Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:22 (Ref:1167486)   #26
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly OT, but I think Coelho got a Williams test not long after winning FRenault. Anyway, hope it's dry for the Wednesday.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:39 (Ref:1167508)   #27
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
current weather conditions 15 minutes away : cold. v v cold. but dry, for once. fingers crossed it stays like this...

edit : stupid keyboard

Last edited by bella; 29 Nov 2004 at 22:40.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:57 (Ref:1167522)   #28
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
current weather conditions 15 minutes away : cold. v v cold. but dry, for once. fingers crossed it stays like this...

edit : stupid keyboard
Always more difficult to type with fingers crossed... Just so people know, it will be a private test, so a 10/10ths outing is not on the agenda, although I would have thought Mr Jinxx will be allowed in somehow.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 23:05 (Ref:1167533)   #29
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Weather forecast looks dry for Silverstone on Wednesday. There are arguments for and against each driver being quickest on the day so "it's a wait and see" i think. The main thing for all the participants must be to enjoy the experience and i suspect the quickest man will be the one with the coolest head.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 09:48 (Ref:1167833)   #30
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The forecast i've seen says dry but frosty in the morning. So surely the driver who go out first should be slowest and the one who goes out last fastest if this is the case.

And Green will not be slowest what ever happens, i'm pretty sure of that.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 10:33 (Ref:1167875)   #31
farcnield

Well Mr Green waas supposed to holdhistestin 2003 but was busy doing some testing with merecedes in europe. Instead Steve Kane was called up to get his award wining test. And yes Mr Green has almost certainly been in Merc DTM car as they are keen on him and he doesnt have enough mulah for GP2 possible not great with sponsors not sure. I still expect Snieder Meister to move aside possibly to do a Le mans Project for Merc leavinng Mr Green a seat.

My opinion is that Lewis could be a slightly quicker driver, both have very different styles so very hard to call Green is very confident almost cocky and will stay calm and learn how to get time from the car though but maybe not in 20 laps

Old 1 Dec 2004, 13:05 (Ref:1168943)   #32
Bobie
Racer

Bobie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anybody know how the tests are going?
Old 1 Dec 2004, 16:17 (Ref:1169081)   #33
Bobie
Racer

www.mclaren.co.uk 1 December 2004 14:19

YOUNG DRIVERS PILOT TEAM McLAREN MERCEDES MP4-19
There was an eerie silence in the pitlane at the Silverstone circuit this morning until 10am, when the noise of a powerful V10 Mercedes-Benz engine started to echo in the empty grandstands surrounding the circuit.

Inside the garage Lewis Hamilton sat in the Team McLaren Mercedes MP4-19, his eyes focused, an intense look of concentration on his face. For Lewis this was the first time that he would drive a Formula One car, it was to be an immense moment.

Alongside him stood Jamie Green and Alex Lloyd, the previous two winners of the McLaren Autosport BRDC Young Driver of the Year Award, who are here to also get their first experience of a Formula One car.

"This is going to mean a great deal to me," says Lewis. “I feel very privileged to have this opportunity. Knowing that I will get to drive the Formula One car is a dream come true."

"Driving a Team McLaren Mercedes Formula One car will be a big milestone in my life," adds Jamie. It will be a day I will always remember. When I won the award, my first thought was 'wow I am going to get to drive a Formula One car'",

"I don't feel any real pressure," continues Alex, "as a child I dreamed about this and today I will finally get to drive the car."

As Lewis edges out into the pitlane and onto Silverstone's national circuit, he exudes an air of confidence. The car bears his name where Kimi Raikkonen's would normally be, and he is stepping out onto hallowed tarmac where all the great Formula One drivers have made their mark.

You can hear him as he travels round the circuit, gently powering up through the gears, hitting the braking points. He is fast yet controlled, his enthusiasm and confidence growing with each lap. As he pulls into the garage at the end of his run, you can almost see his grin from beneath his helmet.

"That was phenomenal," he says after pausing to catch his breath. "I felt very natural with the speed of the car and thought the steering was quite light. The main difference was the power. My F3 Euroseries car has about 250bhp, whereas this car has more than 800bhp.

"As I pulled out of the pits, I took my time to get up to speed. I found that the car was very light and the traction control was amazing. The team said that they thought I did a good job, and the way I progressed over the laps was good. I just felt so at home."

For Jamie Green and Alex Lloyd, the chance to make their dreams a reality will come this afternoon. More information will be available on www.mclaren.com this afternoon.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 16:58 (Ref:1169117)   #34
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems to me (from the thrust of the article), that Lewis did extremely well on his debut.

I doubt that mclaren would have made such a press release if he had'nt. I guess we will have an indepth report from Mr. Jinxx later today.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 17:06 (Ref:1169122)   #35
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on, typical PR BS. Why would his enthusiasm have grown every lap?

