Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 Feb 2008, 10:24 (Ref:2127083)   #26
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTW: Yes, most of the early metallics cost Ford a bundle in warranty claims (my area at Ford in fact).

The worst was the appalling Light Orchid: a sort of soft pink blush colour, which was impossible to match!

Common on 1600 E's and the ungainly wedge-shaped Corsair.

I well remember refinishing one of these 1600Es five or six times after a minor shunt and a new wing. In the end Valentine's (our paint suppliers) sent their head tech rep who had been a top paint sprayer: and he couldn't manage it either!

So, we repainted the whole side Bonnet, boot and roof.....................................

I reckoned the customer couldn't look at both sides at once!
Old 16 Feb 2008, 18:23 (Ref:2130402)   #27
sterling49
Rookie

sterling49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTH
This is one I did for a customer in France about 10 years ago

[/
What a beautiful car Richard, just as I remember it, probably better than Ralph's original maybe?
Old 16 Feb 2008, 18:27 (Ref:2130408)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I want one!
Old 19 Feb 2008, 00:36 (Ref:2132215)   #29
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back in 1966 I bought an Anglia from Anita. I have a picture of me racing it at Mallory Short Circuit. The car was white. It was a long time ago, so memory isn't too good on this my first Anglia. I recall going up to Yorkshire and collecting it from Ian.
Old 19 Feb 2008, 08:44 (Ref:2132336)   #30
sterling49
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor
Back in 1966 I bought an Anglia from Anita. I have a picture of me racing it at Mallory Short Circuit. The car was white. It was a long time ago, so memory isn't too good on this my first Anglia. I recall going up to Yorkshire and collecting it from Ian.
Was that the "Swish" Curtains car? If so, I remember it well, and saw Anita race it at Brands............
Old 19 Feb 2008, 09:01 (Ref:2132345)   #31
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling49
Was that the "Swish" Curtains car? If so, I remember it well, and saw Anita race it at Brands............
did Swish sponsor other cars? I recall seeing Swish on a car but didn't remember it as an Anglia - admittedly I would have been about 10 at the time but I was an anorak even then!!
Old 20 Feb 2008, 22:29 (Ref:2133674)   #32
sterling49
Rookie

Anybody remember Peter Proctor? He drove a white car for Ralph and it made all the dailies, but for the wrong reasons, he had an awful accident and I think the car caught fire.(IIRC) Racing only ever made news back then if there was a major smash, sadly.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 22:48 (Ref:2133689)   #33
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I seem to remember Peter Proctor racing a few times for Alan Fraser in Rapiers in the 60s. Yes he had a very bad crash at Goodwood in an Anglia and the resulting fire brought in the mandatory fire walls for saloon cars. Before that there was nothing to stop petrol getting in to the interior !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Feb 2008, 08:42 (Ref:2133923)   #34
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quite right, Gordon.

Peter Proctor and Peter Harper both raced Rapiers.

Proctor was badly scarred (facially) by the fire.

Therefter Les Leston started selling the original fire-treated overalls. I still have mine: wish they still fitted!

Pics of the Peters and Rosemary Smith (who still looks very attractive!) and many other Rootes groups cars and competitors here:

http://www.arcc.demon.co.uk/m_rally.htm
Old 21 Feb 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2133976)   #35
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
I seem to remember Peter Proctor racing a few times for Alan Fraser in Rapiers in the 60s. Yes he had a very bad crash at Goodwood in an Anglia and the resulting fire brought in the mandatory fire walls for saloon cars. Before that there was nothing to stop petrol getting in to the interior !
I think that car is still racing today.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 10:11 (Ref:2134003)   #36
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
Another nice pic of Proctor here, too. Also memories of the Sunbeam Tiger.

http://www.sunbeamtiger.co.uk/TI02/grm/grmreport.htm

Also some more about this incident and Goodwood on Ford Media:

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...m?release=5907
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2137803)   #37
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No the Anita Taylor car was much earlier, in 1965/6 and the first Anglia I raced after leaving the mini. The SWISH car was Roger Williamsons old car, see story about it elsewhere on site. As I said before, I do have a nice picture of the Anita Taylor car in the wet at Mallory.
Gerry
Old 26 Feb 2008, 06:30 (Ref:2138131)   #38
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've raced with that car, it aint slow! you most certainly could not build it for 10k
Old 17 Mar 2008, 14:05 (Ref:2154693)   #39
Gungebucket
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cornwall, UK
Gungebucket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysFeltham
When I left Ford of Europe at Warley, one of the spare GP II ETCC Broadpseed Anglias was still on its dais in reception in 1968.

This had been used mainly as a show car at Ford sales promotions, although it was a fully built and functioning race car.

This car was a full team car. One of my chums purchased it in circa 1970 and my automotive biz was deeply involved in its restoration.

The paint was Rolls Royce Regal Red Metallic for the main body: and the roof was from memory Silver Fox. The paint was supplied by ICI Belco (Nitro-Cellulose) and luckily, we were given a number of gallons!

