Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 21 Jun 2013, 10:31 (Ref:3266000)   #501
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can they turn up with something to actually race competitively against existing descent opposition? I like the garage 56 concept, but make it something that is a realistic competitor instead of these science experiments/PR exercises. I tuned in to the YouTube Nismo channel hoping for something worthwhile but then was extremely deflated with the result. It's groundhog day.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 10:34 (Ref:3266001)   #502
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
It has been suggested that Nissan would swap the complete battery pack.

So the future of green endurance racing is to have a container of batteries for every car
Welcome to greenwashing.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 10:38 (Ref:3266002)   #503
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Blah blah, anti-nissan rant is all I see from your posts. They spoke of returning to lmp1 to win LeMans overall. You can't win without entering. Manufacturers don't just say they will return to win overall for "buzzword bullcrap".
Yes, they do.

Porsche said they'll return in 2014, Toyota announced their 2012 return etc.

It is that simple...none of these PR shenanigans are actually needed... Nissan is trying to build a reputation based on what they might do in the future..or not. It's ridiculous and the media should expose it for what it is imo.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 10:53 (Ref:3266009)   #504
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry but this guy publish this design a few months back - http://www.aliasguy.com/DW-LM-2014/index.html -

Is he Ben Bowlby or the actual Deltawing Coupe creator????????

Well, they made this presentation for the fans and with fans ... bla bla bla, but the feeling i have is that the fans are very disapointed.

Nissan are plaiyng a dangerus game IMO. The fans won´t gave them much more credits in future presentation´s.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 10:57 (Ref:3266011)   #505
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of fans on here seem to feel like manufacturers owe them an entry. Nissan can do what they want. I'd rather see them enter something than enter nothing. I find it exciting that this will be a full electric drivetrain. I'd imagine they'll replace the batteries during the race (though it certainly isn't very green), it's no different to refueling. If they could create some alternative form of energy recovering/refueling for the battery packs it would be very interesting for the road car market.

It's been mooted for a while that this would be about the powertrain, so why shouldn't they use an existing chassis? Heck, some of the posters on here suggested that they may use an Oreca, or a Lola, or any other third-party chassis. How is that any different to using the Delta Wing? If anything, this at least suggests they have invested a little bit more into the concept than the purely marketing-driven effort of last year.

Nissan will go into LMP1 when they feel they'll be competitive using the technology they want, on a budget they can spend. No amount of *****ing and moaning is going to change that.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 11:11 (Ref:3266014)   #506
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Saw the launch from the front row. A bit underwhelming. Not seen any of the PR yet but need to apologise to user deltawing who was right about the form of the car.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 11:26 (Ref:3266017)   #507
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Saw the launch from the front row. A bit underwhelming. Not seen any of the PR yet but need to apologise to user deltawing who was right about the form of the car.
You are the last person on this forum who needs to apologize.... We are all very passionate and sometimes passion clouds our judgement. Everyone can be wrong and we all know very little anyway (in the big scale of things). Thumbs up to you for being a very polite person!
Old 21 Jun 2013, 11:32 (Ref:3266018)   #508
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Back in February there were articles here and here about Nissan departing from the Deltawing project. I seem to also remember talk about the coupes that were in build were for Nissan at that time. I can't find that story, but it appears to have been true

Also, don't forget this was already seen:
http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-16620.html

Last edited by joeb; 21 Jun 2013 at 11:42.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3266023)   #509
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Another Delta Wing. Ok... Can`t wake up from this bad dream. Next thing you know they`ll be DP`s there too.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 12:08 (Ref:3266030)   #510
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First off Delta wing was right. Secondly I'm not too surprised. Thirdly I don't like it. Lastly I will pull for it because I believe that this time around that it is in the true spirit of G56 and truly hope that with it's success that a full lmp1 program will result.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 12:44 (Ref:3266051)   #511
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least i don't see nissan failing miserably like this year GreentarriedGT, better factory involvements if U are not sure of people's implication.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3266064)   #512
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
WHAAAT? Even I, although very tired of their BS, did't expect them to be THIS cynical. What are they going to prove using a new type of drivetrain in a freak chassis?! That defeats the whole point.

Also I expect they were allowed to swap batteries. Can't see it going 24h on one pack.

Not only am I disappointed, I'd say angry is the better word.

Last edited by Pandamasque; 21 Jun 2013 at 13:28.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 13:46 (Ref:3266072)   #513
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post

Yup, Nissan's efforts really have gone the wrong way on me. I used to like them but I'm slowly developing quite the disdain for their brand and PR nonsense.

Great job..
Old 21 Jun 2013, 14:30 (Ref:3266085)   #514
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Yup, Nissan's efforts really have gone the wrong way on me. I used to like them but I'm slowly developing quite the disdain for their brand and PR nonsense.

