Old 22 Sep 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2295542)   #526
Racing Babe
Rookie

Wales
Cardiff
Racing Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
Well, I'd like to thank everyone that had to stick up with me being on post at Copse.

We had some busy times, some quiet times, some very surreal times and some memory's that we will certainly 'clutch' to.

Big thanks to all of our crew especially Fran for keeping us supplied during the busy shift from 0430 to 0830.

Also thanks to the driver of MG 73 for doing every thing we asked as we snatached it from Copse exit. It would have been pretty simple in the day time, but trying to get the attention of Gary in the pitch black wasn't as simple as I'd thought. Especially when we hadn't got a signal. heh heh.
Hi Robin,

The entertainment certainly kept us goin especially "DJ king Arthur of the round tables" in his Ibiza booth - just a shame he couldn't pump up the volume, wud've been intriging to hear choice of tunes and his mixin.

Any way it was great to meet and work with you all.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 19:14 (Ref:2295558)   #527
Foxy_Marshal
Rookie

Scotland
Scotland
Foxy_Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
howdy All,
Just wee note to say I really enjoyed my first britcar 24 hour!
I even enjoyed being on flags. Was nice to meet some of the names of this forum and I enjoyed the banter with everyone including the one and only 'Norma' from Croft
Hope your shoulder gets better soon
I will definetly prepare better for this race next year, i plan to sleep for three days before i come down :-D
Hope everyone had safe trips home
Foxy
Old 22 Sep 2008, 19:18 (Ref:2295561)   #528
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
Well, I'd like to thank everyone that had to stick up with me being on post at Copse.

We had some busy times, some quiet times, some very surreal times and some memory's that we will certainly 'clutch' to.

Big thanks to all of our crew especially Fran for keeping us supplied during the busy shift from 0430 to 0830.

Also thanks to the driver of MG 73 for doing every thing we asked as we snatached it from Copse exit. It would have been pretty simple in the day time, but trying to get the attention of Gary in the pitch black wasn't as simple as I'd thought. Especially when we hadn't got a signal. heh heh.
Robin,
Now lets set the record straight,
You had the perfect signal to commence the snatch.
But there was a slight problem..
You forgot to tell me it...

But we can all "Clutch" at straws

Rob does do a good " Baywatch in the tower impession"....
As good clive done the " I`m off duty being asleep impression"
Pics to prove...

Oh..
He was asleep & off duty

Forgot to mention Dj Arthur,was a pleasure to work with an Obs like him.
But we were lucky in having 4 I/O`s on post,making the change over and 2 hrs each on radio.

But he did come up with an idea to alert the flaggies at night.
good job we weren`t near the shore with arthur doing his night time impressions of a lighthouse
Old 22 Sep 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2295576)   #529
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a mixed three days at Brooklands. On the Friday I was on post during the morning then had to do the mad dash to Norwich to pick my son up which meant that we didn't get back on post till 8.45pm. Still managed to push a lotus out of the gravel under waved yellows which was good call by Bob (his name, not a phrase for Silverstone marshals!) the I.O. as I thought it would be a snatch.

Saturday and Sunday spent manning the pit wall by the refuelling bays so even though the cars on track were a far distance away we had the pit lane refuelling to keep us occupied. Sunday ended with two fires in the space of a minute. The first, a Mosler, was extinguished quite quickly and I was just about to congratulate my son Tom on his first live fire when the LM3000 rolled behind us engulfed in flames after doing his refuelling. Took a bit of a battle but the team got the fire out well and the driver escaped without injury. You wait 24 hours and two fires come along at once!

The down side was the drive home as i first had to drive to Norfolk to drop Tom off then get up to Preston. The trip was going well with an estimated head on pillow time of midnight when I came to a complete halt on the M6. After 3 hours of trying not to fall asleep the traffic wombles (AKA the Highways Agency) turned us around and took us off the motorway at junction 3. This meant a delayed head on pillow time of 2.50am! Been one hell of a struggle to stay awake at work today. Eventually found out tonight that the motorway had been shut due to someone running across 2 1/2 lanes of traffic, he didn't quite make the last 1/2 lane.

Thanks to all the guys I worked with over the weekend. Roll on 2009!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 22 Sep 2008, 20:28 (Ref:2295617)   #530
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow, what a weekend!! It was hugely enjoyable right from the start, and most of the racing was terrific. A special word of thanks to Paul Wilson and the entire Scottish crew who were very welcoming to both myself and Maurice, to Brian Cox and all the marshals at Stowe, to Alan Tyson (Alan, many thanks for going out of your way to check that I had received the overalls at the end of the 24hrs - it was very much appreciated), to Shelagh for the pies, and last but not least to James Tucker and team.

