Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 23 May 2013, 22:48 (Ref:3252441)   #1151
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeballin View Post
I'm sure the France family is rethinking everything now.

You still posting at CW predicting the imminent demise of IndyCar?
Why yes i am, thanks for asking.
Old 23 May 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3252443)   #1152
gregtummer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
Let me get that for you:

Looks like HORNDAWG left.

I guess he is incapable of communicating without the ROFL icon.

Last edited by gregtummer; 23 May 2013 at 22:59.
Old 23 May 2013, 23:36 (Ref:3252456)   #1153
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post

Hmmm...

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 24 May 2013, 00:32 (Ref:3252463)   #1154
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
USCR at Laguna Seca in 2014...?

Almost afraid to post, this forum is so much bigger than my old americanlemansfans forum.....

Had an email exchange this week with the ticketing manager at Laguna Seca about how priority for camping sites at Laguna Seca would be handled if USCR visits there in 2014 (would ALMS or GrandAm campers get first right of refusal, etc). This was after several responses of 'we aren't sure' in the past because I am assuming it is going to be hard on them since the ALMS camping has been closer to capacity than Grand Am. She indicated that priority would 'probably' be given to Grand Am campers, which makes sense given what the 'merger' really was....heck, I'm not sure how many ALMS fans will really want to go anyhow, I know most of the alms forum folks I spoke to this year are gonna pass for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, I snatched a couple of corkscrew view spots (kind of like personal seating licenses I suppose) for this year's race so I have first right of refusal next year if it goes down like they are thinking.

Just thought I would share.

ps. trying to keep my alms passion alive for the rest of the season, but the finish at Laguna this year is making it really hard to care...sucks.
Old 24 May 2013, 00:36 (Ref:3252465)   #1155
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
Almost afraid to post, this forum is so much bigger than my old americanlemansfans forum.....
Stay in the "sports car and GT racing" forum, and you won't get lost.
You'll get used to the new format quickly.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 24 May 2013, 00:40 (Ref:3252467)   #1156
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 962 View Post
But they are not mutually exclusive either, you say GA is not a success but yet it survives, while the ALMS which was hugely successfull does not. And I would say that while apparently ALMS is a prime example of popularity not equaling success why was it that ALMS was unable to take their obviously overwhelming popularity and produce a successfull series.

I'm currious why exactly do people think if GA was such a failure did NASCAR keep it. Last time I checked they are not in the buisness of keeping anything that is not making money.

GA Rolex survived through subsidizing a majority of the DP grid. The ALMS didn't fail, they chose to sell to NASCAR.

You are correct, the ALMS was unable to take their at track popularity, and turn it into the success most thought it should be. Through management errors, or just inability, they couldn't make it work.

Grand AM makes money, but we don't know how that income is earned. I suspect the profit mostly comes from Conti and the other support series, which have been wildly successful, but they need a headliner in the Rolex. In purchasing the ALMS, I would guess they are hoping they'll keep the larger fanbase that the ALMS had. Based on what has been said so far, I doubt they will.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 24 May 2013 at 00:46.
Old 24 May 2013, 00:47 (Ref:3252468)   #1157
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
As Andy Blackmore said on Facebook, maybe filling this out will have a small impact on the future of the USCR:
http://www.grand-am.com/News/GA_News...cid=6383&sid=1
I hope everyone listed ten-tenths as one of the sites they frequently visit for sportscar news!
Old 24 May 2013, 00:56 (Ref:3252471)   #1158
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I hope everyone listed ten-tenths as one of the sites they frequently visit for sportscar news!
I certainly did, no need to visit other news sites anymore
Old 24 May 2013, 01:01 (Ref:3252472)   #1159
gregtummer
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh99 View Post
Me too.
Old 24 May 2013, 01:14 (Ref:3252474)   #1160
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh99 View Post
Quote:
Me too.
Same, and with the ALMS version of the survey as well
Old 24 May 2013, 01:19 (Ref:3252476)   #1161
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks everyone! I did find the first part of the survey kind of funny in asking what could make you want to visit the GA site more. Don't they really mean what do you want to see on the uscr site?
Old 24 May 2013, 01:31 (Ref:3252481)   #1162
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

you through with the little self serving circle jerk? Sorry I was not at your beck and call, NOT!
NASCAR was born and raised on the dirt and then short tracks of rural America. Hell you couldn't even spit without hitting a NASCAR sanctioned track, there were 5 within 70 miles of home, now you have to go 250 miles to get to a track that NASCAR visits. They had a monopoly and walked away from it in dirt track stock car racing. So no they do not wish to control ALL of racing.

L.P.
Old 24 May 2013, 01:36 (Ref:3252482)   #1163
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks everyone! I did find the first part of the survey kind of funny in asking what could make you want to visit the GA site more. Don't they really mean what do you want to see on the uscr site?
Yeah, basically I alluded to that also in my response to the survey. They need to concentrate on getting the USCR site fully up and running with all the kinks ironed out. Ten-Tenths was at the top of the list.

L.P.
Old 24 May 2013, 01:48 (Ref:3252484)   #1164
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How slow and lame will next year be? No P1 and look how much the P2 will neutered. Starworks are testing a DP at Sebring as per Ryan Dalziel's Twitter feed. On similar track conditions here are his quotes:

Ryan Dalziel ‏@ryan_dalziel
As promised some @starworksmotor DP vs P2 Sebring full course comparisons coming your way. Using a 1.51.8 P2 (practice lap) and 1.56.9 DP.

Comps from Mid corner min speeds
T1 - DP 9mph slower
T3 - DP 3mph slower
T5 - DP 6mph slower
Hairpin - DP 4mph slower
T10 - DP 6mph slower

Tower - DP 8mph slower
T15 - DP 14mph slower (very fast in P2 car 100+mph)
T16 - DP 7mph slower
T17 - DP 7mph slower (DP better over bumps)

Sum interestin stuff
DP almost match P2 brakin for T3 & Hairpin but is about 250ft earlier for T17
Biggest loss is T15 (2nd fastest corner)
Old 24 May 2013, 02:22 (Ref:3252490)   #1165
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
How slow and lame will next year be? No P1 and look how much the P2 will neutered. Starworks are testing a DP at Sebring as per Ryan Dalziel's Twitter feed. On similar track conditions here are his quotes:

As promised some @starworksmotor DP vs P2 Sebring full course comparisons coming your way. Using a 1.51.8 P2 (practice lap) and 1.56.9 DP.

T1 - DP 9mph slower
T3 - DP 3mph slower
T5 - DP 6mph slower
Hairpin - DP 4mph slower
T10 - DP 6mph slower

Tower - DP 8mph slower
T16 - DP 7mph slower

Sum interestin stuff
Lord above things are looking bleak. IMO LMP2 cars are too slow to be the top class as is but if they are as slow as the DP's that is ridiculous. LMP2 cars will have to have a HUGE weight and power penalty to get down to a DP laptime, that or someone will have to get very imaginative with the DP's to bring them up to speed. How long will the test last for at Sebring?
Old 24 May 2013, 03:12 (Ref:3252496)   #1166
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice View Post
Lord above things are looking bleak. IMO LMP2 cars are too slow to be the top class as is but if they are as slow as the DP's that is ridiculous. LMP2 cars will have to have a HUGE weight and power penalty to get down to a DP laptime, that or someone will have to get very imaginative with the DP's to bring them up to speed. How long will the test last for at Sebring?
No way they will cut power on the P2 engines. I think they will force them to run the low downforce Le Mans aero at all the tracks to cut cornering speeds. Plus this makes them more authentic Le Mans cars. Win/win.
If they can't speed the DP's up enough with improved aero, ballast removal, and a slight opening of engine restrictors, I think they will add ballast weight to the P2's as a last resort.
Old 24 May 2013, 03:18 (Ref:3252497)   #1167
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

T1 - DP 9mph slower
T3 - DP 3mph slower
T5 - DP 6mph slower
Hairpin - DP 4mph slower
T10 - DP 6mph slower

Tower - DP 8mph slower
T16 - DP 7mph slower

Sum interestin stuff
He also said the P2 was 5mph faster on the backstraight which was surprising after the Conquest P2 tested at Daytona and was reported to be slower than the DP's on the front and backstretch at Daytona.
But he also said the car is set up for high downforce since this is a test for the race in Detroit, and if they were testing FOR Sebring they would run less and aero and he estimated a 1:54 or 1:55 lap time.
Old 24 May 2013, 03:32 (Ref:3252498)   #1168
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But P2 are already too slow to be a top class even with no adjustments and any reductions will back them up into or behind PC and GTLM. Since they're stuck with this mess they should have just merged PC into the P2/DP class but I assume they wanted to maintain a pro-am class. This just keeps getting worse. I am definitely not going to any races for the foreseeable future unless they run with the WEC at Austin again next year. Many others seem to feel the same. They can do all the surveys they want but they are stuck with a losing formula for the next 2 year at least. So frustrating.
Old 24 May 2013, 03:47 (Ref:3252499)   #1169
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But P2 are already too slow to be a top class even with no adjustments and any reductions will back them up into or behind PC and GTLM. Since they're stuck with this mess they should have just merged PC into the P2/DP class but I assume they wanted to maintain a pro-am class. This just keeps getting worse. I am definitely not going to any races for the foreseeable future unless they run with the WEC at Austin again next year. Many others seem to feel the same. They can do all the surveys they want but they are stuck with a losing formula for the next 2 year at least. So frustrating.
Too right, as I've said before, you only need to take a look at some of the tracks in the WEC schedule or ALMS to see that the net result of the slower P2's is that everyone goes barrelling into a corner at the same time and that P2's have a real struggle trying to out drag PC and GTE cars. Given that GTE is a mainstay for USCR and that the grids are going to be big, slowing them up is making a big problem bigger.
Old 24 May 2013, 03:53 (Ref:3252501)   #1170
gregtummer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
you through with the little self serving circle jerk? Sorry I was not at your beck and call, NOT!
There is no reason to get angry, bro. We can have a civil discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
NASCAR was born and raised on the dirt and then short tracks of rural America. Hell you couldn't even spit without hitting a NASCAR sanctioned track, there were 5 within 70 miles of home, now you have to go 250 miles to get to a track that NASCAR visits. They had a monopoly and walked away from it in dirt track stock car racing. So no they do not wish to control ALL of racing.

