Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 28 Jan 2011, 13:06 (Ref:2821794)   #626
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Summer isn't good if you are a casual fan or a soon to be F1 fan and can find better things to do rather than sit for hours in the oppressive Texas summer sun. And let's face it, the success of this venue will depend a LOT on casual and new fans if they want to this thing to last. The 80,000 they drew at Indy in the final years ain't gonna cut it.

Oh wait, I forgot it is all about Bernie's sanctioning fee for the initial contract...
Old 28 Jan 2011, 23:13 (Ref:2822078)   #627
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uh, summer is definitely best, heat or no heat. Not a soul would show up in the fall. Anyone that thinks F1 will compete favorably with football on a fall weekend is stone cold stupid. The Astros suck, and even though the Rangers had a run, but without Cliff Lee, I doubt anyone will care too much. And the Spurs shouldn't be playing by the time the race happens. Summer is absolutely the most favorable time, and "would-be" F1 fans would be from Austin anyway, so they'll be used to the heat.
Old 1 Mar 2011, 20:57 (Ref:2838675)   #628
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With 20 months to go until the track needs to be ready for inspection, they don't seem to be in much of a hurry in Austin. And as for expanding the two-way country lane that will serve as the main gateway to the track, I haven't seen any news about it. What if they hold a race, but no one can get there in time for the start?

Construction at Austin’s Grand Prix site not 24x7
By John Maher | Monday, February 28, 2011
statesman.com

Promoters of the U.S. Grand Prix have been told to have the track ready to host a Formula One race by June, 2012. They would appear to be on very tight deadline but promoters haven’t pushed the panic button — at least not yet...

Construction at the F1 site southeast of Austin has increased in the past two weeks but it’s more like 12x6, limited to daylight hours with Sundays still a rest day of rest...
Old 1 Mar 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2838691)   #629
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Uh, summer is definitely best, heat or no heat. Not a soul would show up in the fall. Anyone that thinks F1 will compete favorably with football on a fall weekend is stone cold stupid...
I agree completely. From Sept. 1 though the end of November, (American) football is king, especially in Texas, and most everywhere in the U.S. Friday nights are for high school football, Saturdays for college and Sunday for the NFL. No way F1 can compete with that, especially in Texas.

Yet, race promoter Tavo Hellmund was quoted on Pitpass.com stating that "the best time would be in the fall because the weather is more pleasant then."

I find it hard to believe that Tavo or anyone really believes fall is the best time in terms of fan interest and media exposure. It makes me think that maybe Bernie wants to stick Tavo with a fall date for some reason.
Old 1 Mar 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2838732)   #630
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From a time tabling point of view I would have thought it would make sense to have the race before or after the Canadian GP.
Old 2 Mar 2011, 03:42 (Ref:2838861)   #631
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
From a time tabling point of view I would have thought it would make sense to have the race before or after the Canadian GP.

NASA is not that far away, maybe we should ask them?
Old 2 Mar 2011, 07:27 (Ref:2838900)   #632
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
NASA is not that far away, maybe we should ask them?
Why not.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 01:49 (Ref:2839960)   #633
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spent some time in Austin in 1989 when I drove around the US for 6 months and my memory of it doesn't really make me think of it as a motorsport kind of town. It seemed more of a hippy/hipster kind of place where people would buy Priuses. Somewhere on the east coast with a lot of Italian-americans and latin-americans would be a better choice I would have thought
Old 4 Mar 2011, 05:10 (Ref:2839980)   #634
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotd View Post
I spent some time in Austin in 1989 when I drove around the US for 6 months and my memory of it doesn't really make me think of it as a motorsport kind of town. It seemed more of a hippy/hipster kind of place where people would buy Priuses. Somewhere on the east coast with a lot of Italian-americans and latin-americans would be a better choice I would have thought
That is a good description, and people do drive Priuses, along with big Ford F150 trucks, because of farming and the fact that they just like trucks in this part of the world, plus the usual assortment of other brands..

They also drive Ferrari's and I have seen several Aston Martins recently..

We have a Ferrari dealership in the center of town on North Lamar Blvd, they had one of Michael Schumacher's F1 cars on display...

I reserve judgment about a race coming here, on the one hand I am excited about it, but then I don't want the place ruined either...
Old 7 Mar 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2841453)   #635
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
In case there were any doubts about it, Tavo has officially confirmed that he is Bernie's lap dog:

F1 boss' wet-track idea supported by U.S. race's promoter
By John Maher
AMERICAN-STATESMAN
Friday, March 4, 2011

On Tuesday, Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone floated an idea for making F1 races more exciting use artificial rain to make the tracks slippery.

Such a ploy might break up the too-frequent F1 "parades" where there is very little passing during races, but the idea has drawn more criticism than support.

