Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan ran with a blackened nose cone.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1351957)   #27
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Whilst it was a shame the minutes silence was poorly organised I don't think we need to go too over the top with the tributes. Without wanting to sound sick, this wasn't 9/11, we as Londoners have been here before and, no doubt, will be here again. The best way is to get on with things as usual - a minutes silence is fitting but I wouldn't expect teams to run without liveries, etc. And I certainly wouldn't expect the race to have been cancelled as I have heard some people say! That would have been ridiculous.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1351981)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzaf1
I think it was pretty obvious when the silence was as the crowds when quiet.
I was there not all the crowd was quiet. Lots of those sirens.

Shame there.

I haven't seen the driver bit yet (got to watch the Rugby first!). I suspect it is a minor point, I'll see!
Old 10 Jul 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1351986)   #29
SeaneyC
Racer

SeaneyC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To my ears all the airhorns started going off a minute after the silence started..... then confusion for about a minute as to whether the silence had actually started or not.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1351990)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
Is this even an issue? Is it relevant?
Yes

and

Yes.

IMO.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 20:02 (Ref:1352002)   #31
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mountain out of a molehill. I only saw Jacques comment something to Monteiro and smile a moment but then quickly returned to the "minute-of-silence face".

I wonder why did they do it in the grid - I remember Monza 2001 the minute being in the drivers parade, with much less people and activity going on the grid. Surely everyone would have noticed about when it started and finished? I don't care if it's on TV or not, you can always replay it on TV.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1352016)   #32
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it hugely disrespectful, to see Villeneuve with a beaming smile on his face, let alone chatting.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1352043)   #33
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_sykes
Jordan ran with a blackened nose cone.
Oh, I thought that was a new paint scheme!

I don't for a second think that any of those drivers would deliberately violate a one minutes silence, so I'll subscribe to the c*** up somewhere theory.

I was flicking between the LMES & the Grand Prix at the time, so didn't really notice it had started...evidently just as much as the drivers hadn't.

I'd be curious to see race attendees opinions of what happened, but in the end, I think we'll just find out it was just poorly orchestrated.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 21:02 (Ref:1352057)   #34
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another weekend, another FIA organisational mess-up. No disrespect intended by anybody IMO.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1352059)   #35
SeaneyC
Racer

SeaneyC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The drivers actions on the podium were suitably muted IMO today, which would lead me to believe that it was a comms error of some description whilst everyone was congregating on the grid.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1352076)   #36
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Ok, I was there and can tell you that during the minutes silence the whole circuit was quiet. There was an announceent made first thing today telling everyone when the minutes silence would be so there should not have been any misunderstanding!
Old 10 Jul 2005, 21:52 (Ref:1352084)   #37
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Darn it. The priest catcher has spoken...

Damn those ingrates to hell!

(By the way, I'm not being sarcastic...)
Old 10 Jul 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1352136)   #38
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Is this even an issue? Is it relevant? You can't force everyone to take in part in a minute's silence anyhow.
This is the bottom line of the matter. Judging peoples' morality is a rather messy task, as evidenced by the world we inhabit.

I guess, as seems to have been said in this thread, all one can say is, basically: "A pity it wasn't organised properly."

Nothing else you can do.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 06:43 (Ref:1352255)   #39
jb59892
Rookie

jb59892 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not going to place any blame on any one party or person. However, it was very noticable during the high lights programme that no drivers or team members were shown during the one minute silence, only track marshals and the fans.

In comparison, I also watched the MotoGP high lights from Laguna Seca. The whole minutes silence was shown and during that time it was almost exclusivly the riders and team member who were shown and there was absolute silence from every one.

I have only watched two races live this season (I used to watch all of them live even if it meant getting up at 3am), the US and British Grand Prix, and both of them have made me ashamed to be an F1 fan.

To all those in the sport (and just to let you know I have watched F1 for over 20 years now), the FIA, the FOM, the drivers, teams and sonsors; I've had it with F1. I'm going to find a sport where every one involved works together to give the fans what they want, entertainment and not petty arguments!
Old 11 Jul 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1352280)   #40
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is this even an issue? Is it relevant? You can't force everyone to take in part in a minute's silence anyhow.
You can't force people to participate in a silence, but if you deliberately talk through one it shows you are a classless buffoon. I'm no royalist, but i remember observing a minutes silence for the Queen Mum, simply because to break it would show a lack of dignity and respect.

