Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 28 Jul 2014, 02:52 (Ref:3439115)   #7701
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I cannot speak to the finances of a specific team right now but ... before the merger SunBank and NASCAR did fund fully or in part several teams ... this has been discussed to death and examples given, including statements from team owners.

I have heard that SDR (Spirit of What track?) was a Grand-Am project and money from a friend of the series supported AXR when they bought up the old Brumos car when Brumos couldn't afford to run DP and went to GT Porsches.

I have never heard that the subsidies stopped, but have no proof that they continue.

However ... I know I am not the only one to notice that SDR suddenly had gobs of money to spend on building prototype body parts to convert the DPs and that those body parts were then adopted by the series. Pretty odd behavior if SDR was a privateer team.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 03:05 (Ref:3439119)   #7702
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spirit of Daytona was around before Grand Am existed(supposedly since 1987, but if they were it wasn't in any national series prior to 1998 that I could find), they were also featured by GM quite a bit when the new bodywork was released, so that could also explain some of the money.

Also, here is the Mitsubishi Eclipse entered in the 1998 24 Hours of Daytona entered by SDR.

Old 28 Jul 2014, 03:25 (Ref:3439125)   #7703
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I have never heard that the subsidies stopped, but have no proof that they continue.
It's no secret that it happened in the past, but I don't think anyone on here has proof or knows exactly how each team is funded now.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 03:50 (Ref:3439133)   #7704
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Baron seems to believe it is still continuing. From http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/10543...owall=&start=1

Quote:
As you look at the top class, in P2 and P1 last year, there were roughly 8 cars, in DP 14 cars, for a combined 22 cars. We are down to 6 DPs and 5 P2s. Of the 6 DPs , perception is only three of those are funded from “conventional methods.” And the P2s are just a few bad BoP races from participating elsewhere. If we talked about car counts that can commit today for 2015, you could be seeing two Mazda P2 cars and two to three DPs. This needs to get fixed, and what is scaring off all the people are the escalating costs and BoP discrepancies.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 05:04 (Ref:3439139)   #7705
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
(Since we all know this still to be the case) : Action Express is obviously one of those NASCAR subsidized teams, with Spirit of Daytona probably as well (dunno about the third one, Ganassi I guess) so maybe poor old Shank McDuck should cry for NASCAR money to keep his precious DP going? Unless he's already doing that...
Spirit of Daytona is also funded with my fing tax dollars! Fml.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 11:00 (Ref:3439256)   #7706
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Spirit of Daytona was around before Grand Am existed(supposedly since 1987, but if they were it wasn't in any national series prior to 1998 that I could find), they were also featured by GM quite a bit when the new bodywork was released, so that could also explain some of the money.

Also, here is the Mitsubishi Eclipse entered in the 1998 24 Hours of Daytona entered by SDR.

i love everything about this car.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 13:04 (Ref:3439302)   #7707
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
From all of this news about behind-the-scenes financing and the way that the BOP has evolved, I am beginning to think that 'BOP' actually stands for 'Bolstering Old Perceptions'.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 13:26 (Ref:3439310)   #7708
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
i love everything about this car.
Me too! It is right and wrong for so many reasons!
Old 28 Jul 2014, 16:01 (Ref:3439363)   #7709
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
The Eclipse ran in 1995 as well. Entry/owner's was the Flis Brothers, based in Daytona, and they ran "Spirit of Daytona" on the car. Team later adopted that name. They progressed to running Corvettes in AAGT, or whatever it was called (tube frame, solid rear axle).

My daughter loved the Eclipse, and they did a really good job. Super sanitary preparation, stayed out of trouble and did pretty well against in the overall scheme.

