Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 23 Apr 2013, 05:04 (Ref:3238220)   #76
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick
How many times on this forum have Aucklanders stated they would rather not travel? Several. Including one series founder and promoter.

If you are referring to me, then may I point out that yes, I would rather not travel these days, but that is my personal choice based on a variety of factors....
i believe he is refferring to the founder/promotor of the bestest everer v8 touring car series in NZ that is struggling to get a decent gate anywhere else in the country , so will base his cars at Pukekohe, now that Ateed has helped fund the improvements .
Old 23 Apr 2013, 05:58 (Ref:3238224)   #77
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
i believe he is refferring to the founder/promotor of the bestest everer v8 touring car series in NZ that is struggling to get a decent gate anywhere else in the country , so will base his cars at Pukekohe, now that Ateed has helped fund the improvements .
You're not allowed to talk about V8's in this thread.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 06:04 (Ref:3238225)   #78
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And particularly any negative V8ST ones
Old 23 Apr 2013, 06:08 (Ref:3238226)   #79
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
No, just not at all. Ask Bob.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 06:23 (Ref:3238231)   #80
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
You're not allowed to talk about V8's in this thread.
why can't we talk about VB's?
Old 23 Apr 2013, 06:27 (Ref:3238232)   #81
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
why can't we talk about VB's?
cause it's **** beer!
Old 23 Apr 2013, 06:29 (Ref:3238234)   #82
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
cause it's **** beer!
That might have been a joke I suspect - although I can't say I'm a VB fan... but it's a damn sight better than Speights, or Tui, or Waikato, or DB Brown or Lion Red or...

But not Heineken
Old 23 Apr 2013, 06:44 (Ref:3238236)   #83
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
That might have been a joke I suspect - although I can't say I'm a VB fan... but it's a damn sight better than Speights, or Tui, or Waikato, or DB Brown or Lion Red or...

But not Heineken
nah u killed it bro!!!!!!

Heineken? thats alright, ill take canadian club over it.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 06:59 (Ref:3238241)   #84
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
nah u killed it bro!!!!!!

Heineken? thats alright, ill take canadian club over it.
I thought that was ginger ale...

And Promax killed it, not me!
Old 23 Apr 2013, 07:02 (Ref:3238242)   #85
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
I thought that was ginger ale...

And Promax killed it, not me!
Old 23 Apr 2013, 07:29 (Ref:3238250)   #86
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Or is it whiskey??!
Old 23 Apr 2013, 08:06 (Ref:3238266)   #87
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking back at Old Bob's OP, the question he was posing seemed to be what should the 'feeder classes' to the big game look like?

It is a really important function of (control) class racing to enable drivers to develop their skills and put the responsibility for performance (to seriously over-simplify things) squarely in the cockpit

As many have pointed out however this focus often comes at the expense of popularity from interested spectators.

The 'entertainment classes', and they are legion, lack the level of competitiveness to develop drivers to the recquisit level.

They are popular, they offer good entertainment and plenty of opportunities exist to enjoy these classes.
If motorsport is solely about entertainment then it is all rather easy. I still believe the market is oversaturated with sub standard offerings.
The reason we cant afford to let the market self correct is that competitors will become disallusioned go fishing or whatever.

The governing body needs to grow some balls and provide (as it used to) a clear pathway. The progression of classes is there but it is a hard sell - particulary when there is a profit imperative. The entry level to championship level is usually single make saloons. Stability is required - not allowing deep pockets buy their slot as flavour of the month.

The people whinging about control classes have a (tenuous) point but I believe have no conception of how costs can run away in unrestrained competition. It isn't the money that is really the issue, its the willpower to spend it.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 20:43 (Ref:3238592)   #88
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
Looking back at Old Bob's OP, the question he was posing seemed to be what should the 'feeder classes' to the big game look like?

It is a really important function of (control) class racing to enable drivers to develop their skills and put the responsibility for performance (to seriously over-simplify things) squarely in the cockpit

As many have pointed out however this focus often comes at the expense of popularity from interested spectators.

The 'entertainment classes', and they are legion, lack the level of competitiveness to develop drivers to the recquisit level.

They are popular, they offer good entertainment and plenty of opportunities exist to enjoy these classes.
If motorsport is solely about entertainment then it is all rather easy. I still believe the market is oversaturated with sub standard offerings.
The reason we cant afford to let the market self correct is that competitors will become disallusioned go fishing or whatever.

