Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Oct 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2321199)   #26
TIMELORD
Racer

England
TIMELORD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see that market research will be conducted to see what F1 fans want. Does this not put us in a situation where the tail is wagging the dog? This kind of short-sighted thinking gave us Superleague Formula.

Grands Prix should indeed be longer: I think that 400kms+ is the way to go. I remember reading a story recently, revealing possible changes at Spa, involving a shorter lap so that spectators would see the cars more often (!). Then they suggest reducing the race distance so that they will see the cars less...

The idea of a point awarded in qualifying is misguided. The reward for being quickest in practice should be pole position for the Grand Prix - nothing else. The race on the Sunday should be everything. The preceding sessions are a preamble to this and should in no way detract from the importance of the race. Why are the organisers of F1 so intent on diluting the importance and prestige of Grand Prix racing?

Formula One is heading in the WRONG direction at the moment. Truth is, it has been for the last few years and is showing no signs of correcting itself. Those that are currently running the sport's premier category are eating away at Grand Prix racing's fabric bit by bit.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 23:31 (Ref:2321405)   #27
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I tend to agree with TIMELORD.
Giving anyone a point under the current qualifying format is simply foolish and unnecessary.

A more equitable points spread may make things more interesting or go back to 9, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1.

I always liked CART's 20, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 5,4,3,2,1.

F1 is heading in the wrong direction but much of that is down to the directors.
Going to the fans actually shows how bereft and bankrupt the current leadership really is for ideas that will work.
They don't really understand or know what they are doing any more than anyone on this forum. In fact some here may have better ideas that will work...
Old 27 Oct 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2321763)   #28
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A point for the fastest lap in Qualy. Can be in any of the periods. If someone wants to run on fumes in Q3 to get the point then so be it.

GP2 Asia (I think) awards a point for fastest lap but only if they finish in the top 10/14 (which one I forget). Perhaps you get a point for qualy if you finish in the top 8/10/whatever is fair?

The whole race fuel thing is just a waste of space. Let them run on fumes and choose a fuel strategy come race time. With better aero next year we won't need all this contrived passing (well, I hope not anyway).
Old 27 Oct 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2321780)   #29
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The race on the Sunday should be everything. The preceding sessions are a preamble to this and should in no way detract from the importance of the race.
Good point TimeLord.
I agree. IMHO, in theory they can bugger about with qualifying as much as they like, but never at the expense of the race itself. Practice and quali is there simply to sort out the running order for the race. The race is what it's all about.

Cheers
Peter
Old 27 Oct 2008, 14:39 (Ref:2321837)   #30
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has all turned out to be pointless, Bernie's going for gold:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20924.html
Old 27 Oct 2008, 14:58 (Ref:2321851)   #31
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That sounds like the sort of wind-up comment that Bernie makes when Martin Brundle corners him on the grid...shortly before trying to introducing Martin to the Royal family of the 3rd Moon of Uranus or somewhere equally Motorsport friendly.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 18:22 (Ref:2321959)   #32
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard
This has all turned out to be pointless, Bernie's going for gold:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20924.html
So, basically, it is using a finishing position countback system for deciding the championship? I assume if both drivers were equal on 1-2-3 medals, then they would countback on the other finishing positions.

Quite honestly, they could feel free to arrange the championship this way as far as I am concerned. It is a perfectly valid system, although I would say I prefer points. This is, clearly, just Bernie opening his mouth for some reason that isn't connected to changing the scoring system to this, given it just isn't going to happen.

Perhaps Max is trying to push something through somewhere, with this being Bernie trying to distract the media?
Old 29 Oct 2008, 20:28 (Ref:2323794)   #33
staid davenport
Racer

England
London
staid davenport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How about 1 point for being fastest in each of the 3 practice sessions, and 1 point for being fastest in each of the 3 qualifying sessions. Then fiddle with the current points system for finishing so its 14-10-8-6-4-3-2-1.

That would give them more incentive to try in all of the practice and qualifying sessions, plus the points difference for a win vs 2nd place is bigger so they will be more tempted to race.
Old 29 Oct 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2323837)   #34
TIMELORD
Racer

England
TIMELORD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I said in another thread (http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104895) back in March:

...from Autosport (31st August 1989), Bernie speaking at the Belgian GP of that year, "I've always thought our points system is wrong. There should be gold, silver and bronze medals. Five gold medals are better than four. That's how it should be." Nearly twenty years later and he hasn't changed his mind...

This is clearly an idea dear to his heart.