Old 25 Aug 2002, 13:44 (Ref:365585)   #26
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Total-F1
Massa has no such deal with Ferrari. Ferrari have never approached him with any kind of offer.

Massa will be involved with another team in a testing capacity.

Frentzen was in the frame for Toyota drive - Sauber is the better bet short-term - Heinz-Harry hasn't got a long career left ahead of him, so he wants somewhere he can be immediately quick.

As for Toyota, Da Matta looks to be too expensive an option...my bet for next year is Salo and Pizzonia.
Mika Salo has said he would very much like for Jos to join the team.
Old 25 Aug 2002, 14:06 (Ref:365597)   #27
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ooooh... *sighs*

Poor Felipe.
Old 25 Aug 2002, 18:00 (Ref:365647)   #28
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unloyal Massa? if that's the case, nobody more loyal than Heinz... he didn't leave Sauber when Williams asked for him after Senna's death...

I think Frentzen does deserve this drive.

By the way, I've never seen a "stauled" car in an F1 grid.
Old 25 Aug 2002, 19:50 (Ref:365680)   #29
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this Sauber's masterplan?

Step 1, get Massa under contract by offering him a race seat.

Step 2, Bring in an experienced guy like Frentzen to give the team a morale boost at a time of need.

Step 3, have massa testing for a year (as renault did with Alonso).

Step 4, have Massa, who now knows all the ins & outs of the team, lead them, after Heidfeld has left for a bigger team.

Simple.
Old 25 Aug 2002, 19:57 (Ref:365682)   #30
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got a feeling that something may have already been done as Massa hasn't said anything yet, if he was staying at Sauber in any role it would almost certainly have been announced along with the Frentzen decision.

I hope he does get a race seat and a half decent one at that (Fast running out of time I know).
Old 25 Aug 2002, 23:19 (Ref:365744)   #31
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tough luck for Massa. What probably done him in was the whole team-order issues over Nurburgring and Hockenheim.

I have criticized FM this year, since there was so much pre-season hype over him being better than Kimi and the next Senna etc, etc. Although I don't want him to be locked out of the action. One thing that might come out of this is Massa switching to CART, and that I'd love to see.

Last edited by Raven; 25 Aug 2002 at 23:23.
Old 26 Aug 2002, 01:08 (Ref:365772)   #32
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
It does look like Felipe may test for Sauber next year. After that, he could either race for sauber the following year or be "sold" to another team.

Valve
Old 26 Aug 2002, 12:07 (Ref:365929)   #33
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think it's a shame for Massa, because he's obviously quick and he has the potential to do very well. But on the other hand, I can see the logic in wanting Frentzen's experience. A year testing could actually be just what Massa needs - it could help him to calm down, and he would also become very good at developing the car. The best drivers at developing a car have generally been test drivers first. A young, quick driver who isn't erratic anymore and has technical skill and awareness is somebody you'd want to have driving your car, right?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 26 Aug 2002, 15:59 (Ref:366014)   #34
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
sighahh!! Felipe Massa...
Another prey of the 'Senna Syndrome'.

Btw.. A few weeks ago, I read somewhere... "DaMatta is the next Senna"...

Last edited by freud; 26 Aug 2002 at 16:06.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 06:45 (Ref:366402)   #35
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Heidfield and Frentzen - what a dull line up!

Yawn - after the injection of excitement that Kimi and Massa have brought to the team over the last couple of years, Sauber are in for a borathon in 2003.

How this is going to keep Sauber in the hunt for points, I'm not sure. Next year will be a lot tighter for point scoring positions, which means some aggressive driving, good grid poisitions and dare I say it, overtaking will be required.

Has anybody ever seen Nick overtake anyone or produce a breath taking F1 moment? HHF won't get off the line for the first few races, until he's worked out how to use Sauber's launch control - and then get into one of his downward spirals.

Why HHF continues to have this mystique about him is a mystery to me, if ever there was on overated driver that's underdelivered it's Frentzen.

