Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Oct 2013, 11:06 (Ref:3323591)   #1051
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lol ... I have to admit, I don't know crap about Petit ... haven't watched it on TV.

As an ignorant trackside observer following on T&S on my phone, I was foolish enough to enjoy the tense first five hours of the P1 battle, the tight race-long P2 battle, and the always intense fight in GT. Falken winning was a fantastic surprise.

Also ... attracting Euro entries not likely with WEC racing the same day, eh?

But I do agree, the merger was needed ... sad that the sluggish rules committee is strangling the entry list.

Glad to see TUSC management recognized that DPs were way too slow for a real race series and is forcing them to speed up drastically----funny part is that it will cost almost as a new car---which is why Starworks is going P2.

The outdated cross-series carping of AC Flinn et al nonwithstanding, I am eager to see how 2014 works out.

The first year could be a BoP jokefest---I am sure the regs will change many times to get the balance right, but I like variety, and there will be some tremendous variety on the grid in 2014.

Daytona won't prove anything about BoP--I expect DPs with extra power and totally trimmed out will be faster---but Sebring will tell a lot. A few long straights and fast corners, a few slow corners, and abusively bumpy pavement---a good chance for both types of cars to show what they can do.

Already working my vacation time and finances to see those two races.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 16:16 (Ref:3323717)   #1052
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just worried when the sandbagging will begin and if it will be as early as next month or until the roar.when will actually get to see the real new potential of the dps,will Imsa know the full potential of the dps and notice the sand bagging and tell them tough luck speed up now.or will a certain engine get a bop break and gain an advantage they don't deserve? I'm more worried about the other tracks they don't have any data on the updated dps that's an even bigger opertunity for the dps to sandbag because of the unknown.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 17:25 (Ref:3323756)   #1053
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
I'm just worried when the sandbagging will begin and if it will be as early as next month or until the roar.when will actually get to see the real new potential of the dps,will Imsa know the full potential of the dps and notice the sand bagging and tell them tough luck speed up now.or will a certain engine get a bop break and gain an advantage they don't deserve? I'm more worried about the other tracks they don't have any data on the updated dps that's an even bigger opertunity for the dps to sandbag because of the unknown.
NASCAR is the one behind the Spirit of Daytona testing. After all, they pretty much own the team. I'm hopeful that whatever testing numbers they bring back are applied to the rest of the DPs.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 17:33 (Ref:3323758)   #1054
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
After a few weeks of announcements I have updated our prototype entry list. Teams listed in red are still possible but unconfirmed. The first 12 in black have been announced (if I am compiling correctly). Please update if I have missed some.

#Proto
1Action Express
2Deltawing
3ESM
4ESM
5Ganassi
6Sahlens
7Sahlens
8Shank
9Shank
10Spirit of Daytona
11Wayne Taylor
12Whelen/Marsh
13P2 team (speedsource?)
14P2 team (speedsource?)
158 Star DP
168 Star P2
17Ganassi - 2nd car
18Gainsco
19Starworks
20Starworks
http://sportscar365.com/wec/8star-mo...th-2014-plans/ looks like no 8 star p2 and maybe 1 or no dp at all or maybe one or two pc's.these damn regs are screwing with everybody.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 17:39 (Ref:3323760)   #1055
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On sandbagging those concerns are no different than any other year. Coming from a centrist perspective as a fan of both series and a bit of an IMSA fan boy, Elkins has been really good in limiting the impact of the political game by teams, at least relative to his past Grand-Am counter parts (Richard Buck's predecessors). So you have Buck, who did a great job for GA in 2012 including balancing new cars in the Ferrari and Audi, and Elkins who has a decent history with ALMS and did a good job adapting to GA this year.

Chris
Old 27 Oct 2013, 20:12 (Ref:3323829)   #1056
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I suppose if we lose some full-time entries there could be some room for one-off entries. Happy now Euro-team fans?
Old 28 Oct 2013, 11:46 (Ref:3324183)   #1057
Brownj
Racer

United States
Georgia, US
Brownj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a Euro entry announced, full time as well:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/ex...ason-p2-entry/

I wonder if Greaves will partner with Dyson racing then? Also, I wonder if Dyson will campaign a Zytek in the P class next year since Greaves has 3 cars available. Or maybe Dyson will just run the car for them with Chris as a driver. Lots to speculate on that one.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 12:11 (Ref:3324197)   #1058
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Or maybe this IS the Dyson entry for next year?
Old 28 Oct 2013, 12:12 (Ref:3324198)   #1059
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownj View Post
Here's a Euro entry announced, full time as well:
Good news. Albeit I don't read that as an announcement. It's intent requiring budget.

That said I think running a Greaves chassis would be a great 2014 stop-gap programme as the series irons out the creases. You're getting superb reliability, a pile of data and knowledge, albeit not on most US tracks.