Roll on 2009...
Old 22 Sep 2008, 21:20 (Ref:2295646)   #531
Simes
Rookie

Simes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_08
Yeah, we had a great crew at Becketts inside, so I'd just like to say thankyou to them for making the weekend so good. Everyone was having fun, enjoying the racing and doing there jobs well when they were needed.
It was great to meet other Marshals from all over the country too and what can I say about the Oulton gang. We had an absolute blast all weekend. Thanks to Fazza for putting up the gazebo for us to use whilst having a few sherberts.
And thanks to our IO, Adrian for entrusting me with the radio etc whilst he took his well deserved breaks. That made it a much more immersive experience.
We were all gutted for the Clio driver and team, so close to the finish too. Overall it was a superb meeting and one I'll be doing again. And every driver waved or thumbed enthusiastically at the end which was the topping on the cake, very much appreciated.
Very much what Red said ...

oh and thanks for the loan of your gas bottle over the weekend - and the gas in it - ;-)
Old 22 Sep 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2295652)   #532
Dunc
Rookie

Scotland
Methil, Fife
Dunc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy_Marshal
the one and only 'Norma' from Croft
Hope your shoulder gets better soon
Hope everyone had safe trips home
Foxy
Ah how could we forget Norma what a character with a great sence of humour, Likes the steak dead not bleeding or going moo basicly cremated . I hope the arm gets better soon and keep up the medication but surely it would have been easier to just ask for the pitlane rather than injure the arm I certainly hope I can get down to Croft sometime MAN
Old 22 Sep 2008, 21:31 (Ref:2295654)   #533
Startline Ed
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Startline Ed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clunk or Zilly
Firstly, to the flag marshal on the outside of Woodcote whose hyperactive and emphatic double waved yellows to the cars at the rear of the grid meant that cars were slowing rapidly before entering the straight. An excellent job that prevented a serious secondary incident, well done mate, you should be proud of yourself !!

Lastly sincere thoughts & best wishes to Andy Neates & his family. I hope for a swift & full recovery.
Many thanks. The flaggie in question was Kev (posts on here as The STIG).
Old 22 Sep 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2295656)   #534
Dunc
Rookie

Scotland
Methil, Fife
Dunc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie
Wow, what a weekend!! It was hugely enjoyable right from the start, and most of the racing was terrific. A special word of thanks to Paul Wilson and the entire Scottish crew who were very welcoming to both myself and Maurice, to Brian Cox and all the marshals at Stowe
Roll on 2009...
I am sure I speak for all us certified Scots in saying you are more than welcome I thought it was very quiet at Stowe with the exception of the end of the 24Hr where we were chearing on Lupo our adopted car of the race. Might see you next year or might even see you sooner if you venture over to Knockhill.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2295665)   #535
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great weekend, long, but great. Fantastic crew on Becketts In, excelent oil dressing even with out warning of the parade whilst we were all in the middle of the track. The coffee through the night was most welcome. Thanks to Alan, Shelagh and their helpers with the lunches and pies. Thanks also to JT for the goodie bags and ovies, much appreciated. Have to echo the comments regarding Silverstones catering, some consistency in pricing would be nice, I had 5 piece breccy and coffee and they just took voucher, my daughter whyo was in probans had the same and she was asked for an extra 80p.

I will be back and hopefully the weather will as glorious as this year.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2295683)   #536
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simes
oh and thanks for the loan of your gas bottle over the weekend - and the gas in it - ;-)
You're welcome mate. Sorry that I then needed it back for me brew.

The coffees on post were a brilliant idea too.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 22:14 (Ref:2295691)   #537
iain6594
Rookie

United Kingdom
Manchester
iain6594 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this was my first britcar and im defo comeing back next year i was at brooklands between the fuel lane and pit entrance we had few cars off into gravel and two fires at once in the final hr of the race.
thanks to everyone i was marshalling with over the weekend .
Old 23 Sep 2008, 02:35 (Ref:2295754)   #538
THE DRUID
Rookie

United Kingdom
reddish
THE DRUID should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

thanks to all the guys, and girls , that no one remembered to thank, at becketts, thanks to red_08 for stickin with me all the way as a new b, tho shame we only heard the sc to wake us up around 2ish, cause the golf lost a wheel, lockal joke, big up for all the marshals, dont forget the bar staff that just about let us have a drink before 6 lol
Old 23 Sep 2008, 02:47 (Ref:2295758)   #539
THE DRUID
Rookie

United Kingdom
reddish
THE DRUID should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh i forgot to say a big thank you to the people who all helped me with stuff ie gluvs an tea coffe an pies, was my first 24 or should i say 72hrs, heads still spinnin just like the beatle 63 at becks, still got that bit from the alfa gear box if he wants it. but it wont stop a 4th 2 1st gear change, or the work we had to do with tvrs goin round on a jolly, glad not dressin oil at copese lol
Old 23 Sep 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2295855)   #540
norma_maan
Rookie

England
norma_maan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi to everybody i met over the weekend (i am the marshall in a sling) thanks for a fantastic 1st Britcar look forward to seeing many of you again and i will be back next year for sure Maan
Old 23 Sep 2008, 10:49 (Ref:2295957)   #541
alexhall
Racer

