Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 1 Aug 2011, 07:31 (Ref:2934328)   #501
vkleita
Rookie

United Kingdom
vkleita should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A sad, sad day

I can't afford to pay extra for Sky

Ho hum
Old 1 Aug 2011, 10:58 (Ref:2934416)   #502
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
Ha ha, a petition to keep F1 on the BBC and the only adverts on there are for Sky
Old 1 Aug 2011, 11:22 (Ref:2934431)   #503
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
how many people will they lose who just switch on to watch the first few laps, i wont be paying, even though im a devoted fan, this will mean that when the tv rights cease after 2018? it will definately go to itv and will probably stay there for a long time after. the bbc took on the deal till 2018 not give it up after 3 years, and as someone i was talking to said 10 mil viewers what show gets that? they have made a gravely wrong decision, i hope part of their market research if theyve not satisfied themselves before the deal they view this thread... then theyll get the real picture of what real people think
Old 1 Aug 2011, 11:27 (Ref:2934432)   #504
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424 View Post
I dont think i can add much to this thread and most points have been covered.
It is sad that its going to Sky and i wont subscribe.
I dont live in the dark ages but I have never felt the need to pay for Sky.
I have a dish and box and watch the free channels so last year i got nascar, this year not, ho hum.
My tv is 15 years old, when it breaks I will replace it.
My point is I will move on and will do what i do now, watch the races when i catch them.
The only people whos blood pressure is rising is die hard must watch it live fans.
By the way Bernie should walk away.
im not sure bernie has too much to do with it anyway, he might have wanted the practices aired, its between the tv channels. but we may all be wrong and because he's such a power hunger money grabbing troll, he may have been behind the scenes and maybe forced the deal for just that.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2934440)   #505
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
im not sure bernie has too much to do with it anyway, he might have wanted the practices aired, its between the tv channels. but we may all be wrong and because he's such a power hunger money grabbing troll, he may have been behind the scenes and maybe forced the deal for just that.
Bernie not too much to do with it??

I very much doubt it after all the bbc only had a couple of years left on their original contract.

It will be interesting to see if the teams change their view when their sponsors start getting nervous.
Once Bernie starts getting rid of more FTA stations maybe things might start to change.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 11:46 (Ref:2934444)   #506
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think what's annoying me the most is the patronising tone most journalists who write opinion based editorials are taking.

yes, i'm aware that it could well be a massive step forward in content and approach, that we could well not really notice a difference in full tape delayed races, and that pay tv is probably the way forward for many sports.

this is not horse racing, or boxing where there are just single events. nor is it football, where going to a premier league or championship football match doesn't tend to involve thousand mile round trips and 3 days worth of attendance plus accomodation. it is a worldwide championship, where the only people who go to every race are those who work in it. a f1 season ticket for spectators isn't an option.

on that basis, expecting many people to go from paying just the licence fee to facing an upgrade to sky for a maximum of £600 and a minimum of £150 extra (additional to subscribe to sky sports if you don't already) a year for half the races to maintain live coverage is a bit rude. of course, there's many sports enthusiasts with sky sports already and for them the change wouldn't cost them anything (unless sky were to make it a seperate cost... entirely possible).

the attitude that the uk based fans should take one for the team, man up and either have half the races tape delayed or get a dish tacked onto the side of their house (not always possible if you're a tenant, i might add) is just not one we're going to empathise with.

of course we need to wait and see what sort of pricing structure sky offers up - maybe they'll offer it as an extra that doesn't require the sky sports package, or perhaps look at supplying hd coverage on freeview for a subscription.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 12:00 (Ref:2934457)   #507
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
With all the people giving up on F1 after this season, it's gonna be awfully quiet on the board!
Old 1 Aug 2011, 12:30 (Ref:2934485)   #508
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't watched this weekends race yet, but I did see part of the build up and I couldn't help but have an overwhelming feeling of sadness. F1 has been a major part of my live for over 30 years and from next year it will be no more.

I also feel right royally betrayed by Bernie and to a lesser extent FOTA or more specifically the UK teams (I'm sure the others aren't as bothered). If I re call correctly both Bernie and Martin Whitmarsh have recently said that FTA was vital to their coverage in the UK and they would not allow it to go onto pay TV. The deal that has been struck will not have come together overnight, so while Bernie was telling us that he was already talking to Sky. He could have easily kept it FTA by either reducing his price with the BBC or striking a deal with C5 or maybe C4. But Sky were no doubt willing to pay his price.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 13:00 (Ref:2934495)   #509
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post

more specifically the UK teams (I'm sure the others aren't as bothered).
From what i can gather, the teams didn't know anything about the deal either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
or striking a deal with C5 or maybe C4.
Do you really want to go back to watching races with advert breaks in them? I certainly don't, i'd rather pay Sky, who won't have breaks during the races.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2934497)   #510
Quodra
Rookie

Quodra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well just think how much time this deal is going to free up at weekends (as i am not gonna watch sky!!) maybe i will get out more to watch some real racing!!
Old 1 Aug 2011, 13:08 (Ref:2934498)   #511
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
It won't matter, though. You could get a quarter of the viewers that is currently expected on Sky and they'll still do well out of it. The only way it could go wrong is if only one man and his dog watches, which isn't going to happen - F1 fans are far too loyal

We've had it far too cushy with F1 for a long time. Look at every other sport. Football went largely to Sky in the early 90s. Golf and tennis is very much split between Sky and the BBC like F1 now. Cricket is all live on Sky with highlights on the BBC or Channel Five. They're all split in the same way as F1 will be

F1 is the only one that currently has all its events broadcast on 1 FTA channel, and has been for years - it's unusual in the sporting world for that to be the case. So 1) it was inevitable that F1 would go to a subscription channel at some point and 2) it's only following all the other sports, who realised years ago that you can make more money if you have 2 or more TV channels paying a quite a bit instead of 1 paying a lot

For a sports championship to have some events on one channel and some on another one is not unusual. In fact, it's pretty much standard. F1 is catching up, not falling behind
Understand your logic Jab, still can't say I like it. Just because many other top sports have done this, it's not automatically the right thing to do. Irrespective of class or not, sport is sport and there is precious little of it aired live, free-to-view, so I consider seeing F1 go this way a grave and sad loss.

