Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 22 Dec 2000, 23:13 (Ref:53894)   #51
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!

Thanks Liz
Old 24 Dec 2000, 18:07 (Ref:54089)   #52
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pas du probleme

TimD has suggested that we get together at that restaurant on the Mulsanne Straight whose name I cannot spell, on Friday evening before the race kicks off. Want to join us?
Old 24 Dec 2000, 18:09 (Ref:54091)   #53
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Sounds good to me Wonder if any of the rest of the clan who are intending to be trackside would like to join us all ?
Old 24 Dec 2000, 18:41 (Ref:54096)   #54
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are two restaurants on the Mulsanne straight, side by side, and both are open for business during the whole weekend. How close to the Mulsanne straight? Well, you are separated from the racing by a row of cafe tables, a length of armco and a debris net.

That's all. Spit out an olive stone, and you might hit a Panoz.

However, don't imagine that you can blithely roll up and expect to be sitting, relaxing, having a pleasant meal as the cars come zipping past. It is a terribly, terribly popular destination. Getting a reservation during racing hours is astonishingly hard.

But on the Friday night, you do have a fighting chance of a table, there to soak up the race talk and generally get a good blast of atmosphere.

The Restaurant des Hunaudieres is nice, but also expensive. Those on a budget may like to consider its next door neighbour, the Restaurant des 24heures. They are a Chinese restaurant, which somewhat startles the palate if it is expecting French cuisine, but is good, wholesome, and above all reasonably priced. For those whose journey to France is something of an adventure into the unknown, the waiting staff have been heard to serve diners in at least 5 languages!

Best chance of getting a drink whilst getting your eardrums assaulted is on the Thursday night practice session, when the cars go by so quickly that the sonic shock wave ripples the panes of glass in the restaurant windows...
Old 24 Dec 2000, 20:17 (Ref:54118)   #55
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

You would be better off going to the cafe at Tetre Rouge, you can just see the cars going past. But the do have live tv of the race, chilled Stella at normal prices, not the race special prices on the Mulsanne.

Simon
Old 25 Dec 2000, 05:35 (Ref:54159)   #56
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We go for the ambience and the adventure and to rub elbows with people who might get us up close to a race car - so our party will be there! I take it that Tim will bring Diabando and Bluebottle and Hurricane with him.

Perhaps we should consider reservations?
Old 27 Dec 2000, 00:29 (Ref:54359)   #57
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Perhaps we should Are you volunteering again ?
Old 27 Dec 2000, 03:08 (Ref:54382)   #58
Liz
Veteran

Tim can do it. He can spell the name of the place.
Old 27 Dec 2000, 13:56 (Ref:54417)   #59
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can I suggest that with something like this, it's a thing to arrange once we're at trackside? I mean, I don't even know for sure how many I've got in the car for the journey yet, let alone how many will be dining at a specific time.

As the current plan is (for us) to be travelling on the Wednesday, so as to get a prime campsite slot, there should be ample time to peep round the door - armed with a definitive headcount - and go ahead from there.

Don't forget also that Le Mans is several miles round - and it is perfectly feasible that some of the party will find themselves at - say - Tetre Rouge, and decide "stuff it, it's too far" and not show.
Old 27 Dec 2000, 14:02 (Ref:54418)   #60
Liz
Veteran

I'll go along with whatever you think best, old thing, you are the one who has been there before. But we will definitely make it. We'll hitch a ride in the Panoz.
Old 28 Dec 2000, 12:33 (Ref:54556)   #61
Sarah
Rookie

Sarah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz is that with tent rental
Old 28 Dec 2000, 13:45 (Ref:54561)   #62
Liz
Veteran

Sarah, it's an extra 20 if we rent a tent (not each, just total) - did you get a tent for Christmas as you asked for? Of course if it is as hot as last year, we can sleep outside on the ground if we can dodge the fireworks! But it's usually not that hot. Or so I hear.

