Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Dec 2003, 21:31 (Ref:805159)   #51
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Here's hoping the new 7 man TEGA board will be able to control TEGA, and point that business in the direction the owners of the category want to go in....
The question is , do they know which direction they are going in , and in which direction they want to go .

As for the collapse of Cart , it looks like it is inevitable . And as for the IRL not racing overseas , they raced in Japan this year for the first time , taking over an event from the CART championship . So the the precedent has been set . The Surfers event would make a great tv spectacle back home in the US and if the finances were right I think the IRL could be lured here .
Old 5 Dec 2003, 21:35 (Ref:805162)   #52
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quite possibly the IRL cars could come here, but would they be any good on a street circuit anyway? Oval cars traditionally are useless on a left-right circuit.... especially if they dont have a specific, tuneable aero package that could help with downforce on a road course.

Old TC may have lucked into this one...
Old 5 Dec 2003, 21:53 (Ref:805174)   #53
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Gold Coast will not have Supercars as the leading class but because there are a number of people working for Indy on the Coast full time they will keep the spin coming. If Cart fold the race will fold and they will look for another way to promote the Coast.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 22:34 (Ref:805200)   #54
Zinger
Racer

Zinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRL a looking to move to Road Racing about 4 Rounds in 2005. Apparently eyeing Long Beach, Mexico and some Races in Canada, perhaps Gold Coast is on the shopping list.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 23:00 (Ref:805216)   #55
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART may fold, technically, but that won't be the end of it. At the moment it just looks like the OWRS boys are about to get a real bargain.

They won't end up spending anywhere near the US$0.56 a share offer they originally made. And look for the deal to be signed, sealed and delivered before Dec. 25 as well.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 23:55 (Ref:805251)   #56
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so the real christmas present would be a new cart!
I think the V8 race can hold up to not having CART Surfer's is one of the best street course's ever built really-I dunno if F4000holdens will really cut the mustard though, a supertruck race there might, but IRL would be stupid not to fill in this very obvious gap if CART falters
Old 5 Dec 2003, 23:58 (Ref:805254)   #57
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
IRL will not be coming to Surfers Paradise no matter how obvious it seems.

F4000? You must be joking.

I don't think a V8 race would hold up. The locals would not bite their tongue for much longer if they had to put up with a V8's only crowd.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 00:05 (Ref:805259)   #58
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this year more people went for the party and the V8s than for the Champ Cars. I mean, who even follows the series these days?
Old 6 Dec 2003, 00:13 (Ref:805261)   #59
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Not people in your neck of the woods, by the sound of it!
Old 6 Dec 2003, 00:14 (Ref:805262)   #60
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't that more of a reflection on the crowds who go to Indy though?

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 6 Dec 2003, 00:46 (Ref:805289)   #61
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The IRL cars don't interest me at all. The Champ cars are miles better, I even follow Champ cars ahead of F1. If Champ cars go i guess i'll just follow F3.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 02:35 (Ref:805322)   #62
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sure the Champ Cars are interesting, but a lot of people don't give a stuff about them now that the field is filled with nevilles and Paul Tracy... And I can only judge by the number of people who waited around for the CART race, and those who were camped in for the V8s and hanging over the fences...
Old 6 Dec 2003, 03:18 (Ref:805330)   #63
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Crash, something has to be done to revive the series. But the cars still look miles better than the IRL ones.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 05:15 (Ref:805353)   #64
XR08WA
Rookie

Australia
Perth
XR08WA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about formula nippon ?
Old 6 Dec 2003, 05:28 (Ref:805358)   #65
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't kid your self for a second that if the CART boys pull out the V8's won't snap up top billing in a heart beat. Hell they already have equall top billing, and are getting a new purpose built pit facility next year.

I'll go sofar as to say that if CART do pull out, it will be a much better event for it!
Old 6 Dec 2003, 07:01 (Ref:805385)   #66
vortexo
Veteran

vortexo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pete55
The IRL cars don't interest me at all. The Champ cars are miles better, I even follow Champ cars ahead of F1. If Champ cars go i guess i'll just follow F3.
You have not seen an IRL race then.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 07:44 (Ref:805392)   #67
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Gold Coast event has been from the start an open-wheel event. Shouldn't this try to be continued rather than just trying to cash in on the taxi's current popularity?

Why not juggle the date abit, and make it an international Formula 3 event, to tie in the with the Macau and Korean Grands Prix? As has been mentioned before, anything could draw abit of a crowd on the Coast for the parties, couple that with it being a completely different type of meeting (as all the other street races lately have been for touring cars), and the government wouldn't have to tip as much in.

It would be good to see the IRL race there when/if CART/OWRS folds/doesn't start. Either that or maybe a return of the ALMS to Australia.

I really think it would be a shame if the Gold Coast meeting became just a local meeting.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 10:47 (Ref:805441)   #68
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Now your talking!

A late October international F3 event would be great.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 12:13 (Ref:805464)   #69
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If their smart they should make it a international F3 event to assit young Aussie's so they can move on to bigger and better things instead of taxi racing . it could be bigger than Macua or even a F3000 event as part of the world series but it should remain a open wheel event as the main draw card
Old 6 Dec 2003, 13:16 (Ref:805508)   #70
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a good plan actually
Old 6 Dec 2003, 21:50 (Ref:805741)   #71
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F3 sounds great if CART falls over.

Definitely need some premier open wheel class headlining the event.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 22:39 (Ref:805766)   #72
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot of people flipped when they heard the news the other day that OWRS had changed their proposal. Considering the current circumstances CART is in, the new proposal actually gives OWRS more of a chance of succeeding with the buyout, because of the ways the laws in the USA are set up.

Based on what I know, everything will be status quo next year in regards to surfers so I would not worry unless OWRS says goodbye we quit.

IF by some chance CART expired, Formula Nippon would be a better choice than the IRL.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 23:51 (Ref:805808)   #73
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The aim of the Gold Coast event is to get Tourists not just for the race but throughout the year Cart had the sizzle with Paul Newman and Nigal Mansell at differant stages. The numbers have increased because of the promotion and the week long activities. Most people coming away from the event would not be able to tell you who won. I doubt if a formula 3 event could get the same sizzle.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 05:54 (Ref:805865)   #74
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We're going through the same thing for the Molson Indy events in Canada. I just renewed some tickets with a guarantee that if CART is no longer racing there, we'll be offered a refund. Hopefully (and it's looking more likely) there will be an open-wheel racing series next year doing what CART did - and visiting the Surfer's Paradise event in Australia, Molson Indy races in Canada, etc...

However, if it does fail, the IRL won't be taking over any road/street courses until 2005, as they have tested the cars and they are not ready for road/street circuits next year. Even if they were, I'm not sure they'd take the Australian race... of the CART events, the ones mentioned most are Long Beach, Toronto, Elkhart Lake, Laguna Seca and Mid-Ohio. The reason the IRL went to Japan was because the track is owned by Honda, and it was a condition on their competing in the IRL - otherwise, I don't think they would have.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 7 Dec 2003, 08:22 (Ref:805897)   #75
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
The Gold Coast event has been from the start an open-wheel event. Shouldn't this try to be continued rather than just trying to cash in on the taxi's current popularity?

The same could be said of a certain street circuit in Adelaide........