My first reaction was one of immediate anger and disappointment but now its been a few days and the dust has settled, I'm still angry and disappointed.

So next year and hopefully seasons beyond, the BBC will show half the races live and the rest as extended recorded highlights. If that is what the situation is, then fine. I'll watch what the BBC show, when they show it.

But that is not my real gripe. I wonder will the BBC stick to their plans right up to and including 2018, or will they drop a few races here and there over the next few years, eventually giving SKY the lot. That is what I'm afraid of.

P

Last edited by Lotusonpole; 1 Aug 2011 at 13:14.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 13:17 (Ref:2934504)   #512
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you want to watch all the Grands Prix live next year, you will need to pay Bernie via his 'agent' Rupert Murdoch. Oh and you'll also have to pay Bernie a second time. Bernie levies a tax on every TV owner here in the UK... via his other 'agent', the BBC. So you will be paying Bernie and least once... and could be paying him twice in 2012.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 13:58 (Ref:2934523)   #513
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
If you want to watch all the Grands Prix live next year, you will need to pay Bernie via his 'agent' Rupert Murdoch. Oh and you'll also have to pay Bernie a second time. Bernie levies a tax on every TV owner here in the UK... via his other 'agent', the BBC. So you will be paying Bernie and least once... and could be paying him twice in 2012.
I think that's the jist of it Davyboy.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 14:48 (Ref:2934545)   #514
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Time to put in that work transfer to Antigua.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 15:15 (Ref:2934553)   #515
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think i might use my computer for ten races next year and of course the BBC races live so i will still be around watching F1 so when it is a Sky only race feel free to pm me with a link.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 16:11 (Ref:2934577)   #516
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the end of the day Sky is a business with shareholders and they have to satisfy their shareholders (Murdoch being one owning 39.1%). They saw this deal as a way of doing that.

As the BBC were looking to get rid of F1 as they said they could not justify it at the cost it was, we are lucky we have got it on british TV at all. ITV, C4 and C5 would certainly not have bought the rights.

It's not ideal but at least we get coverage.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 16:14 (Ref:2934579)   #517
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will do. I have just bookmarked this page ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
I think i might use my computer for ten races next year and of course the BBC races live so i will still be around watching F1 so when it is a Sky only race feel free to pm me with a link.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 16:17 (Ref:2934580)   #518
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
From what i can gather, the teams didn't know anything about the deal either.

Do you really want to go back to watching races with advert breaks in them? I certainly don't, i'd rather pay Sky, who won't have breaks during the races.
Yes, I am quite sure the teams didn't know, but having said that FTA was vital, when the deal was announced they appear to have just caved in and said okay then.

No I don't want ad breaks, but not all of us can afford to pay for Sky Sports every month to watch 10 races a year, complete rip off! It should be pay per view for what you watch if it has to go onto Sky.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2934665)   #519
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quodra View Post
Well just think how much time this deal is going to free up at weekends (as i am not gonna watch sky!!) maybe i will get out more to watch some real racing!!
Great plan. Turn of the TV and do something less boring instead

Welcome to 10/10ths.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 19:34 (Ref:2934668)   #520
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
So if someone watches it on sky can they have a rebate on the licence fee?

At least the proportion on the licence fee used for the decedent 'sport' of F1 has reduced.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2934701)   #521
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
So if someone watches it on sky can they have a rebate on the licence fee?
Really ?
Old 1 Aug 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2934717)   #522
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
No, not really.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 23:24 (Ref:2934769)   #523
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I've come late to this, because I was away in Spa when the bombshell broke.

I'm not going to read all the posts, so forgive me if what I say has already been covered by someone else.

I think the BBC bit off more than it could chew (or afford) so some cutback was necessary.

I don't particularly mind the compromise that has come out of it, but I don't trust Sky to play fair. It worries me that one of their executives has already said that, if you want to watch all the races in HD live, then you have to be with Sky. I thought the Beeb was going to show half the races live in HD?
Old 2 Aug 2011, 00:36 (Ref:2934781)   #524
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
With all the people giving up on F1 after this season, it's gonna be awfully quiet on the board!

I doubt it very much..
Old 2 Aug 2011, 06:54 (Ref:2934847)   #525
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I've come late to this, because I was away in Spa when the bombshell broke.

I'm not going to read all the posts, so forgive me if what I say has already been covered by someone else.

I think the BBC bit off more than it could chew (or afford) so some cutback was necessary.

I don't particularly mind the compromise that has come out of it, but I don't trust Sky to play fair. It worries me that one of their executives has already said that, if you want to watch all the races in HD live, then you have to be with Sky. I thought the Beeb was going to show half the races live in HD?
Technically he's correct.

If you want to watch ALL the races, you'll need sky to see the 10 that the BBC don't show.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky