Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Oct 2003, 06:15 (Ref:757820)   #26
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Brock was just a driver though... didnt spend a lot of time with the team at the workshop or trackside, by his own choice most likely, but possibly by design....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Oct 2003, 06:19 (Ref:757822)   #27
Quested
Rookie

Quested should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ah Quested I'm a Ford man (obviously), but to say Brocky is just a driver, in the official factory team no less, would have to be sacrilegious wouldn't it?
Erm... no... why? In terms of his official capacity, Brock was just a driver - he was not, as some seem to believe, running the team or 'reviving' the team.

He did bring some much needed sponsorship and publicity, but that could be said to be a part of the duty of any driver in a professional team - it's just a duty that Brock met better than most.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 06:19 (Ref:757823)   #28
Joe5619
Veteran

Joe5619 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quested... Yes brock did retire, but did he jump or was he pushed!!!!
Old 21 Oct 2003, 06:24 (Ref:757825)   #29
Quested
Rookie

No, Brock was not 'pushed'. I would dare to suggest that he would have been welcome to stay at HRT for two reasons - the positive effect he had on publicity (merchandise sales, etc), and the Mobil sponsorship.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 06:24 (Ref:757826)   #30
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never said he was running or reviving the team I just pointed out that Brock is much more than just a driver (or an old has been according to Crennan) to all his fans.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 06:28 (Ref:757833)   #31
MHDT
Racer

MHDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mobil sponsorship casts an interesting light on the Brock retirement.

Brock was contracted to Mobil, until 2002 in fact; and in turn Mobil 'supplied' HRT with it's preferred driver (namely Brock), as it's right as the major sponsor.

Brock was not due to leave his driving duties until 2002, not 1997. The word 'pushed' does spring to mind....
Old 21 Oct 2003, 06:34 (Ref:757839)   #32
Quested
Rookie

Quote:
Brock was contracted to Mobil, until 2002 in fact; and in turn Mobil 'supplied' HRT with it's preferred driver (namely Brock), as it's right as the major sponsor.
I am unaware of any contract between Mobil and Brock. (Not saying that none existed, but I am simply not aware of it.) I am also unaware that any sponsor has the right to elect drivers - can you enlighten us more on that one?

Brock and HRT came to an arrangement in late 1993. As far as I know, Mobil came along for the ride, so to speak. The initial contact was between HRT and Brock, not HRT and Mobil. Please fill me in on the details if I am wrong.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 08:41 (Ref:757966)   #33
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brockie and Lowndes being pushed, but maybe Murphy should be added to that. All seems to have happened since Skaife took up residence at HRT.
As for Brockie, maybe his future will be at Garry Rogers or with a new team run from an ex Ford franchisee who is rumoured to be concentrating on NC. I'm not sure how he would fit into the Paul Morris team if that was an option.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 09:24 (Ref:758022)   #34
MHDT
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Quested
I am unaware of any contract between Mobil and Brock. (Not saying that none existed, but I am simply not aware of it.) I am also unaware that any sponsor has the right to elect drivers - can you enlighten us more on that one?

Brock and HRT came to an arrangement in late 1993. As far as I know, Mobil came along for the ride, so to speak. The initial contact was between HRT and Brock, not HRT and Mobil. Please fill me in on the details if I am wrong.
Short of having the actual contract in front of me, I cannot add much more. I'd be surprised if your HRT contacts wouldn't be able to verify this.

As you know, sponsors don't 'just go for the ride' when dealing with seven figure amounts; lawyers do get involved.

Also, it is not uncommon for sponsors to have a final say in a teams' driver selection - look no further than Paul Radisich and DJR.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 09:53 (Ref:758047)   #35
Quested
Rookie

What? This is becoming more and more ridiculous - now there is a suggestion that both Brock and Lowndes were 'pushed'!? What nonsense! Both Brock and Lowndes chose to leave the team. Brock retired voluntarily, and Lowndes left of his own will, although HRT did not want him to go. How anyone can suggest that Lowndes was 'pushed' is beyond me.