Last edited by skycafe; 28 Jul 2014 at 16:02. Reason: noticed spelling problem, ignoring any others
Old 29 Jul 2014, 23:44 (Ref:3439923)   #7710
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So why hasn't IMSA responded to pressure from GTLM AND PC class to do something about the closeness between the 2 categories? It seems like something that should have been addressed ages ago.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 01:39 (Ref:3439948)   #7711
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
So why hasn't IMSA responded to pressure from GTLM AND PC class to do something about the closeness between the 2 categories? It seems like something that should have been addressed ages ago.
They really can't do anything. They had to slow down LMPC because they were too close to the prototypes. The P2s got slower when they were forced onto crappy Conti rubber. The GTE cars aren't going to change, and they're barely faster in top speed than the GTD cars.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 01:57 (Ref:3439954)   #7712
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
They really can't do anything. They had to slow down LMPC because they were too close to the prototypes. The P2s got slower when they were forced onto crappy Conti rubber. The GTE cars aren't going to change, and they're barely faster in top speed than the GTD cars.
IMSA can and hopefully will respond to the issue through scheduling. I propose keep GTLM and LMPC seperated in whatever shape and way as much as possible on the 2015 calendar. Maybe all but the NAEC races in fact. It sounds like LMPC owners want a reduced scheudle anyway.

I personally really liked the P/GTLM only format at Long Beach and Laguna. I look foward to see what GTLM/GTD will come off at VIR. I think that will be good too.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 04:18 (Ref:3439978)   #7713
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
IMSA can and hopefully will respond to the issue through scheduling. I propose keep GTLM and LMPC seperated in whatever shape and way as much as possible on the 2015 calendar. Maybe all but the NAEC races in fact. It sounds like LMPC owners want a reduced scheudle anyway.

I personally really liked the P/GTLM only format at Long Beach and Laguna. I look foward to see what GTLM/GTD will come off at VIR. I think that will be good too.
Won't happen. PC owners, as well as most everyone else, want less on the schedule but they do not want to be stuck in nowhere land by themselves.

L.P.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3440100)   #7714
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So multi-class racing but just at different tracks on different days. Got it.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 15:41 (Ref:3440146)   #7715
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Different combos could work at different tracks:

P/GTLM + PC/GTD
P/PC + GTLM/GTD
P/GTLM/GTD (PC can run with Lites)
P/PC/GTD

Having Continental creating faster tire compounds for the P and PC classes would help also.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 16:38 (Ref:3440157)   #7716
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
No new IMSA specific R8 in 2016 and onwards:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romolo Liebchen
Audi are committed to GT3, we will not be taking the same route to a single Championship-specific version with the new car, we cannot do it the same way again.”
From http://www.dailysportscar.com/2014/0...of-new-r8.html
Old 30 Jul 2014, 17:34 (Ref:3440170)   #7717
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
More fuel to the fire, ie did another graph for ya - rather interesting one too

please view in actual full resolution to make sense

Old 30 Jul 2014, 17:52 (Ref:3440172)   #7718
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
No new IMSA specific R8 in 2016 and onwards:

From http://www.dailysportscar.com/2014/0...of-new-r8.html

Good we need a major player like Audi to put the pressure on IMSA to bring GTD to GT3.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 17:57 (Ref:3440174)   #7719
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Good we need a major player like Audi to put the pressure on IMSA to bring GTD to GT3.
That's funny! But don't give up the day job.

L.P.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 18:06 (Ref:3440176)   #7720
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So just add aids and big wings?
Old 30 Jul 2014, 18:39 (Ref:3440187)   #7721
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Probably the same reason they haven't responded to pressure from fans to stop running old spec cars as the top class. They know better and don't care. They have a monopoly so why should they care.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3440190)   #7722
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Probably the same reason they haven't responded to pressure from fans to stop running old spec cars as the top class. They know better and don't care. They have a monopoly so why should they care.
IMSA hates fans so much they're going to let those new P2 cars race next year and probably make the DP owners spend more money to get up to speed. Why they do dis?
Old 30 Jul 2014, 19:18 (Ref:3440193)   #7723
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'm not so certain GT3 and GTLM are compatible in the same racing series...not without slowing down the GT3 cars, or speeding up GTLM.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 19:26 (Ref:3440195)   #7724
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I'm not so certain GT3 and GTLM are compatible in the same racing series...not without slowing down the GT3 cars, or speeding up GTLM.
So speed up GTLM! Nobody would complain.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 30 Jul 2014, 19:39 (Ref:3440198)   #7725
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Shank would, for obvious reasons.
Closed Thread