Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 4 Oct 2007, 07:26 (Ref:2030534)   #76
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
I still think it's a granddaddies bike...

I noticed it is fitted with abs at the front, I wonder if that is allowed in WSBK. BMW never use a chain to get the power on the back wheel, but a cardan-design (is that the correct English word?), an axle-gear power distribution. I still fail to see the advantages of this.

A few years back one of the support races during a Motogp weekend was with BMW bikes. I believe Mamola also did some races. I remember when they came by us at Assen (with the old banked corners) the cylinder head protection was touching the ground. BMW still use the flat V design, so it will be very interesting to see them in WSBK.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 07:42 (Ref:2030542)   #77
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
I wonder if they'd chose all german riders to ride it. Hoffman and the guy who won from a lap down in the wet at donnington.
Nah, I bet it'll be Jeremy McWilliams (who will only be 82 by that time) and Gary McCoy, to do the crashtests .
Old 4 Oct 2007, 14:41 (Ref:2030940)   #78
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
Nah, I bet it'll be Jeremy McWilliams (who will only be 82 by that time) and Gary McCoy, to do the crashtests .
Talk about grandaddies!
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:26 (Ref:2030982)   #79
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~6~id~155340.htm

Team KR had an opportunity to run with MV Agusta in WSBK. The chance was there.
It seems it is MV that is backing away from the whole WSBK adventure. I think it would be a great partnership, KR and MV!
Old 7 Oct 2007, 18:24 (Ref:2034205)   #80
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Think its a bit harsh to say Foggy and his team threw the Petronas money down the drain, the company pulled out of all motorsport sponsorhip at the same time, not sure if they still ahve involvement in F1.

The FP1 was a very good bike, its just that the team couldnt really do anything about the rule changes that made their bike an also ran.

PLease rememebr when making stupid comments that the bike scored a few pole positions, got podiums and led races, with a 40hp disadvantage and an angine designed by a bloke who never saw the chassis when he designed the engine! And all he done previously was make slipper clutches!!

I think its a shame for Foggy, I am not a huge fan of his, but his team were very professional and I think they did OK with a totally outclassed bike.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 10:42 (Ref:2034836)   #81
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Ten Kate have announced their army of riders for 2008.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~5~id~155589.htm

WSB rides: Carlos Checa, Ryuichi Kiyonari and Kenan Sofuoglu.

WSS rides: Andrew Pitt and Jonathan Rea.

A nice combination of new talent and experience, although I still don't know what to expect from Carlos Checa (he did well in the Suzuka 8hr).

Although Sebastien Charpentier has signed a contract with Hannspree Althea for 2008, he announced his retirement from motorracing yesterday.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 21:15 (Ref:2035328)   #82
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
AM really disappointed that they have chosen Checa really, yes Kiyo was a shoe in really and I think will shock a few people, but Checa is not really at a level and has no superbike experience at all, maybe someone like Zemke perhaps would ahve been better coz he could have used his experience of developing the US bikes, though I dont really rate him that much either!! Was a tough call for Ten Kate but I would have liked to see them take a risk maybe.

Even put Pitty on the big bike and do without Checa altogether, at least he knows the tracka bit more!
Old 9 Oct 2007, 07:20 (Ref:2035568)   #83
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
What do you think about this than? Lorenzo Lanzi will ride a Ducati 1098 in 2008 for a new WSB team, Team RG (who rode with Gianluca Vizziello in the supersport class this year). This team is run by very rich owners, I find it amazing that they want to throw their money down the drain with such a rider and with a new bike that will most probably get restrictions throughout the season...
Old 9 Oct 2007, 09:35 (Ref:2035675)   #84
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
agree chunder with the checa ride - pitt would've been a better option , tho i would've kept pitt on this year's yamaha instead of corser aswell...
Old 9 Oct 2007, 20:57 (Ref:2036275)   #85
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why the hell has Checa got a ride at Ten Kate?

That will be a waste of a seat...
Old 10 Oct 2007, 07:17 (Ref:2036551)   #86
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
I don't know, he seemed to have impressed during the 8hours of Suzuka (his first time on the CBR1000RR).

Last year everybody was really impressed with what he was doing on the Tech 3 Yamaha.

Now everybody is slagging him off again (and why?), therefore I want him to do really good, really! I hope he'll kick ass in 2008 (and finish 3rd behind the two Yamahas ).
Old 10 Oct 2007, 08:36 (Ref:2036611)   #87
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Compared to the other private Honda guys, Checa has done okay in MotoGP this year. Biaggi looked over the hill, and has ended up being really strong in WSB this year. Maybe Pitt would have been a better option, especially as none of their WSB riders have any experience, but Checa shouldn't be written off yet.

As mentioned a few threads back, young riders rarely shine in the works Ducati team. A new environment might be just what Lanzi needs.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 16:21 (Ref:2037837)   #88
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I thitnk the reason for most peoples disappointent with the Checa thing is that the guy just gets good rides every year without really winning anything!

Now I lauded him last year and was very much in favout of him staying in GP, but that was when you jad guys like Rolfo, Cardoso and Jacque making a mockery of things, this year he has had probably the worsy Honda with Nakano, the one that gets all the bits after everyone else, so very hard to judge, other than to say he was miles better than Shinya, he got good rides at Jerez, Germany etc, so maybe he does deserve a ri8de.

