Can he be changed ? 5 9.62%
Can he maximise his talent ? 14 26.92%
Is he a lost cause ? 24 46.15%
No need to change ? 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Jul 2012, 14:20 (Ref:3105157)   #76
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think it's more he did exactly what he was told. he's known for that - for example ask him to do a specific laptime and he will. he's very compliant and fortunately his talent extends far enough to be able to do the really quick stuff when he needs to.

don't mistake that for intelligence on the scale of button or someone who really knows their stuff.
Nah that's being disingenuous now. He won fair and square... and not because he was was told to do it. It's not an excuse for his accidents, but 'divs' don't win races the way he did.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 14:31 (Ref:3105161)   #77
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Nah that's being disingenuous now. He won fair and square... and not because he was was told to do it. It's not an excuse for his accidents, but 'divs' don't win races the way he did.
not really. it's all completely true. not trying to take any credit away from his win, it was excellent, but you have to understand the context of it. it was the fastest car, in the hands of a very quick driver and through the driver doing what he was told - we hear it all race, particularly in the massa/smedley context, do this, you need to be another 1s quicker, and so on - and not binning it, he won the race.

there was no genius tyre call, or wizardry of pulling speed from an incapable car. there's plenty of drivers not capable of delivering what they need to on the day, at the time, on the tyres. he's able to do that, and that's why he excels as a grand prix driver. he does what's expected of him without fuss.

but it's absolutely not intelligence, of the type where genius tyre calls or alonso-like wizardry come into play. or the type where a driver knows that the long term gain of letting a car faster in the short term pass him. that's not his game. his is in delivering serious pace. he needs to learn to ease off it. but can he? that's what we're discussing here.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 15:36 (Ref:3105185)   #78
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
not really. it's all completely true. not trying to take any credit away from his win, it was excellent, but you have to understand the context of it. it was the fastest car, in the hands of a very quick driver and through the driver doing what he was told - we hear it all race, particularly in the massa/smedley context, do this, you need to be another 1s quicker, and so on - and not binning it, he won the race.
You can't talk a person into winning a race. By the same token you're going to tell us that his RE talked him into the accidents, or possibly gave him the wrong or no instructions, which is what led to the accidents. That's preposterous. He had the same type of assistance from his RE as anyone else on that grid... no more, no less.

Quote:
but it's absolutely not intelligence, of the type where genius tyre calls or alonso-like wizardry come into play. or the type where a driver knows that the long term gain of letting a car faster in the short term pass him. that's not his game. his is in delivering serious pace. he needs to learn to ease off it. but can he? that's what we're discussing here.
He did ease off... he let Alonso hare away, who in turn lifed his tyres more quickly, and PM was where it mattered at the chequered flag. He did exactly what was needed to win that GP and won it consummately.

My point is that he has demonstrated he can do it. The question is whether he can do it consistently enough to put him in the category of a title contender. At this stage I would say no, but then there are but a handful of drivers who would be able to do such a thing.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3105195)   #79
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Vittorio Brambilla, known as the Monza Gorilla or Rock Ape, won the 1975 Austrian Grand Prix.He never won another one.

The way he drove makes Maldonado look positively tame in comparison.

My point is that both were fast, were not the sharpest tool in the box but nonetheless had their ONE day in the sun.I think Maldonado has now had his.

Brambilla never drove for a factory team in F1, his reputation made sure of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vittorio_Brambilla
Old 11 Jul 2012, 16:14 (Ref:3105205)   #80
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup and he won by crossing the line backwards. He was a character though.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 18:42 (Ref:3105272)   #81
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I don't think it is and no it isn't.

Although your accusations of this Venezuela bashing and how Britain is as corrupt is more suited to Parc Ferme, or your imagination.
Fair enough, I've just noticed that whenever Maldonado gets discussed his source of income usually gets brought up and its usually a negative point. I don't think it is Venezuela bashing, more Chavez bashing.

