Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Jun 2015, 10:02 (Ref:3552973)   #6926
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Why why does Renault continue to play games with the F1 program. This is the perfect exit opportunity and straight to Le Mans.
There were certainly people well placed to be 'in the know' at Le Mans who believed a Renault LMP1 announcement was imminent, under the Alpine brand name. That said, I am not convinced a big budget LMP1 factory effort could be justified under anything other than the Renault name, should such a programme come to fruition.

Last edited by Bentley03; 22 Jun 2015 at 10:09.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 10:56 (Ref:3552990)   #6927
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
There were certainly people well placed to be 'in the know' at Le Mans who believed a Renault LMP1 announcement was imminent, under the Alpine brand name. That said, I am not convinced a big budget LMP1 factory effort could be justified under anything other than the Renault name, should such a programme come to fruition.
I can see the sense in Renault coming to Le Mans, both from the perspective of their troubled F1 programme and in the general appeal of Le Mans / WEC for a manufacturer.

Doing it as an 'Alpine' as chassis identifier but with Renault writ large on the side would serve to establish the Alpine brand, everyone would know it was a Renault (how many of us really remember the 1978 winner as an Alpine?) and thus could be a runner.

Intrigued about how it plays out.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 17:45 (Ref:3553096)   #6928
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Apologies if this has already been picked up and reported previously, but this was news to me....

According to Daily Sportscar, it seems there is a strong link between the proposed SARD 2016 LMP1 programme and Greaves Motorsport exploring the possibility of a 2016 LMP1 programme:

DSC Link
I don't know exactly what happened with SARD and Morand this year, but it seems weird that another team would be so eager to pair up with them. Then again things can change pretty fast if a check arrives
Old 22 Jun 2015, 21:43 (Ref:3553165)   #6929
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A Greaves/SARD P1 team would really be something the fans could get behind and a great rival for Rebellion.

Have to admit I don't really understand the Kairos thing and I don't think I'm the only one apprehensive about that tie-up. But I guess ultimately it's probably their money which is the key to any P1 discussion.

Good luck to them I hope it all comes together. But as for that, Alpine, and really any privateer P1 effort. History has told me not to believe it until I see it on track.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 22:53 (Ref:3553181)   #6930
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I don't know exactly what happened with SARD and Morand this year, but it seems weird that another team would be so eager to pair up with them. Then again things can change pretty fast if a check arrives
It goes to the other/business side of Greaves and Sard.

Team Greaves/Sard in an Renault powered Alpine Baged Gibson built P-1......

L.P.

Old 23 Jun 2015, 06:06 (Ref:3553234)   #6931
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/ite...=1&limitstart=
Quote:
In a growing tradition, the Mazda-to-P1 rumor has become an annual item that circulated the paddock. A P1 announcement was said to be in the works at Le Mans...it never happened.
"The" P1 rumor has been finally found?
Old 23 Jun 2015, 13:04 (Ref:3553322)   #6932
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
ISC (Nascar) to take over runnings at Laguna Seca?

http://www.montereyherald.com/sports...guna-seca-deal
Old 23 Jun 2015, 13:57 (Ref:3553340)   #6933
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/ite...=1&limitstart=

"The" P1 rumor has been finally found?
He mentions the Mazda thing but I think the P1 announcement is unrelated.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 15:04 (Ref:3553360)   #6934
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
After the race, I learned the R18s struggled to get past the halfway point in 24-hour testing, which makes their struggles past halfway in the race less of a surprise.
Considering Audi's dominance of Le Mans and reliability, to hear something like this is shocking.

When manufacturers are pushing the envelope on technology, the cars will get faster and less reliable. I fear that if the ACO reduces the pace next year, reliability won't play as big of a factor because manufacturers won't take as many risks with their designs.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 15:18 (Ref:3553366)   #6935
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
When manufacturers are pushing the envelope on technology, the cars will get faster and less reliable. I fear that if the ACO reduces the pace next year, reliability won't play as big of a factor because manufacturers won't take as many risks with their designs.
The slowdown is probably going to done via reducing the fuel flow and/or energy allocation, makes no difference to "envelope pushing". Everything is of course one year more mature but that would true even without the changes.

Less reliability issues makes for better racing.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 15:30 (Ref:3553371)   #6936
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think Mazda has the money for a P1 effort. They've only just righted themselves after the Ford break up and I would think they would like to shore up their cash reserves before even considering a factory effort.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 16:30 (Ref:3553386)   #6937
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If Mazda had money for LMP1 - even for the 0MJ sub class - they wouldn't have entered USCC with ancient second hand Lola (that they still continue to rely on!), **** engine that didn't make any gains in 18 month period, race operations contract with alright but not that spectacular Speedsource team, almost non existent public relations campaign apart from the diesel marketing, and BoP that hasn't gained massive breaks.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 16:39 (Ref:3553389)   #6938
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Mazda should just focus on the Spec Miata series for now.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 17:09 (Ref:3553391)   #6939
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
+1 on the SPEC MIATA series
Old 23 Jun 2015, 17:14 (Ref:3553393)   #6940
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Mazda NA is probably one of the most active manufacturers in motorsport in the US right now - not at the top pro level but certainly at the lower pro and club racing levels, as referred, Spec Miatas is well known and probably the biggest success in club racing in recent years. They're also heavily involved with the 'road-to-Indy' ladder system for Indycars and have the Playboy MX-5 Cup.

Edit: don't forget the Miatas in CTSC ST class.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 17:41 (Ref:3553399)   #6941
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
We cant confuse Mazda with Mazda NA. Like what was pointed out above. The Speedsource program probably has no relation to headquarters in Japan. They're putting up their own program based in the U.S.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 17:53 (Ref:3553407)   #6942
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes I'm sure unlike the Mazda-Speedsource, Mazda-Mazda () would do fine at Le Mans, like Toyota. But since they are pretty much hiding in the shadows everywhere else except at North America, one naturally turns it head to that department and expects them to be the topic of discussion

Anyway I believe more in Mazda LMP1 than (non HPD) Honda LMP1, as little as that may mean
Old 23 Jun 2015, 18:16 (Ref:3553414)   #6943
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Who know how well they would do, but 'Mazda Japan' probably has more money to spend than 'Speedsource Mazda'. I dont think they'll return any time soon.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 18:29 (Ref:3553419)   #6944
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mazda still seem to be trying to milk PR value out of their '91 victory so it's clearly on their radar. Hopefully they can pull a programme together as they'd be a great addition.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 20:16 (Ref:3553438)   #6945
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mazda can always restart their relationship with AER and rebadge the AER engine and go for the P2 contract.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 20:20 (Ref:3553439)   #6946
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/0...l-to-lmp3.html

Greaves are hoping to move up to LMP1 next year, in a partnership with Kairos Technologies and probably SARD as well. I'd like to see this happen, Rebellion need some real competition. As much as I like how the byKolles team keep trying, they're far from challenging Rebellion, and that's not good for the (sub-)class.
Old 24 Jun 2015, 02:11 (Ref:3553503)   #6947
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
ISC (Nascar) to take over runnings at Laguna Seca?

http://www.montereyherald.com/sports...guna-seca-deal

That's a major bummer! But I knew something was going to happen after losing Moto gp and two other events merging into the Tudor event.the Rolex historics can only support it for so long, even with rennsport coming back this year.

Bummer.
Old 24 Jun 2015, 02:34 (Ref:3553506)   #6948
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think isc managing the track is a bad thing, it didn't say they are buying it. As long as the general feel of the track is maintained and they can bring some new business to the track I'm all for it.
Old 24 Jun 2015, 02:39 (Ref:3553508)   #6949
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as it would be a nightmare, it might be what it takes to keep the gates open.
Old 24 Jun 2015, 03:12 (Ref:3553514)   #6950
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what happens to SCRAMP