Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 3 Feb 2014, 08:09 (Ref:3363526)   #5576
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I noted that he stopped short of calling it a 'Sport' when asked the question, but referred to it as 'Entertainment with Credibility'
Old 3 Feb 2014, 14:44 (Ref:3363628)   #5577
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I noted that he stopped short of calling it a 'Sport' when asked the question, but referred to it as 'Entertainment with Credibility'
It was like "opening night at a restaurant", that was a good line too!
Old 3 Feb 2014, 16:38 (Ref:3363671)   #5578
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Joeb, I know they may have stood a chance to podium if they ran faultlessly, but the stint length and top speed were worse than even bmw. Magically the Z4's were turning consistent 1:45's in the last hours closing the gap. Maybe tires? Maybe wing adjustments?
The Z4's were the fastest GTLM cars in trap speed during the race:

http://boom.net/~mike/lapfu.php?char...56-GTLM&trap=1

Would have been a nice time to try out that anti-sandbagging rule.. but hey, since when would the series say they're doing something and then do something completely different? :-)

-mike
Old 3 Feb 2014, 18:49 (Ref:3363721)   #5579
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
The Z4's were the fastest GTLM cars in trap speed during the race:

http://boom.net/~mike/lapfu.php?char...56-GTLM&trap=1

Would have been a nice time to try out that anti-sandbagging rule.. but hey, since when would the series say they're doing something and then do something completely different? :-)

-mike
I'm sure they just "found" something with the setup
Old 3 Feb 2014, 20:54 (Ref:3363802)   #5580
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I'm sure they just "found" something with the setup

IMSA took 60mm off their rear wing height on Thur. before the race. That would help a lot, especially after they had some running time with it.
Old 3 Feb 2014, 20:56 (Ref:3363804)   #5581
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
"...and the stands had people in them." - Ricky Taylor

Daytona was the only Grand AM race that ever had decent attendance, the test will be WG, Laguna etc. I think a lot of people went to Daytona this year expecting a brave new world.
Old 3 Feb 2014, 22:07 (Ref:3363825)   #5582
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/co...tien-bourdais/
Daytona Prototypes to regain the diffuser for Sebring, possibly other races
Old 4 Feb 2014, 03:12 (Ref:3363902)   #5583
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/co...tien-bourdais/
Daytona Prototypes to regain the diffuser for Sebring, possibly other races

I think the diffuser is not a great idea. That is the single biggest cost increase for the DP teams and I don't think they really need it.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 03:14 (Ref:3363903)   #5584
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
We'll find out after the test.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 03:34 (Ref:3363906)   #5585
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its obvious now the cars cant be equal on all courses under one set of rules. They should have taken 300 or so RPM off the DPs at Daytona.

But the Oak Racing car was passing DPs around the outside in the infield, so they will need the diffuser to keep up with the P2s at Sebring.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 05:34 (Ref:3363920)   #5586
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
And is there still a risk of a blow over is one spins at high speed?
Old 4 Feb 2014, 08:40 (Ref:3363953)   #5587
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That depends on the downforce of the front, but looks like IMSA is ready to put DP in a much more favored position than P2.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 09:39 (Ref:3363979)   #5588
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Im no expert, but Daytona may have been a unique case with the blowovers with the diffuser. At least we can hope thats the case!
Old 4 Feb 2014, 15:15 (Ref:3364072)   #5589
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
We'll find out after the test.
Indeed, test is 2-weeks from now and I am pretty interested to see how the various classes shake out at Sebring. I expect some tweeking of the prototype bop after the test, and possible GTD. I don't expect anybody to have a 1 second gap over anybody like we had at Daytona which is something that should make the teams happy.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3364081)   #5590
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
That depends on the downforce of the front, but looks like IMSA is ready to put DP in a much more favored position than P2.
If DP are BoPed to be in the lead at Sebring I'm out...
Old 4 Feb 2014, 16:16 (Ref:3364086)   #5591
Jack Spratt
Rookie

Jack Spratt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post

Not quite. Having already spun means that now you have no downforce to speak of, front or rear.

The blow overs were a result of the air underneath and inside the cars, the diffuser created lift when turned into the direction of travel. Vented fenders helps to relieve the pressure under the bodywork as would roof flaps ala NASCAR.

A blow over can occur anywhere given the right conditions, Daytona isn't an anomaly in that respect, it just happened to produce the right conditions at the time.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 16:19 (Ref:3364088)   #5592
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
If DP are BoPed to be in the lead at Sebring I'm out...
What happens if they're even and the DP takes the win due to better strategy and less mistakes? Still out?
Old 4 Feb 2014, 16:27 (Ref:3364092)   #5593
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The P2s have already been dialled way back with limited aero and rock hard spec tires and DP being given a major power boost so having DP "equal" in terms of performance is already more than a little disingenuous. They are boring technically and to watch on track. Last year at Sebring we had LMP1 space ships win overall, they are breathtaking to watch the corners and even more stunning to look at in the paddock with all the panels off. To see a glorified 1970's Trans AM car, as they were brilliantly described yesterday, win overall almost makes my stomach turn.
Let's just give DP more and more power and more and more downforce until they out-accelerate and corner the same as P2 cars while the P2 cars race at a spec LESS than their specified rule set. Brilliant.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 16:50 (Ref:3364097)   #5594
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The ideal should be, as it almost was at Daytona, that a well-driven, well-engineered example of either class should turn equivalent lap times around any track.

If DPs needs extra aero and power to keep up, they should get it, and equally P2s should get what they need---to Compete.

The quickest DP was .6 quicker than the quickest P2 at Daytona---it's hard to know if engineering, experience, and familiar rubber was responsible for that gasp, or if anther small tweak was needed.

Anyone who saw the Oak Morgan-Nissan carving up the infield should feel secure that P2s will perform at Sebring. If DPs are made Equal (not better, not worse) that we have no reason to complain, no matter which car wins.

I want the best of both varieties to be turning the same lap times, that's all. I don't want my prejudice about a specific chassis type to dictate the race result. That is not fair no matter which type I might favor.

Run a real race, is what I say. No LDWB, no TV cautions, just put equivalent cars in class on track and let them settle it by racing.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 16:55 (Ref:3364098)   #5595
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't wanna sound excessively angry or off put by some of the comments here, but I think that we all know how most fans think of the DP cars and have questioned and stated NASCAR's involvement in IMSA now.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of them for the reasons that Canada ALMS Fan and others have posted, and I agree with Mulsanne Mike every time he says that he's not exactly inspired by mid-engined, long wheelbase, modernized Trans Am and IMSA GTO cars. The most modern thing on a DP are the engines, gearboxes, pushrod operated inboard suspension, and, since the end of last season, carbon brakes.

I do hold DP's to be race cars, however, no matter how out of place they may be or seem today. I have to admit that I'm a huge fan of 1970's LM cars, such as the Rondeau LM cars (one of which won LM overall in 1980) and the WM Peugeots, even if their turbocharged Peugeot PRV V6s were essentially time bombs that often operated on the edge of failure and often went over that edge.

All of that being said, and though of a similar vintage (the Rondeau cars, from the Inaltera GTP though to the M382) were tube-frame/monocoque hybrid chassis (tube frame encased in load bearing aluminum sheet panels, sort of like some Ferrari F1 and LM cars from the 60's and early '70s, while the WMs were monocoque cars with a load bearing backbone structure), I do find the DP's less glamorous than those cars, but DP's could have a place in modern racing if they were cheap, which they aren't.

I know that I'll probably be crucified by some, but some of the DP owners should probably be thrown a bone, because they're the ones who made the most investment with upgrades on their cars. In 2003, a rolling DP chassis, minus engine, cost $365K. Then the Gen 2 cars upped the cost to about $420K or so, and the Gen 3 cars now cost $480-500K. That's already more than a fully-complete cost capped LMP2 does, but with the upgrades, we're now talking about a $100-150K increase. So that's about $600-650K.

I don't like the DP's any more than most of you here, and I don't like the fact that the things have never passed any major crash tests, let alone the ACO/FIA tests that the LMP2s have passed, but the DP's are here to stay for the immediate future, not until something cheaper comes on the scene that's faster on track and more economical to own and run.

And with the 2017 rules, IMSA has said that the tube frame DPs will be obsolete under those rules, exceptions to be made for those that adopt a Super GT/DTM carbon chassis. I'm not the biggest fan of DTM or even Super GT (though I found the latter interesting, especially when they still ran production based engines and modified unitbody chassis).

I know that the late race yellow also PO'd some (OK, a lot!) people, and that along with what happened with the Gainsco Riley Corvette DP and how much it was totally destroyed is IMO inexcusable, but there's not much we can do now. We can only hope that those in charge learn from this. If they don't start to show signs that they're learning from their mistakes and such, then it's time to lose faith.

I can understand people being ticked, but it's only race one. Even though I found some stuff that happened as being inexcusable, if the management does indeed plan on keeping the DP's too far out front and they don't learn from the errors of Daytona, if it keeps going until mid-season, then it's time to really question what's going on.

I don't think that going off the deep end now won't fix anything. Even if they will only listen to bombast and sensationalism, you can't take it too far. If they don't make an effort to improve and get better, then it's time to lose it...
Old 4 Feb 2014, 17:29 (Ref:3364104)   #5596
somebodysb2
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
somebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsomebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
what happened with the Gainsco Riley Corvette DP and how much it was totally destroyed is IMO inexcusable
As of right now, 2014 spec DP's are nothing more than tube-framed coffins.

The ACO does it differently.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 18:04 (Ref:3364114)   #5597
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
The P2s have already been dialled way back with limited aero and rock hard spec tires and DP being given a major power boost so having DP "equal" in terms of performance is already more than a little disingenuous. They are boring technically and to watch on track. Last year at Sebring we had LMP1 space ships win overall, they are breathtaking to watch the corners and even more stunning to look at in the paddock with all the panels off. To see a glorified 1970's Trans AM car, as they were brilliantly described yesterday, win overall almost makes my stomach turn.
Let's just give DP more and more power and more and more downforce until they out-accelerate and corner the same as P2 cars while the P2 cars race at a spec LESS than their specified rule set. Brilliant.
P2's are faster than ACO spec in TUSC.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 18:12 (Ref:3364117)   #5598
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Perhaps not really--they may have larger air restrictors, but I'd bet that the spec Conti/Hoosier rubber is inferior in terms of performance to the Michelin or Dunlop tires that they run in Europe.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3364136)   #5599
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Perhaps not really--they may have larger air restrictors, but I'd bet that the spec Conti/Hoosier rubber is inferior in terms of performance to the Michelin or Dunlop tires that they run in Europe.
This and also until this article they were being required to run Le Mans levels of downforce to reduce cornering speed.
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/bo...d-for-sebring/

Anyway, my point was not to hate on DP, it was to say that I hope inferior machinery isn't given an advantage due to prior allegiances. If this truly is a merger I want a fair fight until the new rules for 2017. DP were designed for Daytona but if they start winning at Road Atlanta, Sebring, and Laguna Seca because the P2 are artificially stifled that is not acceptable. Once we have cars built to a single ruleset then we will know differences are in engineering and driving, providing they don't try to balance all machinery as equal.
And as Maelochs says, please no more manufactured racing.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 20:57 (Ref:3364194)   #5600
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
I keep saying any winner of the 12 Hours post 2012 needs an asterisk next to their name to note the dumbed down spec nascar joke years.

Last edited by jeast; 4 Feb 2014 at 21:06.
Closed Thread