My post was not a side-track of the thread, I just found it amuzing that the speculative invoice showed that Williams banked with Barclays.

People in Glass Houses shouldn't throw rocks and all that.
Back to the thread.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 20:05 (Ref:3105306)   #82
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who someone banks with is a completely different matter from where they get their money from
Old 11 Jul 2012, 20:44 (Ref:3105326)   #83
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Vittorio Brambilla, known as the Monza Gorilla or Rock Ape, won the 1975 Austrian Grand Prix.He never won another one.

The way he drove makes Maldonado look positively tame in comparison.

My point is that both were fast, were not the sharpest tool in the box but nonetheless had their ONE day in the sun.I think Maldonado has now had his.

Brambilla never drove for a factory team in F1, his reputation made sure of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vittorio_Brambilla
Not taking anything away from the late Monza Gorilla, but some would argue that the 1975 Austrian Grand Prix was a race he lucked in to. There have been a number like that down through the years, Monaco 1982 comes to mind, where, as in Austria that day, the weather played a significant part.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 21:22 (Ref:3105347)   #84
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Who someone banks with is a completely different matter from where they get their money from
As I saiid, I just found it amuzing, especially given Barclay's past and present actions of being a pretty corrupt bank!

It was a post made for a little ironic laugh, not for serious discussion as was the post I quoted with the invoice, I imagine.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 22:01 (Ref:3105365)   #85
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Maldonado has clearly got wins within him and his win to date was top drawer. The man is also psychological hard-man, he was philosophical for his first win, totally non-plussed for all this flak he's getting. There is something of 'Senna' within him that is lacking in uh..Senna.

It just depends whether those wins within him compensate for the bills.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 22:12 (Ref:3105374)   #86
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
There is something of 'Senna' within him that is lacking in uh..Senna.
Wow. He certainly is getting all the attention he seeks.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3105377)   #87
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maldonado has clearly got wins within him and his win to date was top drawer. The man is also psychological hard-man, he was philosophical for his first win, totally non-plussed for all this flak he's getting. There is something of 'Senna' within him that is lacking in uh..Senna.

It just depends whether those wins within him compensate for the bills.
Definitely a strong mind, just look at Australia this year for a proof of that.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 08:14 (Ref:3105460)   #88
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
I think you're right. He's deficient in many areas, but there's a lot more to him than some people are giving him credit for. Maybe he's right... maybe he doesn't need to change. If he develops a reputation as a hard man, people will jump out of his way, and who knows maybe there's a possibility that his unorthodox approach to this will yield more wins ?
Old 12 Jul 2012, 08:20 (Ref:3105461)   #89
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post

It was a post made for a little ironic laugh, not for serious discussion as was the post I quoted with the invoice, I imagine.
It came across as an accusation of complicity with a corrupt organisation, which doesn't help any valid arguments you may have.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 10:37 (Ref:3105507)   #90
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I think you're right. He's deficient in many areas, but there's a lot more to him than some people are giving him credit for. Maybe he's right... maybe he doesn't need to change. If he develops a reputation as a hard man, people will jump out of his way, and who knows maybe there's a possibility that his unorthodox approach to this will yield more wins ?
Yes but it will need the other driver to be 'intimidated'

Or sensible.....

When it really comes down to it, how many drivers in F1 at the moment can we honestly say hand on heart would not bang wheels if it meant defending a podium position (rightly or wrongly)

I can only see Alonso, Webber or Button fitting that really?
Old 12 Jul 2012, 12:38 (Ref:3105571)   #91
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
These are the points I was making: like many drivers, Maldonado has the components to be fast and be a winner. What separates those in the top tier from the talented is thier ability to put it all together over a race weekend.

Jean Alesi comes to mind as a driver who had the speed, was not terribly erratic or anything yet could not quite put it all together at one time.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 13:01 (Ref:3105588)   #92
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Williams support Maldonado.

Mark Gillan:

“We looked at it; in our opinion Perez squeezed Pastor,” Gillan told ESPNF1.com. “Pastor had the inside line, he braked, he locked the wheels and effectively grabbed the car. You can see a heavy twitch where he's fighting the car and the back end pushed right and hit Perez, so to me it is a racing incident.

“Pastor is a real fighter. He's quick, he's a robust person on track and we've had a few incidents in the last number of races.

“I think this was unfortunate but to me it's a racing incident. I can't see anything in it,” he continued.

“Of course [we speak to him and discuss things like this]. We say that 'you've got to bring it home' to both the drivers, but with this one when he braked he was on the line and the car unfortunately just lost grip and he just couldn't control it. He definitely didn't want to hit Perez, that's for sure.

“He is very mentally robust and certainly that's a major strength of his. He's not fazed by it and he just wants to drive the car as quickly as he can - and he usually does. So I don't have any worries about that at all.”

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/181836/...maldonado.html
Old 12 Jul 2012, 22:53 (Ref:3105825)   #93
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry, the thread is too long to read every one, but dipping in and out, the general sentiment is pretty clear. I have to agree: Maldonado is an animal.

His various ill-judged accidents are one thing, and you can fairly compare them with Vittorio Brambilla, Andrea de Crasharis and one or two others. His assaults (carefully chosen word) on Hamilton (Spa) and Perez (Monaco) are something else entirely. It does the F1 stewards no credit at all that he got away with both of those. Compare them with Eddie Irvine's three race ban in Interlagos for, basically, getting involved in someone else's accident.

Sadly Williams have got themselves into a situation of having two drivers, neither of whom could have been chosen according to the normal criteria. One is a charming and personable guy with a solid gold name and little talent. The other is an oaf with huge sponsorship from a rather dodgy source. I just hope that the quality of their car this year will give them the resources and credibility to make some more rational driver decisions next year.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 07:37 (Ref:3105910)   #94
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent post - a perfect summary of the realities.

At least Maldonado's money is keeping Williams viable until better days return - and securing jobs for a few hundred people.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 14:45 (Ref:3106054)   #95
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Excellent post - a perfect summary of the realities.

At least Maldonado's money is keeping Williams viable until better days return - and securing jobs for a few hundred people.
It's funny how an opinion on something can alter one's perception of 'realities'. That post was an opinionated rant and riddled with factual inaccuracies.
Old 14 Jul 2012, 04:41 (Ref:3106232)   #96
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The other is an oaf with huge sponsorship from a rather dodgy source. I just hope that the quality of their car this year will give them the resources and credibility to make some more rational driver decisions next year.
The oaf won a GP....now shoot the other foot.
Old 14 Jul 2012, 06:21 (Ref:3106248)   #97
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No foot-shooting involved - winning one GP doesn't make you the best thing since sliced bread..... And he isn't.
Old 14 Jul 2012, 07:44 (Ref:3106260)   #98
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
No foot-shooting involved - winning one GP doesn't make you the best thing since sliced bread..... And he isn't.
Of course he isn't... but he isn't the div some make him out to be either. In terms of this thread and this poll, I think it's too early to make a pronouncement about PM.
Old 14 Jul 2012, 08:25 (Ref:3106270)   #99
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if you only watch f1, yes it is. if you've watched his progress through motorsport it's old news and very funny as f1 fans realise what you've seen and known all along.
Old 14 Jul 2012, 09:24 (Ref:3106282)   #100
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
if you only watch f1, yes it is. if you've watched his progress through motorsport it's old news and very funny as f1 fans realise what you've seen and known all along.
Yes he's been around a while in cars - and has had his fair share of controversy - but Formula One has always been very different. In the same vein, Senna caused plenty of trouble en route to F1 and while he was there too, yet he also managed to become one of the greatest the sport's seen. Maldonado has been in F1 for just over a year... if he manages more podiums and/or wins, people will place less emphasis on his indiscretions and failings. That's why I feel it's too early to compartmentalize him as great or crap.