The 2 hour "condensed highlights" of Le Mans 2000 was on Speedvision last week and reminded me why I am looking forward to going again. Yahoo!
Old 28 Dec 2000, 13:50 (Ref:54563)   #63
Sarah
Rookie

Liz Santa did not bring me a tent for christmas but I will be getting one for my birthday.
Old 28 Dec 2000, 14:12 (Ref:54569)   #64
Liz
Veteran

Good news, I hope it's a nice roomy one!
Old 28 Dec 2000, 15:36 (Ref:54576)   #65
Sarah
Rookie

I am going to try and get one with plenty of room.
Old 28 Dec 2000, 21:51 (Ref:54621)   #66
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah
Liz is that with tent rental
Have I met Mr Rental yet ?
Old 29 Dec 2000, 03:08 (Ref:54664)   #67
Liz
Veteran

Probably not, Craig, he can generally be found somewhere near Tetre Rouge, trying to get someone to go and bring him a cold one so he doesn't have to miss any of the racing.
Old 9 Jan 2001, 22:27 (Ref:57709)   #68
SL
Veteran

I hope everyone has camping tickets arranged.

There is mild panic going on at the Club Arnarge site about camp site tickets.

Past experience has shown that all will get a place in the end, although a few years ago we we did not even apply for tickets until March. Probably because all the ticket agencies have brought up the tickets to sell on at huge mark ups !!

Simon
Old 15 Jan 2001, 16:50 (Ref:58623)   #69
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After much hunting I have found what I was looking for:

Throughout the race the circuit operates a regular shuttle service between the circuit main entrance (by the Motor Museum) and the centre of Le Mans. The service operates every 15 minutes (every 30 minutes between 0230h and 1000h on Sunday). There is also a regular shuttle service between the main entrance and the Mulsanne and Arnage corners. A general admission ticket gives access to these enclosures.

This is off the Page+Moy website, convinced this shuttle bus is free...

Just booked my seats in the Maison Blanche grandstand, I will be there...

Would be interested in some good directions on how to find the restaurants on the Mulsanne and the Tetre Rouge Bar as in 7 years of looking I've never managed to get to either!

RickP
Old 15 Jan 2001, 17:05 (Ref:58625)   #70
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
take the road outside the circuit parallel with the mulsanne - go about a quarter of the way down - turn right - stop just before the fast cars run you over - voila

mind you its been a while since I was last there - the monument to the wright brtohers first flight in europe is also somewhere there
Old 21 Jan 2001, 15:35 (Ref:59637)   #71
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Any updates on the bookings, Liz ? I need to book my holidays tomorrow, and need to know whether it's a definite and if it is, what dates...
Old 24 Jan 2001, 00:31 (Ref:60026)   #72
Liz
Veteran

You should have the quote by now, Mr. A - I trust you will inform the rest of your car team. (If Vader, Lee or Danielsun want copies of the quote, email me and I'll send it over). I have replied that we are collecting the dosh now and asked him if he wants a deposit or if we just send him the whole shot at once. I'll let you know when I find out, but if you are going to send cheques, make them out to Airtrack please. Last year we had to have it paid in full by 6 weeks before the race.

Also have told him we don'r require tents as we are bringing our own.

Finally, there is room for one more in our car if anyone is still seeking a ride. If you're a girl and want to sign on, you will also get invited to a very nice free party on Friday night, thrown by Airtrack. (Guys have to pay.)
Old 24 Jan 2001, 21:44 (Ref:60175)   #73
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Good work Liz - thanks for that!

Why exactly would we want to pay £39 extra for the party ? Think perhaps we'll stay at the tent and crack open the beer

Think i've got the holidays covered at work judging by some comments passed today - but will find out tomorrow as we've been invited to a big meeting at HQ with the big bosses.... hmmm... sounds great fun. Not.
Old 24 Jan 2001, 22:00 (Ref:60182)   #74
SL
Veteran

With £39 you could buy a heck of a lotta beer and have your own party.

Hope the big boss meet is not bad news, we have one on Friday.

Simon
Old 25 Jan 2001, 00:16 (Ref:60209)   #75
Liz
Veteran

We'll let you know if the party is any fun. (Judging by the people we saw last year outside their "club" where we waited for the Mulsanne bus, they attract the kind of people who have no problem dropping large sums of money on parties. But I agree if I had to pay I would not go.

We're still debating the Silverstone testing, as there is some thought of going over early enough to see the scrutineering on Friday.

I don't know if they let you bring beer on an aircraft but if they do, i will bring some Molson Ice. We're going to shop in Dover for groceries and a disposable barbie. Do you guys have a cooler?