Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 22 Apr 2014, 20:57 (Ref:3396920)   #6676
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Teams are not allowed to modify their cars under ACO P2 regs. Only the constructors can do that once a year and even that only at a fixed price and to improve safety and reliability, but not performance.
I think it was allowed a performance kit if the price was below 50.000 euros.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 21:01 (Ref:3396923)   #6677
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I am pretty sure you can't. I'm on the phone right now, thoug, so I can't look it up. Will do so tomorrow.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 22:57 (Ref:3396976)   #6678
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
We now know what TUSCC,IMSA(NASCAR) wants for the Top Class in Sports Car Racing in 2017.

The same as it is in Sprint Cup but with a CF Tub instead of a Steel Tube Frame with a production base engine.

In their eyes it works there so it should work in Endurance racing.

They just want marketing bodies(Corvette,Mustang,Viper,612,GT-R,650S,SL,R8) on a CF Tub.

Isn't that so 80's early 90's and earlier thinking?

And thats why there is GT3/GTE if you want to race a Corvette!

NASCAR is just thinking about the $$$$$$$$$
Just turning the series into a marketing platform for auto manufactures.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 23:12 (Ref:3396980)   #6679
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Mogami View Post
We now know what TUSCC,IMSA(NASCAR) wants for the Top Class in Sports Car Racing in 2017.

The same as it is in Sprint Cup but with a CF Tub instead of a Steel Tube Frame with a production base engine.

They just want marketing bodies(Corvette,Mustang,Viper,612,GT-R,650S,SL,R8) on a CF Tub.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/10296...totype-chassis
This news is gutting.
A common spec chassis, with brand specific "decorations" and different engines.

The 2017 P2 car will be dreadful! What are they thinking?
Old 22 Apr 2014, 23:41 (Ref:3396983)   #6680
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Hmm, you're seeming to forget the ACO and FiA are in on this as well, so the "blame" isn't a TUSC thing...as a matter of fact, the manufactures have wanted the ACO to have more road-resembling P-cars for the past few years.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 23:47 (Ref:3396988)   #6681
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Hmm, you're seeming to forget the ACO and FiA are in on this as well, so the "blame" isn't a TUSC thing...as a matter of fact, the manufactures have wanted the ACO to have more road-resembling P-cars for the past few years.
I don't care who's idea it is.
A LMPC style spec chassis, with different engines and different "body kits" is a terrible direction to take sports prototype race cars.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 23:48 (Ref:3396992)   #6682
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Also, they're not using the word "spec" as in everything the same. They're using it in the form of the full word, "specifications."

Kinda like there are two different specs for P1 at the moment, LMP1-H, and LMP1-L.

They are built to current LMP1 spec.

Last edited by Matt; 22 Apr 2014 at 23:55.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 23:56 (Ref:3396994)   #6683
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Also, they're not using the word "spec" as in everything the same. They're using it in the form of the full word, "specifications."

Kinda like there are two different specs for P1 at the moment, LMP1-H, and LMP1-L.
The way the article reads, suggests that they do mean a common spec chassis such as INDYCAR uses, with body kits allowed.

Quote:
The concept, which is in its formative stages, would provide a single chassis that would accept a variety of engines and possibly body styles that would do away with the separate P2 and DP cars that form the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship's Prototype class.
I sincerely hope that I am wrong.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 00:02 (Ref:3396995)   #6684
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
I read it as having to have one specification of car to run, instead of the current two(DP/P2) in the American series.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 00:10 (Ref:3396998)   #6685
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
From Racer.
Quote:
Based on Elkins' description, it sounds like the new chassis could fall somewhere within the existing P2 chassis regulations. "We know it's going to be a closed-top car, we know it's going to be a carbon chassis," he added. "The way I described what I'm hoping it will be is if we could take a monocoque from a P2 car and drop a Corvette DP type of body on it
This part of the article suggests to me, that only one fully spec chassis will be allowed.
Otherwise, there is no real difference to the current P2 rules.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 00:36 (Ref:3397004)   #6686
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
I'm all for manufacturer participation with a modern distribution and support system for their products (racecars) that look like their road-going counterparts. I also think they should be using their own designed and manufactured engine, chassis, suspension, etc. that are similar to their production models.

I am especially interested in seeing the level of technology, innovativeness and efficiency of the WEC Hybrids racing again in America.

And, I want to see the American manufactures step up to the level of Audi, Toyota and Porsche while doing so and compete and win.

I know it's a lot to ask, but, hey...
Old 23 Apr 2014, 00:38 (Ref:3397005)   #6687
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
More from the Racer article.
Quote:
"The concept right now, from a philosophical standpoint, not necessarily construction, is kind of like what you have with the DTM," Elkins explained. "It's creating a design and allowing a bunch of people to build it under an open market kind of model
I'm not very up on current DTM rules.
Doesn't DTM use one fully spec chassis?
Old 23 Apr 2014, 00:43 (Ref:3397006)   #6688
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
I'm all for manufacturer participation with a modern distribution and support system for their products (racecars) that look like their road-going counterparts. I also think they should be using their own designed and manufactured engine, chassis, suspension, etc. that are similar to their production models.
Sportscar GT racing provides a great place for manufacturers to show off their products.
Perhaps IMSA should just eliminate the prototype class and let the GTLM class be the main show.

