Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 5 Aug 2011, 01:53 (Ref:2936019)   #576
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Using the standard F1 feed is fine as long as that feed stays standard, not like the last attempt at digital F1TV where the free to air feed was restricted to two in car cameras and limited replays. (late 90's or early 00's if I recall.)
Old 5 Aug 2011, 05:45 (Ref:2936035)   #577
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I hate replays of the start. Thats one thing they really overdo now. Lap 3 of the race, "lets show a 60 second replay of the start and first corner", then we cut back live and the battle we were watching live before has changed places etc. Annoys the hell out of me.

It almost annoys me as much as the obligatory "random car enters pits = must show it on TV even if we are in the middle of a great battle between other cars on track". Then cut away from pits and that battle has been resolved and we missed it etc.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2936077)   #578
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Which I then use to buy sky.

There should be a name for all this. What could it be? Er, it is the electronic age, it is all deceitful, it is a big circle and to do with an individuals work. What about e-con-o-my?

I guess it's economics -thats why I will not spend 3.5% of my income on Sky just to watch F1.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 10:10 (Ref:2936092)   #579
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its interesting that the Sky announcement was on the eve of the summer break break for F1, there are no senior personnel in the teams for a 3 week period.

No doubt they hope it will all have gone quiet by the time they are back from vacation and they can look forward to Bernie' s extra revenue from the fans pockets for next season.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 10:44 (Ref:2936101)   #580
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I keep reading everywhere that F1 on Sky will be pay-per-view.
Are they just counting Sky Sports as PPV (seeing as you have to subscribe to get it), or will F1 be like the big boxing fights on Sky's special PPV channels?
Anyone know? Because I can't find that info anywhere.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 11:18 (Ref:2936109)   #581
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It's not pay per view. [ie. you don't pay on a GP per GP basis]

It's pay for view [you pay to gain access to the 4/5 Sky Sports channels]

A pay per view arrangement would probably be cheaper? Maybe they'll provide a package for that as well to help dampen down some of the anger they've been getting.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 16:14 (Ref:2936174)   #582
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At last some sensible comment from the Virgin Racing CEO, well done for seeing the obvious.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 16:31 (Ref:2936178)   #583
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But as with everyone's comments from the paddock, what are the "innovations"? How can you speculate whether the fans will benefit from this if you don't even know what Sky are going to do?

As has already been mentioned, the basic coverage will be the same, unless they attach something new and exciting to the red button (which presumably you wouldn't pay any attention to anyway as most people will be more interested in watching the race). I won't be paying for the "privilege" but it would be interesting to know how Sky are going to better something which pretty much everyone believes is quite good.

I don't buy the stuff about Sky presenting sport better than other broadcasters. Their football coverage, for example, is pretty dire. No time for any analysis due to all the adverts before and after the match, and ex-pros wittering on about nothing in particular, saying how great the Premier League is and how Europe hates England. Will their F1 coverage be pro-Mclaren (even more so than the BBC's already is...) and launch into tirades every time Hamilton gets given a penalty? In this case I prefer the BBC's coverage, as long as Alan Shearer isn't involved.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 17:57 (Ref:2936206)   #584
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
And the latest news here at Sky is that McLaren driver, Lewis Hamilton, has stated that he will only drive for McLaren if he can have £300,000 a week and a big house in Wilmslow.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 18:25 (Ref:2936228)   #585
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
And the latest news here at Sky is that McLaren driver, Lewis Hamilton, has stated that he will only drive for McLaren if he can have £300,000 a week and a big house in Wilmslow.
And breaking Sky News - Lewis was seen waving to a z-list celebrity earlier today - over to our roving reporter who will be doing an in-depth interview on how the celebrity felt, plus an interview with the celeb's ex-partner from 3 years back.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 19:13 (Ref:2936260)   #586
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Good news is that my local pub landlord is an F1 nut, and will be broadcasting F1 on Sky instead of the usual soccer games (should they clash) when the races are not on BBC TV. Qualifying coverage shouldn't be a problem either.

Bad news is that I was really coming to terms with having to do more fishing.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2936314)   #587
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have just finished reading all the recent posts on this thread.Initial thoughts:Frank Williams would almost certainly not have engaged Adam Parr if he was a complete pillock-but he certainly seems to have a remarkable ability to impersonate one.
The BBC has done a fine job of broadcasting F1 and I understand that it supplies the TV commentary to a number of other regions,where it is highly regarded.I suppose this income stream will soon cease.The licence fee itself is redolent of taxation without representation as we are obliged to pay and have no practical means of expressing preferences regarding output.
Comparisons between Premier league football and F1 are spurious as most of the football clubs are haemorrhaging cash and only remain in business courtesy of the owners dipping their hands into their pockets in the remote hope of catching a little reflected glory in the event that their team disrupts the normality of the usual half dozen teams monopolising the higher reaches of the league.
Will I watch in future?Yes,but not on Sky.Will the sponsors get annoyed?We will find out fairly soon.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 22:12 (Ref:2936318)   #588
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This recent Sky deal will be the start of a slow death for F1 as we know it.The move to smaller turbo engines isn't going to help either.

It must be obvious to anyone that simply by moving to a pay TV channel your audience will automatically reduce. Some people can't afford it, some won't have it on principle, some can't be arsed to sign up and casual viewers will just watch something else for free.I guess your regular audience will shrink by 25% + immediately? I don't really know what the exact figure would be but its certainly got to be less rather than more.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 16:57 (Ref:2936478)   #589
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyndie View Post

My opinion : will watch BBC and delayed BBC, will not pay for or watch "pay to view" sky (nor should anyone)
Just out of interest, but what gives you the right or authority to tell anyone what they should, or should not watch?
Old 6 Aug 2011, 17:07 (Ref:2936482)   #590
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Adam is rolling his eyes...
Old 6 Aug 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2936509)   #591
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Adam is rolling his eyes...
I used to know a man that could do that with one of his. B-bum.

But seriously. People will do what they feel is best to suit themselves when 2012 comes along. I, for one, won't mind either going fishing, or watching it down the pub, when the BBC aren't showing races (current medical condition allowing).
Old 6 Aug 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2936511)   #592
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I used to know a man that could do that with one of his. B-bum.

But seriously. People will do what they feel is best to suit themselves when 2012 comes along. I, for one, won't mind either going fishing, or watching it down the pub, when the BBC aren't showing races (current medical condition allowing).
There you are a compromise.. I know many are angry about this decision and rightly so after seeing what most describe as an excellent job done by the Beeb for no more than a small yearly license fee..

Times change of course...
Old 6 Aug 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2936517)   #593
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Just out of interest, but what gives you the right or authority to tell anyone what they should, or should not watch?
I read this as more "and nor should anyone have to" rather than an telling someone what they are allowed to do.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 20:28 (Ref:2936588)   #594
cleanup
Rookie

England
cleanup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyndie View Post
Posted by Cynic "If you don't have Sky Sports currently it's presumably either a) because you can't afford it, or b) don't give a toss about Football / Rugby / Cricket etc. If it's the latter case are you really going to pay 30 quid a month for 8-10 hours of viewing time? I know I won't be."

A bit late to this thread (well very late it appears)

My opinion : will watch BBC and delayed BBC, will not pay for or watch "pay to view" sky (nor should anyone)

The whole idea is pants and designed to draw more money from us (you, me and all other fans) in a time of financial hardship.

I think that Bernie is just greedy.

I am a fan but crucially NOT fanatical.
Hey Boyndie, if all goes to normal British policy, Scotland will receive free sky funded by the English tax payers!!! Joking apart, I guess that times change and for sure, its a money spinner for Bernie, any benefits to the teams will be a long way from now. Personally, I would be happy to pay to view a GP presented as well as the BBC not only because its great coverage but critically, no breaks or adverts. Going back to ITV days and its associated frustrations with damned commercials will be shocking and to add insult to injury, the adverts will be about football and dare i say a sport called cricket, I think someone moved last time i was unfortunate to see few minutes. Pay extra for F1, yes but only with no commercials.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 08:26 (Ref:2936809)   #595
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanup View Post
Hey Boyndie, if all goes to normal British policy, Scotland will receive free sky funded by the English tax payers!!! Joking apart,
Totally off topic, but..... was looking at Legoland tickets online the other day and it was a 70pence per ticket booking charge, but free if booking in Scotland? How can that be???

Anyway, back on topic...........
Old 7 Aug 2011, 09:53 (Ref:2936821)   #596
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a reason why F1 isn't also offered streaming online for a fee?

MotoGP does this and it seems like 'money for jam' after all the cameras are already there, so is the website. I am sure the start up/server/bandwidth costs are well and truly recovered in the price.

Surely a hundred Euros or so a season from a few thousand (or hundred thousand) fans would not go astray?
Old 7 Aug 2011, 13:17 (Ref:2936867)   #597
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surely it should streamed for free?
Old 7 Aug 2011, 13:42 (Ref:2936870)   #598
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone expect any thing else? I did not, nail the renegade, his business and reputation to the mast, and he will kick back, moderation will prevent most of us from writing what we really want to say. Perhaps the best we can expect are a few good ''Brundleisioms''
Old 7 Aug 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2936878)   #599
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My suggestions:

a) write to the Beeb BEGGING/demanding them not to announce the result of races they haven't yet shown delayed (except on 5-live, obviously)

b) introduce the free-to-air championship where points are only awarded for the relevant races

c) introduce the Murdoch-free cup where Sky points are reduced by 39.1% (I think that's the evil one's stake)
Old 7 Aug 2011, 14:45 (Ref:2936881)   #600
boyndie
Rookie

Scotland
Scottish Highlands
boyndie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=cleanup;2936588]Hey Boyndie, if all goes to normal British policy, Scotland will receive free sky funded by the English tax payers!!!

Never mind Sky, I heard it's gonna be in colour next year. Can't wait...
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky