Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Dec 2014, 09:46 (Ref:3481768)   #5976
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
It appears that Max Chilton has offered a lot of money for a P1 drive for next year:-

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/27...his-own-future
Fixed that for you Rob
Old 4 Dec 2014, 10:33 (Ref:3481777)   #5977
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Fixed that for you Rob
Well yes, we know he is well funded (as is his brother) but if there is truth in this then it will be interesting to see where he appears.

I remember seeing him race the Zytek with Tom back in 2007 when he was only about 16/17 and he impressed me and a lot of other people.
Old 4 Dec 2014, 11:05 (Ref:3481783)   #5978
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Wow, he couldn't sound less excited if he tried, huh?

I don't get these drivers, they rather spent another wasted season at a F1 back marker team than driving for a manufacturer at Le Mans? Really?

F1 drivers seem to be as brainwashed about their series as F1 fans are, it's absolutely amazing to see the weird priorities of some people.
You wonder what kind of advice surrounds these drivers. I'm sure Anthony Davidson at the same age would have had a similar attitude, and his latest Autosport interview he openly regrets that.

I am in no way comparing Chilton and Davidson's abilities as drivers, mind!
Old 4 Dec 2014, 11:18 (Ref:3481789)   #5979
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We must remember that the status of World Championship is still very new to modern endurance racing, and that all driver coming up now, and near future, had only that one top series (F1) to aim for when they began.
I think it is hard to give up a goal which you had from when you where 3-4 years old, and realise that the game has changed and that there are other good options, when you feel that you are that close to the goal.

It takes time for motorsport to switch from a single top-tier series, to multiple, and that is what we current see.
Old 4 Dec 2014, 12:16 (Ref:3481801)   #5980
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Fixed that for you Rob
You make it sound as such negative thing... even if our side of the pond is full of pay drivers as well. I don't think you'd be fixing anything if some LMP2 silver driver was "offered" a seat in P1

Anyway. As the recent Caterham crowdfunding versus Brabham (&Perrinn) shows, even the backfield of F1 gets infinitely more attention than sportscar circles simply because of the mass following. Even if he were to return to Marussia or wherever he'd get more press (no matter how crap results) than driving Audi in LMP1
Old 4 Dec 2014, 13:10 (Ref:3481820)   #5981
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I am in no way comparing Chilton and Davidson's abilities as drivers, mind!
Maybe this isn't as silly as it sounds? Trundling around in a back marker F1 car isn't the best indication of how good a driver is, and as others have said he did himself no harm at a very young age the last time he was in a prototype.

As for him wanting to stay in F1, it's lamentable but understandable. He's a young man who wants the fame and recognition that only F1 can offer (hint: "casual"), and he and the people around him think that he is deserving of it. That attitude will change, but it will be a slow process.
Old 4 Dec 2014, 13:32 (Ref:3481838)   #5982
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Maybe this isn't as silly as it sounds? Trundling around in a back marker F1 car isn't the best indication of how good a driver is, and as others have said he did himself no harm at a very young age the last time he was in a prototype.
have to disagree with the sentiment here.

chilton's like will stevens - undoubtably has a decent amount of natural talent but has been polished and refined to within an inch of their lives to make the absolute most of it. absolutely nothing wrong with that, but guys like that don't have a great deal of potential imo - they're already the best they can be, which is great. but there's plenty of real rough diamond potential talents around - chatin, derani, berthon for example, maybe oli rowland and norman nato in a year or so - and surely they're more exciting prospects?

i could understand why a lmp1 team might take his money and it's fine but this is the kind of thing the sport needs to be a little wary of doing too often right at the top. just bringing cash is different to say, representing an important market for a manufacturer or being a successful product of their training scheme.

clearly this is my version of chiana's bop rant
Old 4 Dec 2014, 13:37 (Ref:3481841)   #5983
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Has Chilton been particularly worse against Bianchi than Davidson was against Sato in Super Aguri...

