Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 24 Jun 2002, 21:30 (Ref:320750)   #26
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of friends of mine attended yesterday's excellent HSCC meeting at Brands. They both thoroughly enjoyed themselves, but could not understand why the crowd was so small. Answer, Octagon did not - to the best of my knowledge - promote the meeting. Why not? This is now the closest major historic meeting to London, but nobody outside of the sport new it was taking place. Criminal IMHO.
Old 25 Jun 2002, 07:02 (Ref:320983)   #27
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The club owners pay to hire the circuit for the day but keep all the entry fees. The circuit gets the money from the clubs plus any gate money and extra cash from any 'sales pitches' they sell.
Old 25 Jun 2002, 08:05 (Ref:321008)   #28
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, for example, look at your finals for any meeting on an Octagon track. ANY hospitality is only allowed with the permission of Octogan - and guess what, you've got it a permit at £££..........
Old 25 Jun 2002, 08:43 (Ref:321054)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Scillitoe
A couple of friends of mine attended yesterday's excellent HSCC meeting at Brands. They both thoroughly enjoyed themselves, but could not understand why the crowd was so small. Answer, Octagon did not - to the best of my knowledge - promote the meeting. Why not? This is now the closest major historic meeting to London, but nobody outside of the sport new it was taking place. Criminal IMHO.
The BARC Classic Package in May was bigger and it drew a seriously large crowd. I believe it was promoted by the sponsor (CSMA).
Old 25 Jun 2002, 08:58 (Ref:321070)   #30
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett

The BARC Classic Package in May was bigger and it drew a seriously large crowd. I believe it was promoted by the sponsor (CSMA).
I understand 40,000 came through the gates over the weekend.
Old 25 Jun 2002, 09:46 (Ref:321104)   #31
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Possibly more. I heard above 12,000 on Saturday and 35,000 on the Sunday. In terms of racing the BARC and HSCC packages offer similarly good racing. In many ways it's a shame they couldn't be combined and given a fantastic weekend.

As Peter knows (Mallett and Sillytoes) I was there for both days of both meetings. The racing on each occasion was good, but the atmosphere at the CSMA meeting was calculably better given the size of the crowd and the family atmosphere.

This take me back to my previous question, what happened to the free race days hosted by The Sun, Evening Standard and the likes of Radio 1? Surely local radio stations such as Virgin, Invicta and Capital are large enought to be able to do something? One wonders how much willingness there is on the part of Octagon to spend the money to promote smaller meetings.
Old 25 Jun 2002, 20:06 (Ref:321507)   #32
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only reason some race tracks hold race meetings is so when the corporate punters come along they can say that they have raced on a race track that someone has herd of.
Most circuits make far more money on "drivedays" than on most meetings. The other advantage for the circuits is they have complete control.
A lot of club events might as well be run as closed events for the ammount of spectators they get. It would cut down on costs.
Several rallies are already run like this.