As for Murphy, he was not 'pushed' but was not invited to stay with the team after 1997 - really just a case of there not being a seat for him as Craig had returned from Europe. He was not happy about that, and the Team was not too happy about it, but it was a case of there only being two seats available.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 10:00 (Ref:758055)   #36
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon both Lowndes and Brock were pushed it makes sense.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 10:04 (Ref:758060)   #37
Roy Slaven
Rookie

Roy Slaven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brock was a Mobil empolyee and when Mobil sponsored the team a stipulation was that Brock was one of the drivers. Holden and Crennan in particular where very, very reluctant at having Brock back as there was and still is a lot of bad blood about 1987. Crennan was one of the key players from Holden in the Polarizer debacle

Brock did chose to leave the team after he was put in a loose loose situation by the team management. He had very little choice but to leave.......
Old 21 Oct 2003, 10:07 (Ref:758062)   #38
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interestingly enough one of Brock's biggest supporters thru the 1987 debacle was Mr R.Borrett, now head of HMS central programming.

Its funny how attitudes change over 16 years or so isnt it....
Old 21 Oct 2003, 10:41 (Ref:758098)   #39
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall reading somewhere that Lowndes wasn't actually made to feel welcome and that he didn't feel in control of his own career.Not actually pushed but what do you do if you don't feel happy in the enviroment your in.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 11:41 (Ref:758156)   #40
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Team Brock is likely to be the new name for the Monaro squad in the Nations Cup series!
Old 21 Oct 2003, 12:39 (Ref:758219)   #41
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had thought that PB would team up with Garry Rogers. Who drives with GRM in V8 Supercars is conjecture but i think it will be Tander and Whincup.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 13:39 (Ref:758289)   #42
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by moffman
Ah Quested I'm a Ford man (obviously), but to say Brocky is just a driver, in the official factory team no less, would have to be sacrilegious wouldn't it?
Ditto Quested,

Brocky is one Holden guy this FORD fan repects and admires,

HRT was at its best when Brocky and Lowdnes were there. "
Old 21 Oct 2003, 13:44 (Ref:758291)   #43
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by moffman
I never said he was running or reviving the team I just pointed out that Brock is much more than just a driver (or an old has been according to Crennan) to all his fans.
Fancy Crennan having the audacity to ever say that about

V8s living legend(BROCK) -what a nasty bit of HRT work he

is!!!! (this a Ford fan talking >ever respectful of Brocky)
Old 21 Oct 2003, 20:53 (Ref:758735)   #44
rossp1
Rookie

rossp1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR magic, I like your scenario have you been bugging our offices?
Old 21 Oct 2003, 21:43 (Ref:758765)   #45
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MHDT
No, and it would be best not to try and draw such short sighted comparisons.

Well sorry , try this on for short sighted, what does it matter if Brock was pushed, fell, stepped on his d1ck and bumped his head, whatever, he'd be retired by now from V8 Supercar anyway and at least the Holden Dealer Team as it now is is still winning in the face of considerable pressure from Ford.

Brock was a brilliant driver it's a shame politics follows him everywhere.

Last edited by Mattracer; 21 Oct 2003 at 21:46.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 22:22 (Ref:758812)   #46
Zinger
Racer

Zinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Brock Monaro's does have a nice ring to it, and I think it suits Holdens monaro image better.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 22:27 (Ref:758820)   #47
MHDT
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Interestingly enough one of Brock's biggest supporters thru the 1987 debacle was Mr R.Borrett, now head of HMS central programming.

Its funny how attitudes change over 16 years or so isnt it....
Right, and what exactly did Mr Borrett do for Brock in 1987? :confused:

I would arguably say that Mobil, Bridgestone, Brock's bank manager & Alan Gow were his biggest supporters in 1987...
Old 21 Oct 2003, 22:29 (Ref:758823)   #48
MHDT
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer
Well sorry , try this on for short sighted, what does it matter if Brock was pushed, fell, stepped on his d1ck and bumped his head, whatever, he'd be retired by now from V8 Supercar anyway and at least the Holden Dealer Team as it now is is still winning in the face of considerable pressure from Ford.

Brock was a brilliant driver it's a shame politics follows him everywhere.
OR do politics follow one John Crennan everywhere? Think about it.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 22:36 (Ref:758826)   #49
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally posted by rossp1
GTR magic, I like your scenario have you been bugging our offices?
It makes logical sense, to give Holden a new market to cater to, to use Brock to help raise the profile of an already good series... to let the anal retentives in the HMS Supercar sphere of influence keep their own branding and therefore merchandise profits....

Just have to make it happen somehow
Old 21 Oct 2003, 22:38 (Ref:758828)   #50
Zinger
Racer

Zinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rember Holden wanted to run the monaro in V8 supercars but AVESCO woudn't allow it. It make good sense for HMS to have Team Brock Monaro in NC