You can't really make judgements from those backmarkers, remember Bruni at Minardi? Freaking Zsolt Baumgartner outscored him
Old 4 Dec 2014, 13:39 (Ref:3481842)   #5984
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
have to disagree with the sentiment here.

chilton's like will stevens - undoubtably has a decent amount of natural talent but has been polished and refined to within an inch of their lives to make the absolute most of it. absolutely nothing wrong with that, but guys like that don't have a great deal of potential imo - they're already the best they can be, which is great. but there's plenty of real rough diamond potential talents around - chatin, derani, berthon for example, maybe oli rowland and norman nato in a year or so - and surely they're more exciting prospects?

i could understand why a lmp1 team might take his money and it's fine but this is the kind of thing the sport needs to be a little wary of doing too often right at the top. just bringing cash is different to say, representing an important market for a manufacturer or being a successful product of their training scheme.

clearly this is my version of chiana's bop rant
I think you're right - thinking back to when I first got interested in sportscars in the early 80s the arrival of exciting new talents in sportscars, coming from the ungoverned wilds of F2 etc, were somehow more exciting than F1 journeymen doing a stint - often because it was a chance for them to really shine and, perhaps selfishly (I was young at them time) to be able to smugly claim I'd spotted them first.

That said, don't underestimate how big Chilton's pot of cash is. While I've got my doubts that it's of the scale to fund a third Toyota, it might well get a Rebellion very excited indeed.
Old 4 Dec 2014, 13:46 (Ref:3481846)   #5985
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
That said, don't underestimate how big Chilton's pot of cash is. While I've got my doubts that it's of the scale to fund a third Toyota, it might well get a Rebellion very excited indeed.
When I read this earlier the first team that popped into my head was Rebellion because I can't see any of the works teams wanting a pay driver.
Old 4 Dec 2014, 13:51 (Ref:3481850)   #5986
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
When I read this earlier the first team that popped into my head was Rebellion because I can't see any of the works teams wanting a pay driver.
And even there it's really the #13

Or Project Kolles...
Old 4 Dec 2014, 14:27 (Ref:3481860)   #5987
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
And even there it's really the #13

Or Project Kolles...
Or indeed a vapourware team that if the stars are in a very particular alignment then things might come off. If it's something like that then Chilton's relative lack of enthusiasm might be a bit more understandable.
Old 4 Dec 2014, 15:43 (Ref:3481872)   #5988
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Has Chilton been particularly worse against Bianchi than Davidson was against Sato in Super Aguri...

You can't really make judgements from those backmarkers, remember Bruni at Minardi? Freaking Zsolt Baumgartner outscored him
those of us blessed with being fangirls and fanboys of non-f1 single seater series are remarkably familiar with drivers and their abilities, to be fair . but i agree, the backmarker teams are impossible to use as solid evidence.

chilton made very few mistakes in f1 race scenarios, even if he wasn't mindbendingly quick. so i guess that's the kind of thing that makes him quite an attractive prospect for endurance racing. he didn't have that many totally "off" weekends either.

but yeah, like isynge says, the chilton pot of gold is pretty massive. for someone like rebellion i imagine it'd be very helpful? if he and his old boy knows what was going on at caterham they might have a better opinion of the kolles project than we'd think too. there's far worse people a team could sign but equally... there's some far greater potential out there.

i wouldn't say i'm against the guys who have well furnished wallets per se, but i'm far keener to champion the cause of those who haven't had every single brilliant opportunity that has been offered to them.
Old 4 Dec 2014, 16:52 (Ref:3481893)   #5989
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Agreed, if Chilton's substantial sponsorship will help the likes of Rebellion, CLM/Lotus or perhaps even Perin(n), Brabham or another privateer P1/P2 effort make substantial progressive, I'm all for it.

He might not be the ultimate F1 driver but neither were McNish or Kristensen - and they both become sportscar legends. Not saying Chilton is the same caliber as those two but he's already proven to be a decent sportscar driver - at an age when most of us were still playing with Lego instead of having it as a sponsor on a blindingly fast racecar!

