Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21 Oct 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2974888)   #801
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just notice that myself.
Old 21 Oct 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2974933)   #802
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP View Post
My biggest concern is commentators, since in Australia we get the BBC feed of MB and DC. Best pairing since the Murray Walker days I would say.
They should give you SPEED with Hobbs / Mathcett / Varsha. Now that's actual quality.
Old 21 Oct 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2974970)   #803
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Martin Brundle has tweeted that he's spoke to BBC and Sky about next year, and that, yes, he will be commentating on F1, but doesn't say who with.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 04:51 (Ref:2975035)   #804
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Martin Brundle has tweeted that he's spoke to BBC and Sky about next year, and that, yes, he will be commentating on F1, but doesn't say who with.
If BBC and Sky were genuine about this, they would allow him to do F1 on both Sky and BBC. I know that in the US they have different commentators depending on the channel which covers that race, but I know I would prefer to hear MB (and DC) during the entire year.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 06:23 (Ref:2975049)   #805
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
If BBC and Sky were genuine about this, they would allow him to do F1 on both Sky and BBC. I know that in the US they have different commentators depending on the channel which covers that race, but I know I would prefer to hear MB (and DC) during the entire year.
Shame they can't resurrect James Hunt; he was brilliant with Murray Walker.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 12:38 (Ref:2975128)   #806
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No the F1 races here are covered by the same team of commentators.. Bob Varsha, Steve Matchett, and David Hobbs all work for Speed...
Old 22 Oct 2011, 23:15 (Ref:2975291)   #807
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
See the second half of post #800 above!

Jake Humphrey has tweeted tonight: "We've got great F1 plans. It'll be different but we WILL make live race coverage even better, and highlights also be compelling viewing."

The clear inference from that is that Jake is staying put and that's a big promise. Might have to review my intention to go with Sky. There's another reason as well.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 09:00 (Ref:2975392)   #808
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
See the second half of post #800 above!
Yer sozzer, just seen that!
Old 23 Oct 2011, 12:32 (Ref:2975519)   #809
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jake will definitely be staying - he is a BBC man who does F1 rather than an F1 man who's on the BBC (he'll probably be the Olympics anchorman too)
Old 23 Oct 2011, 17:43 (Ref:2975633)   #810
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry, just being F1. If you love it and follow it, ya get up at 4am for the flyaways, then youll get Sky...this is life, this is business, join the clan. Yes, Ive not got Sky, but as an avid, Ive got to get it too. All those that object watch the highlights, or of course, follow on Ten Tenths, the BEST coverage from you lovely lot!!
Old 23 Oct 2011, 18:12 (Ref:2975641)   #811
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Sorry, just being F1. If you love it and follow it, ya get up at 4am for the flyaways, then youll get Sky...this is life, this is business, join the clan. Yes, Ive not got Sky, but as an avid, Ive got to get it too.
Well I'm a massive fan of the sport and spend alot of my time reading about it, watching it, and thinking about it. Its easy for you to say that "if you love it, you'll get Sky" but its not as simple as that. I can't afford £40-50 p/m fullstop and what type of fan I am is totally irrelevant. Having all the passion in the world isn't going to give me £40 extra every month is it?
Old 23 Oct 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2975649)   #812
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
BBC One is available on Sky anyway so why would it take F1 being on the Sports Channel to make people want to watch it more or attract them in the first place? I'm a dedicated fan of F1, I spend most of my waking hours reading about it, watching re-runs of races, but I can't afford £50p/m so its forcing people like me away for some of the races. Highlights are crap, who wants to watch highlights with skipped laps and the excitement of unexpected events being removed? Its a selfish deal and badly thought out. I hope the sport loses its popularity in the UK over it and they receive the wakeup call that is so badly needed.
It could attract them as with it just being highlights the BBC may decide to put them on at a more mainstream time in a regular time slot on a Sunday evening which could get more people watching than it would now as many people don't want to be up at 6-7am on a Sunday morning or even watching on a Sunday afternoon.

I do agree it's a selfish deal, but that is business. It's a deal between Sky and Bernie Ecclestone - so very, very unlikely to be badly thought out as they are both very successful.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2975651)   #813
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Sorry, just being F1. If you love it and follow it, ya get up at 4am for the flyaways, then youll get Sky...this is life, this is business, join the clan. Yes, Ive not got Sky, but as an avid, Ive got to get it too. All those that object watch the highlights, or of course, follow on Ten Tenths, the BEST coverage from you lovely lot!!
Not true at all - there are many people who love F1, myself included, who just can't afford to pay for Sky Sports as well. Just as there are many people who love football but can't pay for them.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2975652)   #814
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I've voted for the first option as it is currently the most likely scenario. But things can change.

