Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Sep 2004, 13:30 (Ref:1091965)   #26
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
It actually says" in or on the way".

True. I stand corrected.

But there seemed to be a lot more of the "in" and not so much of the "on the way"........
Old 10 Sep 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1092022)   #27
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: F1 drivers that have achieved special things that marks them out as a bit special

Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
Juan Montoya - Won the Indy 500 in 2000 as a rookie ...( 1st rookie to win at Indy since Graham Hill in 1966 ?
You have to look at the conditions of the win. JPM took a break from destroying the world class CART drivers to beat up on what at that time was the minor league of the IRL. When he stepped out of the car and was interviewed it was clear that he didn't consider it some great accomplishment.It looks good in the record books, but the truth is it was one of the less impressive things he's accomplished.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1092044)   #28
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How about Danny Sullivan spinning a full 360 degrees, continuing on, and winning the Indy 500. I think it was 1985 and maybe it was more luck than anything. However it was something I will always remember and I'm sure Danny will as well.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 15:44 (Ref:1092075)   #29
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Masahiro Hasemi. Fastest lap on his debut. And his car's.

Wolf, winning their first GP. (And Baghetti.)

Lee Wallard, averaging 4.5 points per WC round, with a 50% winning rate.

Brian Henton, along with Hasemi the only guy to get a fastest lap and never a WC point.

Tony Crook, the lowest ever best GP result - 21st at Britain 1952, he never finished higher.

Olivier Grouillard, lowest points per GP started (1/41 of a point per GP).

Piercarlo Ghinzani, lowest points finishes per GP started (1 points finish out of 75); also most DNQs (31).

I think Claudio Langes has most DNQs without qualifying with 14, which were all NPQs to boot.

Outside F1, Jean-Pierre Frey, most DNQs without starting in F3000 (17).

Shortest GP race career, Marco Apicella, the length of the straight at Italy to the first chicane.

Shortest Indy race career, Gary Congdon who didn't even get to take the green flag in 1964.

Most races without a win in NASCAR, JD McDuffie, with 653 (he did get one pole).
Old 10 Sep 2004, 15:52 (Ref:1092081)   #30
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Forgot to mention Zanardi shares the record for points per GP lowness with Grouillard.

Most DNQs at Indy without starting: Ralph Ligouri, with 8.

Most DNQs at Indy before 1st start: Al LoQuasto and Bill Puterbaugh, for whom it was 7th time lucky (Puterbaugh was a ROTY to boot).

Most DNQs in F1 before a Q: I think it was Gregor Foitek, who had about 13 in the Eurobrun before getting the Brabham.

Oldest F3 driver: probably Ronnie Grant, who was around in the 1986 Class B whilst in his 60s.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 16:28 (Ref:1092108)   #31
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ensign,

i am humbled by your memory ... you mention 18 drivers in the last 2 posts and i've only heard of 3 of them. you're my hero!

-
Old 10 Sep 2004, 16:35 (Ref:1092112)   #32
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about something that has made someone special after F1? Alex Zanardi 'finishing' the CART race at the Lausitz Eurospeedway the year after losing his legs (and very nearly his life) AND being fast enough to have qualified in fifth if he had been competing! To get back in a car, return to the scene of the accident, and go full out is, I believe, one heck of a thing to do.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 16:58 (Ref:1092124)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by ensign14

Oldest F3 driver: probably Ronnie Grant, who was around in the 1986 Class B whilst in his 60s.

Now there's a blast from the past. What happened to dear Ronnie?
Old 10 Sep 2004, 17:02 (Ref:1092128)   #34
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hang on a bit, thought this was about special things great drivers have achieved that marks them out from the rest?
We seem to be having a guiness book of records moment and a load of statistics.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1092135)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yeh, but you've got to admit, it makes for a great read, doesn't it?
Old 10 Sep 2004, 17:14 (Ref:1092142)   #36
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Lots of negative stats. off topic, but admittedly interesting to read.
Back on topic:
Jacques Villeneuve's first year in F1 must be recognized as extraordinary. Some of the Prost/Senna battles were classical, there were so many it's hard to for me to remember the highlights but suffice to say they provided some great moments in F1.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 17:24 (Ref:1092145)   #37
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kimi finishing only 2 pts behind MS in the older spec Mclaren...