Ecclestone, however, appears to have found an ally in U.S. Grand Prix promoter Tavo Hellmund, who in a statement Friday called Ecclestone's idea "brilliant" and outlined why he supports it...
Old 7 Mar 2011, 12:40 (Ref:2841460)   #636
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
In case there were any doubts about it, Tavo has officially confirmed that he is Bernie's lap dog:

F1 boss' wet-track idea supported by U.S. race's promoter
By John Maher
AMERICAN-STATESMAN
Friday, March 4, 2011

On Tuesday, Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone floated an idea for making F1 races more exciting use artificial rain to make the tracks slippery.

Such a ploy might break up the too-frequent F1 "parades" where there is very little passing during races, but the idea has drawn more criticism than support.

Ecclestone, however, appears to have found an ally in U.S. Grand Prix promoter Tavo Hellmund, who in a statement Friday called Ecclestone's idea "brilliant" and outlined why he supports it...
Tavo must stand to gain quite a lot from having the GP at Austin, why else would he stick his neck out and support Bernie's crack pot idea?
Old 7 Mar 2011, 13:23 (Ref:2841479)   #637
Spritle
Veteran

Tavo should be more concerned about the "F1 parade" that will be Elroy Road!

Besides, with the summer heat in Austin, any water from a sprinkler will evaporate before it hits the track.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 17:43 (Ref:2841631)   #638
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
I agree completely. From Sept. 1 though the end of November, (American) football is king, especially in Texas, and most everywhere in the U.S. Friday nights are for high school football, Saturdays for college and Sunday for the NFL. No way F1 can compete with that, especially in Texas.

Yet, race promoter Tavo Hellmund was quoted on Pitpass.com stating that "the best time would be in the fall because the weather is more pleasant then."

I find it hard to believe that Tavo or anyone really believes fall is the best time in terms of fan interest and media exposure. It makes me think that maybe Bernie wants to stick Tavo with a fall date for some reason.
Luckily pines grow back quickly in Austin.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 15:21 (Ref:2860896)   #639
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
According to The Speed Channel there is going to be a big announcement about the race on April 12th during the show Speed Center...
Old 10 Apr 2011, 05:08 (Ref:2861120)   #640
Oreti kid
Racer

New Zealand
Toowoomba
Oreti kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
According to The Speed Channel there is going to be a big announcement about the race on April 12th during the show Speed Center...
Hi there mate, keep us uptodate eh as this is looking like a trip from down south
Cheers
Old 10 Apr 2011, 15:26 (Ref:2861394)   #641
Spritle
Veteran

I don't get this BIG announcement thing. What is so important it needs a press conference; a delay, cancellation or cash infusion from somebody else?

Or maybe a NASCAR commitment?
Old 10 Apr 2011, 15:32 (Ref:2861398)   #642
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreti kid View Post
Hi there mate, keep us uptodate eh as this is looking like a trip from down south
Cheers

I will do that as much as I can, it's about time I took a trip out to the site to take a look even if at this point it's just going to be a bunch of heavy machinery..

Spritle...I have a feeling it's to do with NASCAR running there as well which makes complete sense..
Old 10 Apr 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2861412)   #643
Spritle
Veteran

Quote:
Spritle...I have a feeling it's to do with NASCAR running there as well which makes complete sense..
On the course as is or on a modified circuit?

Jeez, with 4 cylinders coming to F1 by the time this race gets going, if the Sprint Cup cars do a quicker lap at Austin than the F1 mighty midgets we'll hear the laughter on the other side of the world!
Old 10 Apr 2011, 15:56 (Ref:2861415)   #644
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
No mate same course I would think and why not, I want to see it all!

V8 Super cars as well please... The secret IMHO is not to isolate F1 bring it to the people, they love their racing here..
Old 10 Apr 2011, 16:07 (Ref:2861419)   #645
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I think that Austin should have a facility that can host all types of racing, that would be the smart approach..
Old 10 Apr 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2861441)   #646
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is a NASCAR on the same weekend as F1 just a dream? I'd like the NASCAR boys to see an F1 race live and the F1 boys to see a NASCAR race live.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 16:58 (Ref:2861444)   #647
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Adam I felt a little foolish is a previous post suggesting this idea, but the more I think about it the more I like it..

I would like to see some of the F1 lads having a go in a Sprint Cup Car and visa versa..

F1 *must* make racing in the USA fan friendly..

Last edited by JeremySmith; 10 Apr 2011 at 17:51. Reason: Stutter...
Old 10 Apr 2011, 17:20 (Ref:2861457)   #648
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post

Jeez, with 4 cylinders coming to F1 by the time this race gets going, if the Sprint Cup cars do a quicker lap at Austin than the F1 mighty midgets we'll hear the laughter on the other side of the world!
Yes because a car with THREE times the weight and comparable power which, in terms of modern technology would be put to shame by a dinosaur, is going to lap quicker than an F1 car!!
Old 10 Apr 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2861502)   #649
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post

I'm sorry, I'm not going to dignify that with a response. A S2000 WTCC car would probably be able to keep up with a Sprint Cup car on a road course.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 19:21 (Ref:2861507)   #650
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
F1 *must* make racing in the USA fan friendly..
Marketable and fan friendly.