapes me (at my age). I was expecting something like "we were brought up on Albers Rusks"
Old 2 Jul 2007, 14:30 (Ref:1952377)   #35
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's clear that Albers caused the incident yesterday. But still then, it showed the danger of refuelling. Without refuelling something like this couldn't have happened.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 14:33 (Ref:1952383)   #36
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Red Hot Dutch Arouses FIA Interest
Old 2 Jul 2007, 14:41 (Ref:1952395)   #37
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe we should have compulsory driver changes with every refueling stop. Just think how many more drivers would be in F1!
Old 2 Jul 2007, 15:01 (Ref:1952424)   #38
CDK 7
Racer

United Kingdom
kings lynn
CDK 7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton Irwin
Maybe we should have compulsory driver changes with every refueling stop. Just think how many more drivers would be in F1!

one or more drivers would be good make it fun
Old 2 Jul 2007, 15:06 (Ref:1952432)   #39
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have just had a quick view of the incident again to compare with Albers' comments ("I thought the lollipop lifted").

I honestly cannot see how he presumed this. Perhaps Spyker could facilitate the use of guide dogs for any future driving Albers does for them.

Unbelievable. I think that's the last we'll see of him in a race.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 15:10 (Ref:1952435)   #40
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Nasty incident without question, though I wondered how long it would take for something like this to happen, there have been a few close calls over the years.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 15:17 (Ref:1952441)   #41
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen
Niki Lauda also commented on the incident:"I hope they don't let him start next race, he should be banned from F1, this was the most stupid thing I've ever seen in Formula 1".

And the FIA have given Albers a 5000 Euro fine for dangerous driving.
€5000 is not enough, for a major disaster like that, the FIA are taking the ****.
Niki is right they shouldn't let him start the next race, and they also shouldn't let Spyker run the car at all. The team was dumb enough to run him should suffer too.

Bet the Gascoyne hairdryer was on turbo after that
Old 2 Jul 2007, 15:33 (Ref:1952456)   #42
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12
...they also shouldn't let Spyker run the car at all. The team was dumb enough to run him should suffer too.
Spyker are blameless. They have employed a competent and experienced F1 driver, and he has made a stupid error. Calls for Albers to be banned are a bit OTT, I reckon.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 17:50 (Ref:1952602)   #43
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luckily, no one was hurt by this mistake. The FIA obviously had to do something, so Albers got a fine. That's OK, though not exactly cheap for a pay driver. Albers needs to practice some pit stops now and it should all work well again.
Van der Garde still doesn't have his superlicense, because Super Aguri brought him before the Contract Recognition Board, right?
So Albers will most likely stay in the race seat until the end of the season.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:40 (Ref:1952662)   #44
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick
The FIA obviously had to do something,
Maybe the FIA ought to introduce a rule that states that team's must leave the car up on the jacks until re-fueling is completed? At least a heavy footed driver can't actually go anywhere if he makes a mistake whilst the fuel rig is still attached.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:46 (Ref:1952672)   #45
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes,

It is not Spyker's fault that their driver failed to think.

That said I did think the lollipop moved upward so at the time I sympathised with Albers.

Taking what's been said here and indeed the discussion in the race thread I revert to my position that he really does not deserve a drive in F1.

But he is there and he should see out the season.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1952677)   #46
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKendrick
The mechanics of an F1 team are all highly trained and experienced. They have to be to get into F1. I think they may all be qualified enough to change a wheel, jack the car up or add fuel to the car in a pit stop. You have to remember that the teams are constantly practicing this. There will always be mistakes every now and then though because at the end of the day they are all human. As everyone working in motorsport knows there is a risk, but we all accept this. Pitstops occur in most major race series and the amount of accidents that actually happen are a very small percentage of the number of stops performed.
Whoo hoo common sense at last.

Motorsport is dangerous, it says so on the tickets and on the fence outside the pit lane.

Pit stops are dangerous, a pit lane is dangerous full stop. Mistakes happen especially in a race environment. Surely the fact that Albers and his crew weren't engulfed in an inferno indicates that the safety systems are there to avoid that happening?

An F1 pit lane is the most controlled pit lane I've seen, there are no punters, no guests and all team personnel near the car are suited and booted in fireproofs.

And I thought I was anti-risk!
Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:54 (Ref:1952679)   #47
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be fair to Albers the lollipop did lift, although this was a milisecond before he would of hit it.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:54 (Ref:1952681)   #48
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's an onboard of it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=My-rL46UlKc

The lollipop doesn't move up at all. The way Albers goes, it's as if he's on a suicide mission.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:56 (Ref:1952687)   #49
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spyker needs the money, that's why...
Old 2 Jul 2007, 19:00 (Ref:1952692)   #50
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Here's an onboard of it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=My-rL46UlKc

The lollipop doesn't move up at all. The way Albers goes, it's as if he's on a suicide mission.
Looking at that, the only thing i can think is as the lollipop guy turn's the "pop" around (brakes on to in gear) Alber's thinks it's time to go, but then he should be experienced to know how a pitstop works