Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 23 Jul 2012, 19:33 (Ref:3110480)   #26
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I know very few English-speaking announcers. Hindy narrates really well, I'm about to start copying his accent ("the reaace has jost begon"). Kevin Lee (IndyCar) also narrates well, but is clearly less knowledgeable. The few times I heared John Watson commenting GT1 seemed reasonable.

But the best couple is ESPN's Andrés Agulla and Alex Pombo. Not only they know cars and narrate passionately. They work awesomely as a broadcasting team. Even if you don't understand Spanish, you'll like these videos (a, b, c, d).
Old 23 Jul 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3110532)   #27
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is true that Kevin Lee doesn't know that much about motorsport in general, well certainly not when he's talking out of his comfort zone and mentions sportscar for example, but he is actually pretty damn knowledgeable about IndyCar and who's doing what and where. Check 1070 the Fan's 'Trackside' programme, Lee and Curt Cavin host it weekly from Indianapolis
Old 23 Jul 2012, 21:38 (Ref:3110538)   #28
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Really? What happened to Salo in racing, anyway?
Not sure, bit looks like he'll be doing V8 Supercar's Gold Coast race this year.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=7903
Old 24 Jul 2012, 01:47 (Ref:3110601)   #29
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great thread!

Indeed, upon discovering/re-discovering sportscar racing, it doesn't get any better than Creamer and O'Connel. Whoops, I mean Hindy and Shaw.

Worth mentioning since they haven't been mentioned in this thread, is not a single commentator, but a group of them, because not only can they make dull racing seem exciting, they can make a long road trip on a Sunday afternoon quite enjoyable to any racing fan.

I am speaking of course of the gangs from MRN and PRN covering NASCAR. I have found no other team or group that is more organized, more knowledgeable and better equiped to cover their genre of motorsport or sport in general.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 02:46 (Ref:3110605)   #30
Mac K
Rookie

Canada
Ontario,Canada
Mac K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Agreed. Here is a spoof on the Rolex announcers and their look a-likes.

Leigh Diffey: Gopher from Caddyshack
Calvin Fish: Snow Miser from A Year Without Santa Claus
Dorsey Schroeder: a shoe-billed stork

No, I wasn't drinking when I was Photoshopping!
Worst part is they actually look like that..

Best:

Murray Walker- Do I really need to explain?

John Hindhaugh- I love this guy, he makes sports car racing even more exciting. Knowledgeable, opinionated, and funny.

Jeremy Shaw- Same as John

Leigh Diffey- I actually find him exciting to listen to.. I like his enthusiasm.

Darrel Waltrip- He makes NASCAR more exciting than it already is.

Justin Bell- Very Funny

Worst:

Johhny O- Terrible at announcing, I respect his Corvette days, but he was never cut out for TV..

Kyle Petty- I never thought I could fall asleep so fast..

Martin Brundle- Seems like an interesting guy, but his commentating always seems dry in my opinion and his interviews always seem a bit awkward.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 14:25 (Ref:3110825)   #31
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
It is true that Kevin Lee doesn't know that much about motorsport in general, well certainly not when he's talking out of his comfort zone and mentions sportscar for example, but he is actually pretty damn knowledgeable about IndyCar and who's doing what and where. Check 1070 the Fan's 'Trackside' programme, Lee and Curt Cavin host it weekly from Indianapolis
I've heared some of the Trackside shows. 90 minutes is too long for me, but they have had some very good jokes. I agree that he's very well informed of the drivers, teams and state of IndyCar. I meant that he doesn't seem to know as much technical details as other journalists. Alex Pombo was a racer himself.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 14:50 (Ref:3111672)   #32
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Best : Steve Evans and Brock Yates

Worst : Marty "LOOK OUT" Ried
Old 26 Jul 2012, 15:31 (Ref:3111689)   #33
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John Hindhaugh, David Addison, Jeremy Shaw, Ian Titchmarsh all work for me. Still miss Muddly who's knowledge and enthusiasm got me into the sport, and who's gaffes were charming and forgivable for some reason.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 19:42 (Ref:3111785)   #34
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
John Hindhaugh, David Addison, Jeremy Shaw, Ian Titchmarsh all work for me. Still miss Muddly who's knowledge and enthusiasm got me into the sport, and who's gaffes were charming and forgivable for some reason.
I agree.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3111814)   #35
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So to recap...

