Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Oct 2007, 20:44 (Ref:2037227)   #726
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Pedersen
Hi
It ws my first visit to Spa 6 hours. It was great.
I would like to excuse to all of those I got in the way during the Top Hat race in my white, with red stripe, Cortina GT. We got the rear gearing wrong.

The problem of legal and non-legals cars has been raised here often.
As Eddy writes "they couldn´t care less".
It´s all in the hands of the series promotor (U2TC or Master) to regulate what type of cars (year, cubic, type) they want in their series, and they have to enforce these regulations, by having appointed somebody as their technical scutineering.

Regards
Henrik Pedersen
Cortina GT

Welcome Henrik, I came up behind you and did not experience any blocking ,just a wave past,thank,s for driving responsibly.I was driving Peter Malletts Red and White Capri.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 20:49 (Ref:2037231)   #727
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
not so balck and white guys, six hours is improving and the direction is ok. just some good objectives for next year and some more goals achieved. the tyre thing is good now. the lighting on cars gets better. so whats up for next year?
I agree Esper, Like Goodwood this year, a step in the right direction.

I'm going to build another GT for the 6 hour, a team decision was made last night at board level, a post Spa meeting . . . . , the other 2 board members . . . 1 being in bed asleep (after 7pm, but I have his word) and the other (accountant/) plied with fine French wine, both voted in favour

If I can hang on to the car long enough without selling it!
Old 10 Oct 2007, 20:52 (Ref:2037232)   #728
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Gordon still is at Spa, I will see him this weekend.
As soon as he is back in the UK, he will have a few stories to tell. He told me one when he broke down during practice on the Friday. Can only happen to Gordon to be honest.

One thing I must say: a great group of fun drivers you all are, why can't it be like that all the time?

Old 10 Oct 2007, 20:59 (Ref:2037239)   #729
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Eddy,it was good to meet you at long last and thanks for all your help over these last few months. The Fun factor would be even better if the cheats were kicked out ,but being realistic,that will never happen!!
Old 10 Oct 2007, 21:05 (Ref:2037248)   #730
Cortina Thijs
Rookie

Netherlands
Cortina Thijs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa 6 Hours but really "Five" Hours 2007 merged

Last weekend there a new race serie was launched: The Spa Five Hours!

Last Saturday the main event race should have been started at 4 O'clock, but due to some ugly "polishers" concours of Belgian cars the start was delayed by one hour and they stopped the race at 21:50.

In fact we should get a EUR 400,- refund per team.

Does somebody has a good explanation why this al happened?

Manager Car 51
Old 10 Oct 2007, 21:24 (Ref:2037265)   #731
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple: defilee = lots of money and have people involved who are a tat posh, stiff upper lip and things like that.
So Mr. Delettre and his merry gang do like those people a little bit more than racing drivers.

And Spa has become a bit frightened by the new "curfew". And as they have only been organising for 20 years, they are not able to follow their timetable.

And.......
Old 10 Oct 2007, 21:28 (Ref:2037270)   #732
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Mark Griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe things will be better next year. . . ?
Old 10 Oct 2007, 21:47 (Ref:2037286)   #733
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
don't be so pessimistic Terry, where theres a will theres a way

us younguns can keep the faith!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 04:36 (Ref:2037394)   #734
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Only if they move it into Germany
Old 11 Oct 2007, 05:42 (Ref:2037405)   #735
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
don't be so pessimistic Terry, where theres a will theres a way

us younguns can keep the faith!

Sorry to be pessimistic Zef,I was under the impression that Spa might have followed the Goodwood trend! Perhaps Marcus will have something to say in the press.I agree that there have been improvements with tyres and SOME lighting,I was expecting the trend to continua.I friend was told that there would be no super sticky tyres allowed in Barrys race ,so he put in his entry,what happened!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 07:09 (Ref:2037432)   #736
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Only if they move it into Germany
to turn a 1000 mile race in a foggy 0 mile race. At least thats very good for the cars.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 07:28 (Ref:2037439)   #737
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
maybe they should start at 3 to allow for delays

