Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 17 Apr 2013, 05:11 (Ref:3235609)   #601
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
One thing about the future no one seems to be talking about, after August we will lose all the content from the SPEED website, John and Marshall provide a lot of sportscar news.
If possible, the two of them would be a good start to a new site.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 05:29 (Ref:3235614)   #602
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am sure they will land somewhere, lets just hope it is as active in the sport as SPEED.com has been.

L.P.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 08:22 (Ref:3235673)   #603
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Ever heard of Dallara? http://www.racecar-engineering.com/c...-tron-quattro/ They are still an authorized constructor for GA and have a couple of chassis being run occasionally.

L.P.
Yes - I am sure the connection has been made elsewhere, but with Audi's connections to Dallara and Dallara's to GA then the construction of a Audi DP chassis is far easier than many realise.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 12:12 (Ref:3235767)   #604
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
One thing about the future no one seems to be talking about, after August we will lose all the content from the SPEED website, John and Marshall provide a lot of sportscar news.
Both have been writing for http://www.racer.com/ recently. Their weekend "Notebooks" sections from Indycar and Sportscar races have been showing up here rather than Speed. With the Autosport content, I've been going here more and more.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 14:24 (Ref:3235824)   #605
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Yes - I am sure the connection has been made elsewhere, but with Audi's connections to Dallara and Dallara's to GA then the construction of a Audi DP chassis is far easier than many realise.

Yes, Dallara is the constructor of AUDI R18 chassis and also an approved GA chassis constructor but of the approved Dallara DP chassis as used by Taylor for example. They are not approved to make a different AUDI DP chassis. This is even cheaper and indeed AUDI could buy a used chassis and just plug in their engine.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 16:49 (Ref:3235869)   #606
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Both have been writing for http://www.racer.com/ recently. Their weekend "Notebooks" sections from Indycar and Sportscar races have been showing up here rather than Speed. With the Autosport content, I've been going here more and more.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 17 Apr 2013, 17:09 (Ref:3235873)   #607
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Yes, Dallara is the constructor of AUDI R18 chassis and also an approved GA chassis constructor but of the approved Dallara DP chassis as used by Taylor for example. They are not approved to make a different AUDI DP chassis. This is even cheaper and indeed AUDI could buy a used chassis and just plug in their engine.
Audi buy a used chassis.....

L.P.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 17:59 (Ref:3235886)   #608
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...e-regulations/

Well, at least they realize they need some future direction from 2016 on.....
Old 18 Apr 2013, 12:55 (Ref:3236187)   #609
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

L.P.
True - the whole project would be pocket change to AUDI but the point is that a new Dallara chassis for AUDI would by rule be the same as what's already out there - only engine, if approved and bodywork, if approved, can be AUDI specific.
They'll have to find a way to make it sound the same too.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 13:17 (Ref:3236199)   #610
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
True - the whole project would be pocket change to AUDI
That is my main point if Audi wanted to get involved with USCR to help influence the future then it pretty well has all the pieces available to it virtually off the shelf and therefore at a relatively small cost
Old 18 Apr 2013, 13:54 (Ref:3236209)   #611
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Isn't that EXACTLY what DP's are all about? I mean you could buy the Audi body kit, and stick it and an Audi engine in/on a Riley, Coyote, Dallara or whatever else you fancy and you've got an Audi DP, just like the Corvette DP.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 15:03 (Ref:3236224)   #612
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Isn't that EXACTLY what DP's are all about? I mean you could buy the Audi body kit, and stick it and an Audi engine in/on a Riley, Coyote, Dallara or whatever else you fancy and you've got an Audi DP, just like the Corvette DP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRvYSZNyo8M&t=0m24s

L.P.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 15:30 (Ref:3236230)   #613
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
That is my main point if Audi wanted to get involved with USCR to help influence the future then it pretty well has all the pieces available to it virtually off the shelf and therefore at a relatively small cost
Let's hope that they don't dominate USCR... Let the privies do their job!

On the other hand, I wonder if either Toyota or Nissan is interested on USCR. If Audi is joining in, there should follow suit.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 17:21 (Ref:3236263)   #614
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
There is a lot right in this picture that could be learned from.

Old 18 Apr 2013, 17:24 (Ref:3236264)   #615
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
There is a lot right in this picture that could be learned from.

Very good picture. In the 90's you had good multi class racing. That should considered to be ok now too. I have no problem with USCR having DP, P2, PC, and GTLM all very close in lap times. Slow the P2 cars some and you will get that!
Old 18 Apr 2013, 17:31 (Ref:3236270)   #616
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I've been thinking about this... and I don't think multiclass racing per se is the key, but rather including cars from multiple classes in one division.

