Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Closed Thread

Old 22 Mar 2010, 19:09 (Ref:2658019)   #476
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hoped Vlado to stay @ Rapax & to be paired w/ someone experienced & fast, exactly as Parente... Still it's good, James Robinson will be their engineer.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2658043)   #477
sauber11
Racer

Russian Federation
sauber11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=26696&cat=4
Maldonado at Le Castellet with Rapax

Exactly what i thought about 2-3 month ago , when Pastor said that he has gp2 seat secured for him. My thought was between Piquet\Rapax and ART.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 20:15 (Ref:2658092)   #478
Robbe
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Robbe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maldonado / Razia is not a bad pairing. Probably better than Super Nova, Coloni and Ocean.

Cecotto at Trident is also a massive improvement over Teixeira and Kralev. So 3 places are left? I'd predict for Ricci at DPR, Gonzalez at Trident and Villa at Arden.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 22:57 (Ref:2658254)   #479
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ricci did great things for DPR this Asia season. He deserves the seat.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 07:10 (Ref:2658393)   #480
Fujer
Rookie

Sweden
Fujer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any live timing from todays testing?
Old 23 Mar 2010, 10:29 (Ref:2658481)   #481
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No LT mate.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 13:14 (Ref:2658579)   #482
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbe View Post
Maldonado / Razia is not a bad pairing. Probably better than Super Nova, Coloni and Ocean.
Both Maldonado and Razia were confirmed at Rapax for 2010 GP2 Main Series, secondo Italiaracing.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 13:56 (Ref:2658599)   #483
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Live from Dani Clos:
http://twitter.com/daniclos
Old 23 Mar 2010, 17:09 (Ref:2658713)   #484
Shaddix
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Shaddix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maldonado topped the GP2 test today

results
Old 23 Mar 2010, 18:40 (Ref:2658781)   #485
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Even though, I still have no doubt that FR3.5S with SG Formula would better suit him, there is no way he'll be title conternder with Rapax.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 21:50 (Ref:2658898)   #486
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
Even though, I still have no doubt that FR3.5S with SG Formula would better suit him, there is no way he'll be title conternder with Rapax.
I too would be very surprised, unless there's some top line race engineer signed up that would help!

He had his big chance last year with ART and frankly didn't make the most of it, regardless of how good Hulkenberg is supposed to be.

The best he can hope for is to be in the hunt for wins here and there and keep himself race ready for a back door F1 drive next year.

Last edited by chunterer; 24 Mar 2010 at 11:42.
Old 24 Mar 2010, 00:07 (Ref:2658959)   #487
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
He won't be a title contender with anyone, he was with ART last year. Results speak for themselves. He would be great in Indycars though, considering all the street courses they visit.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 08:10 (Ref:2659655)   #488
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Queen is dead, long live the Queen! The reign of GP2/05 the antechamber of the Formula 1 lasted 6 years. Double the life expectancy of a modern car of the early 3rd millennium. The GP2/05 delivered his last battle in the desert of Bahrain and will give way to GP2/11. With what success? Good blood can not lie! For Automoto365 the GP2 technical director Didier Perrin, decodes the DNA of the GP2/05 and its descendants.

The first car was the GP2 car over a laboratory, a true success that has lasted 6 years. Did you expect such a life?

We hoped but was not sure! We did not want to relive the races that give processions as F3000. I think we succeeded and it is to the credit of this car that was actually a success was not guaranteed the first year of the championship.

You must have had a twinge in my heart on seeing the eldest of your cars GP2 put away ...

Seeing from the car I was torn between two feelings: the cars racing age quickly and it was designed 6 years ago, seemed antediluvian. On one hand I was so happy to draw a line under the GP2/05 because it was more up to date, with the other she put us on track. It was the tool we needed to prepare young drivers in F1 and it has offered exciting racing. When we started the GP2, we started with a blank page and we suffered a few casts. It hurt my heart to see this car pull a few teething problems, but it is full of history!

What are the key technical lessons you learned from GP2/05?

First the GP2/05 confirmed our position. It was a gamble. We had to choose a number of parameters, namely a large-displacement engine for the cv Cheap and consistency of performance of a car to another. It is easier to design a package reliable, consistent and inexpensive with a smaller engine. The choice of architecture and the displacement we have therefore strengthened in our analysis. Secondly, we had the challenge of a car in ground effect while it was not too fashionable. But to have races where there are exceedances must come to the airport much of the ground effect. Thirdly, we had set a specification to Dallara for a wide range of operations and settings, particularly as regards the ride height.

