Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jun 2007, 21:55 (Ref:1934440)   #51
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That had to be the worst accident i've seen since i've been watching F1. And it's a huge relief that Robert is ok. Both my wife and my jaw hit the floor for about 10 min in silence after seeing that shunt but it speaks volumes for how far these cars have come in safety. So for that a big kudos to the FIA helping this happen and keeping Robert alive.

Echoing some of the other comments on this site, that accident could have been a LOT worse if he had flown over that concrete barrier which he almost did.

Unreal.

Take Indy off Robert and get well soon, we'll see you in Magny Cours.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 22:25 (Ref:1934464)   #52
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Wow, a sickening shunt wasn't it? Same here Mr V, the room suddenly descended into silence. I must admit I feared the worst for a while, it reminded me of Greg Moore's accident at the time.
Greg moore's accident was what i first thought of to. It very similar. I was watching the race with my parents..my mum had to walk out of the room because of the shock.
Brave, brave man kudos to car safety though . Proves how tough these cars are.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 22:36 (Ref:1934469)   #53
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clears up why it 'looked' like he hit the STR from the other angle (since he seemed to jump at the STR car from the forward angle), but clearly the STR was safely parked behind that mini-wall.

Well, that and Legge's crash last year go into the:
"look at this"

"no injuries at all"
...pile
Old 12 Jun 2007, 02:31 (Ref:1934576)   #54
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I must admit that I did not think Kubica's crash would be fatal - I did not have the same horrific feeling as I did with Burti's Spa crash, where his car disappeared under the tyres.

However, I was sure that he would come away with a few significant injuries, like a broken leg.

These engineers not only defy physics in terms of car performance, but also in terms of safety and strength.

I don't think Robert will be shy at all in his return (whenever that is) - he seems like one of the more nuts guys (meant in the nicest possible way) on the grid.

Last edited by mac; 12 Jun 2007 at 02:36.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 02:59 (Ref:1934602)   #55
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I'd be surprised to see Kubica at Indy. Very surprised indeed.

Wow, a sickening shunt wasn't it? Same here Mr V, the room suddenly descended into silence. I must admit I feared the worst for a while, it reminded me of Greg Moore's accident at the time.

But hell, these cars just impress more and more. Even so, this shows we can't get too complacent, that shunt came out of nothing. A freak accident.

My thoughts exactly....I immediately thought of Greg Moore's accident. I honestly thought the worst. Thank GOD he is okay.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 08:21 (Ref:1934753)   #56
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not only that, but he was sickening close to going over the wall and taking marshals out too. you can see in that youtube clip there is a fence on the wall but it stops a way before the end of the wall. if that's not extended to the very end i'll be amazed. kudos to all involved and the safety of that car - there's no way he should be allowed to race this weekend, but credit to the guy for wanting to
Old 12 Jun 2007, 08:31 (Ref:1934766)   #57
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW have nothing to lose whether its Kubica, Glock or Vettel in the car. He walked out of hospital in no pain, and if he passes the FIA tests on Thursday i think we'll see him competing back at full force.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 08:33 (Ref:1934770)   #58
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Regarding Kubica's inclusion at Indy - Should the decision not be left to medical professionals? I'm sure BMW Sauber / The FIA will ensure that he undergoes a rigororous medical beforehand, and should he be in any way unfit to race, he won't be allowed to. Not being a medical professional myself, and not being in full possesion of the facts regarding his condition, I won't be offering my own diagnosis. Yet many on here, and other forums, are.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 08:39 (Ref:1934774)   #59
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
I'm sure Robert clipped the first wall, you can see it on the TV angle.
Yes, looking at it, definitely, his front rear wheel had been taken off (still attached with tethers though) at the last minute before the main impact.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 09:09 (Ref:1934808)   #60
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Regarding Kubica's inclusion at Indy - Should the decision not be left to medical professionals?
It will be; the severity of the crash dictates Kubica will need to be cleared on Thursday by FIA medical staff.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 09:09 (Ref:1934810)   #61
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3ndula

That's an extraordinary piece of footage. He was very close to hitting that inner wall. The grass will be gone next year.
He did hit both walls!

And, i think Vettel will get the nod if Kubica is unfit- he is the boss's favourite.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 10:00 (Ref:1934861)   #62
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Yet another major accident for which the race was not red flagged.

Shall we just do away with red flagging races now?
Old 12 Jun 2007, 10:08 (Ref:1934868)   #63
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Yet another major accident for which the race was not red flagged.

