Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 23 Sep 2015, 06:42 (Ref:3576255)   #26
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNHodge View Post
Time booked off work - now planning flights!

Other than the MSA marshalling abroad letter, any paperwork required?
Take your MSA card as well.
I think they provide you overalls - if not, I'd get some painters trousers (google it) and some long sleeve white t-shirts or 'formal' cotton shirts, which will be much cooler and allow you to fit in
Old 23 Sep 2015, 08:11 (Ref:3576269)   #27
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
Rockingham or Texas???? hmmm difficult one that
There's always the issue of discretionary cash for air fares, too. Unfortunately all of mine went into dealing with a fallen tree this summer, so no flights for me!
Old 23 Sep 2015, 12:52 (Ref:3576345)   #28
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Take your MSA card as well.
I think they provide you overalls - if not, I'd get some painters trousers (google it) and some long sleeve white t-shirts or 'formal' cotton shirts, which will be much cooler and allow you to fit in
Yes, overalls are provided. Just remember to wear something under them on the last day as they must be returned!

Old 24 Sep 2015, 08:40 (Ref:3576583)   #29
RNHodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Never on dry land
RNHodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for your replies!
Old 24 Sep 2015, 15:56 (Ref:3576674)   #30
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Just been in touch with them. They are only looking for Flag marshals. All other "trades" are full!

Sad face!
What's wrong with flagging? It might still include some (or even a lot depending on turn assignment and Maldonado's mood haha) intervention duties as there are no separate flagging and intervention duties in the US. Signing up for F&C and pointing out that your primary expertise is intervention (?) will probably help out specific turn assignments significantly, keep in mind that the average overall experience level of the marshals for this event is much lower than you are used to in England, Belgium, Canada, Monaco and some other places. For intervention it's even less! (mainly because of the dominant reluctancy towards hot track intervention in the US.) I would say your intervention skills are much needed for this event!

And you'll probably get to do a bit of comm work as well.

What are you waiting for? Sign up please! (if you haven't done so already)
Old 24 Sep 2015, 16:02 (Ref:3576676)   #31
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Can't make this,bu with Bill and Sydney as chiefs, you'll be well looked after and your corner will be fought. Not sure Bill can cook enough burgers for you,, like he did for us at Mid Ohio. And probably no Jambalya that Sydney laid on in New Orleans

Well, they must have been 'off form' then this past weekend, didn't get to sample any of that...
On a brighter note, the food provided by the track was excellent (and drinks refills very good too)! Welcome to Texas!
Old 24 Sep 2015, 18:15 (Ref:3576717)   #32
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
On a brighter note, the food provided by the track was excellent (and drinks refills very good too)! Welcome to Texas!
Jeanie Caulfield the COTA Motorsports Operations & Events Manager is to praise for that. She said her boss would love to hear any feedback on her performance so if any of you wish to send a note acknowledging her efforts, I would encourage you to do so.
Old 25 Sep 2015, 06:42 (Ref:3576885)   #33
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, they must have been 'off form' then this past weekend, didn't get to sample any of that...
I was talking for the upcoming F1, and of course my experience with them was elsewhere

And isn't Austin the home of Texas BBQ?
Old 25 Sep 2015, 15:30 (Ref:3576999)   #34
Coach Ep
Veteran

Texas is the home of Texas BBQ!
Old 25 Sep 2015, 15:34 (Ref:3577000)   #35
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer View Post
Jeanie Caulfield the COTA Motorsports Operations & Events Manager is to praise for that. She said her boss would love to hear any feedback on her performance so if any of you wish to send a note acknowledging her efforts, I would encourage you to do so.
I get your point but it kinda gets leveled out by the inhumane morning meeting hours, especially on Thu & Fri. But that's a different story...
Old 25 Sep 2015, 16:49 (Ref:3577014)   #36
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Apple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I get your point but it kinda gets leveled out by the inhumane morning meeting hours, especially on Thu & Fri. But that's a different story...
It probably wont feel so early for me because of the time difference
Old 25 Sep 2015, 17:11 (Ref:3577023)   #37
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's Jeannies birthday around race time as well, so make sure you take her some treats. She's lovely and really works hard for us!
Old 16 Oct 2015, 18:25 (Ref:3583421)   #38
RNHodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Never on dry land
It's all getting rather exciting now! Flights, accomodation and paperwork all sorted!