In order to allow each driver and team to adapt the car to his style and not be forced to melt in the mold of the car?

Exactly. We do not want a car with a single set-up would be optimum, it would have been boring races because the cars were fast at the same time under the same conditions. Whoever would lead the party would never have joined. The GP2/05 had the great merit of reinforcing our choice.

What were the weaknesses of this car?

Initially, we had a lot of brake problems, but they were quickly resolved. And then there were reliability problems of the gearbox, which lasted some time. The crux of the problem was that the couple is to spend a huge 600cv engine running at 10,000 rpm and it takes a value higher than that of F1. Moreover, the first pilot who helped develop the GP2/05 Franck Montagny was Renault F1 driver at the time and out of the car he told us' That pushes this thing! ". We were happy ... When Michael Schumacher drove the GP2 recently, he had the same comment on the engine! He described a motor round and full, full of couples. It's nice!

To return to the original question, there were only some minor weaknesses. For example, implantation of mechanical powertrain was not as clean as it is on the GP2/08.

Having attended many races the first year of GP2 I remember that the pilots had great difficulty controlling the starting system which has claimed many victims ...

Yes, we've done our mea culpa ... a fundamental mistake was to try bard's car security modes. They were too numerous and they are triggered unnecessarily, especially at the outset is a crucial stage of the race for mechanics. Our intention was to preserve the engine and it was therefore calibrated ranges of use - temperature, pressure - to prevent the motors do not cost too much to the stables. But it was very difficult to be in the range of allowable operating: once the pressure was slightly too low, once it was the temperature.

What's new in the specification of GP2/11 that does not contain one of the GP2/05 and GP2/08?

The biggest difference was between 05 and 08. The 05 has validated the basic concept, the 08 was put in a proper concept. Regarding the 011, the objective is to follow the same philosophy: the self must be tailored to the pilot and the show. It must be difficult to drive and resolve, but it must allow overtaking. In passing from 08 to 11 will aim to follow the evolution of the F1 to better prepare pilots to home in F1. Aerodynamics is closer to that of F1 and will continue to improve weight distribution. Nothing as spectacular as what we saw on the 08, but these small adjustments put together are essential for further progress.

The evolution of F1 drives engineers to invent multiple presenters, fins, drifts ...

No, GP2/11 have the look of a purified F1. We do not want to put the slippery slope of expensive options. By cons, some freedom is permitted in relation to F1 as we can begin our diverging effect of soil over in front of the rear axle. The beauty of GP2 is that we can have aerodynamic characteristics very similar to those of F1, but is cheaper!

The F1 could learn from GP2 ...

It's not for me to say. But we can simply note that it has slick tires before F1, F1 has removed the pit stops and pit stops not only to change tires as GP2. It also showed that having 2 races and a reverse grid for the second were good solutions for a quality show.

The GP2 is in an economic context, modern sports and takes care of his image and his flock by reducing its costs. This restriction makes it an obstacle to the development of an ideal machine?

Not since the cost must be taken into account when designing the project. It does not make a cheap car, but to provide a global system of exploitation that is not expensive. Let the car can be operated with reduced staff otherwise it costs us more in charge of operations at year end. We must think about the concept in its entirety and then lean to the latest news, then fight against that cost money. It is not just the car but all the parameters needed for the roll. Finally, we are only 6 seconds of an F1 car ...

The GP2 is proud to be the series closest to F1. The GP2/11 integrate Does concepts of environmental conservation as the F1 did and as it will again, probably in 2011?

We keep an eye on it ... without betraying any, with the GP2/11 attempts to establish trends to have more opportunities to make eco-friendly. I will say no more. It prepares the future, this may be feasible for the next generation, but it is still too early to GP2 100% environmentally responsible and economically reasonable ... it must be viable! So far we have not reached the point of balance where it is economically viable, but we prepare for some changes.

When will we turn GP2/11 for the first time?

It should be made to fall and roll very soon, within a few months.

Do we know who will be responsible for its development on track?

Not yet.

What life do you give the GP2/11?

In theory it leaves for 3 years GP2 Main Series ... and more if affinity. But in general we draw a car for one cycle of 3 years.

http://f1.automoto365.com/news/contr...&news_id=39833
Old 25 Mar 2010, 10:14 (Ref:2659714)   #489
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Babelfish?

