Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 24 Feb 2006, 13:50 (Ref:1530693)   #51
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve

Can you point me to some text that I can use for a dedicated "Go Marshalling" type page on the CTCRC Website?

http://www.classictouringcars.com/index.asp

Thanks

Chris
Old 24 Feb 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1530718)   #52
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Chris, leave it with me and I will sort something out for you over the weekend and e-mail it then.
Old 24 Feb 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1530799)   #53
schomosport
Racer

schomosport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Martyn Bell who is running in this years BTCC will have marshals stickers on his race car and there will be a marshals recruiitment stand in his pit garage..
If you can give me a bit more information on 'marshals stickers' I will bring to the attention of the club of which I am a member (Monoposto). Cars attract a lot of interest in the paddock - if every car caried a 'Have you considered marshalling?' decal that might help to geyt the message across and bring in some new faces. Maybe much of the race going public is simply not aware that all you have to do to become a marshall is want to be one! Yes I know there is training but its a helluva lot easier and cheaper to become a marshall than it is to become a competing driver.
Old 24 Feb 2006, 18:24 (Ref:1530816)   #54
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks, I will see what we have in stock and drop you a PM.
Old 24 Feb 2006, 18:33 (Ref:1530821)   #55
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So you see we are doing things and trying to turn around the situation, as non of us wish to see the alternative scenario come into play. So, if anyone else feels they are able to help in some way, or has other ideas of how we may take this forward, please drop me an e-mail s.c.green@btinternet.com but please be aware that funds are limited and so grandios schemes are a little out of our league.
Bum! does this mean the all expenses paid 'recruiting' trip to Tahiti is now not gonna happen?
Old 24 Feb 2006, 18:52 (Ref:1530835)   #56
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Sorry, Chris Hobson and myself took that one
Old 24 Feb 2006, 18:57 (Ref:1530839)   #57
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
typical. proof that power corrupts, eh?
Old 24 Feb 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1530870)   #58
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schomosport
If you can give me a bit more information on 'marshals stickers'..............Cars attract a lot of interest in the paddock - if every car caried a 'Have you considered marshalling?' decal that might help to geyt the message across ...............
There's a driver in the NWFF (Sorry, forgot his name! ) who's car is bright red and down the full lenghth of both sides it says "If I Wasn't Racing I'd Be Marshalling"

Could you imagine if we could get a BTC to carry that kind of livery, even for just one race? The TV coverage and the paying public! (Especially if it were one of the "Slower" cars - more time to read message!)
Old 24 Feb 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1530890)   #59
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
There's a driver in the NWFF (Sorry, forgot his name! ) who's car is bright red and down the full lenghth of both sides it says "If I Wasn't Racing I'd Be Marshalling"
Steve Jones, aka Stephen Rae.

Quote:
Sorry, Chris Hobson and myself took that one
Hmm.....so who drew the short straw?
Old 24 Feb 2006, 22:24 (Ref:1530981)   #60
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Eric Ridler

Martyn Bell will be carrying marshals stickers on his BTCC car as well.
Old 25 Feb 2006, 01:18 (Ref:1531074)   #61
retro_msport
Racer