England
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
alexhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by norma_maan
Hi to everybody i met over the weekend (i am the marshall in a sling) thanks for a fantastic 1st Britcar look forward to seeing many of you again and i will be back next year for sure Maan
Hello Norma! How's the arm?
Old 23 Sep 2008, 11:28 (Ref:2295989)   #542
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DRUID
thanks to red_08 for stickin with me all the way as a new b
Not a problem at all mate. We teamed up pretty well and we had a good giggle all weekend. I'll catch you at Oulton or Anglesey soon and don't forget to put up a post if you're short of a lift.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 15:02 (Ref:2296160)   #543
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie
Wow, what a weekend!! It was hugely enjoyable right from the start, and most of the racing was terrific. A special word of thanks to Paul Wilson and the entire Scottish crew who were very welcoming to both myself and Maurice, to Brian Cox and all the marshals at Stowe, to Alan Tyson (Alan, many thanks for going out of your way to check that I had received the overalls at the end of the 24hrs - it was very much appreciated), to Shelagh for the pies, and last but not least to James Tucker and team.

Roll on 2009...
Yup - great bunch who were still smiling when I brought lunch along on Sunday and flapped some cloth on sticks for a while. Hope you all had a safe drive home - a long round trip that I hope you all found worth it?

Cheers, David
Old 23 Sep 2008, 17:28 (Ref:2296256)   #544
stuarty101
Rookie

Scotland
Blackburn,West Lothain
stuarty101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first Britcar24hr and had a great time. Thanks to all at Stowe especaily Duncan,Charles,Darryll,Graham(aka team Lupo) for making the 24hr such a laugh and our IO Brian Cox for making us so welcome.Looking foward to next year already.

also our thoughts go to Alan Neate and his family at this time.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2296282)   #545
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apart form the startline incident, it was a great weekend at Brooklands.
Special thanks to Bob (I/O) and John, his assistant. It was a pleasure working with you and hope to do so again. Also to Andy (from Oulton), my assistant Flag/Obs, who did a great job throughout, especially towards the end.
Well done to all the crew for putting out the fires so efficiently, after a long 24 hrs, great job by all.
Great weather throughout, though the warm pies on Sunday morning were heaven, thanks Shelagh.
I said earlier that if the 24hrs clashed with the Revival next year, I'd probably go to Goodwood. Well after this year, I've changed my mind. Well done JT. By the way Mike Kelly is no longer "Peachy", he's now "Bright Orangy".
Get well soon Andy.

Last edited by White flag man; 23 Sep 2008 at 18:00.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2296368)   #546
norma_maan
Rookie

England
norma_maan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a few pictures from the weekend

http://www.ybrik.co.uk
Old 23 Sep 2008, 19:56 (Ref:2296377)   #547
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A thought, having posted on the other thread for Andy - How many of us have said "thank you" to the Rescue Unit (Midland?) and the Doctors for doing not just what they are trained to do but above and beyond? It has to be down to their efforts that Andy was stabilised enough to get to hospital.

I, personally, applaud you all for doing what you do and it just proves why I have never applied to join you (I faint at the sight of my own blood). We all take the p**s about you hanging around in comfort but, when push comes to shove, aren't you the guys we need to have to sort things out?

I think this just proves that we'd rather the rescue units spent their racing days asleep and unwanted and we really ought to remember just why they are there.

And we remembered to give them pies this year.....................

Well done, guys. You make me proud.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 20:04 (Ref:2296387)   #548
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could not agree with Shelagh more, I gave fire cover during the extraction and can say that every member of the rescue and medical team performed an excellent job and it was an experience to see them all carrying out their tasks with very little conversation, just like clock work.I am very proud to be able to say that I have watched a very professional team at work, and that they in no uncertain terms gave Andy the best start in surviving a horrific impact.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 20:07 (Ref:2296388)   #549
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by norma_maan
a few pictures from the weekend

http://www.ybrik.co.uk
Some great photos there.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 20:30 (Ref:2296407)   #550
Miss Pebbles
Another Little Teapot
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Miss Pebbles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanowat1
I had 5 piece breccy and coffee and they just took voucher, my daughter whyo was in probans had the same and she was asked for an extra 80p.
Im sure they just make it up as they go along, I had a bottle of fizzy drink, chilli and rice for dinner one night, while Bam Bam had same drink, chilli and chips which cost about £1.20 more random. then I paid more for something another time. But at the end of the day, I decided that I could live with it as I was only paying a small contribution!

Was a pleasure working with you deanowat1, Red_08, simes and all the rest of you. I guess I was so well behaved you didnt work out who I was!
The coffee was definitely appreciated, I' go so far as to call Richard a genius! ha ha. and I like to think I imparted a lot of my wisdom on him when we were a team on Friday