Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who is the best F1 driver ever?
SENNA 12 38.71%
PROST 3 9.68%
FANGIO 3 9.68%
OTHER 13 41.94%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Jul 2001, 20:39 (Ref:117418)   #26
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna, with Montoya joining them shortly.
Old 15 Jul 2001, 21:08 (Ref:117422)   #27
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clark and Senna equal 1st. Montoya joining them shortly? Wouldn't bet against it.
Old 15 Jul 2001, 22:51 (Ref:117447)   #28
Jaxs
Racer

Jaxs has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Jim Clark
Old 16 Jul 2001, 13:03 (Ref:117753)   #29
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've stated in every single forum I've visited that Jim Clark is the greatest. Now I'm not going to trundle out facts because that is MY OPINION. Everyone has their opinion on who the best is because the simple fact is it is impossible to compare drivers over a 50 year period. Basically all I judge mine is on video footage, books I've read and stats/percentages and square root it all by 19!

Other greats however, in no particular order, are the usual lot of Fangio, Senna, Prost, Stewart, Mansell, TGF, Lauda, Gilles, Brabham and Hakkinen, with perhaps G.Hill, Ascari and Ronnie Peterson thrown in for good measure.

I haven't classified Nuvolari as he never competed in F1. HOWEVER, if we did, I would classify him as THE greatest driver of ALL TIME.
Old 16 Jul 2001, 18:14 (Ref:117861)   #30
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No contest. Senna has always and always will be the greatest ever.

Top 3 would be:

Senna
Prost
G.Villeneuve

Raikkonen is catching fast.
Old 16 Jul 2001, 21:25 (Ref:117954)   #31
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm another good'ish topic.
Reading about all of these drivers brought back a few nice stories in the mind(not memories -not old enough)I've found a few really good stories here & there on the net.Thanks whoever mentioned J CLARK-I'd allmost forgotten
Old 16 Jul 2001, 21:43 (Ref:117963)   #32
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Impossible to tell, but I cannot conceive of how you could ask this question without considering Clark, Stewart, Nuvolari or Carracciola.
Old 16 Jul 2001, 22:06 (Ref:117970)   #33
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been ignoring this thread for so long. But now I think I put my finger on it.

How can we compare drivers with some many different technologies (or absence of) through 50 years of the last century ? Not mentioning tracks, safety facilities and physical condition. I don't feel capable comparing TGF to Clark, unless I had a time machine to bring both past/future and see who performs better. I can't compare the ultra-dangerous and mythical 60's/70's to the highly-safe and computer-aided 90's : No, please, I'm not saying that the drivers (anyone of them in both eras) are/were not skilled. It's just a question of measurement to the sake of the comparition.

So, I think the nature (GOD) does a good job. So we have TGF now, we had Senna in the late 80's and so on back in time... It's seems quite good to me this way.
Old 17 Jul 2001, 03:38 (Ref:118084)   #34
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tommi Makkenin. Even if I can't spell it. Anybody who can win four championships in a rally car is one hell of a good driver!

I'd like to put Senna, Prost, TGF and Fangio in rally cars and see which one came out the other end. I'd bet on Fangio. Senna'd be in a tree because he was trying to pass other cars around a blind curve and into a splash; Prost would be close behind Fangio but waiting for his chance, and TGF would go off the road behind Senna while trying to ram him.

Fangio would win.

But the answer to the question is Tommi Makkenin. I am in awe of all rally drivers, and he is clearly the best.
Old 18 Jul 2001, 16:59 (Ref:118887)   #35
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1)Badoer
2)Montermini
3)Alboreto
4)Gene
5)Lamy
Old 18 Jul 2001, 17:03 (Ref:118889)   #36
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Luca man,

you really love the underdogs !!!!

Montermini !
Old 18 Jul 2001, 17:08 (Ref:118891)   #37
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you put Andrea Montermini in a Ferrari and Alain Prost in an identical car, Monty would win any day.
Old 18 Jul 2001, 17:37 (Ref:118899)   #38
williams fan
Rookie

williams fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Thinkin about what bononi wrote in this poll I think I should have set this poll up different
Best driver from each century so technology,saftey, and lots of other factors don't make a difference, just a thought!!!
Thanx 4 makin that point Bononi
Old 18 Jul 2001, 17:44 (Ref:118901)   #39
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

You're welcome.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 02:24 (Ref:119039)   #40
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Between the era there are many best drivers, but I posted my vote to
JUAN MANUEL FANGIO
Not only for his successful campaign in F1, also for the kind of man he was.

And this in my post number 200!
Old 19 Jul 2001, 02:24 (Ref:119041)   #41
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Between the era there are many best drivers, but I posted my vote to
JUAN MANUEL FANGIO
Not only for his successful campaign in F1, also for the kind of man he was.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 10:17 (Ref:119131)   #42
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by LucaBadoer
1)Badoer
2)Montermini
3)Alboreto
4)Gene
5)Lamy
I'm with you mate
Old 19 Jul 2001, 12:08 (Ref:119170)   #43
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

And I thought both of you were the same person with different personalities.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 20:43 (Ref:119365)   #44
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by LucaBadoer
1)Badoer
2)Montermini
3)Alboreto
4)Gene
5)Lamy
Alboreto I remember for his crash this year, Badoer a good test driver for Ferrari, Lamy for his "crashing" season with Lotus in 94 and Gene for coming 3rd in a karting shootout with other F1 drivers. Montermini..nope can't place him. There obviously all better than Senna hence why they have never won a race in F1!
Old 19 Jul 2001, 21:33 (Ref:119397)   #45
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Michele Alboreto very, very nearly won the World Championship in 1985, and might have done it if not for turbo unreliability.

He was in the very top flight. Make no mistake about that.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 21:34 (Ref:119398)   #46
zealot
Racer

zealot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, so most of these guys aren't in the top echelon, but Michele Albereto (excuse the spelling) was a steady performer in the 1980s, once coming in second in the WDC, and he has won F1 races, including winning the last race for the old Cosworth engine (in a Tyrrell, beating a field full of turbos!). In addition to being a great all-around driver of sportscars. Let's be a little more careful before we start casting dispersions, especially of a respected driver, and man, who gave his life so we could enjoy the spectactle of speed.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 21:37 (Ref:119401)   #47
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And by God he could make the Ferrari dance.

One of my most cherished motorsport memories is Michele in qualifying around Brands Hatch. Pure poetry.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 21:42 (Ref:119404)   #48
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't possibly judge pre-war drivers. Can't even judge them against each other due to the radical differences in the machines they drove.

And how can we compare Fangio, say, to Clark? Fangio couldn't even get into Clark's 1.5 litre sewing machine let alone race it. And who knows how great he could have been had he been able to enter F1 at the age of Clark, Prost, or Senna? If he had not been killed that is. Perhaps it was his maturity that allowed him to survive the grand prix carnage of the fifties.

But in terms of stature in the eyes of his peers (with the odd exception of Enzo Ferrari, that is), no one comes close to Fangio. He was the 'old man', 'the maestro'. Senna looked up to him, as he did to no other predecessor, because his reputation was incomparable, without blemish. He had the best results, but he was also the fastest. He was the fastest, but had the most mechanical sympathy, was the canniest tactician, and so on. All this and he was loved by his competitors.

He is the standard to which all others can be compared, only to be found deficient in one respect or another.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 22:08 (Ref:119414)   #49
Ortegatrail
Rookie

Ortegatrail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Incredible! Why is that Andretti doesn't even deserve mention in this poll? I may not consider him " The All Time Greatest " in F1, But for racing in general he certainly warrants some consideration. does'nt he?
Old 20 Jul 2001, 16:01 (Ref:119698)   #50
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD

But I take my hat off to every single man or woman who has strapped on a crash-hat and raced a Grand Prix car. [/B]

And therefore, I'd like to give my vote to Lella Lombardi. She is definitelly not the greatest driver in the history, but she is the only woman that signed her name in F1 history.

That is something I would like to see more of.