Great job..
Well, that's their strategy, Darren made no bones about it, minimal investment for maximum return. P2 and G56 were targets no suprise
Old 21 Jun 2013, 15:24 (Ref:3266113)   #515
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Blah blah, anti-nissan rant is all I see from your posts. They spoke of returning to lmp1 to win LeMans overall. You can't win without entering. Manufacturers don't just say they will return to win overall for "buzzword bullcrap".
...and yet back around 13-16 June, claiming "logic," you were posting Nissan was done with the DW, Nissan would have nothing to do with it, Nissan has abondoned all electric, blahblahblah...

I'm not waiting for you to predict the weather.

Last edited by Breitling24; 21 Jun 2013 at 15:34.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 21 Jun 2013, 15:29 (Ref:3266118)   #516
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Another Delta Wing. Ok... Can`t wake up from this bad dream. Next thing you know they`ll be DP`s there too.
...and Jim France waving the start flag.

Oh, crap!!!

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 21 Jun 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3266122)   #517
optica
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
optica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridoptica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridoptica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
WHAAAT? Even I, although very tired of their BS, did't expect them to be THIS cynical. What are they going to prove using a new type of drivetrain in a freak chassis?! That defeats the whole point.

Also I expect they were allowed to swap batteries. Can't see it going 24h on one pack.

What is cynical about what they are doing, what point is being defeated?
When it was known that Ben Bowlby was designing the car it was obvious that it would be a fresh iteration of the Deltawing. Why would Bowlby or Nissan abandon a concept that they were able to prove worked very well especially at Petit Le Mans last year (much to the annoyance of all the die-hard Deltaphobes no doubt). It is obvious there is still much potential left in the design so why abandon it to build something else when Garage 56 allows a free-hand to developing new ideas?
Old 21 Jun 2013, 15:58 (Ref:3266127)   #518
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
****ing idiot attention whore morons. they make fools out of the aco and make g56 a joke. and there is talk about these *******s wanting to return to lmp1? what the ****...
Old 21 Jun 2013, 16:08 (Ref:3266135)   #519
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by optica View Post
When it was known that Ben Bowlby was designing the car it was obvious that it would be a fresh iteration of the Deltawing.
So Bowlby is an engineer that can only design Deltawing shape cars?

We were all hoping that he would design a (legal) 2014 LMP1 chassis with an (illegal) all-electric drive train.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 16:28 (Ref:3266143)   #520
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
1969MGCGTdriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Say what you want, but these kinds of things are letting the non-motorsport world know about the sport we love. And that, my friends, IS a good thing.

Here's a link from Engadget this morning:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/21/n...paign=Engadget

Here's another from Wired:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/06/nissan-zeod-rc/
Old 21 Jun 2013, 16:33 (Ref:3266145)   #521
optica
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
optica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridoptica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridoptica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
So Bowlby is an engineer that can only design Deltawing shape cars?

We were all hoping that he would design a (legal) 2014 LMP1 chassis with an (illegal) all-electric drive train.
They must have other engineers capable of designing what you were hoping for so why employ Bowlby if this wasn't what they intended.
"We were all" !!!!....who are you speaking for?
There are actually people reading this forum who quite like to see radical concepts being developed to their full potential and appreciate the opportunity Garage 56 offers.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 16:37 (Ref:3266148)   #522
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969MGCGTdriver View Post
Say what you want, but these kinds of things are letting the non-motorsport world know about the sport we love. And that, my friends, IS a good thing.

The problem is that Nissan does not deserve this kind of recognition imo, not until they decide to enter the event properly..with all the risks involved.

Last year the Deltawing got as much attention as Audi & Toyota in the mainstream media which is absurd.

They have found a very clever way to sneak PR off the event that they don't deserve and it's frustrating me. You want LMP1-type exposure? Then build a LMP1 and go racing...with all the risks that come with it.

The ACO should close the G56 loophole imo. If you want to be on the grid at Le Mans, build a car that meets the rules - It's that simple.

I don't buy the "This is needed to attract new manufacturers" argument either. I didn't see Audi, Toyota, Porsche or Peugeot field an illegal car before they committed to LMP1...they just did. It's just Nissan that is supposedly unable to and it is starting to get really tiring.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 16:40 (Ref:3266150)   #523
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969MGCGTdriver View Post

Very amused by some of the comments made at the end of the first article there. Its like the whole Delta Wing thing never happened...
Old 21 Jun 2013, 16:42 (Ref:3266151)   #524
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I am not happy that this was the big "reveal" for G56 by Nissan for 2014, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I believe that the only thing that will make this defendable for Nissan is if this DW Coupe can run with the LMP1 Audis, Toyotas and Porsches next year for at least a few hours and make it look like this technology is competitive. Next year, this DW technology will have been in competitive racing for 3 years and we should be getting a car that can compete with the big boys. If it is only running with the LMP2s, then why bother. I'm willing to curb my criticism until next year to see what actually turns up at the track.

DK
Old 21 Jun 2013, 16:49 (Ref:3266153)   #525
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It follows on the theme of pretty much every Nissan announcement in the last few years. My reaction goes from anger, to disappointment, to acceptance and finally I end up supporting it.

Struggling to see how I'll make it to the final step this time but I'm sure I will come next year. Hopefully no one will peel the headlight stickers off it in the village tonight.