Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Feb 2008, 09:24 (Ref:2127043)   #26
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone have any photos from today? Perhaps the GRM Commodores?
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 12 Feb 2008, 09:40 (Ref:2127052)   #27
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So why can Mr Patrizi do 91 laps of Winton but cant front at Adelaide??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 12 Feb 2008, 09:41 (Ref:2127054)   #28
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13
Does anyone have any photos from today? Perhaps the GRM Commodores?
Same as 2007.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 10:56 (Ref:2127104)   #29
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bloody 'ell FRSR are poor: 1 sec off the slowest Devleopment series car... If they are here, why won't they be at Adelaide !???
Old 12 Feb 2008, 11:08 (Ref:2127112)   #30
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
M-Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the NATSOFT results, they dont yet have a BF (or updated to BF-spec BA) - Patrizi is listed as driving a BA, which as it stands is illegal in the V8CS
Old 12 Feb 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2127146)   #31
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the GRM cars are exactly the same as last year including numbers on the door.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2127171)   #32
garbo6
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
garbo6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In addition to that, this should have been Patrizi's first drive in a V8 Supercar.

They may not have their race package sorted, but getting Patrizi as much track time as possible would be just as important at this stage.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2127182)   #33
sunseeker
Rookie

sunseeker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looks like a lot of cars running without a dorian!
Old 12 Feb 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2127506)   #34
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker
looks like a lot of cars running without a dorian!
6 Development Series cars ran without Dorian transmitters fitted but ALL the Main Game cars were timed.

Pit Exit opened at 9:00am and other than a couple of stoppages to grab cars which had stopped the session ran continuously until just before 6:00pm when the teams actually gave up (Macca I'm looking at you here ).

There was a short rain shower at around 9:30am or so but most teams had well and truly set their bench mark time by then and they then spent the rest of the day "Testing". The original finish was to be 5:00pm but this was extended to 6:00pm mid afternoon to line up better with the track time at QR tomorrow. Of course it decided to rain just after 5:00pm and only Steven Richards wandered out to practice his drifting skills and execute a nice spin at Turn 9.

The most popular alternate line was what we refer to as the "Slow Line" at Turn 2 (this involves leaving the track at Turn 1 and cutting across the grass to the old pit entry short cutting Turn 2) as well as the "Fast Line" off the Sweeper (falling off the sweeper at high speed and rejoining the track at Turn 8).

I notice people are geting all excited about the times being set but people obviously don't really understand how these days work.

What usually happens is each driver goes out first thing and sets a bench mark time and gathers telemetry on all the corners on that lap.

The team then goes about changing various components and settings on the car and the driver goes out to see what the changes has done to the car. They don't go out and try to better the time and may not even do a full lap at full pace. Seeing I was sitting in Race Control all day running things I could monitor the times being set and it wasn't until the end of the day that several cars moved up the time sheets (look at the lap number the fast time was set).

It seemed to be a battle of the Jack Daniels cars to see who was going to do the highest number of laps although I note with interest that Jack Perkins DVS car wasn't running a Dorian but speaking to him at the end of the day when he popped into Race Control to grab some timesheets he was happy with his times and number of laps.

The crowd figure varied depending on who you asked but best guess would be between 3000-4000 and I reckon it would've been closer to the 4000 than 3000 figure. Variety Club took about $3000 in gold coin donations prior to pulling up stumps at around lunchtime but many people turned up after lunch for a look.

My thanks go to the handful of foot soldier officials who came out to help who did all the work at ground level for me
Old 12 Feb 2008, 22:08 (Ref:2127516)   #35
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
Obviously "official timing" means it is only at the track as there is nothing on the live timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
just looked at it myself and it wasn't avalible they could of atleast done the live timing, not everyone lives in Vic or QLD .
Official timing was broadcast to anyone with a UHF TV at the track. See my post on the Winton Timing thread as to the reasons why the times are not worth a Pinch of Nanny Goats Poop

By the way, the fastest time list is now posted on Natsoft for those who think it's important.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 23:45 (Ref:2127570)   #36
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes that's all good and proper PDVA, set a time with a base line set up, and work it from there and see what the changes do to the car. Same time see what parts work and what don't and how they fair over the time. I would think that any team with a chance of beating there base line time would go for it.

At the end of the day, the times give an indication where all the teams are at for the start of the season, but that will change once they go at it in anger. I will say that unlike F1 testing where you can clearly see who has progressed and who hasn't, VCS is a different ball game. Once again, many variables can change what the teams found that worked for them yesterday and come Adelaide. Whoever was at the pointy end yesterday, might just happen to go backwards.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 00:21 (Ref:2127583)   #37
Fig Jam
Rookie

Fig Jam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
Seeing I was sitting in Race Control all day running things
so bruce [oz best c of c] robinson wasnt there
Old 13 Feb 2008, 00:27 (Ref:2127589)   #38
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
i don't wouldn't read nothing into times at a test just interesting to know who done what.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 00:53 (Ref:2127599)   #39
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Jam

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why didn't you wave PVDA, I was sitting over near the tank all day, although I did pop over to the tower of power for a quick chat with the blokes.

Some of the cars looked quite steady coming around the sweeper into the flip-flop, but others looked pretty ordinary. It was intersring to see them from that angle for a change.

Todd & McConville seemed quite loose through there, Tander and A. Jones were spot on.

You could tell the difference with the down changes on the cars with the sequential boxes, it seemd a lot smoother.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 01:44 (Ref:2127605)   #40
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Jam
Yes Bruce Robertson was fashionably on time as usual and spent a fair bit of time (between smokes) in and around RC but was happy to let me run things.

Obviously a crook shoulder has stopped you climbing stairs Trev, it would've been good to catch up with you but I only left the building once to grab my laptop, only to find I couldn't get into the track wireless network anyway, and spent the rest of the time on the top level.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 03:04 (Ref:2127623)   #41
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA

I notice people are geting all excited about the times being set but people obviously don't really understand how these days work.

What usually happens is each driver goes out first thing and sets a bench mark time and gathers telemetry on all the corners on that lap.

The team then goes about changing various components and settings on the car and the driver goes out to see what the changes has done to the car. They don't go out and try to better the time and may not even do a full lap at full pace. Seeing I was sitting in Race Control all day running things I could monitor the times being set and it wasn't until the end of the day that several cars moved up the time sheets (look at the lap number the fast time was set).

I have a small understanding of what they do on a test day PVDA , watching sector times is quite often (always) more informative than any lap time.
Would have been nice to be able to do that seeing as how the official timing was there.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 03:28 (Ref:2127629)   #42
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to be impressed with the Jones boy and it seems Mr Thompson got a handle also.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 06:50 (Ref:2127679)   #43
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
I have a small understanding of what they do on a test day PVDA , watching sector times is quite often (always) more informative than any lap time.
Would have been nice to be able to do that seeing as how the official timing was there.
Only Start/Finish lap times were requested so the sector loops weren't connected up as it requires wireless links and a few other things to work.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and some of the things learned;
  • Gate coin collectors stay longer to get more money for Variety Club
  • More Canteen staff
  • More supplies in the canteen
  • Timing system connected to the net or at least regular uploads to Natsoft
  • More info for the public via the PA system

The normal race Live Timing is done by linking the timing system to the BigPond Media trailer which wasn't there, the timing system yesterday was just a simple laptop set up not the multi computer set up they usually use at V8 events.

The whole day turned out to be bigger than anyone expected and hopefully will become an annual event at Winton & QR.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2127746)   #44
vxfan
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
vxfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13
Does anybody have any photos from today? Perhaps the GRM Commodores?
Here u go mate -

Cheers,
Tony.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 11:09 (Ref:2127816)   #45
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks vxfan, got any others of our multi coloured field??
Old 13 Feb 2008, 22:36 (Ref:2128301)   #46
vxfan
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
vxfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heaps mate.Here's a few -

Tons more here -
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y22...st%20Day%2008/
Cheers,
Tony.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 23:33 (Ref:2128343)   #47
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the Bottle-O car. It will stand out in the pack.
Old 14 Feb 2008, 00:08 (Ref:2128355)   #48
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
for me HRT, BOC and the Bottle-O cars look great at speed, i really think the silver/chrome wheels really dress the JD car up, the AutoBarn car looks good at speed i think Rick's fluro orange looks abit tacky, for some reason i liked the pic's of the PWR car but don't really like it in the pic's of it on track, i thought the Sprint Gas cars looked okay at speed on track better than the launch pic's.
Old 14 Feb 2008, 01:00 (Ref:2128382)   #49
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
RS500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm sorry but that HRT car looks like the old PWR cars out on track
Old 14 Feb 2008, 03:12 (Ref:2128426)   #50
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth