Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 11 Apr 2014, 00:12 (Ref:3390926)   #6376
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
And the torque. Also, most to the corners are lower speed, so not as much aero advantage for a P2 car.
Remember that Porsche won overall against the Audi diesels. You are not going to get more torque than that.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 00:15 (Ref:3390928)   #6377
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danske View Post
So we're saying that P2s are the worst possible car to make their lap times with?
Not in the least. Saying that Long Beach is a point and squirt track with few high speed aero sections. I'm not sure why anybody thinks P2's are going to win, honestly.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 00:25 (Ref:3390932)   #6378
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So ... DPs beat P2s at tracks with long straights, and at short point-and-squirt tracks. Where do P2s have an edge? Tracks with short straights and lots of high-speed corners? Any on the schedule?

The BoP was really close at Sebring, but BoP aside, if in an actual race situation the DPs simply cannot be beat (blocking P2s in slow corners and getting away on torque/power, gapping them on the straights with power, dropping them on restarts with torque/power) then why would anyone race a P2?

Theory is great but reality is real.

I know the Oak Morgan-Nissan was eating up the DPs in the West Horseshoe at Daytona, but did a P2 ever lead a lap except for pit-stop rotation?

P2 owners have to be practical, because they are in business. Sponsors don't pay for "theoretical" publicity.

As for GTD-into-GT3 ... I think the Porsche America owners might complain,. I think All the GTLM owners--and their factories--might complain too.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 01:02 (Ref:3390939)   #6379
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
Not in the least. Saying that Long Beach is a point and squirt track with few high speed aero sections. I'm not sure why anybody thinks P2's are going to win, honestly.
This is what I've been saying! It's all going to come to who is willing to dive bomb turn one and pit timing and speed. I have already guessed its going to be a dp win,or maybe as others have posted an esm win just because they're title sponsor.and I don't thin gtlm will be anywhere near top five overall.

Anyways I'm off to long beach!!
Old 11 Apr 2014, 01:13 (Ref:3390941)   #6380
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Already at my hotel waiting! Can't wait for the (early) morning session.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 01:35 (Ref:3390943)   #6381
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't forget that there is still time to enter the Fantasy Racing Challenge for Long Beach:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...14#post3390814
Old 11 Apr 2014, 11:17 (Ref:3391032)   #6382
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh, how I wish they would stream practice. Cars will be on track soon and I won't have anything but T&S .... not even qualifying?? Come on guys, the cameras are there! Is bandwidth for the ten thousand who might tune in all that expensive for NASCAR's tight budget?
Old 11 Apr 2014, 11:49 (Ref:3391039)   #6383
Disraeli Eers
Racer

United States
Parkersburg, WV
Disraeli Eers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDisraeli Eers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Oh, how I wish they would stream practice. Cars will be on track soon and I won't have anything but T&S .... not even qualifying?? Come on guys, the cameras are there! Is bandwidth for the ten thousand who might tune in all that expensive for NASCAR's tight budget?
Agreed! I'm off work today and would love to stream all the action (for all series) today at LB but can't. I would even watch ads for the ability haha.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 12:14 (Ref:3391050)   #6384
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On another note....

Jeff Braun has officially resigned from Level 5 citing, due to a lack of "pro" programs.

Seeing as he was the head engineer for the whole smash, I'd say Level 5 is pretty much done with anything above club level.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 11 Apr 2014, 12:27 (Ref:3391054)   #6385
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So ... DPs beat P2s at tracks with long straights, and at short point-and-squirt tracks. Where do P2s have an edge? Tracks with short straights and lots of high-speed corners? Any on the schedule?

The BoP was really close at Sebring, but BoP aside, if in an actual race situation the DPs simply cannot be beat (blocking P2s in slow corners and getting away on torque/power, gapping them on the straights with power, dropping them on restarts with torque/power) then why would anyone race a P2?

Theory is great but reality is real.

I know the Oak Morgan-Nissan was eating up the DPs in the West Horseshoe at Daytona, but did a P2 ever lead a lap except for pit-stop rotation?

P2 owners have to be practical, because they are in business. Sponsors don't pay for "theoretical" publicity.

As for GTD-into-GT3 ... I think the Porsche America owners might complain,. I think All the GTLM owners--and their factories--might complain too.
We'll know soon enough if Muscle Milk, Dyson and any other European teams come back for next year.

I agree with you, if a P2 can only win on pit strategy and are passed every time there is a restart then why would ANY european team come over to race if they know their chances of winning are minimal?

They wont. They'll stay in the ELMS or the WEC until TUSCC adopts the new prototype regs for 2017 which obsoletes the DP and the current P2.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 12:28 (Ref:3391055)   #6386
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
I wonder why somebody can't go out there with a phone or something and stream it on ustream or somthing.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3391077)   #6387
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
This is what I've been saying! It's all going to come to who is willing to dive bomb turn one and pit timing and speed. I have already guessed its going to be a dp win,or maybe as others have posted an esm win just because they're title sponsor.and I don't thin gtlm will be anywhere near top five overall.

Bear in mind that it would be politically advantageous to IMSA to have a P2 win at this event, in spite of their commitment to DP.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 13:52 (Ref:3391091)   #6388
Maelochs
Veteran

And that simple fact almost poisons a potential P2 win ... really sad, what has happened to sports car racing in North America. Fans (not just conspiracy theorists) handicapping teams based on politics, not performance ...

Well, we'll see.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 14:35 (Ref:3391102)   #6389
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I believe that practice and Qualifying will be streamed live.
http://origin.fanschoice.tv/schedule
Only fixed camera angles, but still pretty cool.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 15:12 (Ref:3391120)   #6390
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
I believe that practice and Qualifying will be streamed live.
http://origin.fanschoice.tv/schedule
Only fixed camera angles, but still pretty cool.
Thanks, I had forgotten about that site.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 15:34 (Ref:3391132)   #6391
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This has to be a joke...the noise is nice, but, thats about it.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 11 Apr 2014, 15:39 (Ref:3391135)   #6392
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Bear in mind that it would be politically advantageous to IMSA to have a P2 win at this event, in spite of their commitment to DP.
Oh I agree completely. It's definitely in their best interests. But it's also in their interests not to give DP's the advantage just because the DP owners had to shell out $$$ to get here.

It FEELS like that is what happened, that because DP cars had to shell out big bucks to be faster than P2 that it's just a given they will have the advantage.

But, if the series wants to attract other prototype owners it's going to be hard to justify even renting a P2 car if you can't win.

I hate to say it, but I think this is going to be the way it is until the new regs come out in 2017. Problem is, next year could be horrific and REALLY embarrassing if P2 owners decided to wait it out. Especially when there are SO many P2 teams overseas that might give it a try if they thought they had a chance.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 15:44 (Ref:3391139)   #6393
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If the P2 doesn't have a chance to win at LB then ESM is going on a 'Leave',will only race at the long races this year...Glen , Petit and only because they sponsor those races.

Also Oak will be gone too if ESM goes on leave.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 15:51 (Ref:3391144)   #6394
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Mogami View Post
If the P2 doesn't have a chance to win at LB then ESM is going on a 'Leave',will only race at the long races this year...Glen , Petit and only because they sponsor those races.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. I doubt ESM would bolt though. They have sponsors they have to contractually live up to which probably means showing up and racing.

The other P2 car owners that don't have to worry about contracts (Dyson, Muscle Milk/Pickett) can sit it out and I'd guess they will except the big races.

We'll see what happens. I'm looking at scoring in practice right now with 50 minutes remaining and the first 4 spots are DP.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 15:54 (Ref:3391146)   #6395
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Mogami View Post

If ESM or Oak doesn't win this race, both are leaving? That will be a blow to the series.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 15:56 (Ref:3391148)   #6396
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
If ESM or Oak doesn't win this race, both are leaving? That will be a blow to the series.
I think that's just a prediction, not anything official.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 15:59 (Ref:3391152)   #6397
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
I think that's just a prediction, not anything official.
Sorry guys. It just sounded official that they were leaving.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 16:00 (Ref:3391155)   #6398
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
Sorry guys. It just sounded official that they were leaving.
Source? Link?
Old 11 Apr 2014, 16:01 (Ref:3391156)   #6399
Danathar
Racer

I do have to say one thing about the DP's, they do sound cool. Actually, the LMPC cars sound the best though.

I'd imagine the current DP car spec would do pretty well around LeMans (against the P2 cars there). The straights would be VERY DP friendly.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 16:02 (Ref:3391157)   #6400
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
Source? Link?
you are pretty much reading the sources.
Closed Thread