Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Oct 2007, 14:44 (Ref:2034000)   #76
alc
Rookie

alc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't it clear that Bernie runs the show, and the next FIA president, whoever it might be, will dance very nicely, but we will be able to see the strings and who is pulling them, just as before?
Old 7 Oct 2007, 15:32 (Ref:2034045)   #77
ggreen29
Racer

ggreen29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
IIRC, Max retort came after Stewart blasted the decision of FIA/WMSC decision for Mclaren, and claim that the federation is corrupt. An assumption, no evidence, just riding the waves of speculation.
"An assumption, no evidence, just riding the waves of speculation" is exactly what the FIA decision was based on. If that's not corrupt decision making, what is? I think JYS described the situation accurately.

Sadly, but deservedly, Max has nearly become to motorsport what his father was to politics; ineffective, lacking judgement, tasteless and totalitarian.
Old 7 Oct 2007, 15:37 (Ref:2034046)   #78
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's just leave Mosley's father out of this, that has no place in an F1 forum.
Old 7 Oct 2007, 15:49 (Ref:2034056)   #79
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, he does, in that we're all apples that fall close to our tree.
Fortunately for us Damon is the same. He's smart, talented and not afraid to speak up and challenge unnecessary authority especially when Max acts in ways that don't benefit the sport.
Three cheers for Damon
Old 7 Oct 2007, 16:07 (Ref:2034070)   #80
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Damon Hill would be an excellent candidate to take over from Mr Mosley. I know he is president of The BRDC, but still I would like to see him in that role..
Old 7 Oct 2007, 16:41 (Ref:2034095)   #81
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
IIRC, Max retort came after Stewart blasted the decision of FIA/WMSC decision for Mclaren, and claim that the federation is corrupt. An assumption, no evidence, just riding the waves of speculation.
No idea whether your recall is accurate, but just I have extracted the piece below for some perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Roebuck
Quite why Mosley chose to belittle Stewart in this fashion is something known only to Max, but it's always been the case that he does not take well to criticism, and JYS was one of many to express...reservations about the whole 'Spygate' case - indeed, apart from Ferrari, just about everyone reacted the same way. When Mosley turned up at Spa, I think he was rather stunned by that.

On occasions like that, Max gets extremely angry,(continues....)
Old 7 Oct 2007, 17:09 (Ref:2034127)   #82
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nigel Roebuck is the best there has ever been as an F1 journalist. And now that he's moved to a serious publication, even better.
Rock on Nigel.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 04:43 (Ref:2034588)   #83
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davhut
Nigel Roebuck is the best there has ever been as an F1 journalist. And now that he's moved to a serious publication, even better.
Rock on Nigel.
I have to disagree, I can't stand him. Thankfully he's been gradually sidelined in the publication over the years [in fairness maybe that's what he wanted, I don't know]... and now he's going. Motorsport's probably a better home for him as his work has veered more towards regurgitating history during the past decade. Having said all of that, his words on the Max/Jackie contretemps were bang on... but it would be difficult to justify endorsing Max's opinion wouldn't it.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 06:06 (Ref:2034618)   #84
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let's put it this way. Max won't be screaming at Stewart for no apparent reason.

It is not to justify Max's comments. I don't agree with the way he criticises people in public, in a manner which sounded personal. On the otherhand, we recognise that Stewart and Damon are successful drivers in their own rights, but that doesn't mean they speak without errors or behave beyond reproach.

It's not a mistake, but rather poorly handled. Some are eager to put Stewarts words on a gold plate because it tallies with their own beliefs, others not for the opposite reason.

But whether what Stewart says is accurate or not, for him to openly criticise FIA's decision as an image of corruption, rather than discuss the details that lead to such a decision, Stewart is first obstructing FIA's ability to act in future cases without increased media speculations, and second Stewart is openly challenging Max's integrity.

People can brush off and say "what integrity does Max have, anyway?", but fact is, like Ron, like Todt, like Max like many others.. these leaders do have a high degree of self concept. For anybody to think they can make a unfounded remark or slap these fellas on the face in public without having that person retaliate in some form to "re-establish" the balance in their point of view.

Stewart's intentions may be all good. However, the way he openly criticises the way a sports is governed will not help the sports at all, but rather worsen things, especially given his respectable status, that many media will jump onto as "the truth" when it simply may not be. If Ferrari and Mclaren and FIA are guilty of washing F1's dirty linens in public, then Stewart, Max and Damon are not helping put things right.

Max is far from right. But Stewart isnt right either. If one doesn't respect the other, then it's hard to demand the other to give him respect.

Stewart may be a good driver, no doubt. But really, perhaps he sees things too much in a good-old-fashion way... and while i won't mind seeing Max step down (he is too controversial), i doubt Stewart can do anywhere near a better job.