What is his older brother Tom up to nowadays btw?
Old 4 Dec 2014, 18:04 (Ref:3481905)   #5990
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Not saying Chilton is the same caliber as those two but he's already proven to be a decent sportscar driver - at an age when most of us were still playing with Lego instead of having it as a sponsor on a blindingly fast racecar!
Hey - I'll have you know I'm very much looking forward to the 2015 Technic 1H flagship set even at my age!

A factory car would be a better/more relevant showcase for him but I can't see any of them taking on someone who would jump back into a back-of-the-grid F1 seat at the first opportunity. If he is going to make this sort of commitment it would need to be long-term and it would require his full attention.

This would still be an issue for the privateer teams, but perhaps the sack is too full for the likes of Rebellion to refuse a 1-year deal.
Old 4 Dec 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3481929)   #5991
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wouldn't mind seeing Chilton at Rebellion next year. Not sure if he'd get found out in a works P1 with the lap times so scrutinised.

Agree with Coach Ep. Just because you're not at the sharp end in F1 doesn't mean you can't have a prosperous sportscar career.
Old 4 Dec 2014, 19:03 (Ref:3481934)   #5992
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post

*runs off to check piggy bank*
Old 4 Dec 2014, 21:38 (Ref:3481970)   #5993
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rebellion already employs pay drivers (Kraihamer is one), so he'd fit right in.

Not sure Chilton would have to be a pay driver in sportscars though. Good to use cash to get a foot in the door, but he may have just enough talent to have a paid career in sportscars. This isn't F1, there's many more seats available and the talent requirement (to be paid to drive) is much lower. For example, Nakajima only got into F1 because of his Toyota ties and Kazuki was thoroughly outperformed by Rosberg during his F1 career. After dropping into sportscars, Kazuki started to quickly make Wurz, Sarrazin and Lapierre look slow. Not saying Chilton will be as good as Kazuki (he won't be), but he could end up being a solid sportscar driver.
Old 5 Dec 2014, 03:41 (Ref:3482061)   #5994
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next couple weekends are kinda interesting. The Thunderhill 25 this week, then the Maxi 32 the next.
Old 5 Dec 2014, 10:09 (Ref:3482157)   #5995
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
3 Hours of Killarney tomorrow as well I think.

Assuming it's still going ahead?
I think Zoo Racing's Pilbeam was meant to be making it's debut there.
Old 5 Dec 2014, 10:41 (Ref:3482167)   #5996
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
3 Hours of Killarney tomorrow as well I think.

Assuming it's still going ahead?
I think Zoo Racing's Pilbeam was meant to be making it's debut there.
The organizers aren't doing **** to promote or update info of their own event, but Killarney circuit itself is more helpful. And yeah the Pilbeam is there (seen it)

FINAL ROUND OF THE 2014 POWER SERIES AND THE AFRICAN 3 HOUR

Sat 6 December is the final round in 2014 of the Killarney Power Series sponsored by Wingfield Motors. Being the championship decider for all the Power Series categories, we can expect some really exciting racing.

The event also includes a round of the African endurance series, with the 3 hour race starting at 4:15pm. Entries for this event from all the main centres around South Africa include cars not often seen at Killarney such as the menacing 8.4-litre V10 Dodge Viper, a debuting Pillbeam LMP 100 turbo that is destined for next year’s Le Mans 24-Hour race and Gary Formato in a turbocharged Ford Focus ST EcoBoost and others

Old 5 Dec 2014, 13:50 (Ref:3482227)   #5997
Deleted
Veteran

On Wednesday's WMSC decisions article there was an article regarding WEC and other than calendar it only said A series of changes were made to the sporting and technical regulations for 2015, which are available on fia.com.

I checked both the FIA regs page as well as endurance committee decisions and found nothing, anyone else have anything? Or are they just slow on updating as usual
Old 6 Dec 2014, 04:05 (Ref:3482410)   #5998
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll post some thunderhill photos tomorrow
Old 6 Dec 2014, 11:42 (Ref:3482491)   #5999
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting to hear that Joey Hand is moving away from BMW Motorsport next year.

Anyone care to speculate where he might end up?
Old 6 Dec 2014, 12:03 (Ref:3482494)   #6000
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Nissan?