The only qualm i have about criticising the drivers, is that they may not have known it had started.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 08:01 (Ref:1352287)   #41
Barbazza
Racer

Barbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBarbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was on the grid - we never heard any announcement of a minute's silence. You simply cannot hear any of the PA commentary down there, even if there is a rare moment when engines aren't revving and the crowd is very quiet. Have to say I had forgotten about the planned silence until I read this - on the grid I never noticed any obvious moment of quiet.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 08:20 (Ref:1352302)   #42
IL LEONE
Racer

United Kingdom
London
IL LEONE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this matter is being blown out of proportion. I'm sure that all the drivers, team members and people in the crowd are some what respectful to all those that incurred loss in the recent events in London. It is apparent that due to the lack of organization things went a little 'pair' shaped and it shouldn't be contested who or who isn't respectful to the issues.
With media coverage it is unfortunate that these things are highlighted. I really hope that there isn't an issue raised with this in the media today.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1352315)   #43
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Whilst it was a shame the minutes silence was poorly organised I don't think we need to go too over the top with the tributes. Without wanting to sound sick, this wasn't 9/11, we as Londoners have been here before and, no doubt, will be here again. The best way is to get on with things as usual - a minutes silence is fitting but I wouldn't expect teams to run without liveries, etc. And I certainly wouldn't expect the race to have been cancelled as I have heard some people say! That would have been ridiculous.
Agree 100%, as a side issue will there be a minutes silence at sporting events around the western world for the estimated 200 that died on the same day when a ferry sank?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4670877.stm
or maybe the 20 miners that died in mine in china.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4670575.stm

I doubt it, but can't think of a reason why.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 09:02 (Ref:1352339)   #44
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I think, to be fair, there was no announcement about when the silence was over, which led to a lot of awkwardness.
As it happens, there was an announcement. We heard it where we were, so i'm sure the drivers did as well with all those tannoy's along the start/finish straight.

I have to say though, not that i timed it or whatever, but it did seem a very long minute.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 09:39 (Ref:1352377)   #45
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Well, if they can't organise a one minute zip lip...what chance did they ever have of sorting out the Indy tyre issue
Why should the organisers ot the race at Silverstone try to sort out the Indy tyre issu?
Old 11 Jul 2005, 09:43 (Ref:1352379)   #46
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mark's right about the grid and PA systems you do not hear any announcements when you are on the grid or (at Silverstone) in the pit lane, it was very difficult to know when the silence started or finished.

Personally I don't think that it's the right time to do the minutes silence at that stage before the race - they drivers, mechanics etc. all preoccupied with what they are doing and what they are going to do and I'd rather see it done at another time rather than just before the drivers are going to get into their cars.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 11:16 (Ref:1352436)   #47
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My recollection is that it was Max and some Government minister who started chatting first after about thirty seconds - nothing like setting a good example chaps.....
Old 11 Jul 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1352468)   #48
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From my viewpoint circuit commentator Ian Titchmarsh ( his 30th British GP commentary BTW), announced the minute silence and it could just be heard on the grid and pits from the trackside speakers due to the air horns. You could hear him say 'thankyou everybody' at the end clear enough.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1352480)   #49
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
As it happens, there was an announcement. We heard it where we were, so i'm sure the drivers did as well with all those tannoy's along the start/finish straight.
Agree with Mr V - we were a few seats in front. There were plenty of air horns as the anthem finished before they could get a chance to communicate the silence. But they did - on a tiny speaker in front of us - and we all heard.

The place was quiet and while we stood respectfully for those who also work in London who were blown to smithereens last week, the big screen showed a number on the grid chatting and nudging each other.

It didn't look good.

In some ways ITV were also to blame for cutting to those images - I think if that wewre going on, the Director should have kept images 'on air' that were appropriate.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1352528)   #50
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The trackside speakers all face inwards. When you are in the pit lane or on the grid with the noise from the grandstands and the noise from the pit lane believe me you cannot hear the pa system!