England
Harlow
retro_msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stephen... i'll get my lot to run stickers aswell ... and i think as the TRC is sorta based on here, dont think one of the guys in that championship would say no to running with a sticker too...
May be a bit late, but if you check in today (sat) i'll be at Stoneliegh.
Old 25 Feb 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1531196)   #62
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
There will be a marshals club stand at Stoneleigh!!!
Old 25 Feb 2006, 09:35 (Ref:1531235)   #63
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schomosport
.... but its a helluva lot easier and cheaper to become a marshall than it is to become a competing driver.
Wouldn't be too sure about that. The amount of money I've spent marshalling since I stopped racing: , that could have kept me racing for a while.
Old 25 Feb 2006, 23:46 (Ref:1531635)   #64
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
MH said:
Firstly, you do NOT decide what risks you run, that is what the officials do for you. And it is a simple matter of do you want to continue raceing under tighter rules, or do you want your club to go out of existance because the insurance has gone up.
>>>wrong on both counts - I now mostly race in Continental Europe where there's a lot less British disease and a lot less BS. Consequently I get almost double the track time per pound spent, it's usually warmer, the wine's cheaper and the circuit people make us feel welcome, they WANT us to be there and enjoy ourselves. Even the medics are more sensible after one's had an off :-)
Old 26 Feb 2006, 00:04 (Ref:1531645)   #65
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid
I now mostly race in Continental Europe where there's a lot less British disease and a lot less BS. Consequently I get almost double the track time per pound spent, it's usually warmer, the wine's cheaper and the circuit people make us feel welcome, they WANT us to be there and enjoy ourselves. Even the medics are more sensible after one's had an off :-)
I'm really glad!
Old 26 Feb 2006, 00:39 (Ref:1531658)   #66
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
What you glad about, Mark? That he races abroad?
Old 26 Feb 2006, 12:36 (Ref:1531860)   #67
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Even the medics are more sensible after one's had an off

More sensible David, or couldn't give a damn? (ie Spa)
Old 26 Feb 2006, 20:15 (Ref:1532031)   #68
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Eddy, I mean using common sense and judgement rather than applying inflexible rules. They listen to what you say and check you thoroughly before letting you go. I have a suspicion that if I had the same accident in the UK I might have been kept there for hours and maybe even whisked off to hospital overnight 'for observation'.
Old 26 Feb 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1532043)   #69
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Eddy, I mean using common sense and judgement rather than applying inflexible rules. They listen to what you say and check you thoroughly before letting you go. I have a suspicion that if I had the same accident in the UK I might have been kept there for hours and maybe even whisked off to hospital overnight 'for observation'.
Clearly you are an experienced doctor with extensive knowledge of trauma management and the judgement to realise when your senses might be impaired after an incident.

Or do I mean muppet?

Jim
Old 26 Feb 2006, 21:42 (Ref:1532079)   #70
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott

Quote:
I've an invitation then to MGDavid, next time you're racing over here, post the date and race meeting on here and we'll get a load of marshals and medics to turn up and you can tell us face to face that we're crap, which is what you're suggesting, and we can walk away and then you won't race at all!

Your attitude stinks and the sooner you off to the continent for good the better.
Old 26 Feb 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1532094)   #71
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Guys, may I remind you of the forum rules: Attack the post not the poster.

Personally the one thing that would worry me is a lower standard of medical cover than we have here, but if others are happy with that situation, then that's their choice. I don't agree with the comments, but the poster is entitled to his views.
Old 26 Feb 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1532095)   #72
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With respect, if you think that MGDavid's attitude stinks, I'm afraid that yours is little better. It does marshalling no favours. I also think you are reading a lot of things into David's comments that simply are not there.
Old 26 Feb 2006, 22:18 (Ref:1532112)   #73
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Sorry but I have as much right, if not more, to defend my and every other marshal's and medic's professionalism and integrity as he has to criticise it and if I'm out of order in doing so then what does that say.

I agree however that I broke the forum rules in my passionate defence and for that only I will apologise
Old 26 Feb 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1532119)   #74
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Righty ho chaps time to take a breather and count to ten before posting again. Please don't let this thread degenerate into a slanging match as that does no-one any good whatsoever. Whatever we may think, MGDavid is entitled to his opinions and as Wolly said a little earlier, attack the post and not the poster.

Let me reitterate that the reason I posted this hear in the first place was to draw to the attention of all parties within motorsport, the distinct possibility that there may well be a meeting cancelled in the not too distant future due to a lack of volunteer officials. That is the point of this thread, not to discuss the pros and cons of adequate medical cover, the number of marshals trackside in the UK compared with overseas etc.

Either we all stick to the subject matter or I will close the thead. I appreciate that there are some contentious comments from both sides of the arguement, but they stop now or I get the baseball bat out of the cupboard!
Old 26 Feb 2006, 22:32 (Ref:1532124)   #75
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Quote:
..... or I get the baseball bat out of the cupboard!
is that the pink fluffy one

sorry i got a tad heated.