Someone mentioned the quality of commentary, and currently I prefer to wait the hour or so delay for the Eurosport MotoGP commentary, rather than stand to listen to the BBCs live efforts.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2975671)   #815
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I've voted for the first option as it is currently the most likely scenario. But things can change.

Someone mentioned the quality of commentary, and currently I prefer to wait the hour or so delay for the Eurosport MotoGP commentary, rather than stand to listen to the BBCs live efforts.
off topic i know but - I enjoy Jules and Toby, but currently prefer to watch it on BBC2 as the Eurosport picture feed seems so poor quality.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 19:15 (Ref:2975676)   #816
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Its a selfish deal and badly thought out. I hope the sport loses its popularity in the UK over it and they receive the wakeup call that is so badly needed.
The beeb needed to save £60 mill, not showing all the races saves them £22 mill, it doesn't take a genius that by saving 1/3rd in one go makes sense. Had Sky not have taken over then the likelihood is that you wouldn't have had any races to watch, let alone half.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 19:21 (Ref:2975681)   #817
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
but currently prefer to watch it on BBC2 as the Eurosport picture feed seems so poor quality.
Can't say as I've noticed that.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2975688)   #818
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
F1 is not the NHS, get used to paying and stop complaining..
Old 23 Oct 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2975689)   #819
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Can't say as I've noticed that.
Must be my TV then
Old 24 Oct 2011, 00:12 (Ref:2975785)   #820
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
F1 is not the NHS
hmmm.....An entity that has millions pumped into it that, on the surface, few still seem to be happy with and sometimes wonder as to its purpose, but deep down they know that they can't live without it........I think it's pretty damn close!
Old 24 Oct 2011, 06:58 (Ref:2975854)   #821
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
The beeb needed to save £60 mill, not showing all the races saves them £22 mill, it doesn't take a genius that by saving 1/3rd in one go makes sense. Had Sky not have taken over then the likelihood is that you wouldn't have had any races to watch, let alone half.
You bought into that old chesnut, come on now. That was the official line and then days after that was publicized a leaked BBC report stated the BBC unnecessarily spend £80m annually on overpaid managers in positions that could potentially be at risk anyway. Thats only the tip of the iceberg with such articles, which makes this whole fob off a joke IMO. F1 pulled in on average 3 million viewers a race which is a figure Sky can only dream about.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 07:03 (Ref:2975857)   #822
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1302 View Post
It could attract them as with it just being highlights the BBC may decide to put them on at a more mainstream time in a regular time slot on a Sunday evening which could get more people watching than it would now as many people don't want to be up at 6-7am on a Sunday morning or even watching on a Sunday afternoon.

I do agree it's a selfish deal, but that is business. It's a deal between Sky and Bernie Ecclestone - so very, very unlikely to be badly thought out as they are both very successful.
Well thats great news for the casual fans I suppose. The bright side is the forums will probably get more new fans who look at the results tables of drivers and will have the authority to tell us their driver is better than your driver because he was slower, he broke his car bla bla bla. Its going to be great I can feel it.

Yeah Bernie is going to make alot of money out of the deal and it will most probably work out for him and the teams. Sky will lose money from the deal, but they will likely not be too bothered about a few million quid being lost as long as they have the coverage.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 08:02 (Ref:2975882)   #823
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
My biggest concern is commentators, since in Australia we get the BBC feed of MB and DC. Best pairing since the Murray Walker days I would say.
Same here, NZ gets the BBC feed, hope we don't get the American commentators, it would just feel strange listening to someone who isin't British commentate on F1.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 08:29 (Ref:2975890)   #824
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
You bought into that old chesnut, come on now. That was the official line and then days after that was publicized a leaked BBC report stated the BBC unnecessarily spend £80m annually on overpaid managers in positions that could potentially be at risk anyway. Thats only the tip of the iceberg with such articles, which makes this whole fob off a joke IMO. F1 pulled in on average 3 million viewers a race which is a figure Sky can only dream about.
Wether the BBC overpaid it's managers is irrelevent. The money is given to the by the government, if that government then decides that the BBC are having £60 million less then that is that, there is nothing that the BBC can do about it.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 08:42 (Ref:2975897)   #825
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Here's something of a shock, for me at least. Brundle and Croft thought to be going to Sky.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky