Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 15 Aug 2015, 08:22 (Ref:3566144)   #26
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such a lovely lady; a light extinguished far too soon. Shelagh's posts during her illness were a fantastic inspiration and example of how to live your life to the very maximum.
RIP Pie Lady, Bill - you are in my thoughts.

Gerry Condon
Old 15 Aug 2015, 09:24 (Ref:3566149)   #27
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We never met except through posts on Tenths.

It's always sad to lose a fellow marshal.

Race In Peace Pie Lady.

My thoughts to you guys up there from one down here.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 13:30 (Ref:3566182)   #28
rotation
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stirlingshire, UK
rotation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's very sad news. All the best to family and close friends.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 13:44 (Ref:3566183)   #29
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news. Like many others I followed her posts on here and rooted for her. RIP.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 16:46 (Ref:3566199)   #30
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I never knew Shelagh but she would have flagged at a meeting that I was at and without the guys n gals in orange none of us could have enjoyed it.
As I sit in an amazing villa in the sun at this moment with an equally amazing view with no problems at all I realise how lucky I am !! Rip Shelagh
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Aug 2015, 18:02 (Ref:3566210)   #31
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Really sad news, like many I only knew Shelagh from her Ten Tenths posts. I was so impressed with her bravery and the way she dealt with her illness, she was so stoic and so matter of fact and upfront, I suspect we have all learnt a lot from her.

RIP Shelagh, much love to her family and friends. I get the impression she'd want us to raise a glass and to celebrate the life that she had x
Old 16 Aug 2015, 10:25 (Ref:3566278)   #32
Keith Kehoe
Rookie

United Kingdom
Runcorn, Cheshire
Keith Kehoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such sad news, Shelagh will be greatly missed by the orange army, I know she fought long & hard to beat her illness but through it all never lost her sense of humour. My sincere condolences to Bill & the rest of Shelagh's family.
Old 16 Aug 2015, 20:06 (Ref:3566339)   #33
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really know what to say. Shelagh and I started marshalling at about the same time more than a quarter of a century ago, and were friends ever since. We've had some great days on post at a variety of circuits.

I followed her fight with the Big C full of admiration for her stoicism, courage, and sense of humour. I feel there is a hole in my life with her passing but at least her fight is over.

My condolences to Bill and her family.

RIP, Shelagh.
Old 17 Aug 2015, 09:38 (Ref:3566420)   #34
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the first time I met Shelagh and Bill. It was many years ago at Rockingham. We got talking whilst at the marshals camp site (outside of turn 2) and within minutes it felt like i'd known her for years. This was then followed by a very pleasant evening drinking and chatting. I found out years later that we were also working for the same Government department (Shelagh was far higher up than i was) and every so often an email from Shelagh would arrive about marshalling or motorsport. It made a nice change from work emails.

It was always a lovely suprise bumping into Shelagh at meetings around the UK to be greeted by her lovely smile. I, like many others, have followed her battle through her page on 10/10ths. I was always amazed how she remained positive and cheerful when most other people would have given up. The world is a sadder place without her presence.

My thoughts are with Bill and her family.

RIP Shelagh. X

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 17 Aug 2015, 10:03 (Ref:3566428)   #35
bill.turnbull
Rookie

bill.turnbull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shelagh

I am deeply moved by all your comments.

Shelagh generously wanted to give her body to Keele University Medical School but I have heard this morning that it would not be accepted.

The cremation will therefore by in St Helens - date to be arranged.

Thank you for your concern and appreciation of my BBG (big brave girl).
Old 17 Aug 2015, 11:34 (Ref:3566444)   #36
JonT
Rookie

United Kingdom
Copthorne West Sussex
JonT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such sad news. Always ready to have a chat whenever our paths crossed when I ventured up north from Sussex. And in recent years so upbeat no matter what.

My deepest sympathy and condolences to you Bill at this sad time.

Jon
Old 17 Aug 2015, 18:26 (Ref:3566506)   #37
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am not a marshal so I hope I am not out of order, however, I did swap a couple of e-mails with Shelagh about a year ago and sent her a picture she wanted, and like so many others was amazed at her fortitude in adversity, and good humour right until the end. It is obvious that she was a very special lady.

Following the raffle at the Delta's Classic BBQ evening I have £45 raised from ticket sales, I had put out a few feelers to see if there was any thing to spend the money on, last year we provided two micro waves to Silverstone marshals, and hoped to something similar elsewhere

I can not think of any better use for the money than to put it towards some form of memorial to Shelagh. A plaque at her 'home' circuit, a bench with an inscription in her honour?

A small brass plaque inscribed can be bought for £39 at a local garden centre, but maybe others may care to contribute towards something more substantial.

If any such idea is launched I will be pleased to send the money, meanwhile I will pray for Shelagh and for Bill and all of her friends.

