Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 20 Mar 2012, 08:47 (Ref:3045150)   #76
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
No I think he might have been thinking of something more like this. And to be honest I'm actually tempted!!
That is definitely a white tracksuit and gold jewellery man's car.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 09:20 (Ref:3045161)   #77
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Perhaps. But I was picturing jeans, white tee shirt with a pack of Malboroughs rolled in the sleeve, and a set of RayBan aviators.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 10:58 (Ref:3045242)   #78
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Didn't the actor from the Marlboro ads die recently, from lung cancer?

P.S. The Hawk website has the 2.6 being available with MGB or GT6 engines - why 2.6 designation? Can't beat a wheezy Zephyr motor tuned to within an inch of its life.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 11:28 (Ref:3045264)   #79
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Didn't the actor from the Marlboro ads die recently, from lung cancer?
Too late, been there done that. Although these days it would just be for decoration.

Quote:
Can't beat a wheezy Zephyr motor tuned to within an inch of its life.
I thought we decided we didn't want to spend most of our time in the garage or sat at the side of the road!
Old 20 Mar 2012, 12:04 (Ref:3045279)   #80
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm 52 and the Wife's a couple of years older we both love driving our SAAB 9-3 with the lid off
Old 20 Mar 2012, 15:05 (Ref:3045400)   #81
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
It's interesting about the Saab - Now I have to say that I have seen plenty driven by men with the top down, whereas Audi/BMW/Merc cabrios tend to be driven by the fairer sex.

This car may be the answer - definitely not a Fiat 500 Gamine, unless you have blue shorts and a red hat with a bell.

It does appear that acceptability is down to the individual owner and his ability to ignore/deflect snide comments. Cars that are universally acknowledged as "OK" are usually not practical - Caterham types or Jeep types.

I recall that back in the 60s all the big manufacturers had a soft-top as part of the range, although you didn't see that many on the roads. I seem to remember that this was all pre-"wimmins' movement" and I don't recall too many female drivers on my street. So it must ahve been likely that the convertibles were being bought and driven by men.

All this was pre-Nader, and would stop in the 70s. By the time that soft-tops came back in vogue (206cc ?) there were far more ladies with licences, and they liked the generally more attractive lines of these new models. Am I sexist here - being too general?
Old 20 Mar 2012, 15:44 (Ref:3045413)   #82
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
By the time that soft-tops came back in vogue (206cc ?)
The 206CC isn't a soft-top, it's a retractable hard-top!

Second comment removed by mod

Last edited by dtype38; 20 Mar 2012 at 17:04. Reason: Pointless comment removed. Why post in a thread you're not interested in?
Old 20 Mar 2012, 16:09 (Ref:3045433)   #83
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
All this was pre-Nader, and would stop in the 70s. By the time that soft-tops came back in vogue (206cc ?) there were far more ladies with licences, and they liked the generally more attractive lines of these new models. Am I sexist here - being too general?
not really, i think you're right. girls like pretty cars. guys like it to look The Business. are girls more likely to buy a car on the emotional pull of being able to drive it with the roof off on a nice day?

course, this is all rendered useless by the fact i know two guys with convertible sportscars as second cars, and a total of zero ladies who drive convertibles...

which brings us back to why the heck do people still think convertibles are for girls? is it the grace kelly thing? (yes, we all know how that ended up)
Old 20 Mar 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3045490)   #84
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
which brings us back to why the heck do people still think convertibles are for girls? is it the grace kelly thing? (yes, we all know how that ended up)
Maybe it's because girls with windblown hair look 'kinda nice'. We blokes, on the other hand, have to preserve, at least the illusion, of still having a full head of hair ........ or is that just me?
Old 20 Mar 2012, 18:23 (Ref:3045504)   #85
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Welll.... I can see that, but colour is going to be really important. Silver suggests you wanted a Merc but couldn't afford a quick one. White suggests you used to deal drugs be are going straight. Red would only work if you're ginger. But I think a nice dark blue or green could work... but only if you don't let anyone sit in back! What do we think?
Its black of course, like my current, beloved 20 year old E36 who I lovingly call 'Shiny', and have had for 15 years,but who is now Matt black thru dullness and in need of an engine rebuild, hence the idea to get a stop gap Convertible for a few months.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3045537)   #86
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
No I think he might have been thinking of something more like this. And to be honest I'm actually tempted!!
He said squeel the tires, not chirp them when the road is slightly damp. zing!