My chum, the owner, Francis Beechey, who was then working as a sort of liaison between FAV, Boreham and Warley, managed to con the paint from ICI gratis!

I believe we finished up with 17 coats: thin and translucent doesn't describe it!

The cars were based on the 1200 c.c. Super Anglia, with all the extra bits of trim intact. The engine was a modified SCA SOHC FII: the rear suspension was independant with towers welded into the rear where the passenger seat would have fitted.

It was, frankly, a pig of a job!

That said, it stopped the paddock at Lydden when the cover came off in its first post-rebuild outing, as the final (three stage hand rubbed) finish was awesome.
My recollection is that the Broadspeed Anglia engines were basically Cosworth MAE, definately not SCA (which stood for single cam model A). Homologation rules precluded the use of an SOHC engine in an Anglia. Hey! it's more than a recollection! They were basaed on MAE's 'cos I was there at the time.... so there!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 09:29 (Ref:2155412)   #40
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
agreed gungebucket, its basically a 1200 MAE running a 28/36 DCD . . .about 110-115 BHP seems to be the benchmark

a shame they never homologated 40's!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:10 (Ref:2155709)   #41
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
Interesting........................

Bearing in mind that this was circa 37 years ago, my memory is obviously rusty.

I remember this car very well, as it sat in Ford Europe reception and I walked past it every day!

It was also a "Show Car", not one of Team Broadspeed's regular BTCC entries.

I do remember the engine problems and that it was something esoteric, which is why it was sold to Dennis at D & Shells in Leytonstone and a full race twink fitted instead. (After a first step 1650).

It was definitely not a Webber 28/36 DCD progressive twin choke: more like a pair of IDAs.

Must have been a "Special" demo car, rather than a fully homologated GP II.

There were quite a few specials about: including the experimental Twin Cam Anglia: which was considered as a temporary replacement for the Mk I Lotus-Cortina, whilst the MK II was being developed.

I'll see what I can find out: unfortunately both Francis Beechey and my old chum Alan Daykin (SRP) who negotiated the sale of the original engine are no longer with us.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 09:21 (Ref:2157046)   #42
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
gp2 dc28/36 car was early, circa 1963 basically a 1200 FJ engine with classic struts and discs, 5 1/2J's all off the shelf ford bits really

club spec was 1340 overbored in '62/63, Willment prepared Doc Merefield, then 1500cc Cortina and 1650 by the mid 60's

the downdraught IDA cars where later gp5 I think, Broadspeed being the most famous, they ran the 5 bearing bottom end at 1300 and again some 997 screamers, they produced some excellent power outputs as well at 10k plus revs so the rebuild business must have been brisk!
Old 20 Mar 2008, 10:56 (Ref:2157116)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
gp2 dc28/36 car was early, circa 1963 basically a 1200 FJ engine with classic struts and discs, 5 1/2J's all off the shelf ford bits really
Make that 1500 and you have my road car in 1974! Oh and add the matt black bonnet!
Old 20 Mar 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2157254)   #44
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Not only did they use a 5 main bearing block, but also ran a 5 cam bearing block for a while to get over valve timing variations caused by cam "flex",until the cams were made of suitable material.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Mar 2008, 14:08 (Ref:2157284)   #45
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Also when the championship regs were changed in 1966 from Gp 2 to Gp 5 everything else on the car (brakes/suspension/transmission/ lightweight parts) apart from the block and cam position was changed. This opened a whole can of worms and made the Anglebox more competitive and the last knockings in 1967 with TJ injection was 125bhp (still 1 litre) I believe with the Holbay R85 unit .
Old 20 Mar 2008, 14:47 (Ref:2157313)   #46
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
which leads nicely on to the HRSR regs of today !

125 bhp per litre from a push rod iron lumps reasonable going !
Old 20 Mar 2008, 21:34 (Ref:2157617)   #47
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Make that 1500 and you have my road car in 1974! Oh and add the matt black bonnet!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nqqZ28m8uCo
Is this you Pete ( when you had hair)
Old 20 Mar 2008, 22:18 (Ref:2157651)   #48
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
which leads nicely on to the HRSR regs of today !

125 bhp per litre from a push rod iron lumps reasonable going !
Are you and Simon co-ordinating your HRSR comments ?

Seriously - I'm not sure the 125bhp from 1 litre in period would be substantiated today on a reliable dyno. However, those cars certainly flew.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 05:55 (Ref:2157820)   #49
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Gordon,

One of the classic ads from the 70's. No I smoked Chesterfields. And I had 5 1/2j which fitted within the bodywork. But those front struts put some serious camber into the steering.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 05:58 (Ref:2157822)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents
Are you and Simon co-ordinating your HRSR comments ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents
Seriously - I'm not sure the 125bhp from 1 litre in period would be substantiated today on a reliable dyno. However, those cars certainly flew.
I'd love to see some of them out playing but apart from two, and I think they are 1200s I don't think there are any others racing these days.