Dream team

Commentators: Martin Haven, John Hindhaugh, Calvin Fish
Pit lane: Jamie Howe, Graham Tyler

Nightmare team

Commentators: Carlton Kirby, Alfredo Nin, Erkki Mustakari
Pit lane: Robbie Nock, Timo Pulkkinen
Old 26 Jul 2012, 23:00 (Ref:3111865)   #36
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
John Hindhaugh, David Addison, Jeremy Shaw, Ian Titchmarsh all work for me.
Lucky you. I hope you keep them well paid.
Old 27 Jul 2012, 00:51 (Ref:3111894)   #37
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Best : Steve Evans and Brock Yates

Worst : Marty "LOOK OUT" Ried
video for those unfamiliar with my "best"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We_55s90_bM
Old 27 Jul 2012, 01:21 (Ref:3111901)   #38
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Good stuff all around. Must have been before Scott Pruett had "the family at home."
Old 27 Jul 2012, 03:16 (Ref:3111915)   #39
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

for American Sports Cavalcade. First racing coverage I ever watched.
Old 28 Jul 2012, 21:42 (Ref:3112904)   #40
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Herculean efforts from Addison at the Spa 24 - almost solo!
Old 31 Jul 2012, 18:52 (Ref:3114348)   #41
jimmer
Racer

England
bath somerset
jimmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best British Club /National racing Commentry

1 David Addison
2 Ian Sowman

Least

Any of the Castle combe team

No more to be said , Get sowman on the Mic at Castle Combe Full Time PLEASE
Old 1 Aug 2012, 12:54 (Ref:3114695)   #42
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer View Post
Best British Club /National racing Commentry

1 David Addison
2 Ian Sowman

Least

Any of the Castle combe team

No more to be said , Get sowman on the Mic at Castle Combe Full Time PLEASE
No, he's just fine @ Mallory & Donington, thank you.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 19:08 (Ref:3114846)   #43
jimmer
Racer

England
bath somerset
jimmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
No, he's just fine @ Mallory & Donington, thank you.

Old 2 Aug 2012, 09:19 (Ref:3115125)   #44
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Phil Ligget - Tour De France
Old 3 Aug 2012, 18:58 (Ref:3115737)   #45
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
for American Sports Cavalcade. First racing coverage I ever watched.
Wasn't born then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Herculean efforts from Addison at the Spa 24 - almost solo!
David Addison really does do monumental efforts. However, he desperately needs a co-announcer in my humble opinion.
Old 3 Aug 2012, 19:19 (Ref:3115749)   #46
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Wasn't born then.
Neither was I.
Old 10 Oct 2012, 13:39 (Ref:3149421)   #47
dtb
Rookie

England
UK
dtb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with many that Hindhaugh and Shaw are a very good team full of enthusiasm and knowledge, on the flipside of commentating though, can anyone enlighten me as to who is the er commentator who er partners er Andrew Marriot on EPDN's er DTM show.

I probably couldn't do it any better but I find myself counting the 'er's' instead of watching the race, he also has a tendency not to finish his sentences which can be quite frustrating.
Old 10 Oct 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3149493)   #48
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtb View Post
I agree with many that Hindhaugh and Shaw are a very good team full of enthusiasm and knowledge, on the flipside of commentating though, can anyone enlighten me as to who is the er commentator who er partners er Andrew Marriot on EPDN's er DTM show.

I probably couldn't do it any better but I find myself counting the 'er's' instead of watching the race, he also has a tendency not to finish his sentences which can be quite frustrating.
Dave Richardson. He's a career commentator.
Old 10 Oct 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3149620)   #49
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Best: Anyone who works for or has worked for MRN.

Worst: Darrell Waltrip... or any Waltrip... or any Wallace too.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 13:37 (Ref:3157999)   #50
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtb View Post
....can anyone enlighten me as to who is the er commentator who er partners er Andrew Marriot on EPDN's er DTM show.

Never mind not finishing sentences, it's the shouting that irks me. When will some of these commentators learn that shouting does not equal excitement especially when it's the DTM?