Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Apr 2012, 17:24 (Ref:3056596)   #1001
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Michelin were making and developing tires for a car that didn't exist.

If each musician practised individually in an orchestra, and played the piece perfectly the first time they've been thrown together, I'd call that luck.

I agree, there's a combination of hard work and luck.
The first time you build anything, it's like that. In the old days, everybody shared a lot of drawings. Nowdays, with 3D CAD, everybody can share a complete CAD model and keep it pretty up-to-date. Boeing had a really good system going until they decided to outsource a lot of stuff and their subcontractors fell down on the job, but with the 777 the first one went together a lot smoother than they did in the old days.

I think the difference here is the vehicle dynamics are so different from the usual, everybody's working well outside of what they are used to. The result will be when Le Mans comes around, this vehicle will still have a lot more potential for development than usual and if you are competing under normal rules, if you don't have it at 98% or better, you won't be competitive. If this program is allowed to continue, they might be able to improve 5 seconds a lap or more.

My sister is a professional cellist and she's worked on some movie soundtracks. She's told me that sometimes there's just one take. Other times, they try it two or three different ways, all of them sound good, and somebody later makes the decision which to use.

With that and something like this, the key is really good people working on the project. With really good people, some pretty impressive stuff becomes possible.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 12:42 (Ref:3057793)   #1002
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This might be cool, Nissan has a camera crew following the Deltawing around and will be doing installments of the cars attempt at Le Mans, starting with wind tunnel testing:

http://www.highcroftracing.com/news/...icks-off.html/
Old 12 Apr 2012, 13:33 (Ref:3057829)   #1003
cheapracer
Rookie

China
cheapracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post

It is always interesting to read the feedback from the drivers on the revolutionary car concept:

"Erik Comas ... 'Well, I can tell you three things for sure. One, it's absolutely the most stable car I've ever driven in a straight line. Two, the braking is phenomenal. And three, I've never experienced a car with better initial turn-in.'
Well that's to be expected when you jump into a 475kg car after a 900kg one (LMP).

Put this triangular footprint on a 900kg foundation and I'm confident the driver report would be somewhat different.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 13:37 (Ref:3057832)   #1004
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapracer View Post
Well that's to be expected when you jump into a 475kg car after a 900kg one (LMP).
Erik Comas has not driven a LMP car since 2006.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 17:31 (Ref:3057930)   #1005
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Regardless of when he last drove an LMP ... fact seems to be, the DWing works, and works about as well as a traditional design.

The issue now is whether it will work Better than a traditional design.

Dilemma: What if a car most people hate actually provides the improved performance those people seek? IndyCar went therough it in the early '60s. Now it's our turn.

I'd hate to see a field of tricycles at Le Mans, but the next generation of racing fans might take it for granted.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 21:55 (Ref:3058068)   #1006
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
With what happened to Toyota, I wonder how many AMR tubs are available for the Deltawing... One testing mishap could really put them in a bind for LM
Old 12 Apr 2012, 21:58 (Ref:3058073)   #1007
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Another interview with Marino Franchitti on the DeltaWing: http://www.lemans.org/en/news/deltaw...rope_6753.html.

Two highlights:
Quote:
The car is completely unique and very different, but Ben has developed the concept to be user-friendly for the driver and that is something we have seen so far, of course there are improvements we want to make, like slowing down the steering as it was turning a little too well to start with, but this is a normal part of the development process.
Quote:
The big change in perception is not having the big wheel arches out to left and right, in the car I now instead see the two small bubble wheel arches out in front of me. People are interested in how difficult it is to place the rear wheels as we don’t apex with the front wheels, I have to say that was very easy for me to get used to.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 22:03 (Ref:3058075)   #1008
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catingaround View Post
With what happened to Toyota, I wonder how many AMR tubs are available for the Deltawing... One testing mishap could really put them in a bind for LM
Six AMR-One tubs have been built. According to http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...-by-pescarolo/ two tubs went to DeltaWing and two to Pescarolo.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 22:19 (Ref:3058083)   #1009
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Six AMR-One tubs have been built. According to http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...-by-pescarolo/ two tubs went to DeltaWing and two to Pescarolo.
Very cool, thanks
Old 17 Apr 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3060964)   #1010
stylish
Rookie

England
United Kingdom
stylish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I have it on good authority that it is currently splashing round @ Snetterton......
Old 17 Apr 2012, 22:33 (Ref:3061197)   #1011
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Found some pics from Snetterton on twitter: http://racersdrive.com/racers-drive-...at-snetterton/

Weather was wet today, wonder what the rest of the week looks like, hope they need this wet testing.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 00:05 (Ref:3061217)   #1012
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looks like it goes round corners.

Old 18 Apr 2012, 00:06 (Ref:3061218)   #1013
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
hmm, do they need special rain tires for the fronts? or just the rears I wonder?
Old 18 Apr 2012, 06:08 (Ref:3061266)   #1014
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmarch12.html

MulsanneMike's musings on the whole Deltawing theme.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 07:08 (Ref:3061284)   #1015
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Nissan at Snet was having the steering 'softened',it was just a little too sensitive,other than that,seems good to go! Has enormous traction,even in the wet.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 09:05 (Ref:3061361)   #1016
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder what the hold-up is with the third driver on this? Surely they will have a third driver?

Whoever it is ideally needs to be getting track time in the car by now.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 10:43 (Ref:3061399)   #1017
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Looks like it goes round corners.

OMG , just look at the hips on that . Remonds me of a farmers wife !!!
Old 18 Apr 2012, 11:03 (Ref:3061412)   #1018
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
OMG , just look at the hips on that . Remonds me of a farmers wife !!!
As a farmer i am deeply offended by that comparison!
Old 18 Apr 2012, 12:21 (Ref:3061456)   #1019
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry mate , someones gotta suffer !!!

Appologies to your better half
Old 18 Apr 2012, 13:26 (Ref:3061497)   #1020
merlot brougham
Racer

United States
Chapel Hill
merlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmerlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mulsanne Mike's analysis was spot-on as usual, even venturing off into speculation territory. Hey, doesn't he realize that is Ten Tenth's domain!

And incidentally, I like big butts. But I still don't like the look of it. Good thing I'm more concerned with function over form for race cars as opposed to form over function for women's butts.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3061575)   #1021
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How on earth are those headlights going to produce enough light to give the drivers good visibility at Le Mans?
Old 18 Apr 2012, 17:53 (Ref:3061595)   #1022
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
The latest edition of RCE has an article by Marshall Pruett on the DeltaWing: http://gb.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issn=0961-1096&p=8
Old 18 Apr 2012, 18:20 (Ref:3061608)   #1023
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
How on earth are those headlights going to produce enough light to give the drivers good visibility at Le Mans?

Dont forget there are four sets,one in each rear wheel cover as well as the pair in front.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 19:52 (Ref:3061665)   #1024
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlot brougham View Post
Mulsanne Mike's analysis was spot-on as usual, even venturing off into speculation territory. Hey, doesn't he realize that is Ten Tenth's domain!

And incidentally, I like big butts. But I still don't like the look of it. Good thing I'm more concerned with function over form for race cars as opposed to form over function for women's butts.
Maybe we could have a seperate thread for this ..... quite an interesting topic !!!

Im a Butt man myself ..... but something that big perched on my nose doesnt do it for me Merlot !!! ..... Black or white .

Eemmm ..... how big is big ?
Old 18 Apr 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3061667)   #1025
The Badger
Veteran

I cant see how the front wheels will work .

We all know the Mulsanne is a public road , much used by heavy trucks . The heavy traffic forms a groove . The rear wheels will nestle into the groove , while the fronts will ride the crest .
Seems to me there will be some very erratic driving style required .

While Im passed slagging the Delta wing off , I do still have some concerns about it . Like the wide rear end with the slim front .

Mark my words ..... if this car starts the race , there will be some major cribs about it from other drivers .

I feel its dangerous , not well thought out , while the principle of it is worthy .