Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22 Aug 2011, 00:03 (Ref:2943884)   #676
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It is, but it's not usually for free. Perhaps the poll should have included: 'Watch live by other means' ?

My problem seems to be that I have too many sons at home that like Soccer, Cricket and Golf, etc, much more than they like F1 (usual 'funny looking cars going round and round is boring' type comments). And then there's the wife, who's not really bothered about any of them!

Bernie seems to have admitted to the fact that he will most likely lose some viewers who could only watch F1 on free-to-air telly. But seems to think that he will more than recoup his losses by enticing casual viewers away from other sports who already have the sports channels. Good luck with that one Bernie.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 00:32 (Ref:2943893)   #677
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I am going to vote that it's "all over for me"...

I am somewhat sympathetic, not much just a bit...
Old 22 Aug 2011, 04:33 (Ref:2943942)   #678
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
It is, but it's not usually for free. Perhaps the poll should have included: 'Watch live by other means' ?
You'd be surprised as to how much is free.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 04:36 (Ref:2943945)   #679
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good, you poms have had it easy being on free to air tv. Not to mention you still have MotoGP live as well.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2944019)   #680
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
Good, you poms have had it easy being on free to air tv. Not to mention you still have MotoGP live as well.
Yes, MotoGP 'race' is live on the Beeb. But I much preferred it when it was live on Eurosport. Toby Moody and Julian Rider were, and still are, the best commentary team around.

It's really weird. Everything else is live. The practice sessions for all classes, qualifying sessions for all classes, and all of the race classes are live, except for MotoGP. Really bloody annoying to the point that I would rather wait an hour later and watch the delayed coverage on Eurosport.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 09:35 (Ref:2944032)   #681
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, MotoGP 'race' is live on the Beeb. But I much preferred it when it was live on Eurosport. Toby Moody and Julian Rider were, and still are, the best commentary team around.

It's really weird. Everything else is live. The practice sessions for all classes, qualifying sessions for all classes, and all of the race classes are live, except for MotoGP. Really bloody annoying to the point that I would rather wait an hour later and watch the delayed coverage on Eurosport.
the current commentary team are the best in the world, aside from Leigh Diffey and Martin Brundle
Old 22 Aug 2011, 10:51 (Ref:2944055)   #682
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Isn't this like people who pay for private health care, yet still pay their national insurance?
Usually companies who pay for PHC, so they can get their employees better faster than the NHS can.

And you cannot opt out of national insurance - look on it as paying for that emergency treatment you might need, that isn't covered by PHC.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 12:38 (Ref:2944107)   #683
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post

And you cannot opt out of national insurance - look on it as paying for that emergency treatment you might need, that isn't covered by PHC.
errr, yes i know that, otherwise i'd have done it years ago!
Old 22 Aug 2011, 12:40 (Ref:2944108)   #684
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I don't thinks it's weird, rather a compramise. Eurosport "lost" MotoGP (and all other classes afaik), this was proberbly the agreement. They could have it back, but the BBC show the race live.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 13:29 (Ref:2944132)   #685
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Well, whatever it is. It's crap!

The BBC commentators treat the audience like they could hardly master a push bike, let alone actually own and ride a motorcycle. The Eurosport commentators are well informed, knowledgeable and humorous. Well worth the hour or so delay.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 23:26 (Ref:2944469)   #686
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The BBC commentators treat the audience like they could hardly master a push bike...
Ah, like the ITV F1 coverage...

"These black, round things are called tyres. Lewis uses lots of tyres. Lewis likes tyres. Shall we watch Lewis going through all his tyres? Isn't he awesome? We all love Lewis!"
Old 22 Aug 2011, 23:38 (Ref:2944471)   #687
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post

"These black, round things are called tyres. Lewis uses lots of tyres. Lewis likes tyres. Shall we watch Lewis going through all his tyres? Isn't he awesome? We all love Lewis!"
That reminds of Playschool; let's see what's through the round window, it's a racing car.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2944694)   #688
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post

I think that Marbot was referring to Charlie Cox and Steve Parrish, BBC's MotoGP commentators.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2944755)   #689
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes I know that. I was just comparing it to a standard of coverage that really does treat the viewer like an idiot. Same goes for all ITV Sport - it took me five whole minutes of Community Shield highlights before my first bout of shouting at the tv this season. Mindless jingoism peppered with the most banal 'expert' comments imaginable.

Actually, I like the BBC MotoGP coverage, especially for its humour, but then I can't ride a motorbike.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2944758)   #690
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ITV know their audience.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 10:08 (Ref:2945034)   #691
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
errr, yes i know that, otherwise i'd have done it years ago!
Well, as long as you never use a casualty department, (or any of the multitude of bits of the NHS that PHC doesn't cover) why not!

From my own POV, I'm glad I've paid NI, I've certainly got my monies worth! And thanks for your contribution too, that probably paid for my colonoscopy!
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2945103)   #692
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post

From my own POV, I'm glad I've paid NI, I've certainly got my monies worth! And thanks for your contribution too, that probably paid for my colonoscopy!
Glad i could be of help
Old 25 Aug 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2945924)   #693
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Roebuck in Motorsport talks about this. There are some good comments from Lauda, who says it is a shame because the BBC coverage is so good.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 23:47 (Ref:2946009)   #694
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Murray Walker has a good take on this situation among many other things..

http://www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk/...murray-walker/
Old 26 Aug 2011, 00:27 (Ref:2946023)   #695
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I'm listening to the Murray Walker interview now.

I think what Nigel Roebuck says is likely to be correct, i.e. that the Sky commentary team won't be as good.

My instinct is to say that I will make whatever financial juggling is necessary to be able to watch all the races live, because nothing beats that, but I may yet decide, when the decision has to be made, to stick with the known quantity of the BBC.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 02:08 (Ref:2946049)   #696
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I'm listening to the Murray Walker interview now.

I think what Nigel Roebuck says is likely to be correct, i.e. that the Sky commentary team won't be as good.

My instinct is to say that I will make whatever financial juggling is necessary to be able to watch all the races live, because nothing beats that, but I may yet decide, when the decision has to be made, to stick with the known quantity of the BBC.
There are always those unsanctioned feeds on line, or so I've heard.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 23:08 (Ref:2946652)   #697
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The Motorsport editorial also suggested that the coverage on sky might be aimed at the enthusiast not at the casual. .???
That was in the magazine you pay for rather than the free podcast.

Last edited by Adam43; 27 Aug 2011 at 08:48.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 23:26 (Ref:2946656)   #698
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I have to admit that that Sky Go is another attraction. I can already watch Sky News on my iPad FOC and that's quite useful at times.

The other point that came out of that podcast that I didn't know was that Sky covered all four days of the golf Masters at Atlanta this year and the BBC came in for the last 2 days. Mind you, I never take much notice of the first 2 days.
Old 27 Aug 2011, 00:38 (Ref:2946667)   #699
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I have to admit that that Sky Go is another attraction. I can already watch Sky News on my iPad FOC and that's quite useful at times.

The other point that came out of that podcast that I didn't know was that Sky covered all four days of the golf Masters at Atlanta this year and the BBC came in for the last 2 days. Mind you, I never take much notice of the first 2 days.
My grandfather always said golf ruins a good walk.
Old 27 Aug 2011, 13:51 (Ref:2946810)   #700
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
BBC cut post-qualifying interviews short to go to Rugby! Shock Horror!
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky