Hesketh
Racer

Hesketh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
boring 4/10
Old 7 Apr 2008, 17:22 (Ref:2172487)   #52
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP
Bloody Tilke...
I've had course to speak to Tilke's company over the last few weeks, and say what you like about his race circuits, his staff are unfailingly polite!
Old 7 Apr 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2172498)   #53
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
I've had course to speak to Tilke's company over the last few weeks, and say what you like about his race circuits, his staff are unfailingly polite!
So he's modelled his tracks on his staff then hasn't he.
Old 7 Apr 2008, 19:48 (Ref:2172593)   #54
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If people want to vote "0" then surely they're just as well not to vote, as zero is literally nothing at all... :-S
Old 7 Apr 2008, 21:05 (Ref:2172679)   #55
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
2 out of ten
The lack of race battles is getting worse. If you can't get past now you just hit them out of the way... either they break or you break... if its the former you're making progress but if it's the latter your race is 8888'ed... mind you if you weren't able to get past your race was 8888'ed anyway so in the overall scheme of things does it really matter?

Nah. Its just car racing and there are far more important issues to be concerned about.

Maybe we should all put our energy into solving those first.

That may be a cynical approach but quite frankly unless something positive happens this F1 as entertainment is going nowhere......
Old 7 Apr 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2172704)   #56
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race started exciting and then quickly became dull, that track in Bahrain has one too many slow corners for my liking. I still believe that, apart from Istanbul, the tracks tha produce the best racing are the ones that are 'natural' i.e. follow the lay of the land.
Old 7 Apr 2008, 21:39 (Ref:2172711)   #57
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't wait for the races coming up after the Spanish grand prix personally.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 00:12 (Ref:2172810)   #58
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

To be honest the race track and its facilities look fantastic on TV.. Herman Tilke can design a race track other wise he would not be doing it for a living..

The place just seems as dead as a graveyard, well that is what comes over on TV to me.. In person maybe something else?
Old 8 Apr 2008, 07:53 (Ref:2172923)   #59
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
The actual ribbon of tarmac which forms the track itself may not be the problem.

If Spa was built in the desert, with vast expanses of tarmac replacing the trees, chances are it would lose a lot of its magic.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2172969)   #60
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

If Spa was built in the desert, with vast expanses of tarmac replacing the trees, chances are it would lose a lot of its magic.
Not sure about that.Laguna Seca is tons better than Bahrain!
Old 8 Apr 2008, 11:13 (Ref:2173054)   #61
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6/10 if we take last several years standard. Sorry it became lower
Old 8 Apr 2008, 22:54 (Ref:2173505)   #62
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It was certainly not too enthralling, but it had some things of interest/significance compared to the true non-entity ones.

A 5/10 for me.
Old 9 Apr 2008, 04:40 (Ref:2173598)   #63
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Not sure about that.Laguna Seca is tons better than Bahrain!
Please, please, please give us F1 in Monterey.
Old 9 Apr 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2174021)   #64
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dull except for the first few laps. The problem is clearly not the track, as the GP2 races were great. Again F1 fails to entertain! I gave it a rating of three.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 09:58 (Ref:2175748)   #65
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This 5th edition of the Bahrain GP proved to be quite of a bore after something like 10 laps. It must have been the most boring race there ever, since the place has clearly seen better races, especially the one which was season opener.
I actually think this is one of Tilke's better tracks (the best would be the A1-Ring that's rotting away as we speak, and the worst being the upgraded Hockenheim).
At 3 quarters into the race, I noticed that the TV world feed didn't show us any spectators at all. I know from the track map that there is a main grandstand opposite to the pits, but they didn't even show that. There was no crowd there to cheer the drivers on to do something exciting, so they seemingly just chilled and didn't care. And what's better to do than that when you're in the desert?
Old 13 Apr 2008, 11:36 (Ref:2176352)   #66
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I noted around 90% attendance and there were plenty of people in the stands (there's no open areas anyway).

The main grandstand was sold out.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2176425)   #67
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
I noted around 90% attendance and there were plenty of people in the stands (there's no open areas anyway).

Do they have horse racing before the GP ?

On the 'telly' it just comes across as totally lacking in atmosphere.It's a sort of Magny-cours of the desert.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 14:50 (Ref:2176462)   #68
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

The capacity is around 30,000 I beleieve, is that right Peter?
Old 13 Apr 2008, 15:07 (Ref:2176474)   #69
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
The capacity is around 30,000 I beleieve, is that right Peter?
Not sure I didn't count them. I think it's closer to 60k but I will check.

Martyn. The lack of atmosphere stems from the way it is presented not the circuit itself which looks quite a challenge.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 17:59 (Ref:2176555)   #70
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

Martyn. The lack of atmosphere stems from the way it is presented not the circuit itself which looks quite a challenge.
Yes,it's OK on the X-box too,but even the Hungaroring produces good racing on the X-box.

I wouldn't complain so much,but apparently we are going to get more of the same (desert races) in the not so far away future.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 07:11 (Ref:2176864)   #71
Lazza635
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
Lazza635 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was Great, Ferrari 1 and 2, doesn't get any better than that, for me.
Sometimes I wonder what it is that the viewing public want and have they ever raced themselves and know what it's like to commit to a race program. none of the drivers I ever raced against wanted drama i.e. crashes, just good clean full tilt racing against each other and teams. F1 does that.
People claim the Schumacher years were boring, but I thought it was brilliance in action. Nobody who is winning consideres it boring.
My suggestion, live your dreams, go racing.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 07:44 (Ref:2176887)   #72
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazza635
I thought it was Great, Ferrari 1 and 2, doesn't get any better than that, for me.
Sometimes I wonder what it is that the viewing public want and have they ever raced themselves and know what it's like to commit to a race program. none of the drivers I ever raced against wanted drama i.e. crashes, just good clean full tilt racing against each other and teams. F1 does that.
People claim the Schumacher years were boring, but I thought it was brilliance in action. Nobody who is winning consideres it boring.
My suggestion, live your dreams, go racing.
Yes,it must have been a wonderful race for Ferrari fans.But it is possible to watch a good game of soccer and still see 'your' team lose.Or as I sometimes say: "A bad days fishing is better than a good day at work".

Last edited by Marbot; 14 Apr 2008 at 07:46.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 08:50 (Ref:2176921)   #73
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazza635
Very true, although the problem is that if there's only one guy winning, it's pretty dull for everybody else...

I don't think anybody is saying that for a race to be enjoyable there have to be lots of accidents, but what people do want to see is overtaking - they want to know that the running order after two or three laps isn't going to be the final result. Unfortunately in F1, it is quite often the case that you can switch off after the first few laps and tune in for the end of the race to find that very little, if anything, has changed.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 14 Apr 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2176938)   #74
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4/10...there were better uses for my sunday afternoon but none that i was prepared to do!
Old 19 Apr 2008, 01:59 (Ref:2181073)   #75
CarolK
Racer

United States
Texas
CarolK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
3 - Very dull race. Formula 1 nothing more than a parade. No excitement, no action and simply a lack of racing.
Thanks, you saved me some typing!

Carol