If you're Dyson (or another team) and you've basically run out of time to pull something together then a turn-key set-up with the potential to go to LM is surely tempting.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 12:37 (Ref:3324219)   #1060
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think atm with all Prototype teams that they planning to enter, but can't confirm anything yet. All because of the regulations and the max gridsizes for each class, etc.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 12:37 (Ref:3324220)   #1061
canciaro
Racer

Canada
Windsor
canciaro is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
http://sportscar365.com/wec/8star-mo...th-2014-plans/ looks like no 8 star p2 and maybe 1 or no dp at all or maybe one or two pc's.these damn regs are screwing with everybody.
Id still rather watch more LMPC cars out there rather than more DP cars

Michigan Football & Basketball, Oregon Football, Detroit Tigers
Old 28 Oct 2013, 12:59 (Ref:3324228)   #1062
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone know if there is chance Rebellion would come over for a few races
with a P2 entry?
Old 28 Oct 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3324232)   #1063
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
with a P2 entry?
I would call that highly improbable. They don't have a P2 car as of right now, and I'm not sure it makes financial sense to obtain one for a few races... then there is the minor issue of entry caps.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 13:10 (Ref:3324235)   #1064
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
with a P2 entry?
That is hard to say. But with their new partnership with Oreca I think it is not impossible to see them for example at Petit Le Mans with a LMP2 Oreca 02-Nissan.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 13:17 (Ref:3324238)   #1065
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would have to be Petit if they were going to do it.

Early in the year they'll be flat out getting their new cars ready.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 13:36 (Ref:3324243)   #1066
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Would have to be Petit if they were going to do it.

Early in the year they'll be flat out getting their new cars ready.
Petit clashes with a WEC round.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 14:30 (Ref:3324267)   #1067
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Petit clashes with a WEC round.
Didn't stop them from splitting their efforts between Petit and Fuji this year.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 14:57 (Ref:3324279)   #1068
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If they had a P2 they could defend their two titles ... unless they were running two cars in WEC that weekend.

I think North American fans need to accept that for the next few years, North American sports car racing has abandoned any sort of global relevance. Our "endurance classics" are no longer important outside of the North America, and won't be again until there is again a global sports car taxonomy.

Hopefully Daytona, Sebring, Watkins Glenn, and Petit will resume their places as important international endurance events in 2017, but until then, I don't see a lot of reason for foreign teams to bother.

If TUSC can prove itself as a series, the races will regain lost prestige, and winning them will seem attractive even to teams not seeking points (Rebellion the past two years.) So long as TUSC is perceived as a fumbling, bumbling sort of pastiche of failures ... winning against a field of supercharged dinosaurs and hobbled thoroughbreds doesn't carry much cachet.

Last edited by Maelochs; 28 Oct 2013 at 15:03.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 15:15 (Ref:3324281)   #1069
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Loving these Euro P2 entries! Hopefully Oak will come and play as well (ahem Conquest!)!

Feeling much better about the future!
Old 28 Oct 2013, 16:38 (Ref:3324309)   #1070
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Didn't stop them from splitting their efforts between Petit and Fuji this year.
No, it didn't stop them from running Petit this year, when they were running Fuji unopposed, and no need to continue to develop the car.

Would they be willing to do such a thing, run a completely different car, when they have competition, are in a championship fight, and need to continue to develop the P1 car?
Old 28 Oct 2013, 20:11 (Ref:3324397)   #1071
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I think North American fans need to accept that for the next few years, North American sports car racing has abandoned any sort of global relevance. Our "endurance classics" are no longer important outside of the North America, and won't be again until there is again a global sports car taxonomy.

Hopefully Daytona, Sebring, Watkins Glenn, and Petit will resume their places as important international endurance events in 2017, but until then, I don't see a lot of reason for foreign teams to bother.

If TUSC can prove itself as a series, the races will regain lost prestige, and winning them will seem attractive even to teams not seeking points (Rebellion the past two years.) So long as TUSC is perceived as a fumbling, bumbling sort of pastiche of failures ... winning against a field of supercharged dinosaurs and hobbled thoroughbreds doesn't carry much cachet.
This is my nomination for post of the year. And I'll suggest perhaps NASCAR is totally fine with this being the current state of affairs??? If Indycar wasn't already killing itself I wouldn't be surprised if they bought that too.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 20:34 (Ref:3324414)   #1072
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
If they had a P2 they could defend their two titles ... unless they were running two cars in WEC that weekend.

If Sebring has lost international prestige it is only because the WEC abandoned it last year.

Andy Flinn
Old 28 Oct 2013, 20:39 (Ref:3324418)   #1073
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFlinn View Post
If Sebring has lost international prestige it is only because the WEC abandoned it last year.

Andy Flinn
It was prestigious far before the WEC existed and you know that...
The inability for the big guns of international racing to participate (not just P1, but all Le Mans classes) is what will make it fall from grace. Having a DP potentially as an overall winner of the second most important sportscar race will devalue it pretty quickly.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3324427)   #1074
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
This is my nomination for post of the year. And I'll suggest perhaps NASCAR is totally fine with this being the current state of affairs??? If Indycar wasn't already killing itself I wouldn't be surprised if they bought that too.
You're right. Sebring's and Petit's "international prestige" haven't suffered from the death of Peugeot and Penske LMP programs, Audi's pull-out of the ALMS, abandonment by the WEC, and the subsequent sale of the ALMS.

Instead, it's all NASCAR's fault. It always is.

Andy Flinn
Old 28 Oct 2013, 21:08 (Ref:3324436)   #1075
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
After the suggestions a week or so back that GAINSCO/Bob Stallings might be taking a 'hiatus' next season, they've now confirmed that they're in- although maybe not full-season.
Stallings says they'll do the at least the endurance rounds at least, and possibly more- decision on that will come in a couple of weeks

http://www.racer.com/gainscobob-stal...rticle/318324/