4 12 15.19%
3 7 8.86%
2 7 8.86%
1 10 12.66%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 Jun 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2477712)   #51
chris bailey
Racer

chris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridchris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think most of the comments on this thread are, to say the least, unappreciative of what they were watching. As a race, this wouldn't win any prizes. But, to see Formula One cars (especially from the in-car perspective) pulling 5g in a corner, and changing direction as if the laws of physics have been suspended, should be enough for anyone. Moreover, what we're seeing this season, in the shape of Brawn GP, is the stuff of future legend. You will all be able to say, in years to come; "I saw that happen in 2009". That's why I shall be at Silverstone. To witness something truly remarkable.
Old 8 Jun 2009, 16:04 (Ref:2477758)   #52
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am another 5 voter because the race, as such, was boring I agree, it is the achievement that is interesting as I have said before on other threads, new questions for the engineers who manage to come up with answers that give us 16 car/driver combinations capable of lapping within 8 tenths over 3.316 miles.

Not sure where we go now after the OWG came up with this formula, what is next, remove all wings, run with 150mm ground clearance, both?

F3 has been rather processional for 20 years and I am not sure where to find a good formula that has plenty of overtaking once we get away from karting or FF.

As a technical challenge F1 is interesting, as a race format, somewhat predictable after qualifying is over
Old 8 Jun 2009, 16:27 (Ref:2477766)   #53
chris bailey
Racer

chris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridchris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Take away the front wing entirely and allow some mild underbody aero. The rear wing would end up smaller and you'd have a reasonably stable vehicle that would run in another car's slipstream without too much trouble. Watch Indycar superspeedway races to see how it's done...........
Old 8 Jun 2009, 16:58 (Ref:2477781)   #54
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hooray at long last some comments with thought and reasoning behind them, other than just boring and snoozefest. I too notice the crowds are a bit thin, four years ago BE was pronouncing he wanted to look after spectators interests! whilst advocating circuits like Turkey, Singapore and featureless expanses of desert, oh for the return of Dingle Dell, Spa as it was and the Ring, The downhill sweeping curves of Solitude that will sort the men from the boys, even Woodcote as it was. The return of circuits with some background interest will make for interesting racing.
Old 8 Jun 2009, 17:45 (Ref:2477807)   #55
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
I too notice the crowds are a bit thin, four years ago BE was pronouncing he wanted to look after spectators interests!
He's given them more leg-room....peasants!

Apparently Bernie has put a scheme into action called 'Sponsor a cardboard cut-out'.
Old 8 Jun 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2477915)   #56
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
He's given them more leg-room....peasants!

Apparently Bernie has put a scheme into action called 'Sponsor a cardboard cut-out'.
BE has no respect for anyone bar BE, he and Mr. Mosley between them are in the main responsble for the current state of F1.
Old 8 Jun 2009, 20:19 (Ref:2477916)   #57
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Or one word: Hamilton.

Most tickets sold before Button came to the fore, so people would be going along to support Hamilton, who, when they bought the tickets, would have been expecting him to be at the front.
Yes - that makes sense.
Old 8 Jun 2009, 23:50 (Ref:2478018)   #58
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
I am another 5 voter because the race, as such, was boring I agree, it is the achievement that is interesting as I have said before on other threads, new questions for the engineers who manage to come up with answers that give us 16 car/driver combinations capable of lapping within 8 tenths over 3.316 miles.

Not sure where we go now after the OWG came up with this formula, what is next, remove all wings, run with 150mm ground clearance, both?

F3 has been rather processional for 20 years and I am not sure where to find a good formula that has plenty of overtaking once we get away from karting or FF.

As a technical challenge F1 is interesting, as a race format, somewhat predictable after qualifying is over
I would be rather interested to see them put a F1 engine in a GP2 chassis..
Old 9 Jun 2009, 00:13 (Ref:2478027)   #59
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
BE has no respect for anyone bar BE, he and Mr. Mosley between them are in the main responsble for the current state of F1.
I have no doubt that you are right,and maybe they would rather see it die than leave it to anyone else when they are no longer around.
Old 9 Jun 2009, 00:16 (Ref:2478029)   #60
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I would be rather interested to see them put a F1 engine in a GP2 chassis..
You'd pay to see that wouldn't you!
Old 9 Jun 2009, 00:25 (Ref:2478035)   #61
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
You'd pay to see that wouldn't you!

Well you know Martyn at this point I would...
Old 9 Jun 2009, 04:15 (Ref:2478095)   #62
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We got stuck with Fox Broadcasting airing the race, but they at least didn't try to replace the usual announcers like they did before. I gave it a seven, probably gone higher if Vettel would have been given the green light towards the end.
Old 9 Jun 2009, 18:23 (Ref:2478558)   #63
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6 for me, nothing special but nothing terrible either. If people think this season's boring, the solution is simple, don't watch! Anyway, here's hoping for an exciting Silverstone, partly saying that because i'll be there (all 3 days!)
Old 9 Jun 2009, 20:41 (Ref:2478679)   #64
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris bailey View Post
I think most of the comments on this thread are, to say the least, unappreciative of what they were watching. As a race, this wouldn't win any prizes. But, to see Formula One cars (especially from the in-car perspective) pulling 5g in a corner, and changing direction as if the laws of physics have been suspended, should be enough for anyone. Moreover, what we're seeing this season, in the shape of Brawn GP, is the stuff of future legend. You will all be able to say, in years to come; "I saw that happen in 2009". That's why I shall be at Silverstone. To witness something truly remarkable.
Are you suggesting that every race should be a 10 because the cars do what they always do?! The poll is about rating the race, and the race was seriously uninspiring.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 9 Jun 2009, 23:09 (Ref:2478771)   #65
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusonpole View Post
Or is it governments give the people something of what the government want to give them rather than what they want?

You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment .....
Old 10 Jun 2009, 04:19 (Ref:2478875)   #66
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great job by Button but getting predictable and I switched off halfway once Webber was firmly on the podium. However, previous races this year despite Button running away with it had some good dices down the field which were captured on TV but this race either had none of that or failed to show any of it. That made it a 5 for me.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 06:45 (Ref:2478904)   #67
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment .....
Ahhh..a politician's answer.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 09:17 (Ref:2478995)   #68
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I was disappointed, to say the least. I'd hyped this one to friends because I really felt this would be a great race, which, unfortunately we was denied of. Desperately wanted to see a battle between Button and Vettel, but he couldn't get close enough. Some of the battles were pretty good, but either didn't get enough air time, or were over very quickly. It seems asthough the teams have already got their head around the aero regs and have bolted so much rubbish on to them that they look about the same as last year, overtaking wise. Very much a shame...

DITCH THE WINGS

Selby
Old 10 Jun 2009, 11:33 (Ref:2479066)   #69
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You cannot question the intelligence of these people, but their sense (or possible alterior motives) must be questioned Dan, when you see time and time again them talking about making the cars overtake easier, and then them changing tiny things. It needs drastic aero cuts, and they NEVER go as far as they should.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 11:43 (Ref:2479074)   #70
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Last edited by Born Racer; 10 Jun 2009 at 11:44. Reason: Posted in wrong thread
Old 10 Jun 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2479078)   #71
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Spot on. I mean for us as fans, die hard fans, we noticed that the cars looked significantly different. For the casual fan, they probably didn't look too different, in fairness.

What we need is serious changes, but it won't happen for as long as teams complain of constant rule changes. It's no win.

Selby
Old 10 Jun 2009, 12:08 (Ref:2479090)   #72
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think even if we had "serious changes", it wouldn't make that much of a difference. I don't think the cars have much to do with the lack of overtaking at all - I think it's got more to do with drivers getting better and making less mistakes, refuelling/pit stops and the performance differential between the cars being far less. Races have also become less interesting because of the cars' bullet proof reliability

On the cars' side, I believe the theory is that the dirty air thing is all related to getting rid of ground effect and has been a "problem" since then. So I just don't think it's going to be solved and I don't think they should try to solve it anymore than they have done
Old 11 Jun 2009, 05:58 (Ref:2479820)   #73
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
firstly, i just watched the race last night (though i'd already snuck a peek on here to see if it was worth watching), and i admit i was thinking i would be watching one of the most bland gps in history, only to find out the race actually wasnt that bad at all. Nothing great, but certainly not the worst this season let alone as bad as many people have made out...

Whilst button won again which rendered the remainder of the season looking pretty drab, apart from that there were battles for the lead, there was a fast car trying to slice through the pack, there was plenty of good racing further down the order. All in all, not a great race, but i thought it was at least worthy of a 5...

Maybe that just goes to show if you expect drollery, then you will be pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I think even if we had "serious changes", it wouldn't make that much of a difference. I don't think the cars have much to do with the lack of overtaking at all - I think it's got more to do with drivers getting better and making less mistakes, refuelling/pit stops and the performance differential between the cars being far less. Races have also become less interesting because of the cars' bullet proof reliability

On the cars' side, I believe the theory is that the dirty air thing is all related to getting rid of ground effect and has been a "problem" since then. So I just don't think it's going to be solved and I don't think they should try to solve it anymore than they have done
i totally agree.

i was thinking as i was watching (after piquet fell off the road to the slightest bit of pressure applied by barrichello) that the only thing missing for f1 to become more entertaining to watch such as 'lesser' series ie gp2, is really the amount of mistakes that drivers make. It is very rare for the lead driver to make even slight errors and allow the following driver to construct an attack.

The best bet for f1 would be to get them to either race in erratic cars, which come in and out of form (such as what happens occasionally with the current 'option tyres') or to put amateurs in the f1 machinery. The only time the current crop of drivers look anything like amateurs and therefore become entertaining, is, as we all know - in the wet.