L.P.
NASCAR sanctioned does not mean that NASCAR owns the track. Bowman Grey is a NASCAR sanctioned track and NASCAR nor ISC owns it.

If NASCAR doesn't want a monopoly, why did NASCAR buy 10 tracks in a 10-year period? Why did they try to also buy Kentucky, Loudon, and try to get the owners to sell Pocono?

Why will ISC (and SMI for that matter) only move CUP dates between tracks in their own entities?
Old 24 May 2013, 04:43 (Ref:3252505)   #1171
gregtummer
Veteran

Quote:

T1 - DP 9mph slower
T3 - DP 3mph slower
T5 - DP 6mph slower
Hairpin - DP 4mph slower
T10 - DP 6mph slower

Tower - DP 8mph slower
T16 - DP 7mph slower

Sum interestin stuff
Johnny O'Connel took the GT1 pole in 2008 at 1:56.269.
Old 24 May 2013, 05:04 (Ref:3252507)   #1172
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Because they want a monopoly on US auto racing.

NASCAR
Motorcycles
Sports Cars

Now they will go after Indy Cars, drag racing, and then the dirt tracks.
Quote:
There is no reason to get angry, bro. We can have a civil discussion.

NASCAR sanctioned does not mean that NASCAR owns the track. Bowman Grey is a NASCAR sanctioned track and NASCAR nor ISC owns it.

If NASCAR doesn't want a monopoly, why did NASCAR buy 10 tracks in a 10-year period? Why did they try to also buy Kentucky, Loudon, and try to get the owners to sell Pocono?

Why will ISC (and SMI for that matter) only move CUP dates between tracks in their own entities?
I'm not angry.
Are you really trying to suggest that your tone was civil?

This dog don't hunt! First post says they want a monopoly on racing, then this latest states tracks. They are two different animals!

L.P.
Old 24 May 2013, 05:21 (Ref:3252509)   #1173
awegrzyn
Racer

awegrzyn has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
You are correct, the ALMS was unable to take their at track popularity, and turn it into the success most thought it should be. Through management errors, or just inability, they couldn't make it work.
I disagree with the above. ALMS was as successful as it could be, and I think there were no more people in the US of A that would watch sports cars. That I think is a fact most people fail to observe.

Sure there were few things here and there that would make ALMS money, but my feeling is there will not be any sports car series in the future attracting so many fans.
Old 24 May 2013, 06:23 (Ref:3252516)   #1174
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
With a pool of 340 million people (US and Canada), and there aren't any more potential Sportscar fans than we've already seen?! That's BULL! And it would be more like 460 million if you could tap in to Mexico.

The series NEEDS to be marketed effectively, and be perfectly willing to bring on board brand names with a following, regardless of whether they're high-end and/or automotive-related companies.

I have no doubt more people would watch if they knew it existed, could find it fairly easily, and could readily watch it live and otherwise. Covering the first gets you a LONG way toward accomplishing the second and third items.
Old 24 May 2013, 07:10 (Ref:3252521)   #1175
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

T1 - DP 9mph slower
T3 - DP 3mph slower
T5 - DP 6mph slower
Hairpin - DP 4mph slower
T10 - DP 6mph slower

Tower - DP 8mph slower
T16 - DP 7mph slower

Sum interestin stuff
You've been (deliberately?) leaving out some of Dalziel's tweets on the subject, though. Let me add them for you:

Quote:
@mike_hedlund you'd think so but not. We were running full/max DP aero for Detroit so top speed was slow. Was actually between 1-2mph slower

but like i said we were running more aero than we should have for Detroit testing. Realistically id say our corner speeds....

....should have been slower than they were and straightline faster than we were if we were trying to tune for Sebring only.
So with the long straights at Sebring their overall deficit would probably have been less with a full Sebring setup.