Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jul 2021, 08:33 (Ref:4061546)   #76
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Sainz was passing. Russell made a basic mistake, locked up and clattered into him. It was fairly obvious he was going to get a penalty.
Nowadays, perhaps it was obvious, but I don’t understand the nature of these rulings. What happened to tough luck? Clearly, Russell didn’t lock up on purpose, so why is he punished, as though he were committing a misdemeanour?

The stewards’ ruling, as read on formula1.com:

Quote:
The stewards ruling said: "Cars 63 [Russell] and 55 [Sainz] approached turn 6 with Car 63 on the inside, in the middle of the track, and Car 55 on the outside. Car 63 locked the front brakes briefly and then understeered towards the edge of the track at the exit of the turn and contacted Car 55, which was forced off the circuit and on to the grass. Car 63 is judged at fault for the incident."
Old 18 Jul 2021, 08:34 (Ref:4061548)   #77
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was hoping that Hamilton and Verstappen would DNF and have to start from the back of the grid but sadly that did not happen.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 08:56 (Ref:4061551)   #78
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Then what would be the point of the sprint rac....thingywatsit? What are they risking their cars and competing for if not grid positions and no points (outside top 3)
if im coming 5th or lower i will just trundle round carefully at a medium pace wave at the fans, stop and take photos, and not care if im 4th or 20th.. makes zero difference.
I meant the "title" pole position and start from pole in the sprint not the race.

So winner qualy get's 1 point and the title "pole position".

Sprint decides starting positions for the race and points (3 - 2 -1).

And then the race as usual.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 09:17 (Ref:4061553)   #79
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Nowadays, perhaps it was obvious, but I don’t understand the nature of these rulings. What happened to tough luck? Clearly, Russell didn’t lock up on purpose, so why is he punished, as though he were committing a misdemeanour?

The stewards’ ruling, as read on formula1.com:
I thought that the main idea behind Sprint Qualifying was to encourage close & exciting racing? Close racing can create this kind of unintentional contact and now they're showing that they will impose penalties for it thereby discouraging close racing!
Looks like the problem that caused all of this falling over whatever to call the new concept has been solved. Welcome to Sprint Processions where the qualifying positions for the Grand Prix are the same as this 'race', but the top 3 qualifiers also get extra points...
Old 18 Jul 2021, 09:30 (Ref:4061554)   #80
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It seems it didn't quite work how it should. And yes this punishment for every contact has gone too far. Incidents are going to happen in racing. Punish the dirty and dangerous stuff, but not incidents due to innocent mistakes

I personally don't think this sprint race really replaced the excitement of qualifying. Focus on the more important things in F1 that need to be solved. Qualifying is fine, although it would be good to see two qualifying sessions like the old days to make Friday more exciting
Old 18 Jul 2021, 09:49 (Ref:4061564)   #81
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It seems it didn't quite work how it should. And yes this punishment for every contact has gone too far. Incidents are going to happen in racing. Punish the dirty and dangerous stuff, but not incidents due to innocent mistakes

I personally don't think this sprint race really replaced the excitement of qualifying.
It didn’t replace it. The qualifying was just as exciting as normal I thought.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 10:13 (Ref:4061568)   #82
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I was hoping that Hamilton and Verstappen would DNF and have to start from the back of the grid but sadly that did not happen.
That's what I was banking on too in my predictions contest entry!

Overall though 2 races a weekend is great i'm all for it. Maybe reverse the top 8 from the sprint for the main race though.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 10:42 (Ref:4061582)   #83
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
You are asking the stewards to make a judgement on the intent of the driver and the seriousness of the infraction. That's fine, but if they did that there would be howls of protest as one incident gets a different outcome to another apparently very similar one. We can either have either judgement or consistency, we can't have both.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 11:51 (Ref:4061594)   #84
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
You are asking the stewards to make a judgement on the intent of the driver and the seriousness of the infraction. That's fine, but if they did that there would be howls of protest as one incident gets a different outcome to another apparently very similar one. We can either have either judgement or consistency, we can't have both.
Yep, a fine mess we've got ourselves into. The 'racing incident' seems to no longer exist. If there is fault (whether deliberate or completely unintentional (as in GR's case), it seems that it has to be punished. So what would have happened if GR had no choice but to run wide and 'force' CS off because of an incident in front of him? Still merit punishment is anyone's eyes? We need some stewards with gonads large enough to say enough of this cobblers, we're not going to investigate and penalise every little contretemps.... As has always been the case in racing, what goes around comes around - let's eat some cake for goodness sake.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 13:26 (Ref:4061611)   #85
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As with other sports they should an element of judgement, but as mentioned some people can’t cope with that.

I’m going to add this to my little theory that the main thing wrong with the sport are us fans.

We want the sport to be relevant, but we want V12s. We want cars to be fast, but have close racing. We want the cars to be evenly matched, but want variety. We want the cars to be perfect, by moan when they are predictable. We want racing, but want to punish when it doesn’t quite work. We want fair racing, but are fine when our driver weaves.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 13:34 (Ref:4061614)   #86
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We are a fickle bunch!

Still cant get over the size of this crowd.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 13:43 (Ref:4061617)   #87
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Although the weather might be more surprising!
Old 18 Jul 2021, 13:43 (Ref:4061618)   #88
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
We are a fickle bunch!

Still cant get over the size of this crowd.
They’re one short too. should have been there . Got a few friends their, but I couldn't join.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 13:48 (Ref:4061622)   #89
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Nice to see a good crowd, how it should be. Don’t worry if you weren’t able to go this year, there’s always next year. Looking forward to the race
Old 18 Jul 2021, 13:53 (Ref:4061625)   #90
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Some tire games going on here?

Havent seen last minute tire changes on the grid in a long time.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 14:03 (Ref:4061634)   #91
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
No fun...everyone on mediums.

Surprising after the blisters yesterday and full fuel loads???
Old 18 Jul 2021, 14:06 (Ref:4061637)   #92
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Initially a clean start but both Super Max and Lewis collide at Copse.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 14:06 (Ref:4061638)   #93
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
damn it.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 14:07 (Ref:4061640)   #94
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Wow...they touched for sure right?
Old 18 Jul 2021, 14:08 (Ref:4061641)   #95
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
How is everyone? You all OK.

Brain shrapnel everywhere.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 14:09 (Ref:4061643)   #96
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
yep.

I DEMAND CONSISTENCY!

WHY WON’T THEY LET THEM RACE?

Delete as appropriate.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 14:11 (Ref:4061645)   #97
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
that tire was flying around the car in a very dangerous way.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 14:11 (Ref:4061646)   #98
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not the best of moves by Hamilton.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 14:12 (Ref:4061648)   #99
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Lewis caught Super Max's right rear. tearing it off.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 14:14 (Ref:4061651)   #100
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some of the most fun racing of the year until it wasn't.