What I would find interesting is a kind of GT3 for prototypes, i.e. "build your car to whatever ruleset you want -as long as it's safe we'll BOP it into our top class". That way we could see DPs, LMPs and SuperGT/DTM cars all in one class (oh, and I guess Delta-Wings).
Old 18 Apr 2013, 18:41 (Ref:3236303)   #617
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I've been thinking about this... and I don't think multiclass racing per se is the key, but rather including cars from multiple classes in one division.

What I would find interesting is a kind of GT3 for prototypes, i.e. "build your car to whatever ruleset you want -as long as it's safe we'll BOP it into our top class". That way we could see DPs, LMPs and SuperGT/DTM cars all in one class (oh, and I guess Delta-Wings).
An interesting perspective. Much better than requiring LMP2 cars have bespoke aero, etc. adding to the cost of going racing needlessly just to slow them down to DP level. I can't really see much downside if the politics are kept out of the BoP. The open technical platform would certainly allow cars from all over compete in the marquis events. I quite like this.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 18:56 (Ref:3236308)   #618
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have the impression that the BOP between DP and P2 will be similar to what was LMP1 and LMP2 in 2007 and 2008. Of Course now LMP1 is DP (more Power and more weight) and LMP2 is P2.
In those years the LMP1 were more faster than the LMP2 in circuits with long straights such as Sebring, Road America, Road Atlanta, Mosport.
The LMP2 were more faster than the LMP1 in circuits with more curves such as Laguna Seca, Mid Ohio, Detroit, Long Beach.
In my point of view for this reason Audi go to DP because the DP will more faster than P2 in Sebring, Petit Le Mans and Daytona ( with long straights in the oval).
Old 18 Apr 2013, 18:59 (Ref:3236311)   #619
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
I
In my point of view for this reason Audi go to DP because the DP will more faster than P2 in Sebring, Petit Le Mans and Daytona ( with long straights in the oval).
Buying a DP off the shelf and building a body and engine is way cheaper than designing a bespoke P2 from scratch. That is my guess why. Plus they can make it look a little bit like an R8.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 19:09 (Ref:3236320)   #620
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Buying a DP off the shelf and building a body and engine is way cheaper than designing a bespoke P2 from scratch. That is my guess why. Plus they can make it look a little bit like an R8.
I think they could easily use one R18 in P2 with 4.2 V8 road cars.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3236323)   #621
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
If I had my druthers, I'd like to see the Audi R8C pulled out of mothballs and run. (I know it won't happen, but it has Audi styling cues, less advanced aero than present LMPs, and an engine much closer to things that will be running in the 2014 DP/P2 class: a 3.6-litre, turbo V8.)

I doubt you could reasonably eliminate enough of the aero on the R18 to get the rulemakers to accept it. Also, I would imagine the packaging is pretty tight around that 3.7-litre, diesel, turbo V6, and I don't know that the 4.2-litre would even fit. More to the point, I don't know that the atmospheric 4.2-litre would make sufficient torque with DP restrictors to be competitive.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3236365)   #622
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Audi DOES NOT have a spec legal P-2 chassis, period! This is not a run what you brung exercise. Utilizing a Dallara chassis with bespoke Audi bodywork with an Audi production based engine in an interim scenario seems the most logical/likely, of real choices.

I also do not see USCR allowing Audi to build a 'werks' chassis without it being available to customers in the same exact spec that they started with.

L.P.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 21:07 (Ref:3236375)   #623
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Audi DOES NOT have a spec legal P-2 chassis, period! This is not a run what you brung exercise. Utilizing a Dallara chassis with bespoke Audi bodywork with an Audi production based engine in an interim scenario seems the most logical/likely, of real choices.

I also do not see USCR allowing Audi to build a 'werks' chassis without it being available to customers in the same exact spec that they started with.

L.P.
As already I said, I believe that the DP is the best option. I repeat my message:
I have the impression that the BOP between DP and P2 will be similar to what was LMP1 and LMP2 in 2007 and 2008. Of Course now LMP1 is DP (more Power and more weight) and LMP2 is P2.
In those years the LMP1 were more faster than the LMP2 in circuits with long straights such as Sebring, Road America, Road Atlanta, Mosport.
The LMP2 were more faster than the LMP1 in circuits with more curves such as Laguna Seca, Mid Ohio, Detroit, Long Beach.
Old 21 Apr 2013, 23:42 (Ref:3237596)   #624
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
So how many brands will be in prototypes next year?

In DP:

Corvette
Ford (with a new 3.2 o 3.5 v6 turbo and body kit)
Audi (With a V10 and body kit)
BMW (only with engine, Riley body)

Rumor: Aston Martin?
Maserati?
unidentified high-profile manufacturer (with small-displacement turbo powerplant)?

In P2:

Honda
Nissan?
Mazda? (with Dyson)
Old 22 Apr 2013, 01:09 (Ref:3237639)   #625
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Mazda? (with Dyson)
With the trouble Dyson are having with the Lola and Mazda engine, I wouldn't be surprised if they do make a change next year, probably into DP.
Closed Thread