Old 1 Sep 2008, 14:17 (Ref:2279416)   #26
atomik99
Rookie

Canada
Canada
atomik99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by matarleton
Since I have been working on the construction of a new track in the US, I can tell you that the differences in cost do not outweigh the revenue. Moroso in Florida is undergoing a total track remodel and redesign. Eventhough the track was shortened by removing the dragstrip and making it separate, their main limitation was land size. Separating the drag from roadcourse seemed to be important to them and after my time in the business, I know why.
You're probably very correct in the money issue because I have no experience with that aspect. But what are your thoughts on the having the same grandstands so that drag events and road course events can be held on the same weekend. From a fan perspective, I think it's wonderful and that's why I'm a fan of those kinds of tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matarleton
Nevertheless, it is a good exercise to do designs because it makes you more aware of your current tracks you run on, your ideas and thoughts of "nirvana" and also your understanding of the track design process in general.

Matt
Certainly. Also, my main goal when first designing this track was to have the drag strip integrated into the road course, similar to Infineon or Bahrain (not necessarily in the sense that they must use a majority of the same road, but that they must share the same grandstands, paddock area, etc). So this is more of an experiment, more than anything.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 21:56 (Ref:2279765)   #27
matarleton
Racer

United States
Florida
matarleton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess the positioning of grandstands would benefit the most by having a dragstrip and roadcourse combination. However, 99% of track activity will have few spectators. I Guess it is a matter of what the track is being designed for, a widely used facility or one that caters only to larger races. I believe the best examples of these kinds of tracks are ovals. Ovals such as Daytona and Charlotte get alot of usage in comparison to other ovals but get very little usage in comparison to roadcourses like Sebring. In fact, I would argue that ovals are used with their roadcourse option as much if not more than just the oval outside of NASCAR style races. A track close to me in FL, which was built for spectators, was USA International. They made their money once or twice a month with races and grandstands for 10,000 spectators and did not cater to the rental market at all. Thus, the track stayed empty most of the time. Result... it is now being demolished for a warehouse complex. IMO, catering to the spectator results in a tough time. When I was at the 12 Hours of Sebring, I watched mostly from the top of a tractor trailer in the paddock. Very few grandstands but alot of people.

I will end with this... our track does not have permanent grandstands designed into the original design. For races, we will bring in temp grandstands because the races will amount to but a small percentage of the days.

Matt
Old 16 Nov 2008, 23:21 (Ref:2336104)   #28
atomik99
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Vancouver Raceway

Hi everyone! Long time no see
I finally got around to finishing this (been busy at a new job).

Racetrack layout for the fictional "Vancouver Raceway" integrates a 4.1 km (2.5 mile) road course with a quarter-mile drag strip.

As with my previous track, this course is designed with spectator viewing to be the utmost importance. Fans sitting in the front stretch grandstands can see nearly the entire track. Those sitting in the south-east stands can see 70%-85% of the track (depending on the specific seat).

General admission viewing areas are also featured at turn 10 (at the finish line of the quarter-mile drag strip), and at turn 14.

A RV parking/camping area is located along the straight between turns 13 and 14.

The road course has 34 pit stalls, each being approximately 13 meters (42 feet) in length.

Comments and Suggestions are welcomed!

Early design work and comments now Merged into this thread as per request
Attached Thumbnails
Vancouver_Raceway_v1_atomik.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 17 Nov 2008 at 00:20.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 00:29 (Ref:2336114)   #29
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think this finished version looks great.

Very minor quibble the pitlane is a little long with the "Don't cross" being a shade too close to the Apex. But I'm seriously nit-picking.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2336252)   #30
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just hit by a wave of ultra-coolness when I first saw that, does that explain much?? I think it does!! Kudos!
Old 18 Nov 2008, 02:08 (Ref:2336750)   #31
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is incredible. The whole thing has a very professional, realistic approach. Not only is the circuit itself great, but the map has such a high level of detail. No complaints here. Looking forward to more from you!
Old 18 Nov 2008, 03:53 (Ref:2336770)   #32
atomik99
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Thanks everyone! Much appreciated
Old 20 Nov 2008, 01:11 (Ref:2338069)   #33
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow great job,the track itself it's very good, very efficient use of the terrain, I love the wide parts,they give you ample choice of lines ,genius!
I can only think about one change,taking the drag strip from inside the trace and moving it outside,to the left,because that way the drag and road course could operate independently, the price being just the relatively small section of the drag strip that's actually being used to be added,in terms of asphalt.

The road course it's so good it deserves it's own merit,IMHO.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2338318)   #34
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Luiggi. WOW

Great job
Old 22 Nov 2008, 00:28 (Ref:2339244)   #35
atomik99
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Thanks for the comments and compliments

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed
I can only think about one change,taking the drag strip from inside the trace and moving it outside,to the left,because that way the drag and road course could operate independently, the price being just the relatively small section of the drag strip that's actually being used to be added,in terms of asphalt.
Interesting. That certainly would work as well.