Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Feb 2006, 08:59 (Ref:1513300)   #26
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorting through some of my unlabelled video's yesterday and by coincidence with this thread i chanced upon the 1993 Sandown 6 Hour.

Among other things this was the first time Australia had seen the 968CS Porsche, and the debut of the Dogbone Honda NSX with Wayne Gardner at the wheel.

If only they hadn't let the 'thouroughbreads' into the 12 Hour (Porsche's, Nissan GTRs, Lotus Espirit's....)
Old 1 Feb 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1513348)   #27
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If only they hadn't let the 'thouroughbreads' into the 12 Hour (Porsche's, Nissan GTRs, Lotus Espirit's....)
At least those gave the race some interest..but the other cars were too mundane. The 24hr was a much better race as far as type of cars and coverage. Strangely by Channel SEVEN.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 10:34 (Ref:1513352)   #28
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
That is why it died, it was not that commercially viable. There was disinterest by the general public and some interest by specific motor racing groups.
I re-iterate that the race was around for four years at Bathurst, the final three races had capacity grids. A good effort. The move to Eastern Creek was the killer.

Motor racing at any level other then big corporate series like V8supercars, F1, Indy etc is not supported by the general public. State series races and the grass roots level of motor sport is supported by specific motor racing groups, with out them, you wouldnt have the V8supercars, or anything going around our racing circuits, and none of us on the top of the mount would have anything to cheer about.

Why are we quick to dismiss events such as the Bathurst 12 hour or 24 hour or procar or whatever with comments like "it lacked interest". There is more to motor racing then V8's .. heck i love v8's , but i also enjoy other forms of local motor racing. Its a brave thing to do a Vince Tesorero or a Ross Palmer.... but there are people out there that are truely thankful they were brave enough to take a risk on an event at Bathurst other then the 1000kms...

Its a hard task, it cost big $$$, and crowds will be hard to attract, simply because "the general public" as it is, are unlikely to travel to Bathurst more then once a year. Its hard to get holidays, it a long way from interstate, there are many many factors. V8supercars are the best catagory in Australia in terms of entertainment, these other races were not there to compete with that, they were their to offer something different, an alternative. Going to Bathurst in October is like a religion for most fans that go... other events cannot compete with this factor alone.

Yes it would have been difficult to make the race "commercially viable" as you said, but they did have a good sponsor in James Hardie, so they obviously felt that their name and Bathurst did something for their company.

It gave drivers a chance to drive at Bathurst.... It provided sound entertainment, sure there was no ambrose v murphy stouches, but it was motor racing in a pure form. Lets not forget, Bathurst started off with Production cars, we have this form of motor racing to thank.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 10:47 (Ref:1513365)   #29
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6.213km, yes I agree about promoting all forms of racing in this country. Notice that "PROCAR" is gradually rising again. Unfortunately endurance races per se, have with the exception of the one Bathurst race(Sandown really is an extended sprint race and even Bathurst can now be lumped in as well), have not caught the public's eye and have disappeared from our calender. How many? as well as the 12hr's at Bathurst and Eastern Creek; there was the 12hr at the Surfers Paradise track; the two World Sportscar races at Sandown; the 24hr and "The Race of the Century" at Adelaide. All gone.
No Motor Racing is still growing here, but in a Sprint race format.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1513377)   #30
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
At least those gave the race some interest..but the other cars were too mundane. The 24hr was a much better race as far as type of cars and coverage. Strangely by Channel SEVEN.
True enough, but the 12 hour and the 24 hour were different kettles of fish trying to satisfy different objectives.

The 24hr was made (and killed) by the hotrod Monaro, without it it is debatable whether the event would have been as popular, for 2002 at least, without it. Of course while it attracted the media exposure, it disgusted the purists.

The 24hr was also aimed (somewhat strangely in my opinion) as being an international endurance race up there with Le Mans, Spa and the Nurburgring round-the-clock events, thus requiring an extensive international participation to gain interest and the headline cars were (heavily) modified Grand Touring vehicles(similiar to how the last two Bathurst 1000s were aimed).

The 12hr was promoted as a hark back to the early years of Bathurst with minimal modifications to go racing. Whether it was right or wrong to include the 'exotics' isn't really an issue though, just personal preference, the grids were still over-subscribed in 1992-1994 with them and the event still carked it.

The 12hr had 'proper' night driving as well, no floodlights across the top (from memory)
Old 1 Feb 2006, 22:26 (Ref:1513849)   #31
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
Vanilla Dice has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Anyone see Bondy on the Muscle Car Masters show on ten the other day??

That race suit is circa 1992 when CB bought a single off the shelf sparco and attached a couple of Caltex patches on it. The patches are gone it seems...

What's the rule about old kit being used, can a race suit that is probably close to 15 years old still be used in motor racing here?

I thought he would have dragged the Winfield suit from 1994 out of the cupboard

anyhow.... Have a Winfield....

666 posts... over... and OUT..!
Old 2 Feb 2006, 04:44 (Ref:1513995)   #32
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was Bondy racing on the day or just driving demonstration laps though?
Old 2 Feb 2006, 09:01 (Ref:1514060)   #33
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I didnt see him actually driving, only standing outside one of his old cars wearing the old suit VD mentions
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Feb 2006, 09:42 (Ref:1514092)   #34
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
same here...did not see any driving by him..
Old 5 Feb 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1516137)   #35
Dobbo89
Rookie

Australia
Mayfield
Dobbo89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
Crompton isnt too far behind but agree with most of the above, but AJ?? only if it is infused with the dalcet tones of Big Darryl Eastlake, HUGE!!!!!
Mr Eastlake must now regret his style, every time he is affronted by a member of the public saying he has a HUGE harley, or a HUGE middy of beer. (the sad thing is they always think they are the first)

I liked AJ for very much the same reasons I liked Barry Sheen, the odd sly sarcastic comment, and the fact really do have inside contacts, and the fact AJ called Micheal Schumacher a 'sour kraut' while everyone else seems to call him god