Probably written last week.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 17:16 (Ref:1169132)   #36
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL. You might be right.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 17:19 (Ref:1169136)   #37
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobie
www.mclaren.co.uk 1 December 2004 14:19

"That was phenomenal," he [Lewis Hamilton] says after pausing to catch his breath. "I felt very natural with the speed of the car and thought the steering was quite light. The main difference was the power. My F3 Euroseries car has about 250bhp, whereas this car has more than 800bhp."
Blimey! No wonder those Mercedes-powered F3 cars are so quick if they have that much power!
Old 1 Dec 2004, 18:52 (Ref:1169224)   #38
Bobie
Racer

www.mclaren.co.uk 1 December 2004 18:24

JAMIE GREEN AND ALEX LLOYD GET THEIR FORMULA ONE DRIVE
This afternoon was the chance for Jamie Green and Alex Lloyd to get their runs in the Team McLaren Mercedes MP4-19 at the Silverstone circuit in Northamptonshire.

The two McLaren Autosport BRDC Young Driver of the Year award winners were to get a total of 21 laps each in the Team McLaren Mercedes machine as part of their prize for winning the competition.

Jamie was the first to go, turning the car out into Silverstone's long pitlane. He then got into a steady rhythm powering up through the straights and tackling the corners on the national circuit.

As he pulled back into the pit garage, he got out of the car and had a long talk with the engineers, talking to them about every detail of his test. "The confidence you get from the car is unbelievable," he said. "The braking, the power you get from this car is a massive step up from anything else I have driven before. My heart was beating fast before I left the garage, however I tried to get to the limit of the car as soon as I could, it was fantastic."

It was then the turn of Alex Lloyd, he too confidently manoeuvering the car out of the garage for his series of laps. As he travelled down the pit straight after his first couple of runs, you could see how his confidence had grown and he continued his runs, putting in a series of impressive laps.

"As I put my helmet on ready to go, I was pretty relaxed," he said. "As I came out of the pitlane there was no words I can use to describe the feeling. I have never driven a car with carbon brakes before so that took a bit of getting used to, however for the last few laps I was getting on really well."

So as the test came to an end and the obligatory photographs were taken, the drivers made their way back to their own cars for their journey home. However all of them agreed that it had been an unforgettable day, and one that they would talk about for a very long time.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 19:18 (Ref:1169245)   #39
Bobie
Racer

Would be nice to knwo their times, even though it was not a real test (only 21 laps) better than a kick in th rear.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 21:18 (Ref:1169358)   #40
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have the team commented on their performance? Normally there are quotes from the engineers.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1169405)   #41
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only those who were there know. And it's not for me to say. All i can say is that Mclaren were as expected, very professional but yet very friendly. The car was fantastic, both in performance and close up. If i wasn't a Mclaren fan before, i sure am now Finally to all the guys there, congratulations, you all did really well, and yes i was very envious.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 08:42 (Ref:1169569)   #42
105octane
Veteran

105octane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on Jinx spill the beans dude!!
Old 2 Dec 2004, 10:15 (Ref:1169633)   #43
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somebody must know and be willing to spill the beans. Who's predictions were right, which man was the fastest, or who showed the most potential?
Old 2 Dec 2004, 12:07 (Ref:1169741)   #44
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
It's been announced today that Jamie Green will drive for Mercedes in the DTM next season, which puts his single-seater hopes on hold at least.

So much for the F3 Euroseries beng a fast track to F1...
Old 2 Dec 2004, 12:53 (Ref:1169785)   #45
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Jamie can use the DTM as a route to F1 - better to have a paid drive at a big manufacturer than scrabbling around to find a budget.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 14:38 (Ref:1169889)   #46
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
I'd like to think so, too, but it hasn't worked for Gary Paffett, has it? To be honest, though, I think that's more because F1 is in a mess. It has to be if Anthony Davidson doesn't get a race drive next year after all that he has done this season.

Last edited by strider; 2 Dec 2004 at 14:39.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 15:03 (Ref:1169905)   #47
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What, did a few fast testing times?
Old 2 Dec 2004, 15:45 (Ref:1169936)   #48
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Logic suggests there is more to it than that, otherwise BAR would not be intent on keeping him on their books. I don't believe they are simply trying to spite Williams for the Buttongate affair.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 15:51 (Ref:1169938)   #49
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
I think Jamie can use the DTM as a route to F1 - better to have a paid drive at a big manufacturer than scrabbling around to find a budget.
Christijan Albers looks like he has a chance to race in F1 in 2005 (admittedly with either Jordan or Minardi!) so perhaps it is a good move to make.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 16:27 (Ref:1169962)   #50
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
These test may not unlock any doors in the short term, i don't believe thats is the idea. Even Ayrton didn't get an offer from Mclaren after his test. I think the point is to give the team an idea of an individuals potential at that time so that when and if he makes progress and they come across each other again, they can make a judgement on how much he/she may have learned/improved. Also the people in these teams all talk to each other and pass opinions on drivers they have been exposed to. So any benefit may be more in the medium term. One thing is for sure, all three drivers aquited themselves very well yesterday and the car was taken back in one piece