Why would a red flag have been required? The debris from the crash was cleared fairly swiftly under the short safety car period.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 10:28 (Ref:1934880)   #64
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Had the extraction crew needed to be large enough where the track was completely blocked, it wouldve definately warranted a red flag. The marshalls etc cant put driver extraction and safety second to a clear path for the safety car and train of competitors.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 10:39 (Ref:1934890)   #65
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Had the extraction crew needed to be large enough where the track was completely blocked, it wouldve definately warranted a red flag.
Yes, but the track wasn't blocked, so it didn't warrant a red flag.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 10:42 (Ref:1934893)   #66
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
You cant rule out needing a red flag though as you never know what the circumstances will require
Old 12 Jun 2007, 10:56 (Ref:1934908)   #67
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
You cant rule out needing a red flag though as you never know what the circumstances will require
Who is ruling out a red flag? The use of the red flag is (and should be) determined by the invidual circumstances of the incident. In this case, there was no reason for a Red Flag, in my opinion. In other incidents, a Red Flag may be required.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 11:08 (Ref:1934919)   #68
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Quote:
Who is ruling out a red flag?
Not so much the officialdom, but its purpose is being questioned:

Quote:
Old 12 Jun 2007, 12:04 (Ref:1934976)   #69
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Why would a red flag have been required? The debris from the crash was cleared fairly swiftly under the short safety car period.
10 years ago that same crash would have brought out the red flags almost certainly.

Its only because now the FIA fawns to TV broadcaster schedules that driver safety is put on a lower priority for not wanting to delay the race and run over into other programmes.

When was the last time a race was red flagged, Spa 2001?
Old 12 Jun 2007, 12:11 (Ref:1934983)   #70
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
10 years ago that same crash would have brought out the red flags almost certainly.

Its only because now the FIA fawns to TV broadcaster schedules that driver safety is put on a lower priority for not wanting to delay the race and run over into other programmes.

Yes, but there was no reason to bring out a red flag in Canada. The safety car period dealt with it perfectly. We can't just have red flagged races just because it's what used to happen. Things change. 10 years ago, Robert Kubica would've died in the same accident.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 12:16 (Ref:1934987)   #71
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Compromising driver safety for TV schedules??? Thats a bit far fetched isn't it. That statement is totally ridiculous.

Could you imaging the Champions League footy final NOT having extra time because it would delay Coronation Street.

If the race situation warrents a red flag, they'll do it regardless of TV schedules.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 12:24 (Ref:1934995)   #72
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTraces
Compromising driver safety for TV schedules??? Thats a bit far fetched isn't it. That statement is totally ridiculous.

Could you imaging the Champions League footy final NOT having extra time because it would delay Coronation Street.

If the race situation warrents a red flag, they'll do it regardless of TV schedules.
I'm glad you think so.

However, When Burti had his accident at Spa, the track was totally clear, yet the red flag was brought out, so you can't have it both ways.

Given the severity of Kubica's accident the red flag should have come out immediately. The track was strewn with debris, at least 1 car for sure had to pit for a puncture and who knows if others ran over the debris, hardly safe.

Last edited by Sodemo; 12 Jun 2007 at 12:30.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 12:51 (Ref:1935023)   #73
SteveA
Rookie

SteveA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not likely to happen because there's a 2hr time limit set on the race.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 12:58 (Ref:1935029)   #74
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
Not likely to happen because there's a 2hr time limit set on the race.
Yep, and under current rules the time spent under red flag is in that time. Same affects to other classes as well, have example of DTM opener at Hockenheim, where after Kristensen and others crashed, race was stopped and new race was much shorter one.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 13:36 (Ref:1935050)   #75
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does it really matter now whether the race should have been flagged or not?

When I saw the accident I had the same feeling as most of you.
Seeing that Robert doesn't move, and a bit later, when they were avoiding to show for quite a long time what's going on wit Robert, that couple of minutes before we got the message he's stable which lasted like an eternity, I expected the worse - And at that time I thought: how they can still be racing?

Now I still feel a bit sick whenever I remind that crash, even though Robert says he's fine and willing to come back to the F1 car already in 3 days - Friday.

I' ve just read that he hasn't watched replays yet.
He says it was a big crash and he was very lucky, but I think he doesn't realise how did it looked from outside.

Last edited by koper; 12 Jun 2007 at 13:44.