The governing body needs to grow some balls and provide (as it used to) a clear pathway. The progression of classes is there but it is a hard sell - particulary when there is a profit imperative. The entry level to championship level is usually single make saloons. Stability is required - not allowing deep pockets buy their slot as flavour of the month.

The people whinging about control classes have a (tenuous) point but I believe have no conception of how costs can run away in unrestrained competition. It isn't the money that is really the issue, its the willpower to spend it.
Excellent post, support class's will always struggle in lean times, what we really need in New Zealand is an affordable fast controlled class that does not date, Aussie race cars, now owned by the Quinn's, is the only class of fast affordable real race cars that will not date, because the complete body can now can be changed in less than an hour.

It would also allow genuine inter Australian versus New Zealand races to support big event's such as the V8SC at Puke etc. The introduction of the Toyota 86 is yet another nail in the coffin of support class racing in this country, least in my opinion.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 21:20 (Ref:3238607)   #89
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
The introduction of the Toyota 86 is yet another nail in the coffin of support class racing in this country, least in my opinion.
BMW Mini - $55k. Suzuki Swift $35k.
Toyota 86 - $70k WTF!

In terms of longevity and running costs a purpose built chassis is always going to be a better deal than mongreled road cars.
And, not necessarily more expensive.

Essential DNA? Pah! Abitary expense more like.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 21:31 (Ref:3238613)   #90
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The point that seems to have been overlooked - good though some of these posts are, is establishing the reason why anyone races at all?

The reasons for the young and ambitious racing are totally different from old farts driving old cars, or owners who just enjoy being able to exceeed 100kph an hour legally.

I wonder just how many of the NZ licence holders are potential stars, or potential winners on the international stage as opposed to the hobby drivers?

I'm a hobby driver and most of the people I come into contact with are also hobby drivers, even though we might have Kenny Smith, Clark Proctor and a couple of others wanting to really race F5000's, (or their chosen mounts), the classic and historic fraternity, probaby the strongest sector in NZ motorsport, is generally about the cars, not the drivers.

Sadly, keeping some of these older cars running is hitting the budgets really hard, especially as getting spares is now getting tougher.

Motorsport has always been seen as a rich man's sport and at the higher levels, it probably still is. It is to NZ's credit that there are so many cars still out there racing and so many great tracks on which to race. Have any car, can race. Brilliant. But as Icarus points out, it is a competitor sport in the main, not a paying spectator sport, so we need to emphasise all the free spectator events as well as push the higher profile paying events.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 21:40 (Ref:3238614)   #91
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Yes good point - when and where are the free events? With three kids money is always tight but they are always up for entertainment, motorsport is right up there for the boys at least!
Old 23 Apr 2013, 21:54 (Ref:3238619)   #92
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
BMW Mini - $55k. Suzuki Swift $35k.
Toyota 86 - $70k WTF!

In terms of longevity and running costs a purpose built chassis is always going to be a better deal than mongreled road cars.
And, not necessarily more expensive.

Essential DNA? Pah! Abitary expense more like.
Is the $70k for the 86 the car only? Or do you get extra?
Old 24 Apr 2013, 07:51 (Ref:3238750)   #93
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes good point - when and where are the free events? With three kids money is always tight but they are always up for entertainment, motorsport is right up there for the boys at least!
TACCOC one dayer's and our own one dayer's are usually spectator free at HD. This forum doesn't really have a NZ based upcoming events section. Try The Roaring Season.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 08:00 (Ref:3238754)   #94
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
TACCOC one dayer's and our own one dayer's are usually spectator free at HD. This forum doesn't really have a NZ based upcoming events section. Try The Roaring Season.
As a matter of principle all TACCOC meetings are spectator free.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 08:02 (Ref:3238756)   #95
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
As a matter of principle all TACCOC meetings are spectator free.
Great, I will do my best to get along to some of them! Spectator free not meaning free from spectators I assume...
Old 24 Apr 2013, 08:13 (Ref:3238759)   #96
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
Is the $70k for the 86 the car only? Or do you get extra?
I don't know any details sorry Brick. The shiny shoe boys from Toyota NZ told me $70k turn key. There was no talk of a spaces package with that although you may possibly get another 2 sets of wheels
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:13 (Ref:3238785)   #97
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Quote:
The point that seems to have been overlooked - good though some of these posts are, is establishing the reason why anyone races at all?
  • Because the sensation of driving a car on the limit of grip is SUCH A RUSH!
  • Because you can drive a racecar for 10 minutes and bore everybody in the pub talking about it for 2 hours afterward.
  • Because you believe you can get better at it
  • Because every bloke (and lets be fair, it is mostly blokes) knows he is a better driver than every other bloke expect perhaps Billy Bobby and a couple of others
  • Because people who have never raced think you are a pretty cool dude being a part time race driver
  • Because deep inside you know that if time, circumstances and inherited wealth had been on your side YOU would currently be a F1 driver
  • Because by tinkering in your garage with some mates you can go faster thereby proving your kiwi #8 skills make you smarter than those pointy headed foreign engineer types
  • Because everybody else in the pits (cheating, know nothing w**kers that they are) share your interest and you all have a lot in common
  • Because it makes your 9 - 5 bearable thinking about your next outing
  • Because it is an addiction.

Quote:
The reasons for the young and ambitious racing are totally different from old farts driving old cars, or owners who just enjoy being able to exceeed 100kph an hour legally.

I wonder just how many of the NZ licence holders are potential stars, or potential winners on the international stage as opposed to the hobby drivers?
Yes, the slums of Brazil are full of future world champions.
The skills to drive a race car fast can be learnt with sufficient effective practice. But to be a potential winner etc takes a big fat vein of money.
Actually all motorsport requires money. It isn't cheap. It can be affordable.
And in truth if the biggest skill a hobby racer brings tothe track is his wallet then so be it.

Quote:
I'm a hobby driver and most of the people I come into contact with are also hobby drivers, even though we might have Kenny Smith, Clark Proctor and a couple of others wanting to really race F5000's, (or their chosen mounts), the classic and historic fraternity, probaby the strongest sector in NZ motorsport, is generally about the cars, not the drivers.

Sadly, keeping some of these older cars running is hitting the budgets really hard, especially as getting spares is now getting tougher.

Motorsport has always been seen as a rich man's sport and at the higher levels, it probably still is. It is to NZ's credit that there are so many cars still out there racing and so many great tracks on which to race. Have any car, can race. Brilliant. But as Icarus points out, it is a competitor sport in the main, not a paying spectator sport, so we need to emphasise all the free spectator events as well as push the higher profile paying events.
For the spectators, for sure.
For me personally the car is irrelevent. The challenge of mastering the machine is all. It may not be a common point of view but we're all different :-)
Old 24 Apr 2013, 19:12 (Ref:3238992)   #98
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Not necessarily directly on topic but very interesting all the same.
This is from the single seater sub forum in a post about a young driver, The curious case of Matheo Tuscher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cammish View Post
Ivan for sure talent does matter but you need the holy grail of talent and access to around 8,000,000 euros for your 5 years in junior motorsport below F1, so it is a very rarified few who have this combination. Many parents pay advisers, who see them as cash cows and suggest that certain doors can be opened , when this does not happen the whole thing falls over and the dispirited parents feel let down and leave the sport. I hope that this lad gets other opportunities , 16 is way too young to retire from any sport.

I read Autosports look at the Brit guys doing F3 euroseries it was a little sad for a long time motorsport fan like me and one with a vested interest but it does make you realise more and more were higher level sub F1 single seat motorsport is going, as there is no external sponsorship available and why should there be when you think about.

I think the golden years of of motorsport that I remember were largely fueled by tobacco sponsorships and other products which will never comeback, the sport will never produce another Mansell or Villeneuve but it will produce another Senna in due course as Senna with his enormous family wealth is in fact the model you need to succeed, talent is not the preserve of rich or disadvantaged it is I think "born in" so people will emerge and in that sense the sport still has merits even though it is very cruel.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 20:53 (Ref:3239418)   #99
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Before tobacco sponsorship, you could even run in F1 on a shoestring... Read books such as 'Alf Francis - Race Mechanic'.

The Golden Age of motorsport depends how old you are!
Old 16 May 2013, 05:21 (Ref:3248231)   #100
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
It is a pity this thread died although not necessarily a surprise since it was seeking genuine discussion and ideas (positives)
Is this what NZ motorsport has become? An opportunity to nit-pic and scoff rather than any sort of constructive behaviour.

Perhaps our strength (compact population - lots of circuits and opportunities) is our weakness (small economy, every voice wants to be heard, too many low quality promoted meetings)

What I actually don't understand is why so many competitors think the 'be all and end all' is how many bodies there are in the stands. In real terms there is little benefit from using motorsport for building brand awareness at anything other than a top level meeting with TV. Any even then, the name on the car alone is worthless unless supported by other activies.

I feel that largely, if left alone, the top can sort itself out. Underneath that the focus needs to be by the competitors, for the competitors.