Bob Bull aka Bauble.
Old 17 Aug 2015, 19:57 (Ref:3566525)   #38
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
RIP, Shelagh. Thoughts with Bill and family.
Old 17 Aug 2015, 21:30 (Ref:3566542)   #39
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Condolences to Shelagh's family from New Zealand.
I've enjoyed reading Shelaghs posts on 10 tenths over the years.
RIP.
Old 19 Aug 2015, 10:51 (Ref:3566914)   #40
bill.turnbull
Rookie

bill.turnbull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shelagh's Funeral

Shelagh's funeral will take place on Friday 28 August at 11.30am at St Helens Crematorium, Rainford Road WA10 6DF, followed by what Shelagh insisted in calling a "party" at the Greenalls Sports and Social Club in Alder Hey Road WA10 4DN.

No flowers please, donations to the Kathrine House Hospice, Weston Road Stafford ST16 3SB.

Many thanks for all the cards and messages of condolence I have received.

Bill
Old 19 Aug 2015, 17:01 (Ref:3566966)   #41
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I can not think of any better use for the money than to put it towards some form of memorial to Shelagh. A plaque at her 'home' circuit, a bench with an inscription in her honour?

A small brass plaque inscribed can be bought for £39 at a local garden centre, but maybe others may care to contribute towards something more substantial.

If any such idea is launched I will be pleased to send the money, meanwhile I will pray for Shelagh and for Bill and all of her friends.

Bob Bull aka Bauble.
Organising things like that is always fraught with obstacles and that could be done by donation at a later date anyway, Why not give it to a cancer charity or better still MacMillan?
Old 19 Aug 2015, 20:42 (Ref:3567014)   #42
Simon Morris
Racer

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Simon Morris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rest in peace Shelagh

Although I have not seen Shaleagh much recently, she was one of the many mentors of mine in my early days of marshaling.
Alway cheerful, and encourgaing us newbies how to do it properly.
RIP Shelagh
Old 20 Aug 2015, 08:20 (Ref:3567156)   #43
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Met her at Le Mans in 2007 ...... she was an inspiration to me if honest....we spoke regularly on here and also when at venues...... the last time I spoke to her she was considering a cruise....ironically, that is what I am on at the moment and will not be back in time to be able to attend her funeral...otherwise I would have been there.

I am truly very sad that she lost the battle, she kept us up to date with her treatment in only a way that she could....her outlook on it was one that should be an inspiration to all.My thoughts are with you Bill and all her family and friends

RIP Pie Lady....you are and will remain sorely missed xxx
Old 20 Aug 2015, 08:29 (Ref:3567157)   #44
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never met Shelagh, but followed her posts on here over the years and was always heartened by the courage and humour she showed throughout. RIP Shelagh.
Old 22 Aug 2015, 00:35 (Ref:3567600)   #45
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So sorry to hear of your loss Bill. Always counted Shelagh as a good friend. She will be sadly missed by everyone.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 21:10 (Ref:3569248)   #46
colincragg
Rookie

England
Melton Mowbray
colincragg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately, now unable to get to St Helens for Sheila's funeral tomorrow. However I will be thinking about her and the good times we shared. My best wishes go to Bill and the rest of her friends on what will be a very emotional day. RIP Sheila, now at peace and free of pain.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 13:46 (Ref:3569355)   #47
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And all best wishes to Bill, family and friends from over here. I only knew Shelagh from her comments here on Ten Tenths, but she was certainly a big part of this online community as she was of your UK marshalling family. I trust she will have her flags out at her new post ready to wave the green or red for the rest of us as appropriate.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 17:07 (Ref:3569411)   #48
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Attached Thumbnails
11947457_849375018481350_8514056820212964721_n.jpg  

Last edited by Nadine J Lewis; 28 Aug 2015 at 17:19.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 17:10 (Ref:3569413)   #49
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lovely service to say goodbye to Shelagh - surrounded by many family and friends

From the evocative chords of The Chain to the pork pies on the buffet she was there in spirit. RIP Shelagh
Attached Thumbnails
11951972_849375111814674_185953983663142546_n.jpg   11889691_849375235147995_4121607578772942252_n.jpg   11898921_849375068481345_5571673168300633683_n.jpg  

11947457_849375018481350_8514056820212964721_n.jpg  
Old 28 Aug 2015, 17:35 (Ref:3569416)   #50
vw_nut
Veteran

England
hereford
vw_nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly I wish bill and family well on this sad day. I may not have known shelagh very well or seen her and bill very much, but I will always remember her. It was a damp day at silverstone a Friday for the britcar 24 hrs and my first ever day with a radio as io at silverstone. Ped bridge as was for the day. Rather green behind the ears I turned up on post to set the bottles out. And there was shelagh and bill my flag team for the day. They were both a joy to work with and made my day much easier and help and adviced me here and there. I will never forget that day and I will never forget shelagh! Race In Peace!