Frankly, looking at the controversy that surrounds us... i hope the next guy who replaces Max will have but the minimal vested interest in F1. No Dennis, No Flavio, No Todt...
Old 8 Oct 2007, 06:20 (Ref:2034623)   #85
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gt_R, I'm not sure I agree with you. The FIA must always be open to criticism and questioning, and somebody of Stewart's stature is absolutely qualified to do so. He's one of the few people in this sport who's been successful behind the wheel, successful as a team manager and successful as an advocate for the good of the sport. By bringing motorsport safety to the forefront of its evolution, his contribution to the sport has probably been more valuable than any other individual in the last 3 decades. When he speaks people listen and people take what he says seriously. In ridiculing Stewart rather than constructing counter-arguments against his, Max has exposed himself and the FIA to the outpouring over the last few days... and, it could be said, brought the sport and its governing body into disrupte.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 07:55 (Ref:2034696)   #86
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Of course, Damon's comments were nothing to do with F1. It was simply to defend someone else after they had been insulted. Which is why they were so apt and powerful.

On a different aside, I do not beleive that Damon would want to go anywhere near the FIA preseidency. He doesn't want the agrrevation, want to give up the time and I don't think he'd be that good at it. As the above demonstrates politics is not his style or want. That might make him suitable in a Douglas Adams man in a shack way, but I wouldn't wish it upon him.

However I wonder if he wants a job as a 10-10ths mod?
Old 8 Oct 2007, 09:40 (Ref:2034782)   #87
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But whether what Stewart says is accurate or not, for him to openly criticise FIA's decision as an image of corruption, rather
Although it seems he was in the majority with his views, do you have any links or direct quotes from the man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
I have to disagree, I can't stand him.
Can't stand him or his writing?
After Pete Lyons, I thought that Nigel wrote most descriptively about F1. It's become apparent that he's tired of the shennigans and PC that now inhabits the "sport".
He's still way better than his contemporaries.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 09:51 (Ref:2034795)   #88
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw
Can't stand him or his writing?
You're right to point that out. Sorry for my imprecision... its his writing I can't stand... I don't know the man himself, he may actually be quite a decent bloke.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 10:28 (Ref:2034826)   #89
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alc
Isn't it clear that Bernie runs the show, and the next FIA president, whoever it might be, will dance very nicely, but we will be able to see the strings and who is pulling them, just as before?
I wonder if F1 will ever go the way of the CART/IRL? I think if a couple of the marque teams get pushed a little too far, it could happen.

Bernie and Max will only have themselves to blame...
Old 8 Oct 2007, 10:57 (Ref:2034847)   #90
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oi! that is my Panda.

Despite the lack of a signed Concorde agreement this seems less likely than it has gone for a few years.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 10:59 (Ref:2034849)   #91
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you take your minds back to the FOCA / FISA war, when the FIA was an independent organisation, albeit very amateur, run by Jean Marie Balestre. Bernie, then Brabham team owner and his then legal advisor, Max Mosely convinced the FOCA teams (except Ferrari, Renault and Alfa Romeo) that having them take over the FIA would be good for them all. They all went along with this notion and finally Max was installed by Bernie after winning said war. It now appears that the real motive of Bernie and Max was to create and control a vehicle for making money. Which over the years has ruthlessly stamped out opposition and destroyed any racing Formula which might compete with their premier vehicle, which is of course F1. Max aka the FIA can accept no dissension which may finally lead to the weakening of his or Bernie's position. His politics as betrayed by his behaviour are clearly well to the right of centre and i am sure he/they will employ whatever tactics they require to keep control of the FIA. Stewart will probably not have much more to say on the subject as the FIA have a sanction over his credentials and as part of his business is introducing sponsors to F1, i suspect he wont want to have them removed.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 14:02 (Ref:2034955)   #92
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
Stewart will probably not have much more to say on the subject as the FIA have a sanction over his credentials and as part of his business is introducing sponsors to F1, i suspect he wont want to have them removed.

Wouldn't be surprised if your correct there "fesw" And it would show how petty Max actually could be. Sort of "you say nasty things about me, i take away your priviligies..........simply because i can!"
Old 8 Oct 2007, 15:45 (Ref:2035034)   #93
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just think of the disaster it would be if Tony George became Pres. He would destroy the FIA as he did OW racing in NA.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 16:24 (Ref:2035067)   #94
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Random thought of the day!
Old 8 Oct 2007, 16:30 (Ref:2035074)   #95
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
We could make that into some kind of award...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 9 Oct 2007, 09:38 (Ref:2035677)   #96
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63170
Old 9 Oct 2007, 09:43 (Ref:2035682)   #97
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well what can you say. Sad, bitter, twisted, charmless. Anyone want to add anything ?.
Old 9 Oct 2007, 09:48 (Ref:2035685)   #98
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63169

Should he or shouldn't he?
Old 9 Oct 2007, 09:54 (Ref:2035688)   #99
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
No I don't think he should.. I am of the opinion that he should just rise above the name calling..The only purpose taking legal action will serve is to make his lawyers richer..
Old 9 Oct 2007, 10:05 (Ref:2035701)   #100
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Well he can certainly afford to and if he won he would probably give the proceeds to charity which would make Max look even more stupid. I thought his reply was well considered and very reasonable. He is entitled to his opinion and also entitled to express it. I note in Max's comments that he has now attacked the UK press as well for supporting Stewart. I also found his comment about not neding to be popular, was an interesting one considering he is supposed to be in a position that is voted for.