Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 10 Apr 2015, 19:37 (Ref:3525870)   #5476
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
Seems like Porsche got some remains of the "Berlin wall" and took them to Silverstone to put them around their trucks & pit ...

?
Old 10 Apr 2015, 20:08 (Ref:3525878)   #5477
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tight sercurity
Old 10 Apr 2015, 20:54 (Ref:3525890)   #5478
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Giba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Seems like Porsche got some remains of the "Berlin wall" and took them to Silverstone to put them around their trucks & pit ...
It's ridiculous the walls, there's no point in an open paddock if the teams will put them up. Hope it doesn't start a trend
Old 10 Apr 2015, 20:56 (Ref:3525891)   #5479
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
It wouldn't be the first time Porsche have done something like this. I remember Nick Daman being very aggrieved at being man-handled in/out of the Porsche garage just after Le Mans last year (it should still be on the post-race broadcast if you want to check).
Old 10 Apr 2015, 22:31 (Ref:3525909)   #5480
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Makes me appreciate the Nissan effort even more. They showed us the car inside and out.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 05:04 (Ref:3525948)   #5481
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is it something like this? http://www.motorsport.com/wec/photo/...=8&r=8725&s=-6
Old 11 Apr 2015, 05:50 (Ref:3525951)   #5482
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
No it's around there trucks in the paddock and its at least 7ft high
Old 11 Apr 2015, 06:13 (Ref:3525955)   #5483
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow! Any pictures? I have not seen this.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 06:33 (Ref:3525960)   #5484
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Sadly I took over 300 pictures yesterday but didn't take a photo of that. I'll go down there today and when I do I'll post it on here
Old 11 Apr 2015, 07:22 (Ref:3525964)   #5485
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Thank you kindly.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 12:02 (Ref:3526040)   #5486
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Well done Porsche!
If you can't win the race, at least take the pole.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 17:26 (Ref:3526171)   #5487
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Rain forecasted for the last third of the race. Porsche is going to have a very tough race.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 17:29 (Ref:3526177)   #5488
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
If theyre running slower, at least they can use the battery on the straights to make a pass.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 17:30 (Ref:3526179)   #5489
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Did you see the lap times from the 3rd practice?
Old 11 Apr 2015, 17:37 (Ref:3526186)   #5490
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most forecasts don't seem to be saying rain but it is still a possibility as they aren't really sure what the weathers doing tomorrow.

I'm not sure the Porsche wall is really that bad either, they seem to have some sort of staff/prep area by the truck that I guess they don't want people looking into?
Old 11 Apr 2015, 17:38 (Ref:3526187)   #5491
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
So what? As long as they can hang on. And the top speed should keep them close at least.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 18:14 (Ref:3526208)   #5492
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post

I'm not sure the Porsche wall is really that bad either, they seem to have some sort of staff/prep area by the truck that I guess they don't want people looking into?
http://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/...-championship/
This year’s 6 hours of Silverstone ticket gives you access to a lot of FREE extras including:
- FIA WEC Pit Lane Walkabout on Sunday available with the first 2,000 tickets only!
- Pit Lane Walkabout on Saturday for ELMS open to all on a first come first served basis
- Paddock access for FIA WEC, ELMS and FIA F3

Whats the point of Paddock access if Porsche hides behind a wall? That like a pit lane walkabout with the garage doors closed to me ...
Old 11 Apr 2015, 22:15 (Ref:3526265)   #5493
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giba View Post
No it's around there trucks in the paddock and its at least 7ft high
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Wow! Any pictures? I have not seen this.
I'd have got a better shot if I'd read the thread before going to Silverstone today, but this is what it looks like...

To be fair it's not just Porsche, Audi are pretty similar. It does kind of make a mockery of the open paddock though.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 22:23 (Ref:3526270)   #5494
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know we've had debates about how things are organised in the WEC on here recently, but that is surely the most offensive move yet.

That is a real shame.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 22:27 (Ref:3526272)   #5495
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
The most fitting comment I can add is that it reminds me of the racing series I used to watch. Whether it's for secrecy or sanctuary the end result is the same - more disappointed fans.

This does rather make a mockery of the inclusive attitude that many people involved in sportscars champion as a quality almost unique to this type of racing.

Edit - That's not quite fair actually, for all the misgivings I might have about the GT-R LMP's performance their openness is in marked contrast to this.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 22:41 (Ref:3526275)   #5496
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
The most fitting comment I can add is that it reminds me of the racing series I used to watch. Whether it's for secrecy or sanctuary the end result is the same - more disappointed fans.

This does rather make a mockery of the inclusive attitude that many people involved in sportscars champion as a quality almost unique to this type of racing.

Edit - That's not quite fair actually, for all the misgivings I might have about the GT-R LMP's performance their openness is in marked contrast to this.
Re the bit I've bolded - I have to second that. About 2 minutes after I took that photo of the Porsche area, I was standing right next to the GT-R's and would have been sitting in one if I wasn't worried about being the fat bloke who couldn't get out of an LMP1 car....

This is a problem with the team, not the organisers necessarily - though presumably the ACO and/or FIA could very easily outlaw the walled enclosures
Old 11 Apr 2015, 22:50 (Ref:3526276)   #5497
TF110
Veteran

United States
They have to strike a balance with the big manufacturers, this might be a price the wec has to pay.
Old 12 Apr 2015, 07:46 (Ref:3526352)   #5498
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How did Audi handle this is "for the fans" ALMS?
Old 12 Apr 2015, 08:39 (Ref:3526371)   #5499
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
To give Porsche a bit of credit the team personnel still had to walk between this walled off area and the hospitality unit across the main paddock avenue - so if you wanted your chance at spotting personalities etc you could still do so, and while I didn't investigate much further, the scrum of people around the 'front desk' of the Porsche paddock area seemed to feel that there was something worth nosing around for.

Equally looking at some other teams, all that's really being blocked is a view of transporters and the chance of peering down and catching a fleeting glimpse of a tyre etc.

Really not sure it's the sort of thing worth wailing too much about.
Old 12 Apr 2015, 10:41 (Ref:3526407)   #5500
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is it any different from what we are used to see at Le Mans?
(or rather not see)