I think this is more of what he had in mind...

Old 20 Mar 2012, 21:29 (Ref:3045628)   #87
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Would be fun, but shame about the wheels. Too modern.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 23:50 (Ref:3045713)   #88
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Fair point, and I'd agree if the objective was to squeel your tyres every time you pull away from traffic lights, or a zebra crossing, or after letting an old lady cross the road, or just wanting to creep forward in a traffic jam....!!

I was thinking of something with a little more ...... cruise factor -
Attached Thumbnails
1947_Cadillac_Convertible.jpg  
Old 21 Mar 2012, 02:41 (Ref:3045756)   #89
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yep. That is more on target. Ford has engineered and built the Mustang the past few decades with the idea to make it easily modifiable. People can either go with the plain vanilla version or tweak it up as they desire due to the massive aftermarket.

Who wants to wheez along in a nissan when you can listen to this:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/name-th...e-episode-103/
Old 21 Mar 2012, 02:57 (Ref:3045758)   #90
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post

I think this is more of what he had in mind...

Cobras are not bad for that but I've never been a big fan. I do like the Cobra Daytona Coupes though and I like the looks and price of the Factory Five Daytona Coupes.

http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/type-65-coupe/

Not a convertible though.

I've got shopping for a newer car this year and it's a hard choice because there are so many options. I can only imagine all the choices for a soft top out there.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 03:23 (Ref:3045761)   #91
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
not really, i think you're right. girls like pretty cars. guys like it to look The Business. are girls more likely to buy a car on the emotional pull of being able to drive it with the roof off on a nice day?

course, this is all rendered useless by the fact i know two guys with convertible sportscars as second cars, and a total of zero ladies who drive convertibles...

I've never really seen it either way preferring men or women, but over here in the USA we don't have the little topless Peugeots, Renaults, Fiats etc. running about like you do in Europe. There is a small market here for those "hairdressers" cars, the old VW Cabriolet for instance was always considered a chick car.

In the USA, you are more likely to see women in cutesy little CUV/SUV's like RAV4's or Nissan Rogues than any convertible.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 07:16 (Ref:3045787)   #92
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are they all crap drivers as they are in England?
Old 21 Mar 2012, 10:44 (Ref:3045862)   #93
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
If I hear one more person say "I feel safer" , I'm gonna scream.

A car is as safe as its driver is competent.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 12:10 (Ref:3045912)   #94
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

A car is as safe as its driver is competent.
Assuming there are no other vehicles on the road, yes.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 12:45 (Ref:3045925)   #95
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Assuming there are no other vehicles on the road, yes.

Point taken . My old dad used to say "treat all other road users as if they've just been released from an asylum".

What concerns me about this 4x4 scenario is that if they feel "safe" they might be less wary on the road, dropping alertness levels etc..Each to their own, I suppose.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 14:06 (Ref:3045969)   #96
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Are they all crap drivers as they are in England?
Yes, they drive like women.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 15:24 (Ref:3046007)   #97
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Ah,like Danica Patrick.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 15:46 (Ref:3046020)   #98
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
We seem to have got a bit diverted from the topic..... Road safety and women drivers may be interesting, but it's not helping find that crucial mix of dignity and everyday usability that will allow men of a certain age to waft their hair... while they still have some!

May I therefore present for consideration that hardy annual that has become a living fossil:
Attached Thumbnails
Morgan +8.jpg  
Old 21 Mar 2012, 16:14 (Ref:3046036)   #99
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
A friend of mine took a test-drive, ordered one when the waiting-list was 3yrs+, and when it was delivered he hated it.

Sold it one week later (not for selfish profit) and bought, naturally, a Triumph Spifire 1500.

But.. definitely OK for a man with greying hair IMO.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 16:36 (Ref:3046049)   #100
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
We seem to have got a bit diverted from the topic..... Road safety and women drivers may be interesting, but it's not helping find that crucial mix of dignity and everyday usability that will allow men of a certain age to waft their hair... while they still have some!

May I therefore present for consideration that hardy annual that has become a living fossil:
It's the dignity part that I'm struggling with. I think that's the American in me having difficulty grasping British reservedness. Just get something loud and yellow or orange (maybe a little chrome) and leave the dignity for when your six feet under.

Ok, one more shot...

Good looking, fun to drive, and reliable.