Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Oct 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3311849)   #601
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Looks like Alex Job is working on a multiple car GTD program next season, didn't say which model (s) would be run but I guess Porsche.
http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-21047.html
With TRG getting out of the Porsche rental business, might be a few customers interested in staying with something more proven than the Astons.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 16:34 (Ref:3311923)   #602
smcorolla
Rookie

smcorolla should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
With TRG getting out of the Porsche rental business, might be a few customers interested in staying with something more proven than the Astons.
Im hoping for the Audi R8.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3311940)   #603
PatrickB
Rookie

Canada
Nanaimo BC
PatrickB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I think we can all agree PC and GTC were introduced as grid fillers, and now that they're not needed...just make it a support race and take them out of the main show.
I deffinetly don't agree. PC has become much more than a feild filler. It now has some fantastic teams and drivers. PC has been the best class in the ALMS for a couple years and sounds like it will be even stronger next year.

Like other guys have said the full season USCC teams should be garanteed a spot. Then let the rest qualify and knock teams out based on a percentage from the class leader. So a slow P2 team might get bumped instead of a GTD if the GTD is closer to its class leader.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 18:41 (Ref:3311949)   #604
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Why lose variety and a chance at international appeal for the sake of not wanting to hurt Amateur Hour's feelings?
Agree 100%. There is no need for the LMPC class in the new series. If P2 was the top class on confidential tires and DP was the pro-am "prototype" class at least there would be diversity. Plus the DP could be left almost as-is, minus a BHP increase to stay ahead of GTLM. Spec classes have no place in a top level series.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 18:43 (Ref:3311950)   #605
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickB View Post
I deffinetly don't agree. PC has become much more than a feild filler. It now has some fantastic teams and drivers. PC has been the best class in the ALMS for a couple years and sounds like it will be even stronger next year.
Which PC driver are you a family member of? PC has been the best class in the ALMS? I get that the ALMS prototype classes have been garbage for a couple years but no Pro-AM spec prototype class filled with FLM09 Chevy V8s is going to be better than ALMS GT no matter how many cars are in each class.

PC and GTC are the exact opposite of what sportscar racing is supposed to be and I'd prefer DP over PC every time. For me, PC is the 5th best class in the ALMS...out of 5. It is a class for the competitors and for the series to grid fill/collect entry fees. It is not a class for the fans to care about.

And before you ask, yes I do prefer Lucas Luhr lapping Dyson and the Delta Wing 3 times over Charlie Shears and Rusty Mitchell seconds apart battling it out for "glory" No offense to either one of them.

Last edited by pach233; 2 Oct 2013 at 18:51.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 18:48 (Ref:3311952)   #606
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
And before you ask, yes I do prefer Lucas Luhr lapping Dyson and the Delta Wing 3 times over Charlie Shears and Rusty Mitchell seconds apart battling it out for "glory" No offense to either one of them.
Precisely. Add in the fact I think it was Shears, who was 20 laps down, trying to play race car driver, ruined the chance of the Viper passing the Corvette at the end of the race at Mosport. Useless class for the fans.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 19:56 (Ref:3311964)   #607
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.racer.com/ganassi-team-wo...rticle/314376/

Ganassi working on a full-time second car for 2014.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 23:08 (Ref:3312023)   #608
PatrickB
Rookie

Canada
Nanaimo BC
PatrickB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Which PC driver are you a family member of? PC has been the best class in the ALMS? I get that the ALMS prototype classes have been garbage for a couple years but no Pro-AM spec prototype class filled with FLM09 Chevy V8s is going to be better than ALMS GT no matter how many cars are in each class.

PC and GTC are the exact opposite of what sportscar racing is supposed to be and I'd prefer DP over PC every time. For me, PC is the 5th best class in the ALMS...out of 5. It is a class for the competitors and for the series to grid fill/collect entry fees. It is not a class for the fans to care about.

Heres some current PC drivers-
Ryan Dalziel
Bruno Junqueira
Tom Kimber-Smith
Dane Cameron
Colin Braun
Some of the best prototype drivers out there bar none. Plus its a fantastic way for guys to get into protoypes and possibly move up to the big class in the future. No I'm not related to anyone. Do any of the current team owners have hot daughters?
Old 2 Oct 2013, 23:52 (Ref:3312037)   #609
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like lmpc, just not a part of the big show. would like to see them run with imsa lites or something.

I will say that they only slightly less interesting than the dps for me tho. only thing that makes dps a bit more interesting for me is the slight variation in shapes and engines.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 23:57 (Ref:3312039)   #610
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickB View Post
Heres some current PC drivers-
Ryan Dalziel
Bruno Junqueira
Tom Kimber-Smith
Dane Cameron
Colin Braun
Some of the best prototype drivers out there bar none. Plus its a fantastic way for guys to get into protoypes and possibly move up to the big class in the future. No I'm not related to anyone. Do any of the current team owners have hot daughters?
Personally I like the PC class. Yes it is spec, and it was introduced as a development/grid filler class, but it has produced great racing and we have gotten the chance to see some young drivers shine. It has also produced advancement by teams. Level 5, and Core have both increased their racing footprint as a result. I would add Marcelli to that list and the guy who got pole at cota van der zander(spelling?), Ende and others to the list of good PC drivers
Old 3 Oct 2013, 01:25 (Ref:3312059)   #611
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
I feel the same way about Dps.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 02:37 (Ref:3312072)   #612
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Midweek Motorsport ‏@specutainment 4h
Mwm Extra, no time for this exclusive tonight, Bentley concentrating in perfecting Gt3 version of Gtc, no customer cars before 2nd qtr 2014

Midweek Motorsport ‏@specutainment 4h
Bentley, "evaluating options in US. USCC is under consideration, but there are other potential series that also look suitable
Old 3 Oct 2013, 02:42 (Ref:3312073)   #613
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post

WHAT IS SO BAD ABOUT DAYTONA PROTOTYPES? SOMEONE, TELL ME NOW!!!

Would you like to watch bovine racing that allow Michelins and Yokohamas in addition to Continentals?
Old 3 Oct 2013, 02:54 (Ref:3312075)   #614
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post

Would you like to watch bovine racing that allow Michelins and Yokohamas in addition to Continentals?
Low tech, ugly, and slow. Next.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 3 Oct 2013, 02:57 (Ref:3312076)   #615
jeast
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post

Its glorified club racing.. old, heavy, slow, mostly spec, without anything tech to make them an actual "Prototype". Not for top tier motorsports.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 03:10 (Ref:3312080)   #616
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
1 339 Jordan Taylor
1 339 Max Angelelli
2 326 Memo Rojas
2 326 Scott Pruett
3 312 Alex Gurney
3 312 Jon Fogarty
4 308 Christian Fittipaldi
5 308 Alex Popow
5 308 Ryan Dalziel
6 306 Joao Barbosa

There is the top 10 in points from this season. Aside from Alex Popow I don't see a name there that isn't considered a very high level professional driver, and Popow has proven to be consistently quick in DPs and PCs alike.

That said, PC also features a strong list of professional drivers, so all I can deduce is that it is your bias against the cars that leads you to arrive at the opinions you have. I won't put a value judgement on that, cars are obviously a huge part of motorsport. It is car racing, after all, not driver racing.

I'm willing to bet as you become more familiar with the DP formula your opinions will change on it. PC perhaps not, as it is a spec formula and you have been exposed to it since 2010.

Chris
Old 3 Oct 2013, 03:16 (Ref:3312083)   #617
jeast
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
1 339 Jordan Taylor
1 339 Max Angelelli
2 326 Memo Rojas
2 326 Scott Pruett
3 312 Alex Gurney
3 312 Jon Fogarty
4 308 Christian Fittipaldi
5 308 Alex Popow
5 308 Ryan Dalziel
6 306 Joao Barbosa

There is the top 10 in points from this season. Aside from Alex Popow I don't see a name there that isn't considered a very high level professional driver, and Popow has proven to be consistently quick in DPs and PCs alike.

That said, PC also features a strong list of professional drivers, so all I can deduce is that it is your bias against the cars that leads you to arrive at the opinions you have. I won't put a value judgement on that, cars are obviously a huge part of motorsport. It is car racing, after all, not driver racing.

I'm willing to bet as you become more familiar with the DP formula your opinions will change on it. PC perhaps not, as it is a spec formula and you have been exposed to it since 2010.

Chris
Yeah its about the cars its sportscar racing not track and field and i've had 10 years to change my mind and it hasn't happen (Its gotten worse) they are slow, ugly, mostly spec and low low low tech.. I however do go to the Rolex 24 every year and live in Daytona.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 03:55 (Ref:3312088)   #618
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Edit: nevermind. Not worth the fight. :/
Old 3 Oct 2013, 04:59 (Ref:3312095)   #619
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Not sure how you take a WEC confirmation out of that article when Amato clearly says they aren't sure. To me it seems like they are in the process of lobbying the ACO for a better BoP break.

What the article doesn't touch on is the fact that AF Corse might not even be able to get a single entry to any USCC round if they turn out to be over-subscribed.

That is the big story for me right now. World-class entries being turned away.
OMG!

They may have to turn away cars at Daytona and Sebring!

Of course, this has been routine business at Le Mans for decades.

Andy Flinn
Old 3 Oct 2013, 05:06 (Ref:3312096)   #620
ACFlinn
Racer

Quote:
This is brilliant. I guess with the general (to me) unfavorable direction that NA Racing is taking I haven't really put my head down to think about how I would (not that I have the chance) improve things, but I think this hits the nails on the head. I think we can all agree PC and GTC were introduced as grid fillers, and now that they're not needed...just make it a support race and take them out of the main show.

Why lose variety and a chance at international appeal for the sake of not wanting to hurt Amateur Hour's feelings?
Because after all the Euro entries have been crated up and shipped back to Europe, it's the LMPC and affordable GTC-style Porsche Cup cars - and more importantly their teams and drivers - that will be filling out the grids and supporting the series at the other ten events on the USCC schedule next year.

Almost half of the 35 cars on the entry list for the ALMS race at VIR this weekend are LMPC and GTC.

Andy Flinn
Old 3 Oct 2013, 05:11 (Ref:3312098)   #621
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFlinn View Post
OMG!

They may have to turn away cars at Daytona and Sebring!

Of course, this has been routine business at Le Mans for decades.

Andy Flinn
The difference is the ACO isn't turning away interesting entries to allow club racing cars in to the big show, thus diminishing the value and prestige of their marquis event.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 05:23 (Ref:3312100)   #622
ACFlinn
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Agree 100%. There is no need for the LMPC class in the new series. If P2 was the top class on confidential tires and DP was the pro-am "prototype" class at least there would be diversity. Plus the DP could be left almost as-is, minus a BHP increase to stay ahead of GTLM. Spec classes have no place in a top level series.
Yes, the USCC should foresake at least 8 to 10 committed LMPC entries next year in favor of phantom LMP2's and Euro LMP2's that haven't committed to anything in the USCC next year beyond maybe Daytona or Sebring.

Andy Flinn

Last edited by ACFlinn; 3 Oct 2013 at 05:29.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 05:28 (Ref:3312102)   #623
ACFlinn
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
The difference is the ACO isn't turning away interesting entries to allow club racing cars in to the big show, thus diminishing the value and prestige of their marquis event.

Club racing? You use that word like an insult.

Fact is, these LMPC and GTC "club racers" compete at a higher level than most posters on this message board could ever dream of.

By the way, what club racing class do ALMS LMPC cars race in?

Andy Flinn

Last edited by ACFlinn; 3 Oct 2013 at 05:34.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 05:35 (Ref:3312106)   #624
jeast
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFlinn View Post

Club racing? You use that word like an insult.

Andy Flinn
Ahh there is the problem.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 05:39 (Ref:3312109)   #625
ACFlinn
Racer

Quote:
Ahh there is the problem.
Yes, some fans should lose the attitude - unless they can prove that they can do better.

Andy Flinn