It always worries me when they mention "F1 inspired" in relation to new cars. It's as if they don't understand what makes the series work - namely, a car that can actually race.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 12:44 (Ref:2659782)   #490
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
It always worries me when they mention "F1 inspired" in relation to new cars. It's as if they don't understand what makes the series work - namely, a car that can actually race.
I hope (as much others) that the new car would be inspired in the philosophy of the GP2/05, albeit in an F1 car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf1 Fan View Post
Do we know who will be responsible for its development on track?
They should call José MarÃ*a López as GP2/11 developer tester. I'm sure he will do a good job with it.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 12:51 (Ref:2659787)   #491
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Absolutely. The GP2/05 was much loved for the great racing it produced thanks to not being an F1 clone, and then they went and cocked things up with the GP2/08. Hearing rumours the GP2/11 will be very similar to Dallara's HRT F1 car just fills me with dread. Maybe Bernie wasn't happy that GP2 was actually entertaining the viewers where F1 fails 90% of the time.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 22:57 (Ref:2660138)   #492
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
What would be the point of basing it on the HRT? That car was the 2nd worst of a bunch of new teams making debuts over the past 15 years according to F1 Racing, beating only the dreadful Lola of 1997, basing the stats on the 107% rule. Hispania was slower in comparison to Forti and Simtek. They should base the next GP2 car on the GP2/05, or just use it!
Old 26 Mar 2010, 09:25 (Ref:2660285)   #493
Shaddix
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Shaddix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
come on...
they had no testing
it's not the car its fault

Dallara did a pretty good job on the car I think, it's shown by how their times have improved in FP in Melbourne

Dallara builds both the HRT and GP2 car, so I think they have a pretty good point if they want to base their GP2 car on the HRT one

it would also be a way to test new parts without breaking the F1 testing rules

I agree the new car should be more like the 05 car, but it would be logical if Dallara based their chassis on the HRT car
Old 26 Mar 2010, 10:23 (Ref:2660306)   #494
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post
They should base the next GP2 car on the GP2/05, or just use it!
Double that, they've got a running chassis, can the 08 and come back to (updated or not) GP2/05.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2660431)   #495
Spudy
Racer

Spudy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
I hope (as much others) that the new car would be inspired in the philosophy of the GP2/05, albeit in an F1 car...

They should call José MarÃ*a López as GP2/11 developer tester. I'm sure he will do a good job with it.
I have to disagree with that statement. He really doesn't have an amazing track record in single seaters and he has been out of one for a long time. I would like to see Adam Carroll.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 16:45 (Ref:2660517)   #496
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudy View Post
I have to disagree with that statement. He really doesn't have an amazing track record in single seaters and he has been out of one for a long time. I would like to see Adam Carroll.
I was just to say the same. Adam is a solid, experienced driver who makes few mistakes, and he won't have to leg it between Ricard and touring cars in Argentina every other week.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 14:47 (Ref:2661046)   #497
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Come on, Jose Maria Lopez would be fine to be the development tester. He's solid and quick enough, did a good job with Renault. Likewise Carroll would be good too. They did use Olivier Pla as the developer, if he can do it, Jose can.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 17:04 (Ref:2661093)   #498
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Can't see why Lopez couldn't do it but Pla would be even better, he never quite achieved what he should've at this level I thought.

What's he upto at the mo, he'd be another good addition to the Superleague ranks imo?
Old 27 Mar 2010, 18:23 (Ref:2661128)   #499
Robbe
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Robbe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
What's he upto at the mo, he'd be another good addition to the Superleague ranks imo?
He's the reigning Le Mans Series LMP2 champion together with Miguel Amaral in a Zytek from Quifel-ASM.

I think Grosjean and Pantano would be good developers for the new car.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 19:00 (Ref:2661165)   #500
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbe View Post
He's the reigning Le Mans Series LMP2 champion together with Miguel Amaral in a Zytek from Quifel-ASM.

I think Grosjean and Pantano would be good developers for the new car.
Ah, I thought i'd seen his name somewhere like that but not as recently!!

Grosjean appears to be just doing FIA GT so he might as well put his name forward for the role and Pantano has bags of the right sort of experience yes.

Tags
dallara, gp2, gp2 2010, gp2 asia, silly season