I was suprised that my race, being only the 2nd or 3rd of the day started 15 minutes late, maybe Johngee could comment as he has a direct comparisson with the HSCC who seem to be able to run to a timetable with twice as many races each day

under 5 hours is a bit of a swizz it has to be said, especially if you've 'sold 2 hours in your car to a paying driver who only gets 1hr or whatever
Old 11 Oct 2007, 07:58 (Ref:2037454)   #738
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
in 2005 they stopped the race for almost an hour between 10-11pm so its not the first time
Old 11 Oct 2007, 08:10 (Ref:2037458)   #739
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
well the 6 hour was tyres and lights so 1 1/2 out of 2 isn't too bad

Barrys race was much better than last year, so was Top Hat, what little I saw, and U2TC had a considerably bigger grid
Old 11 Oct 2007, 08:16 (Ref:2037461)   #740
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I have to agree with that Zef.It always used to start at 12noon,no lighting issues then,there were more people about at the finish which must have been more suitable for the spectators.It was also held earlier in the year,better chance of good weather,I personally think it would be better if they reverted back to how it was,more time for celebration afterwards!One other point is that they really do need to sort the refueling situation,as it is,I think it,s ridiculous that the next driver has to go and do it,he,s already charged with adrenalin,the last thing he want,s is to be buggering around with fuel!let alone ,in the event of a re-fill blowback,driving with fuel soaked Glove,s or Suit.Yes ,it is getting better,but there is still room for improvement.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 08:20 (Ref:2037468)   #741
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
to my mind drivers shouldn't be refuelling anyway, some drivers wouldn't know there the cap was anyway let alone how to operate a manual pump!!!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 08:28 (Ref:2037477)   #742
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Problem is that even if there was a refueling official,some of the numptys would be charging off before the fueling was finished,
Old 11 Oct 2007, 08:32 (Ref:2037482)   #743
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terry

Whats the position regarding refuelling? I've always wondered about this. Do you have to use proper and expensive refuelling equipment or can you just fill up with a gerry can, hoping that you don't miscalculate and flood the boot.

I can't imagine its the easiest thing to do at 9pm in the dark. I take it from the last post the drivers are responsible for refuelling as well.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 09:21 (Ref:2037515)   #744
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The system adopted at Spa this year was:

Driver comes in and changes.

New driver gets strapped in then plods down the pitlane and turns right into the paddock, where he pulls up at the fuel pumps (its a normal garage forecourt arrangement), then unbuckles, gets out of the car, pops the fuel cap, takes the pump from the official, puts in the required fuel (its a normal fuel pump nozzle), hands back the fuel hose to the official, calmly walks to the car, gets in, scrabbles around for the belts, does the belts up, then drives slowly out of the paddock, avoiding any inward bound traffic, crosses the pitlane (again avoiding any traffic) and awaits the green light before ascending the pit exit to Radillon. Simple!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 09:32 (Ref:2037521)   #745
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow!

Don't forget your tesco club card!

The logical solution would be to have a team member to fill up so the driver can stay in the car?

I take it you have to form an orderly queue aswell or are there enough pumps to prevent this?
Old 11 Oct 2007, 09:34 (Ref:2037523)   #746
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dunno about the orderly queue cos, as you'll see elsewhere, we sadly didn't get that far this year.

However we asked for a team member to be present and it was refused.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 09:35 (Ref:2037525)   #747
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Also you'll notice I forgot to close the fuel cap!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 10:24 (Ref:2037568)   #748
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
correct answer IMO, although perhaps the driver might want to assist, or not be belted in incase the refueller drops his cigar match or anything daft

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Murray
The logical solution would be to have a team member to fill up so the driver can stay in the car?
Old 11 Oct 2007, 11:15 (Ref:2037622)   #749
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Delays at Spa are usually because of:
1. long recoveries and not enough time left in between sessions in the original timing for that work.
2. lots of slow marshals not willing to help out with recoveries. (we're not in the UK gents)
3. There is most of the times a long out lap to the grid, followed by a warm up lap. Why two laps, if they would get the cars out elsewhere, there would only be need for one warm up lap.
4. A long in lap after the chequered flag and as per usual somebody stalls in that one and probably needs a full lift.
5. Bad planning, i.e. cars crossing paths in the paddock near the out gate going towards theit practice/race and those coming in.
6. Need I go on?
Old 11 Oct 2007, 11:37 (Ref:2037640)   #750
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
6. Need I go on?
why not !