SCCA World Challenge is looking better all the time.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 01:12 (Ref:3397008)   #6689
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
I don't care who's idea it is.
A LMPC style spec chassis, with different engines and different "body kits" is a terrible direction to take sports prototype race cars.
Sounds like LMP2 IndyCar
Old 23 Apr 2014, 01:12 (Ref:3397009)   #6690
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
Sportscar GT racing provides a great place for manufacturers to show off their products.
Perhaps IMSA should just eliminate the prototype class and let the GTLM class be the main show.

SCCA World Challenge is looking better all the time.
A GTLM only TUSCC would not upset me.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 01:41 (Ref:3397012)   #6691
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
It would me. Why do we have to take steps backwards in automotive technology and away from prototypes when we have so many technological skills and resources?
Old 23 Apr 2014, 01:47 (Ref:3397016)   #6692
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
Having a grid of approximately 10 cars isn't the best way to attract people.

Also, getting rid of the multi-class component of sports car racing is a major step backwards.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 01:56 (Ref:3397019)   #6693
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Having a grid of approximately 10 cars isn't the best way to attract people.

Also, getting rid of the multi-class component of sports car racing is a major step backwards.
A class of 10 prototypes is a dream class. I've seen three or four prototypes attract huge crowds while a big field of other classes could not attract a crowd. Just look at the ALMS vs. GA crowds.

That was a marketing lesson that appears to have been missed.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 01:57 (Ref:3397020)   #6694
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That was my first take as well, but upon further review Elkins seems to be playing for a spec chassis with different engine and body configurations available. But as you mention, this in the the early stages and they are in talks with the ACO/FIA. They may want to keep the same basic configurations the new P2 coupes (Dome, Ligier, HPD, Oreca) are employing in the coming year and IMSA would have to decide how to proceed - alone or as a part of a more widely used platform.

As mentioned in the Racer article, Elkins wants something to slot into current P2 regs, but I ask why invent a new spec chassis when there are already off the shelf options? To help Riley, Coyote and Dallara? I'm pretty sure they could easily design and build a P2 chassis if they so desired. Am I missing something?
Old 23 Apr 2014, 03:06 (Ref:3397034)   #6695
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RE: Withdrawals
Think about it folks. ESM was rumoured to be leaving from several sources then all of a sudden a press release offensive from them about how they are committed to the series but are looking at options as they do not feel the playing field is level??? In other words, tried to pull out but were politely informed there are sponsorship contracts in place with the series for the season, hence the airing of their grievances through the sportscar media channels. Oh to be a fly on the wall in Daytona….

I spoke to a contact at OAK at Long Beach and AT THAT TIME they said they were committed to the season and the championship was the goal. Plus they are trying to sell cars for the future. I asked if the continued under-performance might jeopardize Yacaman's funding and the answer was no. I asked if they wished they could run the Michelins, there was just a wry smile...
Old 23 Apr 2014, 04:02 (Ref:3397042)   #6696
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/mi...-for-monterey/
Who knows what a "minor reduction in power" means to IMSA
Old 23 Apr 2014, 04:18 (Ref:3397044)   #6697
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I heard from a little birdie,who isn't too happy about the BOP but can't do nothing about it!

That IMSA has a gun stuck to their heads about doing the right thing with BOP after all the money the DP teams spent to upgrade their rides.The DP camp and their backers(GM and Ford) told them they would leave the series if IMSA takes away the DP advantage(the 150hp).

So behind doors at the moment,IMSA is trying(begging) for a reduction of 20-30hp from the DP for LS!
Old 23 Apr 2014, 04:26 (Ref:3397046)   #6698
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Wonder if any gte... or LM bop is in store? I bet 10-15hp reduction max for DP. That probably wont mean much. I wonder if theyll go by reduction in rpm or restrictor size?
Old 23 Apr 2014, 04:44 (Ref:3397047)   #6699
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I heard from a little birdie,who isn't too happy about the BOP but can't do nothing about it!

That IMSA has a gun stuck to their heads about doing the right thing with BOP after all the money the DP teams spent to upgrade their rides.The DP camp and their backers(GM and Ford) told them they would leave the series if IMSA takes away the DP advantage(the 150hp).

So behind doors at the moment,IMSA is trying(begging) for a reduction of 20-30hp from the DP for LS!
That's the feeling I was getting, with how Elkins keeps repeating manufacturers over and over and several times through out the article.really what manufacturers?! Theres really only two in the P class ford and Chevy! It's obvious especially with fords two wins out of nowhere when it appeared they were going to need more development after daytona,and that ford guy that blabs on and on about the ecoboost before every races,I swear I'm tired of hearing that guy and the damn ecoboost.if it's that great then he can come do every recall on the 1.6 ecoboost that i have to do!
Old 23 Apr 2014, 04:48 (Ref:3397048)   #6700
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

If they can't do that, then speed up the P2. How hard is this, I'm taking all of minutes to think about it and write it. Yeesh.
Closed Thread