Peter Sauber has made some inspired driver choices recently - this isn't one of them.IMO.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 12:37 (Ref:366572)   #36
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
IF Massa isn't in F1 next year, then i think it will be a travisty. OK, he's had his off's, but he's also proved that he has massive talent! His "highly regarded" team-mate, dispite being in his 3rd season of F1 only has 3 more points than Felipe!
Old 27 Aug 2002, 14:02 (Ref:366625)   #37
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree, Massa is exciting to watch, has scored points and will improve. We need more Massa's in F1 and less afternoon cruisers.

Me thinks Sauber will be regretting choosing HHF by mid-season, as both Williams and Sauber have done before him.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 14:07 (Ref:366627)   #38
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think that HH-F does deserve to be in F1, just a shame it's to the detriment of Massa who also deserves a place on the grid.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 15:40 (Ref:366699)   #39
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HURRAH! Brilliant news!!! Heinzy back where it all began... Can't wait... GO HEINZ GO!!! WOOOOOO!!! (Am I too excited by this news?!)

Stevey boy... your comments r.e Heinz... nothing to do with a certain Dutch bloke, eh?

Old 27 Aug 2002, 17:21 (Ref:366785)   #40
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
HURRAH! Brilliant news!!! Heinzy back where it all began... Can't wait... GO HEINZ GO!!! WOOOOOO!!! (Am I too excited by this news?!)

Stevey boy... your comments r.e Heinz... nothing to do with a certain Dutch bloke, eh?

no, like I said before, I never liked him, and I don't think his driving was too impressive for the past years.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 21:51 (Ref:367029)   #41
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So 2 magnificent wins and coming 3rd for Jordan in the 1999 WDC count for nothing? How about his astonishing drives this season in a car that *really* shouldn't be able to go that quick? Heinz and Nick will hopefully do great things for Sauber. Can't wait!!!
Old 27 Aug 2002, 22:49 (Ref:367060)   #42
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
So 2 magnificent wins and coming 3rd for Jordan in the 1999 WDC count for nothing? How about his astonishing drives this season in a car that *really* shouldn't be able to go that quick? Heinz and Nick will hopefully do great things for Sauber. Can't wait!!!
Remember 2000 and 2001? HHF was terrified to race. He let every other car out there pass by. And the man is a jinx; first Prost, then Arrows, maybe Sauber next year. Personally I think F1 would never miss HHF if he was to retire now (at 35 and older than Irv).
Old 28 Aug 2002, 17:45 (Ref:367616)   #43
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A jinx... he didn't fold Williams or Jordan.

2000 and 2001... 2 podiums in 2000, I don't know how he can get to third-places "letting everyone by", despite not qualifying as well as Trulli. He also put the Prost 4th at Spa. Now steve nielsen would say "oh, he stauled the car" but Schumacher also did in Suzuka 98 and nobody reminds him.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 17:51 (Ref:367621)   #44
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Now I'm a little suspicious...I can understand the reasoning behind signing a driver with experience, but according to today's Motorsport News, Peter Sauber is trying to get himself a supply of VW engines. The German connection may not be entirely coincidental.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 Aug 2002, 18:33 (Ref:367651)   #45
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
Schumacher also did in Suzuka 98 and nobody reminds him.
And Australia '99?
Old 28 Aug 2002, 20:22 (Ref:367753)   #46
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The VWs would be Audis - that's why Audi aren't competing at Le Mans next year...

And Massa? He's been breaking cars as fast as they could make 'em - that would be instrumental in any sane boss's decision!
Old 28 Aug 2002, 20:27 (Ref:367758)   #47
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
OK, Michael might have done that once, HHF did it 6 times in 2 years!
Old 28 Aug 2002, 21:55 (Ref:367794)   #48
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa deserves to drive next year....so what he has had loads of off track moments....he's showed alot of talent and his head will deveop on time.....i think a years racing will do him more good than testing ever will.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 23:11 (Ref:367839)   #49
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Well, Alonso was a way more safer driver than Massa and he is having to spend a year in testing
Old 28 Aug 2002, 23:27 (Ref:367847)   #50
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Something tells me Pete is sick of competing for 6th.