But I also think that with Kiyo they already have a provne championship winner, maybe he doesnt know Pirellis, but he is riding a faster bike in BSB! Its a full HRC bike remember so I dont think he is gonna be slow, I just hoped they would have gone with proven, but maybe someone a bit younger and more hungry like say Byrne or maybe Haslam.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 09:25 (Ref:2043371)   #89
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
What more do you want when you've been in Motogp for around 10 years, earning lots of money, than have a years vacation, than spend a year in WSBK earning more money....???? Easy, MORE MONEY

Unfortunately Suzuki can't afford this, so Biaggi will not ride for Suzuki in 2008

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wsbk...es_suzuki.html

He should become Forum Host at 10/10ths, he should have no problem fitting in here with that kind of behaviour
Old 18 Oct 2007, 14:46 (Ref:2043651)   #90
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You'd think he'd rather be winning races with a shot at a title (for a bit less money). Instead he's talking to Gresini? Another great career move.

Quote:
He should become Forum Host at 10/10ths, he should have no problem fitting in here with that kind of behaviour
Thanks...I think!
Old 23 Oct 2007, 07:59 (Ref:2048714)   #91
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
The unofficial 2008 WSBK calender (not FIM approved (yet))

23 feb Qatar Losail
2 mrch Phillip Island
6 aprl Valencia
27 aprl Assen
11 may Monza
1 june Miller Motor Sports Park (wsbk only)
15 june tba
29 june Misano
20 juli Brno
3 august Brands Hatch
24 august tba
7 september Silverstone
28 september Vallelunga
5 october Magny-Cours
26 october Portugal Portimao
Old 23 Oct 2007, 14:22 (Ref:2049042)   #92
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The unofficial 2008 WSBK calender (not FIM approved (yet))

23 feb Qatar Losail
2 mrch Phillip Island
6 aprl Valencia
27 aprl Assen
11 may Monza
1 june Miller Motor Sports Park (wsbk only)
15 june tba
29 june Misano
20 juli Brno
3 august Brands Hatch
24 august tba
7 september Silverstone
28 september Vallelunga
5 october Magny-Cours
26 october Portugal Portimao
Not Eurocentric at all.
Old 23 Oct 2007, 15:36 (Ref:2049277)   #93
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Better than 2007.

In the end, what does it matter? WSBK has been the most enjoyable motor-racing series in 2007 and there where only 2 races outside Europe. Who cares.
Old 23 Oct 2007, 16:41 (Ref:2049349)   #94
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
It's a bit better than last year. Curious about the tba spots though.

Can anyone tell me about the Portugal track?
Old 23 Oct 2007, 16:46 (Ref:2049355)   #95
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
No idea about Portugal, theya re really pushing for race events, had a superb round of WTCC there this year.

Interestig thing for me today was the BMW announcement. They are clearly not messing about and looking for money, the team is being set up next year to test and develop the bike, with a full scale assault in 2009.

I think this is a huge fillip for SBK and Flammini as BMW are heavily involved in MotoGP after all.

Maybe they might end up in GP eventually but its huge for BMW to be in superbikes, forst time for a very long time they ahve had a worls team, maybe since the 50's
Old 23 Oct 2007, 22:21 (Ref:2049728)   #96
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Had a Google Round for the Portimao circuit, the only thing that came up was a reference on another forums site from 2005 !!!

According to the posts on that, it was apparently much dependant on central Government funding, to host at least F1 testing and other races.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 07:30 (Ref:2049913)   #97
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
It's a bit better than last year. Curious about the tba spots though.

Can anyone tell me about the Portugal track?
I expect one of the tba spots to be Istanbul.

The 7th September round will be at Donington, not Silverstone (thank God).

News re Portugal track:
http://portugalresident.com/portugal...y.asp?ID=20838
Doesn't sound that positive to be honoust.

Kawasaki PSG-1 has signed Ayrton Badovini (he raced an MV-Agusta in 2007 in the Superstock series and finished 9th in the final standings). It is not yet clear if Badovini will become teammate of Laconi or if he will ride for the Pedercini team.

Last edited by Gerben24; 24 Oct 2007 at 07:36.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 07:48 (Ref:2049926)   #98
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Interestig thing for me today was the BMW announcement. They are clearly not messing about and looking for money, the team is being set up next year to test and develop the bike, with a full scale assault in 2009.
I also read the BMW announcement. I think it is great for WSBK. The interesting thing is that I'm reading stories about a 4-inline 1000cc bike. I don't know much about BMW bikes, but am I right in thinking this will be a completely new bike? Currently they don't have a 1000cc 4 cilinder do they?

I know they have a 1200cc twin and therefore I'm surprised they haven't gone that route, now that the new regulations allow this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by post on crash.net
Hope there's no truth in the rumour that there riders will be wearing flip-up helmets, gortex jackets and flourescent sam brownes.
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wsbk...bk_attack.html
Old 24 Oct 2007, 08:50 (Ref:2049983)   #99
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
They have used 4 cylinder bikes before yes, indeed the engine in the K1200 was an inline 4, but they tend to do different things like they them down flat or something.

Dont forget also that the K series Rover engine has base designs within BMW, they know how to build 4 cylinder high powered engines, remember the Mader tuned F2 engines, the M3 motor and of course their F1 turbo engine was only 4 cylinder!

Put it this way other than a Jap tuner if I wanted someone to build me a 4 pot bike engine I would probably go to BMW!
Old 24 Oct 2007, 09:05 (Ref:2049997)   #100
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Yeah, but would you chose to run a 4 cilinder 1000cc engine or a 1200cc twin?