See you there! Anyone else at T9?
Old 17 Oct 2015, 08:42 (Ref:3583521)   #39
marcosmantula
Rookie

United Kingdom
South West
marcosmantula should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Post 5A for me. First time as a post chief at F1
Old 17 Oct 2015, 23:20 (Ref:3583690)   #40
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmantula View Post
Post 5A for me. First time as a post chief at F1
would love to hear your feedback post event
Old 18 Oct 2015, 08:36 (Ref:3583796)   #41
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
ok will do Mr true
I'm on 11a
Old 19 Oct 2015, 14:07 (Ref:3584107)   #42
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
It's all getting rather exciting now! Flights, accomodation and paperwork all sorted!

See you there! Anyone else at T9?
I did T9 for the WEC event this year. Other than the safety fence blocking 2/3 of the front of the flag station (and making yellow flagging a bit more of a challenge) I found it a very enjoyable spot with, other than the aforementioned one, no safety fencing in your surroundings (as it is on drivers left aka 'the inside') - a rare thing at grade 1 tracks these days! It also gives you a great view towards T11 and the long back straight. It's also right next to a jumbo-tron to provide some 'additional coverage'!

Enjoy, stay safe and have fun!
Old 20 Oct 2015, 13:33 (Ref:3584337)   #43
mjpiotr
Rookie

Poland
Alexandria, VA
mjpiotr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
I'm on 11a
That is a wonderful station. In 2013 I have been there on blue flag for F1 sessions. Even though you do not see them braking into the hairpin it still is fun to blue flag. And we had some Ferrari pile-up during the Sunday Ferrari Challenge race Lots of sweeping under full-course-yellow.
Old 23 Oct 2015, 13:55 (Ref:3584990)   #44
Coach Ep
Veteran

Day 1 (Fri) newsletter: http://sowdivscca.com/f1/friday.pdf
Old 26 Oct 2015, 11:55 (Ref:3585674)   #45
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So have you folks dried out yet?
Old 27 Oct 2015, 02:32 (Ref:3585857)   #46
marcosmantula
Rookie

United Kingdom
South West
marcosmantula should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
So have you folks dried out yet?
I have, it was a beautiful, warm sunny day in Austin today😀. Unfortunately now sat in the airport lounge on my way back to blighty 😥

Despite the weather it was a great weekend. Thanks to everyone involved in organising everything and especially for getting marshals to and from post during the worst of the rain and to my guys on 5A, who were all first timers at F1, but really embraced the event.

See you all next year.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 19:09 (Ref:3586039)   #47
RNHodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Never on dry land
Best weekend marshalling ever. Hospitality, banter, track action was all excellent.

Shame I can't do the Silverstone GP (not done enough days) - I guess I'll be going back to COTA next year!
Old 27 Oct 2015, 21:07 (Ref:3586063)   #48
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Nice and dry and sunny now I'm back in East Sussex.
I had a great time even though it was a bit wet
I will go back, we were well looked after,
Thanks to everyone involved.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 23:12 (Ref:3586078)   #49
Fubar Andy
Rookie

United Nations
North West
Fubar Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you camp on site (if it was possible) or stay locally in hotels?
Old 28 Oct 2015, 09:04 (Ref:3586145)   #50
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
I stayed at the hotel.
They block book a hotel and provide transport to and from the hotel, it made life easy staying there.
You can camp or have a camper van at the circuit if you would like or get your own hotel and travel to it in your car and park near the marshals sign on area.
I had a great time there and once I got there all my food and drink was provided by them, the only time I spent any money on food was when some of us went out for a meal Sunday evening.
I can recommend going and I will go back, I met some good people out there and had a good time even though most of the action was cancelled due to the rain.
The people on my post came from all over the world, 2 Aussies, 2 Americans, 1 from the UAE 1 from Singapore, and me.
There was quite a few Brits out there as well,