ALonso lapping MS

Damon Hungry 97 passing MS

MS for his countless no. of records and countless no. of extraordinary drives.

Senna-too many great memories!!
Old 10 Sep 2004, 17:54 (Ref:1092164)   #38
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gilles 10 secs per lap faster than anybody at Watkins glen in the wet. Jim Clark unlapping himself and then passing the whole field to take the lead before ruuning out of fuel on the last lap, Monza 67.
Nige round the outside of Berger Peraltado Mexico City.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 18:36 (Ref:1092185)   #39
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
JV's pass on TGF at Estoril was a bit special.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 18:43 (Ref:1092196)   #40
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Senna.

Donington.

A name, a location and a year. Enough to evoke very special memories for me. And not just that sensational first lap either - the way he destroyed Prost that day - made him look a rank amateur - etched on the memory forever.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 19:55 (Ref:1092268)   #41
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's the greatest one in my mind as well Ayse. His car was inferior to Prost's Williams, but it was wet, and no one could match him. Schumacher may be the best in the wet today, but Ayrton ate him alive, in all conditions (who knows how close their battles would've been as Michael and the Benetton got better).

Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned Gilles' complete lap on 3 wheels, with the rear suspension hanging off. Amazing.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 20:00 (Ref:1092270)   #42
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always wondered why everyone thinks Villeneuve driving back to the pits on 3 wheels was 'amazing'.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 20:21 (Ref:1092282)   #43
captain crunch
Racer

captain crunch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graham Hill, only man ever to win the "grand slam" of monaco gp (5), le mans 24hr (2) and indianapolis 500 (1) with two f1 titles as well. Mario Andretti for winning f1, usac and cart titles. Jacques villeneuve for winning CART rookie of the year, CART championship, f1 rookie of the year and f1 champion in sucessive years. Nigel Mansell for back-to back f1 and indycar titles. Emerson Fittipaldi for being the youngest ever f1 champion, Fangio's 1957 german grand prix and you can never sing Alex Zanardi's praises enough. That's all i can think of right now but i'm surethere's more.....
Old 10 Sep 2004, 20:38 (Ref:1092297)   #44
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna, Donnington '93, in the wet, I could not believe my eyes...

JPM, Brazil ('01?)the outside move on Schumi - genius

'87 Mansell's move on Piquet in the British GP

'92 Mansell & Senna closing laps of Monaco Gp

Phoenix (can't pin point the year)Alesi (in a Tyrrel!) vs Senna

I know it was 99% luck but Webber's debut - the underdog's fairytale...

& for me personally my very first F1 experience, as a kid, probably around 6 or 7yrs old, on the TV watching a Ferrari during the Monaco GP, I remember the commentator saying he was one of the fastest on the track, but his car seemed to be that much closer to the guard rails, even touching them at times, it had that much more oversteer & hand movements than anyone else, couldn't pronounce his name at the time but that moment is forever burned in my memory.... Gilles Villeneuve....

Hmmm, the Villeneuves, Mansells, Sennas, Alesis, Montoyas, they seem to be a dying breed...
Old 10 Sep 2004, 20:43 (Ref:1092306)   #45
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweed
I've always wondered why everyone thinks Villeneuve driving back to the pits on 3 wheels was 'amazing'.

Because unlike many drama queens now days, it's more a reminder of NEVER giving up, no matter how impossible things may seem...
Old 11 Sep 2004, 04:52 (Ref:1092562)   #46
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've seen quite a few drivers driving a lap on 3 wheels, the fourth puctured, recently
Old 11 Sep 2004, 08:28 (Ref:1092664)   #47
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Not quite the same if you remember Gilles doing it or have seen the film of it since - just a tad more than a simple puncture.......
Old 11 Sep 2004, 08:29 (Ref:1092666)   #48
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Has anyone yet mentioned Villeneueve/Arnoux at Dijon? (It was Dijon, wasn't it?)
Old 11 Sep 2004, 09:19 (Ref:1092693)   #49
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Niki Lauda,Japan 1976,takes balls to get out of the car and walk away from a WDC.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 09:32 (Ref:1092706)   #50
BIGMOUTH
Racer

BIGMOUTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hill nearly winning in Hungary 1997 in the Arrows Yamaha, and winning Jordan's first GP a year later at Spa.